• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Certain stuff needs to be kept off the boards. People lurk all the time, and the last thing I need is someone reading about something random I do on the boards and then being ready for it in tournament.

That said, I should probably stop teaching Yedi my Doc tricks since it's not like he uses Doc anymore and was terrible with him anyway. Seems like all he wants to do is troll, so I gotta protect my assets.
So you mean Yedi knows all your secrets? *aims him*

otg

Smash Master
Yedi def knows a few, but I got the master vault.

Anyway, I figured we should take a leaf from the Falcon boards and try to actually make our thread somewhat productive. I'll try my best to answer any questions you guys have, and hopefully Shroomed or someone who knows everything like Kirbykaze will come in here and help out as well.

Sup Dogy?

Shroomed

Smash Master
How to stop/beat/counter Fox SHNair-->Shine? For simplicity, lets say that he lands in front of you.
you have about 3 options

trade by using utilt

move the **** out of the way

try to space urself to where you can grab him after the nair/shine w/o getting hit

otg

Smash Master
Shroomed pretty much covered it. I personally try to just get the **** out of the way, but I'm being more adventurous with utilt recently and having mostly good results. WD back with ftilt/dsmash is good, especially at lower %'s where it's safer to CC the nair.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
isn't upsmash viable in that situation too? with probably better results then an uptilt?

you get like head invincibility right?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
u-smash is too slow

edit:

Doc's Bair, Dair, and Uair can beat Fox's Nair if he's positioned correctly for them. Uair needs Fox above (tricky timing is tricky) so it's usually better to U-tilt or whatever in that case. Dair requires Fox below, which is troublesome. Bair you have to hit his face iirc.

Otherwise it's been covered by otg and Shroomed. Doc's limited.

otg

Smash Master
Tempest: I'm pretty sure usmash beats Fox's nair clean, the problem as KK mentioned is that it's a lil too slow. I think the move comes out on either frame 9 or 10 and only lasts til frame 13.... not really a large window there to exploit the invincibility. If you can time it properly, usmash will win it out, but it's tough. Try doing it if you anticipate the nair in advance, or its a low % and you wanna try to CC or something.

Also Shroomed, when you usmash OOS, do you ever try to use it when someone crosses up your shield with a move? The hitbox technically starts behind Doc and I've had more success landing it that way then in the usual "wait for them to **** up techskill" method which really doesn't work over here.

Palpi

Smash Hero
It is almost like you need to preemptively do it, atleast from what I have gathered. Also, you hope they don't DI away, because it is hard to combo if they do.

Shroomed

Smash Master
usmash OOS i use on either side but it works better if they're behind you

you can punish sheik ftilt with it which a lot of ppl don't know, unless it's like perfectly spaced

DI on the usmash typically doesn't matter until really higher percents

i will only usmash OOS spacies that like to stay on the shield cuz they will almost always slow down after the 2nd nair/dair

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I don't see many Doc. players light-shield when getting shield-pressured. Unless you feel like doing something out of it like a usmash, a situational up+B cancel, whatever, light-shield usually can set them up for a well spaced WD out of shield to grab/dtilt/smash attack. Just something I remember doing a lot vs. Falco/CF/Fox players.

I've noticed though that u-smash is the best option out-of-shield really after watching some Shroomed tourney vids. and the safest, but only when attacking out of shield. otg, like you said, if they mess up on their tech-skill while shield-pressuring, then yes, it's an easy grab/punish. But for those players who hardly mess up on their tech skill, yeah u-smash or light-shield is the best option for defense or setting them up for a punish. At least most of the time. Only a couple players that I know will mind-game you to shield differently; not to expect that during their shield-pressuring with normal spacing, they will JC grab you, unexpectedly. That just sets you up to get manhandled. It's ok though, I've only seen a couple Falco/Fox players do that so for now don't worry about it just know what to expect because it will work.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Yeah, I picked up on lightshielding about a year ago. I always ended up doing a bunch of teams matches against Renth and RockCrock (Double Ganons). It was impossible for my shield to take more that three hits without the lightshield. Now I lightshield always.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yo Jreed is a pretty beast doc. Like, he almost beat M2k in a set.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Jreed as in Jason from NYC?
Ummmm... Lol. I think he came around with T-Cash. I have the sign up sheet I'll look at his location. : D

Also thanks for the good luck. : D

@ChivelRuse: Thanks for recording man! I appreciate it, it helps the smash scene alot. Also it was cool playing you. Hope to play you again.

resTy

Smash Champion
What should I do if Fox is pressuring me with aerial-shine tactics? I feel kind of locked down when he's inside my zone and doing moves. Should I just roll all the time?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm. Wd back, grab/jab. Fox will probably over-shoot his attacks so try to predict his approach, wd back, and hope to miss his shines/aerials. Hopefully that might work.

@Otg: Nah, Jreed isn't from NY. He is from Easton, PA.

Shroomed

Smash Master
What should I do if Fox is pressuring me with aerial-shine tactics? I feel kind of locked down when he's inside my zone and doing moves. Should I just roll all the time?

usmash outta shield or wavedash outta shield

rolling isn't that good

resTy

Smash Champion
usmash outta shield
Is there a specific moment you wait for to Usmash out of shield? I usually just do it randomly when I'm pressured and don't know what to do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You seem really consistent with it though. Care to share your secret?

Shroomed

Smash Master
Is there a specific moment you wait for to Usmash out of shield? I usually just do it randomly when I'm pressured and don't know what to do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You seem really consistent with it though. Care to share your secret?
i normally wait till around the second nair on my shield because almost everyone slows down a bit after hitting ur shield that much

the angle/size of the shield throws off their timing a little bit

jreed

Smash Cadet
usmash OOS i use on either side but it works better if they're behind you

you can punish sheik ftilt with it which a lot of ppl don't know, unless it's like perfectly spaced

DI on the usmash typically doesn't matter until really higher percents

i will only usmash OOS spacies that like to stay on the shield cuz they will almost always slow down after the 2nd nair/dair
one of my friend i smash with is a falco main and i find usmash OOS is great when they dair u and try to move behind ur shield after the dair but when they dair the front of ur shield and space backward what do u think i should do other than ftilt or wavedash forward and try to jab grab and have em sidestep any ideas from anyone would help ive been having some issues falco/shiek on doc

Yo Jreed is a pretty beast doc. Like, he almost beat M2k in a set.
thanks i practice alot with doc but i need alot of work still i plan on being at alot of tourneys up coming so ill be down to do dollar money matches and **** lol all the practice the better

Pa has been doin real good lately.. if someone would help me find a venue maybe i could run some......
that would be great if we could host some tourneys closer to easton.. im 100% sure deff and lite would come with me:)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
that would be great if we could host some tourneys closer to easton.. im 100% sure deff and lite would come with me:)
Was Ite at mad? Who was the big tan guy that played Falco? I believe he was in your crew. He looks EXACTLY like my friend lol. Should have gotten a picture with em.

Top Bottom