• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Social: we livin' in smash 4

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Pretty much. I asked Lain about it at the tourney, and he told me my problem was going Dedede in the first place. I'm probably gonna stick with ROB in the Samus MU, even though its not particularly great for ROB either. :/

Tmacc

Smash Lord
This MU is pretty easy IMO. I've played a few good Samuses, namely Clove (Jack) who used to live in MO and plays a great samus. Legan plays Samus sometimes too, and his is pretty good aswell. The MU is all powershielding. Run and PS, don't walk. Rush her, get the grab, chain grab to the edge, and edgeguard smartly. Stay a little above her and come down on her with a bair. Do NOT get below her. It's also smart to grab the ledge and bait her when she tries to up b or gets close to the ledge. It's a pretty simple MU. You should easily live out most stocks to 200+.
Waddles are really good too. It messes with her projectile game. Just get a couple on the stage to have them out there.
If you think she's going to jump and Zair or missile and you are close, roll behind and get a surprise uptilt. Its such a great thing to do if you read people who jump a lot close to the ground like samus, peach, etc.
Sdi her uair and up b, don't take dair combos on stage. Also, watchout for zair and fair from the ledge. Samuses do that. And watchout for charged shot set ups (zair-CS, missile set ups, reading your ps pattern and punishing it).
It's such a simple MU once you've practiced it and know it. At first it can definately be a challenge though.

Those are my key points, I'll probably post more later. I'm on my phone lol

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
alot of mu's get easy after you pshield all their attacks. Thanks to ddds grab range you can pretty much grab them right out of pshielding since you dont move at all

Zwarm

Smash Hero
This MU is pretty easy IMO. I've played a few good Samuses, namely Clove (Jack) who used to live in MO and plays a great samus. Legan plays Samus sometimes too, and his is pretty good aswell. The MU is all powershielding. Run and PS, don't walk. Rush her, get the grab, chain grab to the edge, and edgeguard smartly. Stay a little above her and come down on her with a bair. Do NOT get below her. It's also smart to grab the ledge and bait her when she tries to up b or gets close to the ledge. It's a pretty simple MU. You should easily live out most stocks to 200+.
Waddles are really good too. It messes with her projectile game. Just get a couple on the stage to have them out there.
If you think she's going to jump and Zair or missile and you are close, roll behind and get a surprise uptilt. Its such a great thing to do if you read people who jump a lot close to the ground like samus, peach, etc.
Sdi her uair and up b, don't take dair combos on stage. Also, watchout for zair and fair from the ledge. Samuses do that. And watchout for charged shot set ups (zair-CS, missile set ups, reading your ps pattern and punishing it).
It's such a simple MU once you've practiced it and know it. At first it can definately be a challenge though.

Those are my key points, I'll probably post more later. I'm on my phone lol
Thanks for the writeup Tmacc! I think my main problem is that I was walking and PSing, allowing her time to drop back onto the ledge as I approached. I was living to those percents, the problem was when I was around 170+, she was only around 80 at most times. I guess I just need to work at it more.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I'll also thank you Tmacc. Makes things quite a lot clearer for me, as if it shouldn't have been already ;P

I live something like 4 hours away from my competitive scene, as I've said before, so it isn't exactly easy to get matchup experience when it would be nice.

My best MUs are MK and Snake though.

MK being my personal favourite matchup.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thing is he didnt even stop nadoing even after he got punished[see what coney said]

this isnt a friendly its torture, and a waste of training time
its better that you learn how to beat it and what to do in friendlies than getting that done to you in tourney liek i did....
I remember I DI'ed out of nado once. I dropped the controller, walked away, and declared myself a winner for not only that match, but for every subsequent match I played that day.
well played my dude.
sup @ ya boi mikehaze

bro did you just namesearch "ikehaze"
I couldnt contain my laughter when I read this
Thanks for the writeup Tmacc! I think my main problem is that I was walking and PSing, allowing her time to drop back onto the ledge as I approached. I was living to those percents, the problem was when I was around 170+, she was only around 80 at most times. I guess I just need to work at it more.

when i saw your avi and sig, I thought this was vex posting for a sec.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
lol TUSM..you are a winner though for DIing out of Nado.

TUSM I added you to the OP of the interview thread. And I added Tmacc and Atomsk. I put myself at the bottom as I'm not in a giant rush to be interviewed anyway.

I hate work lol They made me work 12 hours yesterday because someone called off without a good reason.

Man my birthday is on Friday..I am getting ****ED the **** up this weekend.

∫unk

Smash Master
tbh i'm not usually that bad at SDI, i just got caught off-guard i guess that early in the stock and had just got done fighting shugo, and i have a big problem with running out of mental energy against MKs :/

i know it sounds like johns and i guess they are, but i don't mean them to! i just wasn't ready for it, hahah :<
Nahhh... actually I'm tired of the term "no johns"

Story time:
Last night I was a little inebriated on top of just driving 5 hours to socal and I host a smashfest. I also had knee surgery last wednesday.

I feel like at that point I'm allowed to say something about my physical status affecting my mentality but then I hear this loud voice in my head saying "NO JOHNS!!!"; in response I immediately think, 'wait I can't excuse myself ever?'

Maybe it's just me but it seems like everything can be a John nowadays. That John that started it all probably doesn't even play smash.

shock me like an electric eel
bzzz

Junk do you have any video examples of realistic applications of buffering and platform cancels?

I'm trying make my D3 faster and more technical.
No because I haven't been playing much recently (past few weeks) due to summer finals, then surgery, then fall registration (in the UC system it's a scramble to get your classes because of budget cuts classes are overfull).

But for example vs Snake if you know they like to Jump back Up B off the CG (you can condition them into this), you can chaingrab with the platform then f-throw them then immediately platform cancel, now they're going to jump back Up B and be in a horrible position. It makes recovering vertically away from the ledge much more difficult.

It's also because when you're on the ground as DDD you're a lot faster horizontally than you are in the air so when you're air chasing it's important to follow on the ground first and have a general idea of their landing point before you commit yourself to the air.

Of course this all depends on the situation/reads/conditioning you've done sooo basically all I can say is play around with it it'll be different for every player because we all tend to do other things at other frequencies which changes the success rate of this one specific thing we're talking about.

Coney

Smash Master
yeah i kinda hate the term too tbh, i just say it to prevent everyone from jumping on me!

most things i don't understand why they're johns though; i run out of mental energy because i'm bad, and me saying so doesn't mean that i would've beaten atomsk or even sdi'd the rufio, it was just something that i think affected me. if it didn't affect me, i'd be a better player, obviously, so i've always thought of it less like a john and more like acknowledging weaknesses

i once got asked how i lost against a diddy here, i said i got gimped @ low percents, and they told me "NO JOHNS"

like really? i mean 1) you asked, and 2) i'm not at all saying that i would've won otherwise! and then people say "well you're saying it indirectly because you didn't just say you got outplayed," but something that huge needs to be acknowledged, ddd doesn't die @ 40% ever unless we severely **** up

i guess most people just try to push away their flaws as a player instead of identify and rectify them so it's kind of a reflex at this point, either way, community's dumb

also that's a neat plat cancel application...i couldn't think of many uses for it but the snake MU alone is worth enough to learn it i think. also i imagine plat cancels would really screw with warios trying to airdodge onto the plat, especially if you catch them while it's moving forward, oh boy what fun

ZTD | TECHnology

People take internet terms and memes and just blow it out of proportion. Nowadays if I said, I'm tired from wor- "NO JOHNS!!!!" It's dumb tbh.

And that is a pretty cool application of the platform cancel. i suppose I will just have to do some exploring and see what I come up with. Although now I know something else vs Snake so thats a plus.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i only say the pharse no johns when someone keeps chronically making excuses

tl;dr also pisses me off quite abit, why did you even learn to read the english language if you need it chewed up n spit out for you to eat?

It's also because when you're on the ground as DDD you're a lot faster horizontally than you are in the air so when you're air chasing it's important to follow on the ground first and have a general idea of their landing point before you commit yourself to the air.
agreeing with this so hard atm

Zwarm

Smash Hero
i only say the pharse no johns when someone keeps chronically making excuses
Same. We have a new version of no johns around IL, but I'm not gonna post it here, just in case a certain someone sees it. ;)

Basically, one kid around here complains about EVERYTHING, so we coined the phrase. No johns is pretty much dead around here because of it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
there was a guy on these boards that once wrote that johning in essence is the same as lying to yourself

you make an excuse to cover up your weakness

an excuse to explain your short comings in a game

when ppl quit johning to themselves and to others is when they start getting better

yes you did lose the match, to who? how? the person that takes their short comings and study what they did wrong will become really good players.

Another thing too is, i see alot of top players not practicing anymore. Cant do that in this meta game. Your just asking for less than top 8 if your a top player and stop practicing...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
coney, you pretty much have the right understanding of what the difference is between johns and personal acknowledgement, but most people (me included) just say johns all the time to troll people

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
seriously i cannot wait for the thread****ing to begin once its out

**** will be so cash

RATED

Smash Lord
Did you by chance play against Sago's Samus? It's pretty legit.

And I have like no Samus experience as D3 lol. Infinites are banned most places so I wouldn't even know what to do besides PS and wall with Bair lol.
that's like almost DDD does in every matchup except from some add here and get that out in some little stuff.

Yet DDD is that good. <3

ZTD | TECHnology

^Swallow kind of counts as that.

And guys I seriously think King Dedede knows it's my birthday. I have NEVER pulled out so many Gordos today in my life. It's amazing lol

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
you should try what i do and toss out dees as your opponent respawns in the hopes that the next dee toss is a gordo

habby bday(least your not getting too worked to death today right?)

ZTD | TECHnology

Yes! Thank you for the title :D

And thanks D3. Lol I should try that....I'm about to go out to dinner but first...might as well see how many more Gordos I can get lol

And **** work I took today and the rest of the weekend off.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Happy (late) Birthday TChase!

Also, D3 is now exactly where he should be on the tier list IMO. The only problem with the old one was he was above Olimar and Pikachu. Now they too are above him, and I think he's right where he should be.

Coney

Smash Master
yeah i always feel more and more comfortable every time they move him down

if he goes below g&w though i'll riot

i heard a song that completely describes my views on smash, weird as that sounds, so i might be putting out a real short highlight vid soon

watch out for it

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
been sayn dis awhile but imo DDD will prolly end upper middle tier range at the end of brawls life time

ZTD | TECHnology

Happy (late) Birthday TChase!

Also, D3 is now exactly where he should be on the tier list IMO. The only problem with the old one was he was above Olimar and Pikachu. Now they too are above him, and I think he's right where he should be.
Thanks bro. And I completely agree with you about D3s placement on the list. Back in the day it was understandable why he was top tier. And he just keeps slowly moving down as the game progresses but it seems right. Like Coney said I feel more comfortable about it since it seems like hes where he needs to be. He's still a good character <3

And thanks Junk for the bday wish also :D

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i cant fully understand why we all so chill with DDD moving down..its so silly and funny when you think about it. Some other character boards all uppity about how their character never moves n shiz.

but not those ppl maining DDD no sirre

Top Bottom