• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Get off my lawn you meddling kids.
Back in my day you took combos like a man! None of that fancy DI stuff.

<3
Brandon.

*Sits on creaking rocking chair and drinks prune juice*
LOL, how come Bob Money does play anymore? He was so legit.

18spikes

why do you always dtilt whenever you get up from the ledge? lol
hmmm.... *Adds on to the list of things to upgrade the Doc metagame*:chuckle:

sup so I'm going to main Doc now
!WELCOME!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMD-7KINnQE&feature=related

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i'm pretty sure dtilt from the ledge isn't new..... lol. i've done it and i suck.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
How does Bob$ do those combos after an upthrow, the upair upair fair. I tried but I can't do it.
I think I have done that before by accident, or at least my opponent was in the air and I did a few upairs and it was probaly two and somehow accidentally faired and killed him. I don't think it happened much after that lol. I really wish I could hit some more of those, man. Only thing I can remember now combo-wise that would seem sexy. Also, I might or might not have watched Bob$'s vids, I probaly did though. Yes, I watched them more than once as well. You know, I got hyped and watched them over and over again. I'd probaly watch it again some time. :] Then practice with my buddies and just flunk. Haha.

But it did look sexy. Don't you love it when you do something like that by accident? Or love it when someone DI's wrong and you get a kool kill. :psycho:

Dogy claims he has a list on the kobe percents, but won't tell anyone. cool.
Ah, you are using reverse pyschology, eh? Trying to make him prove himself. Or maybe just trying to humiliate him.

unknown522

Some guy
if all 3 of my pools were filled with marths i would have made it to bracket :(

shroomed you never accepted my mm. i would have stolen your $0.18 too, the only doc i didnt waste in dittos was unknown :lol:
wasn't I mario? Oh well, they're the same character almost.

Also, sorry about the fox matches. I really wasn't feeling it at the end of the day.

I should probably apologize to cosmo as well. That was disrespectful to you guys IMO.

Get off my lawn you meddling kids.
Back in my day you took combos like a man! None of that fancy DI stuff.

<3
Brandon.

*Sits on creaking rocking chair and drinks prune juice*
lol, bob$ combos. I remember back in the day, trying to do combos from your vids and they would never work. I thought it was just me, but then it clicked and I had a long laugh about it for a while.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
wasn't I mario? Oh well, they're the same character almost.

Also, sorry about the fox matches. I really wasn't feeling it at the end of the day.

I should probably apologize to cosmo as well. That was disrespectful to you guys IMO.

lol, bob$ combos. I remember back in the day, trying to do combos from your vids and they would never work. I thought it was just me, but then it clicked and I had a long laugh about it for a while.
meh I know how it feels, i basically wasted hmw's time after getting knocked out of pools. next tourney :)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aight, my cpu's back at my house. Gotta wait and see if it's "Fixed" persay. I bet it's not, but ey, it is what it is. I'ma have to get a new cpu sometime.

Been playin melee with my beatup dummies, trying new stuff. Always coming up with new stuff, it's hilarious. But it never matters, no good videos of me ever see the light of day. Kinda sad seeing as I keep saying I want to make a combo video, but eh, it is what it is.
i'd love to see a Doc CG guide made, w/ tested percents for uthrow/dthrow cg on different chars and followups when they're out of CG %... I'd make one but I have like no one to DI well for me most of the time
dthrow/uthrow -> fair percents for the chars that it can be done on would be cool too =D
Chaingrabs? Magus did it years ago. There's so much old info that people are just too lazy/-insert random insult- to go dig up.

Dunk percents? *points down*
Dogy claims he has a list on the kobe percents, but won't tell anyone. cool.

click for fullsize.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sup Docs, I was curious about data on Doc's uthrow chaingrab on Fox and Falco (Falcon?).. like what % range is it given at any DI when performed properly. Thanks.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i like uthrow chain grabs on platforms. cuz if they DI away you can run off and fair them. it's kinda cool

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
....Fox and Falco can be chaingrabbed from 55-200+ with downthrow? And from 0-60ish with u-throw? WTFF......
also, 13-153 cg on CF? ****

I'm maining Doc.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
doc is like an infighter in boxing. Even though people with longer range all believe that their greater range means they have an advantage, if they play to outrange you, they end up trapping themselves, if the in-fighter knows how to fight against them.

In melee, it's harder to do this than in actual boxing, or even more traditional 2D fighters, but it's possible.

otg

Smash Master
I mean I land grabs on jesus and Pc, but evidentally it's still impossible. I think what it really comes down to, is you'll only land a few over the course of a few matches, and even then it's hard to punish with death every single time if at all.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*walks in smiling*
I hope it really is as impossible as you say it is. That would mean that

1) this game is trash
and
2) some of the top players of said characters are *******, meaning this community is trash too.

^_^

__

edit: just turned my cube on cause people in my city think they legit in melee lol.

So anyway, i was over in columbus yesterday practicing with CDE, and chillin with DP (DP's Mario, rather. XD) I noticed a pretty subtle but pretty important difference between Doc and Mario.

When Mario D.airs somebody, if he hits a person on the ground with the last hit/landing hit/ whatever you call it, there's some actual knockback to it, where as Doc's doesn't have any. Now, the reason why I say this is important is because of what normally happens when you try to SH D.air soembody. You get your **** CC'd. Thing is, Mario can get away with it because he'll push his opponent back (and he has lower recovery, which gives him time to get away). Doc, on the other hand, doesn't get the knockback, so he's more likely to get punished for SH d.airs approaches.

I mean, SH D.air still has plenty of use, that was just something that caught my eye yesterday that I figured I'd point out.

Now to wait 6 months or a year for somebody else to catch this, post it, and everybody be like "WOW THAT'S AMAZING I WISH I'DA KNOWN THIS SOONER."

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
If you can land on Jesus and PC, then it's not impossible. Jesus is probably the campiest Fox. I think if anyone could be campier with Fox it'd be Mathos, if he played Fox like he does Falco. (<3 Mathos) Him or Teh_Spamerer. It's not impossible...just REALLY difficult. Doesn't Waffles do it quite a bit?

Shroomed

Smash Master
i landed grabs on PC, silent wolf, and even mango!

i agree with dogy, if landing grabs was that impossible EVERYONE ****in sucks

does Jman camp doc? im jus curious lol

otg

Smash Master
*walks in smiling*

1) this game is trash
and
2) some of the top players of said characters are *******, meaning this community is trash too.

Now to wait 6 months or a year for somebody else to catch this, post it, and everybody be like "WOW THAT'S AMAZING I WISH I'DA KNOWN THIS SOONER."
I dont know if this is directed at me, but I'm just trolling unknown really. I land grabs on spacies who are way better/more technical then me so I think that if I can do it anyone can.

Tho I am the best doc right :p

On a side note, I've definitely noticed the difference between Doc/Mario's dair, I just wasn't sure 100% if that was accurate, I thought it might've just been me.

i landed grabs on PC, silent wolf, and even mango!

i agree with dogy, if landing grabs was that impossible EVERYONE ****in sucks

does Jman camp doc? im jus curious lol
Yeah, he camps a lot, but once he gets in on you... ouch lol. Umm, we played a ton of friendlies on saturday and they MIGHT have gotten recorded. If they were I'll talk to Mogwai and see if he wouldn't mind sending them to me so they can be uploaded.

I also a have a few tourney sets from this past weekend that I might put up here to get some input from you guys, not sure which ones were recorded tho.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
im jus curious, how do you guys place in tournies?
You place wayy higher than me. I mean makin' it to brackets in Pound 4, that's a nice feat.

May 2009 I got last place at a Orlando, Florida tourney because of QueenDVS (Marth) :rolleyes: and Frames (Fox).

Oct 2009 I got last at a Orlando, Florida tourney because of Green Mario (guess what character he used ;)) and IShotLazer (Marth) :rolleyes:

Marth is so annoying. Not that I'm terrible at the matchup anymore, but he's still an awful matchup, assuming the Marth knows how to fight Doc at all.

The Orlando tournies had 30-40 entrants with players like RockCrock, HungryBox, ColBol, Lambchops, and DaShizWiz.

Most of my other tournies are in Gainesville, Florida. I kept getting like 9th place out of 13 entrants.

I can consistently beat some of my friends that play the game pretty seriously. But so far, I consistently lose to all the higher-classed players: RockCrock (Ganon), HarriettheGuy (Fox), BladetheApollo (Peach), Raistlin (Jiggs), Renth (Ganon).

unknown522

Some guy
*walks in smiling*

1) this game is trash
and

^_^

__

edit: just turned my cube on cause people in my city think they legit in melee lol.

So anyway, i was over in columbus yesterday practicing with CDE, and chillin with DP (DP's Mario, rather. XD) I noticed a pretty subtle but pretty important difference between Doc and Mario.

When Mario D.airs somebody, if he hits a person on the ground with the last hit/landing hit/ whatever you call it, there's some actual knockback to it, where as Doc's doesn't have any. Now, the reason why I say this is important is because of what normally happens when you try to SH D.air soembody. You get your **** CC'd. Thing is, Mario can get away with it because he'll push his opponent back (and he has lower recovery, which gives him time to get away). Doc, on the other hand, doesn't get the knockback, so he's more likely to get punished for SH d.airs approaches.

I mean, SH D.air still has plenty of use, that was just something that caught my eye yesterday that I figured I'd point out.

you know that you can auto-cancel d-airs with both marios and link it into a grab / d-smash / u-tilt / jab?

otg

Smash Master
you know that you can auto-cancel d-airs with both marios and link it into a grab / d-smash / u-tilt / jab?
SH Dair or FH? Interesting I didn't know that.

As for how I place in tourney. I don't really go out to a lot of tournies in general, but I tend to place around the middle/lower end of the pack. For the most I go all Doc and don't switch unless I'm getting like TRASHED. I'm talking like, ***** every single game trashed, not I just got JV3d by Jman (I can deal with that).

I got 33rd out of like 160+ people at ROM2 going all Doc, and at this tourney this past weekend I placed 13th out of 20 something people (but Mogwai and I got 5th in teams beating Cort/Spawn 2-0!). I'mma get my singles game up, just give me some time. Then eggm's claim that I'm the best Doc might actually hold some weight lol.

Shroomed

Smash Master
me and hmw are close to even

he has strengths that i lack and vice versa

but i appreciate the thought chivalruse lol

who did spawn team with for pound? i remember playing him in teams bracket

Top Bottom