• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Nobody does it but I honestly feel other characters shouldn't be added to their names if they didn't win with them. Ex. MVD with Falcon DH. NR with Bowser.
Let me ask you this:

Suppose me and Zero are the only good players in a tourney. I troll around as only Zelda all tourney, and win every game. Then I get to Zero and I go Ness, and he still destroys me.

Should I be counted as playing Zelda and not Ness?

Isn't the fact that I deliberately chose Ness when all the chips were on the table and it actually mattered, infinitely more important? Even though I still loss? Isn't that data more significant?

Cassio

Smash Master
So glad Zero and Nairo got 1st/2nd, clearly the top two players in the US.

Also so many Rosalina haters, Dabuz wasnt even camping he had some really smart gameplay. Vs larry was only annoying bc larry didnt know what he was doing.
Well, congrats to ZeRo, I guess...but now he is one win away from effectively putting the nail on the coffin of Smash 4's competitive scene. R.I.P. Smash 4 Competitive Scene
Far from the truth, Zero deserves his success

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Well, congrats to ZeRo, I guess...but now he is one win away from effectively putting the nail on the coffin of Smash 4's competitive scene. R.I.P. Smash 4 Competitive Scene
With time go on some people will join him att the apex of the competitive scene.
I see @ Thinkaman Thinkaman believe in him lol.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No. ******* or not, You played Zelda 6+ sets against bad players or sub par players and won but lost with Ness.
Also there's no tournament where there's only gonna be 2 good players. Literally impossible.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Oh no, I'm not saying he didn't deserve it at all. He definitely did, but with this dominance comes the facade that there is no real competition, and a lack of true competition is boring to watch. This was never ZeRo's fault from the first place, it is just an unfortunate circumstance that no one can get on his level.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Also there's no tournament where there's only gonna be 2 good players. Literally impossible.
Ehh... places with bad to mediocre scenes. This happens.

There's a weekly tournament near Seattle that is free because the better players don't usually go.

Edit: But yes, with respect to regionals/nationals. Impossible.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
ZeRo make's:4sheik: look really really good against anyone. It kinda Ironic how he makes the full-time sheik mains look weaker then his :4sheik:.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Edit: But yes, with respect to regionals/nationals. Impossible.
Yes I meant regionals/Nationals. The data from tournaments like that are more important than someone winning 10-30 player sized locals with Samus or WFT.

We don't care who you lost as, we wanna know who you win with. Well at least I do and if I ever had my own tournament series I'd ask who they won with, not who they played in tournament.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
ZeRo had a girlfriend there. That's *cough* cheating. :4diddy: (GGs Zero your matches vs Nairo were awesome :) )
*cough cough* anyway CEO had some great matches. ZSS vs Sheik had me thinking I was watching Melee. Larry showed off some crazy stuff with Fox and Luigi, so I'm pretty convinced about learning them (wasn't before cause I wasn't sure how they played at a high level). Whoever pulled out that Samus and won, I'm surprised. I feel like I can just play my Link to get out of pools, use Falcon, Ganon, Luigi, and Ryu/Fox in top 32, then dominate the top 8 with Link and Ryu. The dream is real, yo.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
We don't care who you lost as, we wanna know who you win with. Well at least I do and if I ever had my own tournament series I'd ask who they won with, not who they played in tournament.
The character you lost with in your final match matters more than the characters you won with in less difficult matches. That was my point.

The characters that top players resort to when all the chips are on the table is the single most important piece of data.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
But they lost with it, should it still count?
Granted both our points have the obvious same flaw. Somebody that's a good/top player can play the entire cast and have them all next to their names even if they didn't win or lose. So yeah, it's a circle that keeps on going.

I just lean more on the "they need to win with the character" side even tho that flaw from before is a possibility. Though the winning side means there'll be less characters next to their name.
Bo3, if all character regardless of result. 3 characters. If win, 2. Same thing for bo5, 3 characters instead of 5 if we were to say it all went to last game of the set.

Last edited:

BiRdZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brock722
3DS FC
2535-4775-2786
So glad Zero and Nairo got 1st/2nd, clearly the top two players in the US.

Also so many Rosalina haters, Dabuz wasnt even camping he had some really smart gameplay. Vs larry was only annoying bc larry didnt know what he was doing.

People think defensive=campy, that's why.

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
The character you lost with in your final match matters more than the characters you won with in less difficult matches. That was my point.

The characters that top players resort to when all the chips are on the table is the single most important piece of data.
Honestly those counter picks seemed like hail maries. That Samus and especially that Captain Falcon seemed like a "I'm losing anyway so I might as well try something different" situation.

NairWizard

Somewhere

I agree with this, but we should qualify it with some context, maybe.

What if Nairo is down 0-2 against ZeRo and pulls out Zelda or Robin or Lucina because he thinks that he can't win, so he may as well have some fun? Does that count as Nairo "relying" on Zelda, or just trying something out for the hell of it?

edit: damnit why is everyone ninja'ing me today

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You can't just look at the move in a vacuum like that. Its all about which kit this tool is attached to. You can't just compare her juggling options to a character that can toss out any aerial, FF to the ground before you, readjust horizontal spacing continue to juggle to wherever you jumped to. None of Rosalina's aerials even hit inside her body, so if you get a well timed airdodge past the hitboxes, you can't just pump our nair like Fox.

If you take a large target with low weight and a vulnerable recovery you can see how easily a "balanced" pool of moves turns that character into arguably one of the worst (Mewtwo).

Uair/Utilt base knockback might be a bit much, but if you let Rosalina take you to Halberd (or worse take her there twice) you can't really be surprised when this happens.
The thing is Rosalina has good air speed, falls slowly so she can drift in and out, and her jump is good. Most characters have to get right in to hit anything and end up throwing a hurtbox and hitbox out. Weapon users have disjoints, but Shulk's Uair isn't fast compared to Rosalina's and he's not as tall as her which adds onto her ranged Uair.

Her Uair cannot be challenged from above and few characters can even challenge below them. Yes, you can challenge her from the sides and from below, but the question is how do you get there when she throws out a disjoint like that? Can you air dodge her Uair? Absolutely, but what if she reads it? You're going to get hit. You could jump or drift out as well, but she'll follow, especially against fast fallers or characters with below average air speed. In theory, anything can be avoided, but in practice, not so much.

The issue is the balance between speed and power with her Uair along with how she works that makes it strong. Anyone can kill anyone early on Halberd, but it's the ease that she can that makes the difference. Fox would have to find a way to setup the Uair and Uair again closer the ceiling at low percents, but his jump isn't exactly good. Can he run around and position himself? Yes, but once he commits, he's going to have to fast fall down since his air speed and fall speed won't let him drift around like Rosalina. Yoshi can run around and drift around too, but his Uair's range is short - of all the moves where his tail doesn't stretch. Rosalina has ground speed and air speed to move around. Once she launches you, you're at her mercy. Her Uair isn't broken or a super versatile move like pre-pre-patch Diddy's Swiss Army Knife Uair, but it's a bit too strong when you tie in everything.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The thing is Rosalina has good air speed, falls slowly so she can drift in and out, and her jump is good. Most characters have to get right in to hit anything and end up throwing a hurtbox and hitbox out. Weapon users have disjoints, but Shulk's Uair isn't fast compared to Rosalina's and he's not as tall as her which adds onto her ranged Uair.

Her Uair cannot be challenged from above and few characters can even challenge below them. Yes, you can challenge her from the sides and from below, but the question is how do you get there when she throws out a disjoint like that? Can you air dodge her Uair? Absolutely, but what if she reads it? You're going to get hit. You could jump or drift out as well, but she'll follow, especially against fast fallers or characters with below average air speed. In theory, anything can be avoided, but in practice, not so much.

The issue is the balance between speed and power with her Uair along with how she works that makes it strong. Anyone can kill anyone early on Halberd, but it's the ease that she can that makes the difference. Fox would have to find a way to setup the Uair and Uair again closer the ceiling at low percents, but his jump isn't exactly good. Can he run around and position himself? Yes, but once he commits, he's going to have to fast fall down since his air speed and fall speed won't let him drift around like Rosalina. Yoshi can run around and drift around too, but his Uair's range is short - of all the moves where his tail doesn't stretch. Rosalina has ground speed and air speed to move around. Once she launches you, you're at her mercy. Her Uair isn't broken or a super versatile move like pre-pre-patch Diddy's Swiss Army Knife Uair, but it's a bit too strong when you tie in everything.
Rosalina needs reads to kill. That's why nairo lived to like 180 vs him. If you're dying to Rosalina stuff it's on you. She doesn't have any kill setups. Dabuz lost to esam and nairo zss and pikachu are both bad mu's. People don't know the rosalina MU and don't cp her properly. There's maybe 5-7 characters she just loses to and most of them are top tier characters. All with better mobility frame data kill power and kill set ups.

BiRdZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brock722
3DS FC
2535-4775-2786
Honestly those counter picks seemed like hail maries. That Samus and especially that Captain Falcon seemed like a "I'm losing anyway so I might as well try something different" situation.
Didn't they say something about EASM playing Samus in other games and a little in this one? I agree with what you're saying though.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
To be honest, all that leaves is :4dedede::4drmario::4falco::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4link::4lucina::4mewtwo::4miigun::4pacman::4robinm::4tlink::4zelda:.
There was a Bowser Jr., but I don't think he made it out of pools, but I don't know if he made it out of pools... I think the Bowser Jr., well, Morton, lost to Vinnie. Same with Mr. Game & Watch I think since I don't think GimR made it out. Lucas could have had a showing had Nakat didn't lose in pools like that. For the rest, they either didn't show up while Falco walked in and was buried on the spot after being murdered.

Rosalina needs reads to kill. That's why nairo lived to like 180 vs him. If you're dying to Rosalina stuff it's on you. She doesn't have any kill setups. Dabuz lost to esam and nairo zss and pikachu are both bad mu's. People don't know the rosalina MU and don't cp her properly. There's maybe 5-7 characters she just loses to and most of them are top tier characters. All with better mobility frame data kill power and kill set ups.
I know she needs the kill, but at certain times, especially on Halberd where yes, anyone can kill early, it's been her to kill that early and that often. A little tweak to her Uair or something so that picking Halberd doesn't become like choosing a grave site since it's the stage for her like how Mii Brawler thrives on Smashville or was it Town & City?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Out of all the top characters that made it in top 8, I think :4fox: and :4luigi: have the most trouble against Link. Thats not saying they don't win, though. Fox is combo bait for Link due to being a fast faller and he can't camp anymore because Link can now for the first time ever block his lasers with the Hylian Shield (yay \ :) / ). Luigi is gonna have a harder time approaching Link than before because his grab range is pretty long. He's also the most predictable out of the top 8 because his mobility isn't very good (meaning Sheik can stuff him to hell with her baits and reads), so that gives Link a fighting chance.
I'll admit, they aren't Link's best MUs, but I don't think they invalidate him, either. Probably 60:40 or 55:45 (at best) in their favor.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
ESAM is a flat out amazing player to begin with. People should not be surprised he can win with any character at top level. He's that good.

Samus still needs buffs, but yes you can die to Smash 4 Samus, and no it's not through missile spam. Esam missed 3 separate combo opportunities in that fight, it could have been even more one-sided.
Samus' combo tree is so insanely large now, no one is a real master of it or the character yet. There is a lot of mileage still to go, the meta is still evolving rapidly.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I honestly thought MVD could have won against Dabuz. The Gravitational Pull baits are real + the frisbee destroys Luma

Such a great tournament. ZeRo and Nairo definitely re-establishing/establishing their dominance. I have to say Nairo looked even with ZeRo on more than one occasion in GFs (BUT PLEASE STOP GRABBING SO MUCH). The character diversity and just... seeing the decision making of high level play makes me really hyped to see where this games goes.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I honestly thought MVD could have won against Dabuz. The Gravitational Pull baits are real + the frisbee destroys Luma

Such a great tournament. ZeRo and Nairo definitely re-establishing/establishing their dominance. I have to say Nairo looked even with ZeRo on more than one occasion in GFs (BUT PLEASE STOP GRABBING SO MUCH). The character diversity and just... seeing the decision making of high level play makes me really hyped to see where this games goes.
The high level play was pretty intense. Really enjoyed Zero vs Nairo, too. (What were u expecting them to do, dash attack all over the place? The grabbing made it all the more intense IMO)

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
The high level play was pretty intense. Really enjoyed Zero vs Nairo, too. (What were u expecting them to do, dash attack all over the place? The grabbing made it all the more intense IMO)
Oh nonono, that's not what I meant. I meant Nairo got way too randy with ZSS's grabs and got punished for the endlag multiple times.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh nonono, that's not what I meant. I meant Nairo got way too randy with ZSS's grabs and got punished for the endlag multiple times.
That grab lag is the only thing that keeps that stupid character in check.

"Don't grab" isn't realistic. Especially when she gets so much reward for it, doubly so on BF variations.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
A few too many Boost Kicks out of shield as well. I don't think he hit a single one all day and ate a lot of damage while attempting to reset back to neutral.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I missed the stream. Which character Luigi loses? I heard it was Samus?

IMO, the MU is in our favor. Missiles are worthless due to Fireballs. She is kinda still a combo food even though she is a floaty (Weight and height make it all), and she has slow rolls, possibly the slowest in the entire game. This makes her rolls fairly punishable. Charge Shot and Z-air are only her saving grace. Did I mention she is susceptible to HooHahNado (Yeah. I mention this a lot. But it matters a lot)? She is flpaty, which means early vertical KOs, which means a birthday present for Luigi.

BiRdZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brock722
3DS FC
2535-4775-2786

IMO, the MU is in our favor. Missiles are worthless due to Fireballs. She is kinda still a combo food even though she is a floaty (Weight and height make it all), and she has slow rolls, possibly the slowest in the entire game. This makes her rolls fairly punishable. Charge Shot and Z-air are only her saving grace. Did I mention she is susceptible to HooHahNado (Yeah. I mention this a lot. But it matters a lot)? She is flpaty, which means early vertical KOs, which means a birthday present for Luigi.
It was Larry Lurr's Luigi vs EASM's Samus. No one really plays Samus at high level, so Larry most likely didn't know what to expect. EASM was walling Larry out with Zairs and charge shots so he couldn't get in.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Luigi got 2 stock'd by Samus. And ESAM apparently dropped several combos so he could have stomped Larry harder.

It looks really bad for Luigi. Too much stuff for him to get through. He has tools for individual aspects, but those aspects come in too rapidly.

As well, being floaty doesn't mean early vertical KOs. Its weight that decides that and Samus is pretty heavy. I'd also think that bomb dropping makes it hard to grab her because well, suddenly tiny moving hitbox and a bomb at his feet.

NairWizard

Somewhere
(BUT PLEASE STOP GRABBING SO MUCH)
What else was he going to do though?

If you paid close attention to the way ZeRo played vs. Nairo and vs. ESAM, you should have noticed just how much more shield ZeRo used when fighting Nairo. He dashed into a shield right next to ZSS many, many times, and shielded so many attacks that his shield almost broke several times. But he kept shielding even then.

ZeRo basically said to Nairo, "Here is my shield, what are you going to do about it?" In response, Nairo had no choice but to grab more than a few times to break ZeRo out of that pattern and get hits. At the beginning of Grand Finals, we saw ZeRo drop a game (and half of the following game) where he got grabbed many, many times because he was spotdodging and rolling more often, and then he adapted in the following matches and went back to his shielding pattern in order to win the set.

That 16-frame grab with tons of endlag is not a consistent option, despite its high reward, and ZeRo abused that weakness (as he should have). ZSS is probably overtuned relative to the rest of the cast on most of her moves, range/damagewise, but that grab may just keep her in check.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
She is flpaty, which means early vertical KOs, which means a birthday present for Luigi.
Samus is also a heavyweight; tied with Bowser Jr. at 108. Main difference is that Jr.'s a somewhat of a fast faller and Yoshi's a floaty too and weighs 4 units less, but he falls slightly faster than Samus. Bowser and Charizard are also sorta floaties, but they're much heavier than Samus; Bowser at 128 and Charizard at 115.

They're probably heavy enough where their floatiness doesn't impact them a lot unlike Mewtwo who falls normally, but weighs so little that he dies to the stupidest things. Bowser lives similar to Triple D who's the second fastest faller in the game and weighs only 9 units less than Bowser. Or sort of Little Mac and Falco who are fast fallers, but not to the extent Fox is where Fox actually lives barely single digits close to Little Mac and Falco at times.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
What else was he going to do though?

If you paid close attention to the way ZeRo played vs. Nairo and vs. ESAM, you should have noticed just how much more shield ZeRo used when fighting Nairo. He dashed into a shield right next to ZSS many, many times, and shielded so many attacks that his shield almost broke several times. But he kept shielding even then.

ZeRo basically said to Nairo, "Here is my shield, what are you going to do about it?" In response, Nairo had no choice but to grab more than a few times to break ZeRo out of that pattern and get hits. At the beginning of Grand Finals, we saw ZeRo drop a game (and half of the following game) where he got grabbed many, many times because he was spotdodging and rolling more often, and then he adapted in the following matches and went back to his shielding pattern in order to win the set.

That 16-frame grab with tons of endlag is not a consistent option, despite its high reward, and ZeRo abused that weakness (as he should have). ZSS is probably overtuned relative to the rest of the cast on most of her moves, range/damagewise, but that grab may just keep her in check.
Of course. I totally agreed with how he played the ZSS MU. With his reaction times Nairo couldn't safety throw out grabs. His shields were almost free.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So please tell me after that slaughterhouse display that no one still thinks Sheik is not the best character in the game.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
But the thing is that Zero can actually get beated by a really good Roy. I'm stating this, because I tested something out that is really impressive. Roy's Up Air has more priority than Sheik's Fair. That can actually change the match-up. It's just my opinion though. I really want to see some Roy or Lucas success. And I find Lucas as a High Tier character :p If anyone wants to argue, feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom