• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
so I've been messing around with Doc stuff lately and found that waveland -> Ftilt is really sneaky and catches a lot of people hoping to approach as Doc lands.

thoughts?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
my first tourney ever, I beat 2 people before losing the next two (this was a long time ago, against bad people).

I got eliminated in 2 games at Cataclysm, by a samus, and then one of the Mage's peach.

Eliminated in 2 games at MM2, against Yander (falcon) and I think maybe Elen (fox)

Didn't make it out of pools at whichever MM I went to next, though I was one win away (lost to a friend who I am now better than), beating boxman's marth, and some other player's samus. Lost to .yoshi's puff and some fox player.

However, I haven't been to a tourney in several years, and since have gained a lot of practical experience, and more confidence. If I could find a way to vids of me up, it would be interesting to see what people think.

Also, found the best way to get basic tech skill back after not needing it in awhile--3v1s w/ team attack off. Really get's one used to shffling and edgeguarding/ledgeteching again.

otg

Smash Master
Viers, I've come to realize that like nothing comes close to actual tourney experience. If you watch my set vs. G$ I'm struggling vs. his falco in tourney. We played friendlies immediately afterwards and 3 stocked him twice... I mean, nothing compares to the actual thing.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I do bad in tournaments.

I suck though, so I'm a bad example.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Viers, I've come to realize that like nothing comes close to actual tourney experience. If you watch my set vs. G$ I'm struggling vs. his falco in tourney. We played friendlies immediately afterwards and 3 stocked him twice... I mean, nothing compares to the actual thing.
you can't compare the two
for all you know he wasnt trying nearly as hard in friendlies as he was in tourney
friendlies are never an indication
otherwise im on armada's lvl since we went back and forth in friendlies, which we all know isnt the case

tourney pressure is part of the game, but i jus use an ipod to minimize that factor =D

EDIT: G$'s falco sucks when it's not in teams! lololol i <3 G$

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
My first (real) tourney ever, i got 2nd seed in my pools, losing out to dmac. Then I was lost first game in winners bracket, beat two people in losers and then lost to Dmac AGAIN, putting me out.

My first real tourney was MLG Orlando.

My first ACTUAL tourney was a scrub tourney on my college campus, where they wanted to use tourney mode and everything. I specifically remember semi finals was me 4stocking a samus on brinstar depths, and finals was me 4 stocking a peach on peach's castle.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I wonder how SmashMac and Bob$ would place in tourney if they still played today.

so I've been messing around with Doc stuff lately and found that waveland -> Ftilt is really sneaky and catches a lot of people hoping to approach as Doc lands.

thoughts?
Of course, f-tilt's one of my main approaches now. It becomes a force of habit after using Ganondorf :laugh:.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Utilt is better than ftilt, guys >.>
U-tilt has better hit stun and maybe better/evenish knockback compared to f-tilt. But doesn't the f-tilt have more horizontal range than the up-tilt?!

I like to use f-tilt if I think my opponent is not gonna try to approach through the air. Otherwise, up-tilt keeps your opponent from approaching out of the air so much. You can also connect other attacks if you hit your opponent with the top part of the up-tilt's hitbox. It always sucks when I miss a f-tilt by 2 vertical pixels, where an up-tilt would've connected.

Speaking of up-tilt and f-tilt, the VGmasta combo is: FH-d-air>up-air>up-tilt>f-tilt. It all mines :laugh::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwkoaXHf5pY

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I'll be probably going to a smashfest in couple weeks and after that to a more serious tournament. There'll be some of the best finnish players so I think I'll just stick with Doc and Mario even though it'll be easy for other people to counter pick against me. :D Maybe I should practice more with Icies or CF.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Zoso. Team Supergay Black Hole iirc.
That is correct, and we never played Shroomed's (wow that's hard to say) team in the bracket.

Doc's ftilt is one of his best moves, imo. His utilt is good, but it's kind of annoying how hard it is to cleanly beat certain things. Fox's full jump nair, for one.

I've been working on up-B cancelling a little. I'm getting decent at it, but I'm afraid I'm gonna break my controller or something. =(

Speaking of which, Roman did like 70 up-B cancels in a row or something.

OTG, for the autocancel dair, try full jump, slightly delayed rising dair, fastfall ASAP. I'm wondering how this would fare against shields.

otg

Smash Master
I'll try it out Zoso, good looks. I personally am not a fan of UpB cancel, I still think its gimmicky. The only time I can see it being useful is as an OOS option, and then regular upB and Usmash are both preferable imo.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I up-B a lot with Doc. Mostly for my own amusement, but I honestly think it's pretty useful.

Usmash OOS is so slow, though.

Wes, you can occasionally tech chase on platforms afterward. I think it's useful mostly because it doesn't waste your jump, so you're less likely to get completely ***** if they CC'd it or something.

unknown522

Some guy
SH Dair or FH? Interesting I didn't know that.

As for how I place in tourney. I don't really go out to a lot of tournies in general, but I tend to place around the middle/lower end of the pack. For the most I go all Doc and don't switch unless I'm getting like TRASHED. I'm talking like, ***** every single game trashed, not I just got JV3d by Jman (I can deal with that).

I got 33rd out of like 160+ people at ROM2 going all Doc, and at this tourney this past weekend I placed 13th out of 20 something people (but Mogwai and I got 5th in teams beating Cort/Spawn 2-0!). I'mma get my singles game up, just give me some time. Then eggm's claim that I'm the best Doc might actually hold some weight lol.
FH. SH doesn't get enough height. you have to start the d-air near the top of your FH height if you want to FF it.

Oh ****, you got 33rd at ROM2? Good ****. In LB, when I faced Hazz, he CP'd me to FD and I was gonna go doc, but he asked me not to. So we did a non-CG fox ditto.

yeah, and I blow horribly at it. Some doc is/was onpoint with it, i forget who, cause it's an oddball.
It's sexy when you can land it and is pretty odd too. I think you can get it from a ledge-hop as well.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I remember my first tourney. :[ Man I felt soooo horrible, I hit rock bottom. After that I didn't feel as bad as the first one, because I know that I just must improve so that I may feel better, and I know I am hopefully gaining some experience from it and not just more suffering. :3

The feeling when like you are the only doc at some tourny and most of the others are falcos and some foxes. But actually I saw a ton of docs at Spoc. : D

otg

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure you can't combo after an upB cancel, tho there are a few gimmicks with it that lead to your opponent doing ******** **** like killing themselves and what not. I haven't personally gotten it to succeed, but then again I never really try to upB cancel.

FH. SH doesn't get enough height. you have to start the d-air near the top of your FH height if you want to FF it.

Oh ****, you got 33rd at ROM2? Good ****. In LB, when I faced Hazz, he CP'd me to FD and I was gonna go doc, but he asked me not to. So we did a non-CG fox ditto.

It's sexy when you can land it and is pretty odd too. I think you can get it from a ledge-hop as well.
I'll try out the autocancelled dair stuff tonight, sounds interesting. I know that you can waveland after a ledgehop dair, that's pretty beautiful.

Hazz hates doc lol, I like to think I can take credit for that haha. Funny enough, I tend to do better against him on other stages besides FD, that might just be me tho.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i've gotten a few things to combo from upb cancel. and it's my favorite OOS option even tho ppl tell me it sucks... :(

i dont play a whole lot of doc anymore tho :/

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@Zoso--I used to feel like that, but found a way to simply and consistantly pull it off. I've posted the way so many times though, that I'm too lazy to do it.

@otg--you can't combo w/ it, but it lets you follow up/keep pressure, moreso than doing a full up-B (something to think about, as doc's not so good at pressuring). Also, as upB Oos is much faster on startup than the up-smash, it has uses that the upsmash doesn't.

re: d-airs: d-air through shield -> low n-air is pretty beast.

otg

Smash Master
Well you can use regular upB to land on a high platform and follow up from there too, they both def have uses, I just don't use Upb cancel ever.... maybe I should try it more.

As for Usmash OOS, yeah it is not that fast, but it's nice for beating out certain moves (Falcon's nair/dair comes to mind).

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I thought you guys knew about the auto-cancel on FH -dairs when you fast fall (FF). The FH n-airs autocancel too if you FF. Shroomed's been wrecking Scar by FH d-airs/n-airs->up-tilt because Scar thought he could attack Doc after the d-air/n-air:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwaXN2l_50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XeSI57TODU

It's a pretty good mindgame to FH n-air and FF vs. tall characters like Ganon, and Capt. Falcon because the end part of the n-airs hitbox gets small enough to where it won't hit the shorter character on the ground. I try d-airing at early percents because of the damage payoff; You can't give up to 20% if you can catch opponents jumping into the whole d-air. The n-air only does 8-15% or something.

I told y'all before "d-air *****".
Trust me, Doc's d-air is a beautiful thing

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
LOL, I already addressed that.
Don't give a ****. Just wanted to SHOVE IT DOWN YOUR THROAT with ALL THAT TOUGH TALK WITHOUT TOURNEY EXPERIENCE.

Now you know that those "invincible" spanimals you've been talking about look like they're going to be few and far between. Because they are.

nothing like Doc + Falco :laugh: I still don't get how that team was working for us.
Doc's a good utility character, and falco is a **** pitbull. That's how.
Doc/Falco is amazing, but it's got nothing on Double Falco. ******** shield pressure/combos ftw.
Everytime somebody mentions a Double Falco team, I think of this awesome *** match from 2 years ago

I remember standing right behind them saying "Oh my God" as I saw it pan out. First and ONLY time I've seen DSW upset.
Speaking of which, Roman did like 70 up-B cancels in a row or something.

OTG, for the autocancel dair, try full jump, slightly delayed rising dair, fastfall ASAP. I'm wondering how this would fare against shields.
1) *rolls eyes* :rolleyes::rolleyes: I still hold true to the fact that there was a doc in GA who could up+b cancel in consistently enough in tourney to where shield camping as a viable tactic. Dude just went by the name of Chris. Wish he still played, (heck, I wish he was doing ok, last I heard dude was living out of a car)

2) That's one way to auto cancel, the second is to D.air at the top of the FH and dont FF.
can you combo out of upB cancel? Cause if so, upB cancel would have speed and forward range on usmash and combo ability on regular upB.
No.
Usmash OOS is so slow, though.
U.smash has inv frames on the head.
Yes you can, that's the one I do. Actually, if you Ledgehop a d.air using back (and you d.air immediately), you have enough time to waveland.

Ledgehop D.air -> b.air is something I look for (or ledgehop d.air -> d.smash for people who DI down)

All d.air setups require you to read/guess at a person's DI on the d.air.

Shroomed

Smash Master
OOS is not too slow

unless ur doing it on the first shield pressure attempt, in which case stop it lol

wait for the second aerial they do on ur shield, or after the shine

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Um... it IS slow. But it gets its benefit from having inv.

If you don't so, go find a spanimal who's good at multishining (so go pull DSW off the dancefloor), let said spanimal stand right on your shield and start mashing, and see how many times you upsmash oos.

Priority does not always equal speed. >.>

Top Bottom