• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Yeah a smart Samus is kinda tough. And she has the attack range to prevail. I wouldn't put Doc above Samus on the tier list either.

I 4 stocked Chops in a set tonight. I officially take back everything I've said about Doc vs. Falco being terrible.

.... sorta
Now I wanna throw out the "Vids or it didn't happen!" card at you.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
TGD, show us that vid. : D

ALso, what we have over samus is.. the Grab, right?

Grab combos. I feel that those are important when playing samus, because she is floaty. : D

otg

Smash Master
I wasn't talking about Doc vs. Samus, I could careless if Samus "wins" that matchup or not. I'm talking about their viability in comparison to one another vs. the rest of the cast. Seems to me like Doc is better in that regard.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Samus is overall still better than Doc. but that's my perspective of the character's comparison to eachother.

Ranmaru, I love you man but I hope you're trolling about the grab combos vs. Samus. You can't do much after a grab vs. her besides maybe a full-hope uair, bair. Grab combos vs. her are too situational. It's all about proper pill spam, spacing, fair spacing and fsmash, since she'll just CC almost anything you do into a fsmash, dsmash, up+B. And if she does up+B you you'll have to expect it so you can DI properly. The match is very haphazard. I've pulled some tricky mind-games off with reverse-capes and power-shields vs. her though that have granted me a match before.

Desh

Smash Ace
I wasn't talking about Doc vs. Samus, I could careless if Samus "wins" that matchup or not. I'm talking about their viability in comparison to one another vs. the rest of the cast. Seems to me like Doc is better in that regard.
Oh. Alright then i'll have to agree with you good sir.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Samus is overall still better than Doc. but that's my perspective of the character's comparison to eachother.

Ranmaru, I love you man but I hope you're trolling about the grab combos vs. Samus. You can't do much after a grab vs. her besides maybe a full-hope uair, bair. Grab combos vs. her are too situational. It's all about proper pill spam, spacing, fair spacing and fsmash, since she'll just CC almost anything you do into a fsmash, dsmash, up+B. And if she does up+B you you'll have to expect it so you can DI properly. The match is very haphazard. I've pulled some tricky mind-games off with reverse-capes and power-shields vs. her though that have granted me a match before.
Hmmm, I was trying to think outside of the box. But I forget Samus can nair and do stuff to hinder us from following up... Lol.

Nah, I'm just up to par with the Samus match up is all. I need to play GOOD samuses more, lol. Not Chibo.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I'd say you had the right idea for the most part. Your movement and ability to get away from Peach was at least mediocre. And your pill game was good.

The only thing I'd strongly suggest is to try different recoveries every once in awhile. Peach's b-air is a really good edgeguard against the "jump-in pill recovery" since her b-air hitbox is out for over 15 frames. I felt like that was working a bit too much for Peach though. Sometimes, it's better to go above Peach and d-air, or try to airdodge pass her.

And when you grab ledge, try to mix up the options from there. You did a bunch of ledgeclimbing that got punished. Try utilizing the invincibilty from the ledgegrab instead.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
why did you run to the other end of the stage when you forced Peach to grab the edge?

get under Peach and do up moves because it's good.

a lot of times you can follow or apply lots of pressure and possibly KO her but you forgo these chances to pill more.

grab him more.

you finally got punished for constantly using your full jump > double jump to space / feint at the very end.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
why did you run to the other end of the stage when you forced Peach to grab the edge?

get under Peach and do up moves because it's good.

a lot of times you can follow or apply lots of pressure and possibly KO her but you forgo these chances to pill more.

grab him more.

you finally got punished for constantly using your full jump > double jump to space / feint at the very end.
My Doc is garbage, haha.
Thanks for the tips

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
TGD answer his question directly why did u RUN lo

resTy

Smash Champion
Where do you throw Marth and how should you follow up? I usually Dthrow but Marth hits me before Fair comes out it feels. Am I just being too slow? Thanks.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Where do you throw Marth and how should you follow up? I usually Dthrow but Marth hits me before Fair comes out it feels. Am I just being too slow? Thanks.
yeah, you're doing it too slow

and i throw him down unless we're on the edge in which case i jus toss him off and proceed to edgeguard

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Nvm I was thinking falco lol... wait... ... I dunno.

OMG I have been throwing marth up for ages.... LOL.

Shroomed

Smash Master
why would you EVER throw marth up?

the only situation i can see where that isn't bad is teams and ur teammate is fox

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Almost every normal floaty should be thrown down. Dthrow leads to so much stuff. Against Marth I usually will dthrow and full-hop rising dair if he doesn't DI, bair comboes if he DI's behind. At like 90% you can dthrow and rising fair for the kill. There are so many options out of dthrow vs. him, even situational options depending on the stage and spot that you're in. Only if they're a weighted floaty should you throw upwards, sometimes.

otg

Smash Master
From dthrow vs. Marth:

dthrow -> usmash connects starting from 0 til really late, probably even up til 40 or 50.
Dthrow -> dair -> other stuff is good if they don't DI
Dthrow -> uairs if they DI in front
Dthrow -> bairs if they DI behind, or if you're feeling ballsy you can go for a single DD -> uair chain in the mid % range.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol I always throw samus up too... habit. Haha.

otg

Smash Master
I think dthrow -> usmash is the best option at 0%. It's roughly 30% and has the potential for a follow up of some kind depending on the situation. Someone awhile back mentioned that you can try to fthrow Marth and regrab him again at 0, but I've never tried this and I wouldn't ever risk it personally, just throwing it out there.

Outside of that, it's a ball game, just hope you land those grabs near kobe%'s.

Also, I now have new found respect for Doc's dtilt after picking up on this ******** gimmick prog was using on people as doc. **** is so good it really deserves a name.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Lol I always throw samus up too... habit. Haha.
Please don't be that guy (the one who has trouble understanding the differences between characters). :facepalm:

To your credit, though, u-throw isn't the worst option ever. It might be better than f-throw or b-throw, since you get positional advantage.

otg

Smash Master
Uthrow vs. smash might not be so terrible after a certain %. It's not like you are going to be able to link dthrow -> fair or anything, so might as well toss that ***** up and **** her as she comes down.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Please don't be that guy (the one who has trouble understanding the differences between characters). :facepalm:

To your credit, though, u-throw isn't the worst option ever. It might be better than f-throw or b-throw, since you get positional advantage.
Nah, it's just a habit. I do know the difference. :p I guess with fox/falco I would have to remember to throw up since it's not an easy match against them, but marth/samus is less so.

It's just when I throw I just throw up or down without thinking lol. Although I try to find ways to follow up then usual. :x

otg

Smash Master
Certain stuff needs to be kept off the boards. People lurk all the time, and the last thing I need is someone reading about something random I do on the boards and then being ready for it in tournament.

That said, I should probably stop teaching Yedi my Doc tricks since it's not like he uses Doc anymore and was terrible with him anyway. Seems like all he wants to do is troll, so I gotta protect my assets.

Top Bottom