• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

unknown522

Some guy
Yes as dogy said, doc's recovery is absolute ****.

You can hope to get lucky with the invincibility from the up-b, if characters decide to jump at you, instead of hogging you, or waiting for you to commit to a move.

Also, if you DI well, you might be able to recover.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Good DI is key---ASDI in towards the stage (or try to SDI during hitstun), and regular DI up as much as possible. When above them, you have things you can do, and also have a better chance of surviving an up-air or something than if you were trying to recover low.

unknown522

Some guy
Good DI is key---ASDI in towards the stage (or try to SDI during hitstun), and regular DI up as much as possible. When above them, you have things you can do, and also have a better chance of surviving an up-air or something than if you were trying to recover low.
This man gets it.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I like caping backwards while recovering so I can use Bair to defend myself as I make it back. That might help you a bit in recovering. Try to DI really well so you're in the air floating for awhile before you make it back, that should help a ton.
I must try this

otg

Smash Master
IMO, it's better to use the up-b early, before you use your double jump.

Slightly more horizontal distance
The only problem with doing upB too early is you HAVE to hit them with at least part of the move to make it safe, and even then if someone trades with you you're in trouble. If you wiff you're completely vulnerable, so I dunno it's risky but useful.

unknown522

Some guy
The only problem with doing upB too early is you HAVE to hit them with at least part of the move to make it safe, and even then if someone trades with you you're in trouble. If you wiff you're completely vulnerable, so I dunno it's risky but useful.
Yeah, super typo. I edited the post.

Yeah, early up-b is good when you're sure they will attack you. Not reliable though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
hey i have a question

vs fox or falco when they up b in front of you, but slightly above

like rite here 4:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpAlz68x8XU

what can you do to punish while facing toward them?
Stand on the very edge of the stage (like, you-should-be-in-the-teeter-animation close to the ledge), and cape/f.tilt.

You have to be jacked up on the ledge to stop that angle. It's do-able. And if you dont believe me, ask good ganons. That's what they do.

Smash Master
Sometimes, when I'm recovering a little above stage level, and I firefox to the ledge, and I get caped because my opponent predicted I was gonna do that, I still manage to grab the edge. I'm sure the cape hit because my damage goes up. Anyone else have that experience? What's up with that?

Rykard

Smash Ace
hey i have a question

vs fox or falco when they up b in front of you, but slightly above

like rite here 4:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpAlz68x8XU

what can you do to punish while facing toward them?
what sucks is that it seems that all spacies do that now. On top of dogy's advice, the only thing i would suggest is just jumping out and caping/nairing if you see the firebird start to happen. I could tell you were expcting the phantasm though so thats probably why you missed the edgeguard in the first place =]

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Ehh...It doesn't really work.
All the Falcon has to do is:
-Be smart and not DI away from the stage a lot.
-U-air again instead of B-air.

Then, you die.

EDIT:
Or, attack you before you get that close to the stage.

Shroomed

Smash Master
this one time at genesis in teams, darkrain knee'd me at 120% on FD and i lived

=D

why cant doc b one of the actually good chars =(

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I talk to smashmac quite a bit.

FL Doc's need to stick together, but yeah smash isnt close to his first priority.

He might go to winterfest in FL In december.

Who knows. One of the coolest guys I've ever met tho

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Sometimes, when I'm recovering a little above stage level, and I firefox to the ledge, and I get caped because my opponent predicted I was gonna do that, I still manage to grab the edge. I'm sure the cape hit because my damage goes up. Anyone else have that experience? What's up with that?
Yeah I don't know why that happens. I have the same experience against my opponent. Could it be that "the cape" actually phantom hits! That would suck because that's the only thing that is broken about Doc IMO.

Smash Master
Yeah I don't know why that happens. I have the same experience against my opponent. Could it be that "the cape" actually phantom hits! That would suck because that's the only thing that is broken about Doc IMO.
I know you have the same experience Ricky. Lol

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Well, I know Spacies can grab the ledge backwards at the very top of their Up-B, so maybe you just got hit at the very end, and (Being the very end of the move) didn't get propelled very far from the stage at all, and were still able to grab backwards.

Oracle

Smash Master
When a spacie is going at any downward angle he automatically sweetspots the ledge, even when he's facing reverse. So if you cape him and he's too close to the edge, he'll just grab it.

Top Bottom