• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

mallu000

Smash Cadet

You talkin about the d.throw into the corner trap? (If not, tell me which one)

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's just **** gay since there's so few options you have to choose from in that situation. Thanks for the tips anyway, I'll be trying them tomorrow.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
lol, so like, I should be chillin at home workin on the guide right now (or practicin stuff) but I'm sittin over here at my friend's house while he rearranges his whole house. It's pretty mindless. -Rolls eyes-

___

Anyway, I think i have like, 9 more matchups for the guide, tweak some stuff, add some character specific sections, and I'm done. It's lookin..... meh, ok I guess. I'll just have to put it out and see. I'm thinkin everything is a little long winded, but that's what I do.

I will note that as of now, the guide is 75 pages on MS Word, and because I'm typing casually, there are so many spelling and grammatical errors that word cannot display them anymore.

Proofreading that thing is going to be a *****.

The way I see it, I should have it pooped out by friday as I don't have work wednesday, thursday, or friday. (Probably don't have work tuesday either, I dunno.)

But yeah. Looks pretty interesting.

It's coming, it's coming.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
dogy I know we joke about it all the time n stuff but I think you need to SERIOUSLY RECONSIDER how good the dtilt is. it comes out so fast and sets up edgeguards like CRAZY. yesterday at a tournament I beat Rat, that samus I had the long azz set with and lost to last time, and dtilt played no small part. IT CLINKS WITH HER DSMASH. LIKE WTF IS THAT. **** IS SO GOOD

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
no didn't you hear, I got over my fear of kirby at a MN tourney last month, I actually beat one in a tourney set. luigi still annihilates me tho :crying:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
well yea its kinda slow but its not even THAT bad if you get hit while doing it because you CC and do a dair off the edge, which puts you in pretty good position to recover

otg

Smash Master
Yo spikes, to beat luigi just get him off stage. I conquered my luigi fear recently. Now I'm back to hating every other character in the game.

Oh yo, PS you guys should use Mario more often. He's prtty good

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
dogy I know we joke about it all the time n stuff but I think you need to SERIOUSLY RECONSIDER how good the dtilt is. it comes out so fast and sets up edgeguards like CRAZY. yesterday at a tournament I beat Rat, that samus I had the long azz set with and lost to last time, and dtilt played no small part. IT CLINKS WITH HER DSMASH. LIKE WTF IS THAT. **** IS SO GOOD
I know it's not as *** terrible as it makes it out to be. It still comes out faster than a grab and sends people at a lower angle, I know that.

It's just, aside from that, it's *** terrible. It can be CC'd, has a fairly low knockback, etc etc.

I really do rag on it much more than I should, but at the same time IT'S STILL A ****ING DOC D.TILT.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aight guys.

4 matchups left, then I need to add some sections for characters (positioning vs characters, how to deal with character specific tactics), clean up the intro, proofread, and we're good to go.

I'm probably going to try to finish the 4 matchups tonight, as they're Luigi, DK, Mario and Link.

So, I'm thinkin my ETA is going to be Friday.

I don't plan on leaving the house 2morrow, so don't be too surprised if the guide poops out a day or two early.

As for now, I'm going to (hopefully) practice pressing buttons with my target.

Dogy Out.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Current Guide stats:
Pages: 95. (Calibri 11 Font)
Words: 54,332
Characters left: 4 (rough)
Extra notes: Word CANNOT display my typos and grammatical errors so more. That's what I get for doing a "casual" guide.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
It's cool--if you want it proofread, I'm sure some of us doctors have a PhD in English lit or something XD

Niko45

Smash Master
If you're going to hit the stage, then you HAVE to tech. He gets the free d.tilt, like I said, so not teching causes you to go off the stage at a low angle (unless he just KNOWS you're not going to tech and so he f.smashes instead.)

After that, you really just have to tech somewhere and hope he reads wrong or messes up. If he telegraphs anything, react to it (like, if he walks forward predicting you to roll TOWARDS the ledge, roll away. Or if he's flat out walking away from the corner, roll in). But really, you just have to tech somewhere and pray. There's nothing you can do so long as he's right. Do buffer something in the event he is late though. A roll, a spotdodge, jump, attack, something.

TL;DR: Tech and pray. That's really all you can do.
I'm not sure on percents or anything but I find that Doc doesn't HAVE to tech the dthrow. He's floaty enough that he can jump out before hitting the ground, or wiggle to an air dodge. Both can be predicted and punished with death, but just saying, it's more options more opportunity to escape.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I find that for myself, Doc is not always the best choice against marth. (my) Doc gets outranged so bad most of the time, I find myself running away and pilling like a frickin ***** nearly the entire match. It is hard to gain control especially if marth controlls the floor and keeps you above him. I find the best strat is to... go fox...

sue me

St. Viers

Smash Champion
People need to learn to pivot f-tilt. it helps against marth alot. Pivot jab would be better, but I don't have the means to practice that XD

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I find that for myself, Doc is not always the best choice against marth. (my) Doc gets outranged so bad most of the time, I find myself running away and pilling like a frickin ***** nearly the entire match. It is hard to gain control especially if marth controlls the floor and keeps you above him. I find the best strat is to... go fox...

sue me
After all these lame Marth matches I've had, I wouldn't dream of filing a suit on anyone who decides to pick a different character over Dr. Mario. Marth is just straight wack. I mean Marth's retreating f-airs alone cover too many of Doc's options to approach.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^doc shouldn't be approaching marth. The only "safe" approach he has is to follow a pill in such a way that the f-air won't hit him. That doesn't get you in enough to matter though >_>

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I don't know about who the best Doc is yet? Boss and Dogy are both high on the list though. OTG, 18spikes, Shroomed, and HMW look good too.

BTW, I finally got around to reading some of Dogy's Matchup Guide. I'm lovin' what I see right now. I should find some more stuff that's gonna help me to change the Doc metagame. Thanks for the great guide, Dogy.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'm so glad that I only mod the character forums so I don't have to read about people finally catching on to how simple smash is (read: crying about jiggs dittos for finals).

Good job to all you guys who went and like, did well.

Kinda wish I'da gone, but I had a blast at the tourney that happened here this weekend, so it works out for me.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
HOLY ****ING CRAP DOGY. 103 Pages man! Well, almost! You know, I'm going to print this from school. Hey, I got a loan which will suck out my life force for some time, so why not eh? Hmmm maybe I should do this in portions as to not get got. I mean caught. Oh whatever I'll leave that there.

EDIT:
Ahh **** I printed 45 pages in the next room by accident oh my oh my what an idiot I am. D:< D:< D:< I hope they don't care. I tried to cancel but **** it this computer is too great. *will wait until nightfall to retrieve these documents*

Oh wait 2 students could have printed multiple documents they will never know. But still thats alot but **** it. D:<

Edit;

Never mind I'm so awesome I printed all 103 pages yea *****es. ;3

Top Bottom