• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear MLG: bring smash back to MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
as we all know smash was once a big part of the mlg circuit in earlier years

but it was dropped and here we leave ourselves asking why?

really i cant see any legitimate reason for MLG to drop smash from their circuit i mean the game seemed to be pretty alive and now its more alive than ever! tournaments like pound and genesis dont just happen on accident with their ridiculously huge turnouts, both games are very alive and for being nine years old and still having an impressive 350 man tourney thats just screaming for MLG

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
as much as I want smash back on the circuit,

350 people for a national tournament isn't that good by MLG standards probably.

and MLG is not once a year. its every 2-3 months. attendance would drop off to like 100 per MLG. which is terrible

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
* Dear MLG: bring Melee back to MLG

Ripple, you're wrong. The turnout at *Pound* 4 shattered any previous MLG tourney by almost 100 entrants.

If you take away the 2006 MLG New York Playoffs, then *Pound* 4 shattered any other previous MLG tourney by almost 150 entrants.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
* Dear MLG: bring Melee back to MLG

Ripple, you're wrong. The turnout at *Pound* 4 shattered any previous MLG tourney by almost 100 entrants.

If you take away the 2006 MLG New York Playoffs, then *Pound* 4 shattered any other previous MLG tourney by almost 150 entrants.

...because MLG is not once a year. I didn't say MLG was bigger than pound 4. I said if MLG puts smash on the circuit then attendance would drop off.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
The whole point of the matter is without sponsors...the attendance just wouldn't be enough. If Smash gets enough sponsors, we'll see. Until then...it's just not happening. People WANT to get back into smash...however, the incentives probably just aren't enough for the average Smasher. Think of how much money they'd have to spend every 2-3 months on plane tickets, hotels, etc. Not everyone is Mango/M2K/Hbox/Armada/Amsah. There are too many unforseen factors and even though MLG would have SOME support...I don't think it'd have enough. At least unless shown otherwise.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
350 isnt big by mlg standards

smash was dropped because while it was having really big (for smash tournament) tournaments like 150 people, halo was getting like 500 every time. we would consider it amazing to get 200 person every few months, and that really isnt that impossible assuming the events are in good cities (which is inconsistent with mlg). but mlg can get way more people just by supporting halo and gears of war and the like

plus arent they all xbox/microsoft now anyway?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i just googled that and found some dudes saying the total is usually 1500-2000,which im pretty sure is for 4 games combined

edit: or maybe 5 games, wow is on there now apparently hahaha

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
i just googled that and found some dudes saying the total is usually 1500-2000,which im pretty sure is for 4 games combined

edit: or maybe 5 games, wow is on there now apparently hahaha
All those n00bs are playin' Xbox?

MLG has little variety if dat's tru so I wouldn't even care if they accepted us into their events or not. :samus2:

GreenFox

Smash Ace
WoW is in MLG they dont take their game selections seriously =/ who cares if its back into MLG if we still have big tournies like Pound

SheerMadness

Smash Master
MLG did not drop smash because they disliked it. Melee was a crowd favorite when it was in MLG. The Halo players loved watching it and by the end of the 06 a lot of top Halo players even started to enter the Melee tourneys.

MLG bought smashboards so the smash community will always have a place to gather. They also sponsored grass roots melee tourneys across the country the year after they dropped melee.

The smash community really impressed MLG while melee was on it, they've even said that themselves multiple times. If they didn't think they could be making A LOT more money with w/e game they replaced melee with I'm sure they'd take melee back in an instant.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Actually...WoW has support beyond all compare. Which is why it's in MLG.
MLG is supposed to be picking up SF4, or so the rumors say. If anything, they'll probably wait until SSF4 before they do it. The support is the key. Support and Sponsors. Smash is a great community on its own. The problem is the sponsors. We have none. If we had sponsors we'd probably be doing LOADS better. It's just how things are. When/IF we get enough sponsor support, smash will be back in MLG.

Smash is overlooked as such an "easy" game and so on and so forth. Hopefully with the support we got from VGBootcamp at Pound, we'll se more exposure as a community. Smash is an impressive community to stay alive and get to where it has. With big names coming back...we may see a new era just yet.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Hey guys, remember how the biggest tournament in the community's history happened like a week ago? Remember how it brought in only 500 people? That was a great reason to be back in the circuit
It's not going to happen. Just enjoy VG boot camp (while it lasts)

I mean they won't read this anyway

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
Live WoW PvP (when played at its highest level) is really quite entertaining, so i can definitely see that. but yeah the cost of travelling would just be to much for people, especially now-a-days.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
m2k has a point about sponsorships. melee is just as legitimate as any other game to be put onto a major pro circuit. only, i think the people are just not willing to invest the money required to start up something that could deter regular attendance at tournies that would be held too frequently.

basically, **** the economy right now.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl is more popular then every title MLG runs except Halo 3.

Attendance is mostly meaningless. Its about the online audiance and ability for a game to get a sponsor. The WoW tournaments at MLG are only 8 teams (or was it 16?) and yet its the most watched stream and one of the most sponsored games.

The Irish Mafia

Still, "hey guys wanna go play some Brawl" brawl =/= Competitive brawl. People don't want to watch 2 MK's ledge camping, they want to see 4 for all on Flat Zone 2 with Smash balls, and captain falcon falcon punching people.

Most casual brawl players are completely unaware of advanced techniques and will probably be happier playing the game without them, let alone watching them.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
see irish mafia, the only thing wrong with what you said is that it applies to the 2008 mentality, but in case you were wondering, which I'm sure you are, we're in 2010 now.

Allied

Smash Master
thats just 3 of you guys personal opinions there are plenty of people that watch brawl and watch the live stream i see everytime theres just a local tournament with big names theres easily just 100 people watching and its not even like broadcasted or announced just posted in like a crew thread and people get ahold of it

The Irish Mafia

The reason I can see melee back on the circuit is because every scrub can look at falcon doing dthrow nair uair knee and go "Awesome. I wish I was good enough to do that". It's just fun to watch.
The problem is it's viewed as an outdated kid game. I mean, melee was lucky to even get a T rating, LOL

@Allied: That's because the viewers are usually in the competitive scene and actually know the tech skill / whatever's involved in their actions. Uncompetitive players probably won't watch a d3 chaingrab someone for 8 minutes.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Smash should be in a MLG god dammit. The Smash community is huge and yet they are ignoring it. MLG needs to have more variety other then FPS anyway.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Brawl is more popular then every title MLG runs except Halo 3.

Attendance is mostly meaningless. Its about the online audiance and ability for a game to get a sponsor. The WoW tournaments at MLG are only 8 teams (or was it 16?) and yet its the most watched stream and one of the most sponsored games.
Only smart post so far.

There is no one reason why brawl isn't in mlg. Everyone who is saying brawl is perfect for mlg is probably right, it should be there, but things just don't work out perfectly sometimes.

anyway this thread is pointless because of this:
PRESS ME!!!

@m2k: I heard some company in cali was sponsoring you. Is that untrue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom