• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear MLG: bring smash back to MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
What you guys here on Smashboards are not understanding is that you are posting these thoughts on the wrong website. Yes, MLG bought Smashboards, but the main feedback regarding games/tournaments etc. is noted on the mlgpro.com website. Yes, I realize telling you to go from one website forum to another is simply ignorant of MLG, but that's just the way things work. Even now on the mlgpro forums, there are people like yourselves asking for Shadowrun to get on the circuit. From an avid Halo player, I would LOVE Melee back on the circuit. It has just as big (if not bigger) fan base than Gears (which sucks competetively), and is way more interesting to watch than Gears. The reason Melee most likely will not get picked up, however, is the payout. Compared to Halo, the payouts for the other games are pitiful (which is to be expected, Halo is the flagship game of MLG). You cannot expect people to make trips like this for a pathetic payout. Gears and WoW participation is decreasing. Not everyone is going to be M2K/Mango/Armada, who have a legitimate shot at winning every time. With all this said, I repeat, this is the wrong site for these pleas. But even if you do take your support to mlgpro, I'm sorry to say it, but I don't see Melee getting back on the circuit.

thx

Smash Ace
I would love to see Melee back on the MLG circuit. I dont think it will happen but heres a few things to keep in mind:

1) Back in the day the payouts werent that big and the community DEF. isnt as big as it is today. With melee on the scene it would have a much bigger fan base then it did when it was first on the circuit. The payouts now arent that great but people still make the trip, thats how the community (at least for melee) is.

2) MLG just started back then and its empire probably wasnt as big as it is today. If you watch MLG (i love to watch Halo) and keep up with it a bit they seem to be getting some sponsorships from other companies for all their games. The company itself is getting a broader audience. If smash was giving a chance it would prolly catch the attention of many people who ever saw it as that fast pace competitive game

3) Because of brawl melee has more awareness thus you see new players coming in everyday and higher attendance on major tournys such as genesis and pound.

4) People are worried about how many people are willing to take the trip and the turnout. When MLG first started it had a lot more areas on its list to stop at then it did today and people went there just fine. Now that there is less events it would leave a bit more time for people to save up that money and make the travel.

5) I understand that team based games get lots of attention so it would be a bit tough for melee but as someone stated earlier teams can rake in some people. Who knows maybe we would see a revival of local crew 4 man team crew battle (just a random though since gears and halo have like 4 men teams).

6) Im sure MLG FANS dont always show up to the venue but always catch it online, and if views is what they are looking for i remember pound had A TON of viewers on the live stream compared to other events that i could think of.

7) In Halo competition is insane but that doesnt stop people from competing. I hear things like Not everyone is going to be M2K Mango and Armada who have a legitimate shot at winning every time but if you look at MLGs games they have dominant teams that seem impossible to beat yet people enter because they are dedicated

8) The game is old and someone mentioned halo 2 being like melee and Halo 3 like brawl. Halo 2 isnt in the circuit so why would melee be in? The game is too old. Well the difference is that a lot of the big name players from halo 2 went to halo three and didnt have an insane problem with the switch. thats why you see the same names from both games. From brawl to melee the change is nuts and all the old favorites stoped playing brawl and went back to melee. The spark for halo 2 to 3 was in a sense passed as for melee it just hasnt left. (IMO)

I hope this doesnt sound like rambling but i think it could be a good opportunity i mean i could imagine this being on the Mlgpro livestream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTu5iIJt3SM

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Well u have to understand that we're not angry at brawl players we're angry at the concept of brawl, because we've been playing this game and the creaters decide to make the exact OPPOSITE of what we enjoy playing, it was just such a huge dissapointment, honestly it's like they were trying to piss us off.

If they made Brawl into, lets say, Melee2.0 it would definitally be in MLG. Think about it, Brawl made a record for NINTENDO for most copies of a game sold, thats amazing. Now imagine how many people would be playing this game competitively!!! If it was more competitive it would have probably made much more people stop playing melee and bring those players into Brawl as well, this game had too much potential for me to enjoy it.

It's nintendo's fault that neither Melee nor Brawl are in MLG, they separeted the Smash Community with a completely different game.
You make it seem like Nintendo is obligated to make a game competitive.

Allied

Smash Master
KDJ Still posts on the smashboards? Wut?

Also as a melee only player and some1 who despises brawl heres why melee doesnt work for MLG.

MLG games are boring as **** to watch. Brawl fits right in perfectly.

Gears 2? BORING (Gears 1 is soooo much better)

Halo 3? If i had to watch Halo 3 vids instead of Melee vids for the rest of my life, I'd just kill myself.

WoW? IDK, but i can promise you its not even half as entertaing as melee

SF? I can honestly say I've never been excited by anything thats ever happened in a SF Game.

Opinions...

Didn't a few Halo players watch the grand finals of Melee at TourneyPlay 3 and a few of those players watched at the MLG events? I think it was one of Team Carbon's players (I can't remember the name) that commentated on a ChuDat vs Azen match. Melee is one of the best games to watch out there.
Opinions...
brawl sucks barwls
Badly worded opinion

Your opinions don't decide whether or not brawl or melee get back on MLG just saying brahs

If MLG is gonna do it, they will

Stev

Smash Ace
The only difference between the halo and smash analogy is MLG never switched to brawl. Therefore there is no "going back" to melee in that sense.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Also, yes bAIR is more spammable, because it's an instant move, nado is a constant like 3+ seconds of priority? that's not to say it makes the bair any better. it's a much different concept IMO. (Melee punishing is much different)
Imo Jiggs bair is much gayer than nado.
Um how does brawl punish if it doesn't combo.
Peach combos in Brawl :p
Well u have to understand that we're not angry at brawl players we're angry at the concept of brawl, because we've been playing this game and the creaters decide to make the exact OPPOSITE of what we enjoy playing, it was just such a huge dissapointment, honestly it's like they were trying to piss us off.
That's fine that you have that opinion. I'm just sick that after 2 years Melee players are STILL whining about it.

We GET IT, you hate Brawl. The constant *****ing about how Brawl sucks and such just makes Melee players seem like whiny babies.
No one would really care about Brawl or bash it if it didn't divide the community so much.
It's MELEE PLAYERS who divide the community. The constant, unproductive, whining about Brawl doesn't accomplish anything and just drives people away.

Brawl players don't feel like having EVERY OTHER MELEE POST to be about how "bawrl sucksolololololol". It's just gotten old. After 2 years of constant whining about the game, it's just redundant to continue to complain about it and makes the community WORSE.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Sign of Madness: If you don't hang out with the Melee community then I'm not sure how you came to figure that Melee players are constantly *****ing about how terrible Brawl is.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Brawl blows. Anyone who is mad at me for that, doesn't have any faith in their game. I don't even raise a brow when I see brawl players bashing melee. The only reason it gets to you guys to the point that it does is cause your in denail that its good and know deep down truly in your hearts that it indeed does blow. And yah your gonna post "no thats not the reason We just dont want the melee community constnatly bashing our games. TBH I doubt any of the melee hardcore players go into ANY of the brawl specific forums at all and bash the game except for scrubs that are hardly in the community at real tournaments and stuff. And we can't be faulted for them. Those are in EVERY community. I haven't read brawl general discussion or any other brawl specific forum in like ... at least 6 months.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
EPsilon, I'm pretty sure you're talking about Karma. Apparently he's into MvC2 right now, and I'm pretty sure he's interested in fighters in general. If I remember correctly, Ogre 2 was taking challenges at Smash 64 at one of the events one time as well, although I'm sure it wasn't against anyone entirely good =P

As for the Brawl vs. Melee argument, I can only leave my opinion. I used to play Melee a lot with my brother, had a ****load of fun. Started playing Brawl, everyone I used to play with stopped playing Smash for FPS's...I still continued to play and went to tourneys and eventually realized I just was not have fun with the game. Dabbled into Melee again playing against CPUs, and I have got to say, I'd rather play CPUs on Melee all day than play Brawl at all. The game just doesn't appeal to me, and I find it rather ridiculous that some character's placement on the tier list is solely based on how bad they do against Metaknight/Snake. Just my $0.02

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I forgot to mention earlier that a while ago I heard something about MLG possibly picking up brawl next year. I heard this last year.

Also I believe MLG is sponsoring APEX. Look at the APEX thread yourself to make sure, because I might be confusing it with some other national coming up.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion

Oh my god. KDJ just posted.
yeah i cant believe this didnt get more attention

I forgot to mention earlier that a while ago I heard something about MLG possibly picking up brawl next year. I heard this last year.

Also I believe MLG is sponsoring APEX. Look at the APEX thread yourself to make sure, because I might be confusing it with some other national coming up.
!?!?!?!???!!!??

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Brawl blows. Anyone who is mad at me for that, doesn't have any faith in their game. I don't even raise a brow when I see brawl players bashing melee. The only reason it gets to you guys to the point that it does is cause your in denail that its good and know deep down truly in your hearts that it indeed does blow. And yah your gonna post "no thats not the reason We just dont want the melee community constnatly bashing our games. TBH I doubt any of the melee hardcore players go into ANY of the brawl specific forums at all and bash the game except for scrubs that are hardly in the community at real tournaments and stuff. And we can't be faulted for them. Those are in EVERY community. I haven't read brawl general discussion or any other brawl specific forum in like ... at least 6 months.
Who the **** plays Brawl and trolls the Melee boards? That's a horrible excuse sry 'cause we're just minding our business. If anything it's not a bash just ppl sharing their ideas of what the problem is. Again, why do we need MLG again?

And don't bring up that faith trash 'cause that falls under the religious category and there are countless Atheist on these boards. Some1 didn't like my game I feel sry for them. :sonic:

Fletch

Smash Master
Who the **** plays Brawl and trolls the Melee boards? That's a horrible excuse sry 'cause we're just minding our business.
This actually happens quite a bit; I haven't been to the Brawl boards in forever though so I can't say if it happens as much, but there's always going to be people like that in these kind of communities.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
People are still on this nonsense? Ugh...enough with the argument between the two games.

Also Blaz and Tekken have every right, if not more than SF4, to be on the pro circuit.

Most people don't even know about the AT's such as Wave Dashing (NO not like Melee), Electric Side stepping, Korean Backdashing, etc. So they isntantly write off Tekken.

As far as Blaz is concerned, it's a game that requires thinking as fast as you're moving. Much like Guilty Gear and Melty Blood. Most people aren't used to it. Also, I swear if someone brings up the V-13 issue, they know nothing of the game. Rachel is the most broken character in the game. Why do you think she got nerfed so hard? She's also the most successful tournament character. Rachel > V-13. The problem is that she has a MUCH harder learning curve. That's why people don't know. Rachel is scary business.

Anyway...just letting out a few things there. People should really stop bashing games. I have a vendetta against a few games, but I don't go out of my way to mention it ALL THE FRIGGIN' time. Except...DBZ games. MOST of them suck. =p

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
People are still on this nonsense? Ugh...enough with the argument between the two games.

Also Blaz and Tekken have every right, if not more than SF4, to be on the pro circuit.

Most people don't even know about the AT's such as Wave Dashing (NO not like Melee), Electric Side stepping, Korean Backdashing, etc. So they isntantly write off Tekken.

As far as Blaz is concerned, it's a game that requires thinking as fast as you're moving. Much like Guilty Gear and Melty Blood. Most people aren't used to it. Also, I swear if someone brings up the V-13 issue, they know nothing of the game. Rachel is the most broken character in the game. Why do you think she got nerfed so hard? She's also the most successful tournament character. Rachel > V-13. The problem is that she has a MUCH harder learning curve. That's why people don't know. Rachel is scary business.

Anyway...just letting out a few things there. People should really stop bashing games. I have a vendetta against a few games, but I don't go out of my way to mention it ALL THE FRIGGIN' time. Except...DBZ games. MOST of them suck. =p
off-topic: i heard blazblue was the brawl to Guilty gear, idk if i can support that tho, cuz i dont play either.

As for tekken, it deserves more credit than it gets. regardless, i really enjoy it. i just started getting realllly into it. too bad i cant practice at college

as for dbz, b3 is fun as hell, but competitive play is full of auto-combo stuff that looks to shell out a lot of the cool stuff that they stuffed into the game. infinite world looked like it could have been even greater, but top level play in that game is even gayer.

tenkaichi series shouldnt exist

overall, bashing games is fun though

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Sign of Madness: If you don't hang out with the Melee community then I'm not sure how you came to figure that Melee players are constantly *****ing about how terrible Brawl is.
Would you like me to point out every post in this thread that bashes Brawl?

When I was watching the Pound 4 stream it was getting RIDICULOUS how much "barwl sux" messages there were.

If you're not one of those people constantly going out of their way to unproductively bash someone's elses hobby, then what I said doesn't apply to you.
Anyone who is mad at me for that, doesn't have any faith in their game.
I don't have a problem with anyone having an opinion. But does that opinion have to be voiced ALL THE TIME FOR NO REASON?
The only reason it gets to you guys to the point that it does is cause your in denail that its good and know deep down truly in your hearts that it indeed does blow.
No I do agree with a lot of the complaints about the game. And I DO enjoy Melee more.

But the constant bashing of Brawl just reflects poorly on your community. It isn't productive in any way, it just seperates the communities further.

I mean if you're around a good basketball player, would you constantly ***** OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR 2 YEARS that Football is better than basketball?
TBH I doubt any of the melee hardcore players go into ANY of the brawl specific forums at all and bash the game except for scrubs that are hardly in the community at real tournaments and stuff. And we can't be faulted for them.
The scrubs are a part of the community.

And honestly they make your community look really crappy.
Anyway...just letting out a few things there. People should really stop bashing games. I have a vendetta against a few games, but I don't go out of my way to mention it ALL THE FRIGGIN' time.
Thisthisthis

I have no problem with people hating Brawl, but it isn't productive in any way to go out of your way and make a post about how Brawl sucks and Melee is better.

Every single complaint about Brawl has been said hundreds of times by now. Rementioning those complains is just plain REDUNDANT

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Would you like me to point out every post in this thread that bashes Brawl?

When I was watching the Pound 4 stream it was getting RIDICULOUS how much "barwl sux" messages there were.

If you're not one of those people constantly going out of their way to unproductively bash someone's elses hobby, then what I said doesn't apply to you. I don't have a problem with anyone having an opinion. But does that opinion have to be voiced ALL THE TIME FOR NO REASON? No I do agree with a lot of the complaints about the game. And I DO enjoy Melee more.

But the constant bashing of Brawl just reflects poorly on your community. It isn't productive in any way, it just seperates the communities further.

I mean if you're around a good basketball player, would you constantly ***** OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR 2 YEARS that Football is better than basketball? The scrubs are a part of the community.

And honestly they make your community look really crappy. Thisthisthis

I have no problem with people hating Brawl, but it isn't productive in any way to go out of your way and make a post about how Brawl sucks and Melee is better.

Every single complaint about Brawl has been said hundreds of times by now. Rementioning those complains is just plain REDUNDANT
Bashing Brawl is like taking a piss. It has to be let out every so often. It also carries the added bonus of feeling good, and any one who happens to stumble upon its path is offended.

@ QED: wtf is the deal, man? tho i do realize that the biggest form of flattery is mimicry...

Stev

Smash Ace
Are you really surprised when people kept asking every 30 minutes "What's going on with brawl?" "When's brawl gonna be on teh stream?" "Can we see brawl?" On the saturday live feed when in the pound 4 live stream thread it said that they were only showing brawl AFTER melee was done. Pound 4 was the only tournament with an intended melee focus / preference, and I'm pretty sure that was made clear by the TO and the community well before the tournament. Bad example.

L__

Smash Master
It was saddening seeing only 400 viewers after seeing the near 2000 viewers for Melee

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Are you really surprised when people kept asking every 30 minutes "What's going on with brawl?" "When's brawl gonna be on teh stream?" "Can we see brawl?" On the saturday live feed when in the pound 4 live stream thread it said that they were only showing brawl AFTER melee was done. Pound 4 was the only tournament with an intended melee focus / preference, and I'm pretty sure that was made clear by the TO and the community well before the tournament. Bad example.
You're right, not the best example. It was the first example that came to mind :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom