• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear MLG: bring smash back to MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggins

Smash Ace
who would watch melee? get with the program.
The 1500 people who were watching Pound 4 GF's would watch it. How about YOU get with the program.

I don't want to bash your game, but come on dude. Brawl is so boring and slow. There may be some tech involved in the game, but not nearly as much as melee and that's what makes melee soo fun to watch. It makes you want to be able to do those things. Maybe not to someone who plays Brawl because they think it's stupid, but us melee players think the **** is amazing and we all know it's a lot harder to play than your game. That's why people would watch melee.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Neither Brawl or Melee should be sponsored by MLG. They should pick a better game/series.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Better games/series in MLG? I quite believe that fighting games ni general are the most entertaining to WATCH someone play.

However...the reality of the matter is that not everyone is capable of attaining such a skill level. There are a ton of "Pro" players in shooting games. Getting a store to sponsor you in a game like Halo is a lot easier. Just prove to be better than your area of competition. Because Halo tends to rely on a TEAM as opposed to individual talent, it levels the playing field a bit, though.

In fighting games...you rely on individual talent which makes it harder to sponsor people. In streetfighter 4 I was the best on my block. However, I just slightly lost out to someone across the river at tournament. Getting top 4 isn't bad, but then you wonder if giving me the sponsorship is right.

My point?
You can get more out of a team based competition than you can with something that thrives on individual talent. All of the most popular sporting events require a team. Even WoW is team based. I don't know if people realize this or not. Look at the games in MLG...team based.

As a side note:
Something about Pound 4 that...unless you were there...I don't know if you could fully grasp it. Teams had support the whole way through. Cheering for Dr. PeePee and LOZR, SS and DR, Taj and Axe, Chu and Vidjo. If you had have seen it...it was insane. There were people that just flocked from projector to projector to TV, etc. As much as singles may be the main event....teams can really draw a crowd in.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Again, brawl is perfect for MLG. Its just a matter of if eveything works out. *points to the link is his previous post*

What we could do rather than complaining on smashboards (which is useless, becaus only jv will see it and he's already pushing for brawl in mlg), is actually contact mlg by the masses about getting brawl mlg. I intentionally leave out melee, because melee for mlg makes no sense frankly. =/

http://www.mlgpro.com/contact

fragbait

Smash Master
Again, brawl is perfect for MLG. Its just a matter of if eveything works out. *points to the link is his previous post*

What we could do rather than complaining on smashboards (which is useless, becaus only jv will see it and he's already pushing for brawl in mlg), is actually contact mlg by the masses about getting brawl mlg. I intentionally leave out melee, because melee for mlg makes no sense frankly. =/
Really? He's pushing?
What makes you think that?
He mentions the GBF articles, staffing, and the BR reform, but the fact of it is that while at the time, it was true, the SWFs are back to exactly where they were, save with a bunch of MLG ads at the top. There's no new GBF articles, there's not really a whole lot of visible staffing and the BR is still just as secretive and elitist and based in old ways so as to ignore the regular guy playing these games.

But, sure, they're treating us better than, say, dirt.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How does melee make no sense? It's more fun to watch, after EVERY big tourny were brawl and melee are held like 30 brawl players pick up melee, OS smashers are coming back, it's more hardcore, and 1/4 of your scene thinks brawl is going to die because of MK.

What does brawl have? People timing out each other(BTW this will happen more since there's more money on the line), a over centralised character(MK), Good graphics(I'll give you that), and slow campy gameplay.

Need proof that brawl players are quitting and picking up melee?

Ling ling and Excel from PR quit and said they were going to play 100% melee after they got timed out in teams by 2 MKs re-grabbing the edge over and over.

fragbait

Smash Master
How does melee make no sense? It's more fun to watch, after EVERY big tourny were brawl and melee are held like 30 brawl players pick up melee, OS smashers are coming back, it's more hardcore, and 1/4 of your scene thinks brawl is going to die because of MK.

What does brawl have? People timing out each other(BTW this will happen more since there's more money on the line), a over centralised character(MK), Good graphics(I'll give you that), and slow campy gameplay.

Need proof that brawl players are quitting and picking up melee?

Ling ling and Excel from PR quit said they were going to play 100% melee after they got timed out in teams by 2 MKs re-grabbing the edge over and over.
Do you have ANY NUMBERS to back up your claims in paragraph one, or are you just pulling them out of your ***?
Look, we all know how you Melee purists think, and we all know the issues with the game. The point is that our game is more accessible and is the newest game out. You don't see Halo 2 MLG tournaments just because a bunch of people say it's better. Melee is old news, and the community, while still strong, just doesn't have Brawl's numbers. And sooner or later, when the Back Room gets it's head out of it's *** and stops making decisions that the community disagrees with, MK will be banned or TOs will start banning him for them.
And We know people are quitting too, you don't need to provide 2 players that I've never even heard of as proof.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I hate the fact that new stuff automatically makes stuff "better".

It's ****ing ********. If MK doesn't get banned MLG will never pick up your game.

BTW NEW DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER.

you don't know who Ling ling and Excel_zero is? The D3 and the Peach from PR? Brawl players always tell me that they're pretty good.

edit: and I wish I had numbers for my first paragraph. After every big tourny I always see a lot of random brawl players posting in the melee forums. I might have been a little over the top with the number. As for the OS smashers coming back, PC said he's taking the game seriously again, Mike G is coming back, Isai said if scar trains him he'll come back, and Husband and Wife are coming back. It's just a matter of time before more come back. As for the brawl players thinking your scene is going to die, idk its hard to have a actual number for that, but a lot of brawl players say it, mostly the pro-ban ones.

Nightmare™

Smash Ace
I want melee back in mlg...but it wont happen because the games they have on mlg circuit have like over 1000 enterants usually. =/ It just cant keep up anymore its a waste of there money to provide for these tournys if they can just make more by hosting Gears Halo Cod etc etc.

Nightmare™

Smash Ace

It's ****ing ********. If MK doesn't get banned MLG will never pick up your game.

you don't know who Ling ling and Excel_zero is? The D3 and the Peach from PR? Brawl players always tell me that they're pretty good.
I'm preety sure Mlg doesnt know anything about MK so they wont care

fragbait

Smash Master

Pretty sure I never said anything about better, and "better" is a matter of opinion. Try reading the ENTIRE post before spouting your mouth.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I wasn't saying YOU think it's better, I was talking about random noobs. The people who wouldn't compete but would watch. I their minds new=better and I hate that mindset.

fragbait

Smash Master
I wasn't saying YOU think it's better, I was talking about random noobs. The people who wouldn't compete but would watch. I their minds new=better and I hate that mindset.
Indeed.
The reason I made sure to mention the newness is because they aren't going to run the older game over the new, more widely (outside of competition) popular and visible game.
Plus, it's a form of advertising. Nintendo doesn't print Melee anymore, why advertise a game that the Parent Company no longer makes money on?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I know if MLG picks up smash they'll pick up brawl. idc about that, it doesn't bother me. but I think if they pick up brawl they should pick up melee too. I want both to be on the circuit. I'm not saying melee>brawl for the circuit spot. Just clearing that up.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Dude...enough about the Brawl/Melee nonsense. People enjoy both games. Deal with it, live with it.

He's right about the Halo 2 thing. Most people say and know that Halo 2 in a better game. However...Halo 3 is newer. Somehow the crowd just goes with the "new" thing. It's what happens. There are more Brawl players that are starting to play Melee as well. I also see Melee players talking about picking up Brawl. Stop whhining about game flaws already. There's no reason Brawl OR Melee shouldn't be in MLG. However...if you want to take things for face value, pay attention to my last post. (Or just read this)

Team games run MLG. They run sports entertainment. Maybe not game shows, but the longest running single person game shows even do team competitions from time to time. (I'd say game shows are half and half) Brawl and Melee teams are fun as all heck and interesting to watch. They also tend to be devoid of camping for the most part. We;'ll see what happens this year, however.

fragbait

Smash Master
I'm not holding my breath. MLG won't deliver on really anything, we'll probably always get treated like second class competitive gamers because our game doesn't have headshots.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Brawl's such a boring game lol. No one wants to watch that ****.

Neither game's going to get on the roster by *****ing about it here though, go to their website?

:093:

fragbait

Smash Master
Brawl's such a boring game lol. No one wants to watch that ****.

Neither game's going to get on the roster by *****ing about it here though, go to their website?

:093:
Yeah, that's a matter of opinion there.
They really don't pay attention to when people contact them, I've been there, done that.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Melee is pretty fun to watch.
Brawl has it's moments but it has some interesting stuff.
Street Fighter 4 needz to be in!

idk about Blazblue and Tekken. 3rd Strike in MLG would be cool.

I don't like the Brawl vs Melee argument at all.

I doubt MLG will add in SSB64 :/

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Well, let's be honest, Brawl kids won't travel across the continent every month for a tourney.

MANLY MELEE MEN, on the other hand...

Allied

Smash Master
Nice mind game attempt with the avatar, allied. =P
pretty good eh?

the only thing that annoys me is because i'm such a social guy at tournaments and every time i introduce myself

EVERYONE thinks i say ally so they are like "omg... ur ally" and i'm like wut

hes my son anyway i dont care

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Brawl bashers makes melee players look ********. I'm a melee player, I don't want to look ******** cuz someone wants to senselessly bash brawl for no apparent reason.

I only bash brawl when someone says something completely ******** about Melee.

Allied

Smash Master
Only thing bad about melee i think everyone can agree about is

Puff Ditto Grand Finals

and we all know that ain't falco lol

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Puff dittoz suck. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The reason I play melee in the first place is so that I don't have to watch a slow, combo-less, campy matches with infinite recoveries. :mad::mad::mad:

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Ugh, i'm pretty sure any thread with Brawl&Melee discussion together that isn't about an upcoming tournament is FAIL.

Any post deciding which should be picked over the other is obviously biased based on what you like/play more..

Like right now, I'd love to tell off all the brawlers about how Melee has SO much more hype(which it obviously does, no matter what a brawl player says) which leads into more streamed views and interests, which leads into sponsorships and ****.

Like I really, honestly can NOT tell where Brawl out-does melee. I'm aware these threads are constantly cycled through about one flaming the other about which is better, but I want a knowledged user of BOTH GAMES to give me an idea.

I just can't see much enjoyment in watching a very skilled brawl match. Come-backs seem very slim, the game is quite slow and floaty, which makes for less mindgames..I watched a Semi or finals where ally played against a MK who spammed nado NONSTOP, wracked up sooo much damage, and just ***** ally.

It was almost like the MK was trying to tell the world "hey, i abuse my character with silly nonsense nonstop! why isn't anyone banning my character? LOLOLOL!"

Then you have matches like DSW vs M2K, Armada vs M2K, and other legendary match-ups where anything could happen. Melee is insanely deep, so one slip could lose you a match, which is probably why there's so much hype, a match could go from one having a huge lead, to losing that lead in seconds. Brawlers may see that as dumb, I see it as an unbelievably deep game(By mistake :p). Why? Because you need to be THAT good to not slip up. Where as in brawl, you have PLENTY of opportunities to slip up, mistakes don't lead to huge punishment in this game, at all.

Brawl having a bigger scene is because of the simplicity of brawl, and how someone with a much lower skill level than others can still keep up (Hence the younger audience)

I mean cmon guys, the games been going on for like 9 years for a reason.

But, I play melee, so yeah. I'm biased. :embarrass:

/rant. sry.

Allied

Smash Master
I just can't see much enjoyment in watching a very skilled brawl match. Come-backs seem very slim, the game is quite slow and floaty, which makes for less mindgames..I watched a Semi or finals where ally played against a MK who spammed nado NONSTOP, wracked up sooo much damage, and just ***** ally.
Wrong a grenade could stop that silly

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
LOL Fletch, you just got MINDGAMED. Thats Allied with Ally's avatar lol. I don't follow Brawl either but I know it goes like this

1st M2K
2nd Ally
3rd ADHD

and yes, Ally is the best Snake.

Fletch

Smash Master
LOL Fletch, you just got MINDGAMED. Thats Allied with Ally's avatar lol. I don't follow Brawl either but I know it goes like this

1st M2K
2nd Ally
3rd ADHD

and yes, Ally is the best Snake.
Ha yes, I saw that that was "Alied", but I was referring to the quote that he quoted about Ally not being able to handle an MK spamming nado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom