• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawlers hate us-What can we do?-READ FIRST POST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The Melee scene just needs to run stuff and stay alive. Ignore the noobs and the idiots in GD, most Brawl players in the know respect Melee and still like it. Don't fall for the stupidity, and don't act elitist when responding to the Brawl camp. People like different things, don't force anything and show, not tell.

I can't stress this enough, DO NOT BE SMUG PRICKS ABOUT MELEE OR BRAWL'S MERITS. Saying "lulz Melee > Brawl nub" will only fan the flames. See both sides of the coin, and if you don't like the other side, keep it to yourself. The main reason that Brawl cats flip out in GD is because the Melee side come off as elitists and jerks.

Don't talk ****, won't be ****. It's as simple as that.
Yea, your right, but this thread has been thrown to the wolves already. I've said it time and time again, there will be no smash community eventually unless theres a permanent split between the melee community and the brawl community(As far as smashboards goes)

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yea, your right, but this thread has been thrown to the wolves already. I've said it time and time again, there will be no smash community eventually unless theres a permanent split between the melee community and the brawl community(As far as smashboards goes)
I don't think the Melee community can afford a permanent split from the Brawl community. We're connected at the hip, whether we like it or not.

RDK

Smash Hero
I think splitting the community in two is a bad idea, and definetely won't help the Melee crowd's numbers at this point.

As far as Melee goes, the only way to keep it alive is to keep hosting Melee tournies, but only a handful are taking the initiative. Melee will eventually fall behind Brawl as the tournament standard (thanks to the sheer numbers of Brawl enthusiasts), and there's really nothing we can do about it. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to the newest game in a series.

If there is actually going to be a Smash 4, let's hope Sakurai takes a flying **** and hands over the reigns to someone else.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
To keep the Melee community going, we'll now have to figure out how to attract new people from Brawl. If we can figure out how to do this correctly, Brawl could be utilized as a sort of gateway game, to get people interested in smash in the first place, then if they want to take the game further in a competitive direction, they get brought into the Melee loop.

Which means somehow being in direct contact with the Brawl community, and not being snide and derisive towards them.

Zodiac

Smash Master
To keep the Melee community going, we'll now have to figure out how to attract new people from Brawl. If we can figure out how to do this correctly, Brawl could be utilized as a sort of gateway game, to get people interested in smash in the first place, then if they want to take the game further in a competitive direction, they get brought into the Melee loop.

Which means somehow being in direct contact with the Brawl community, and not being snide and derisive towards them.
that is a good other option, I still fell there needs to be a seperation from these boards though, not from the community though.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
that is a good other option, I still fell there needs to be a seperation from these boards though, not from the community though.
I don't think we need separation on the board just for the sake of keeping the communities separate, but the site, as a competitive community site, should be dedicated to the game that is the best option for competitive play.

But even then, that doesn't necessarily mean we need to actually divide the two communities. We just need to make it clear what the intent and objective of the site is, and to which game the competitive aspect is centered on. People should be able to talk about Brawl, though, if they want, but just not with a competitive focus by the community.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
well, the 'boards' can just co-exist, not necessarily being ENEMIES of each other, cause that's how you are looking at it, but then again, it isn't necessary and there are other options, as for the sakurai thing, if there is a smash 4, he should still do it, just that someone...preferably me, be in control of him : ), he purposely did brawl the way it is, airgo...

N355

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say one thing. To ensure melee doesn't die, DONT STOP PLAYING MELEE. It doesn't matter if you think melee is going to die and quit it because of that reason, don't quit. It is that mentality that is the problem. If you truly want it to live whoever is playing now can't quit. If we all stay, the numbers of people who still play melee can't decrease, they can only increase with the gain of new players.

N355

Smash Apprentice
I believe most of the Pro-melees anger comes from the fact that most people acknowledge Brawl as an inferior game, yet continue to play it in hopes that their will at some point be a competitive scene. Of course the only way to develop the Brawl scene is through playing it, but why give up on Melee completely? It seems like the "Competitive Brawl" scene is being forced because of Melee's aftershock.

This thread is to try and decipher what we can do to SAVE the Melee community, and if you come into the MELEE forum and start popping off about Brawl and how "I like Brawl better than Melee" what kind of answers are you going to expect? This site is meant to be a COMPETITIVE database for a COMPETITIVE series, and as of right now, Brawl doesn't have that. As Scar said, there is a difference between true Competitiveness, and "competition". I'm competitive with my friends in Mario Tennis for GC, but you don't see major tournaments for that do you?

I agree that flame-wars need to end, fighting isn't going to solve anything and of course you are entitled to whatever opinion you want. What we really need to think about is potentially dividing the forum, because it seems like the two will never co-exist.

In the meantime (something productive), let's save Melee by organizing tournaments, and in time the scene will hopefully reach some happy medium. My last thought is that all those who "quit melee" are limiting themselves, there is infinite room for improvement in that game, and as of now, Brawl seems like it will remain as a boring, snake filled camp fest.

Prove me wrong Brawl boards.

. . . when you say "prove me wrong brawl boards" you aren't helping anything really, just pouring gas on the blazing forest fire. other than that I agree with what you said. More melee tournaments need to be organized, this is a must to keep the melee scene alive. People do whatever you can! rent out a place or something, find ways to organize a tournament, even if it is a free one. These things need to be done

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I think people need to lose the right to post telling people to host more Melee tournaments until they host a Melee tournament/event themselves. No johns either, people.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think people need to lose the right to post telling people to host more Melee tournaments until they host a Melee tournament/event themselves. No johns either, people.
I <3 you, Jack.

Now come to the Melee tourney in GA along with the rest of your Texas homies.

/off-topic.

Smooth Criminal

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im hosting a tournament . Jack, go host a melee tournament.

N355

Smash Apprentice
i get pretty aggravated sometimes. I know there are people that actually like brawl better than melee, and there are others that try to trick themselves into thinking its better. I mean, if someone just took the time to look at all the reasons why melee is better they would probably see what we are talking about, but most people follow the herd and just think since it is a new game it must automatically be better. I will have to admit, going from brawl to melee is a little discouraging. Right now I am as good in melee as I was in Brawl, but compared to everyone else I suck pretty bad, but in brawl I was up there compared to many people I have played online. The skill cap in Brawl is one thing that bothers people, also the physics, also how snake and metaknight always win, also how the game isnt nearly as deep or competitive as melee, and everything else. Pretty much all of my friends fail to see this, and one even stated"I'm just going to come out and say it. I'm sick of melee. Was it a good game? Yes. But SSBM is a game that I've been playing for about five years! I remember around a month before brawl came out, I found myself just getting sick of playing melee in general. Even yesterday, I think the only thrill I had was from nostalgia. And even then I didn't obtain the same thrill I get from playing brawl. Even with all of my hype thrill gone, I still tend to enjoy it more than melee." and "I am a brawler. I go wherever competition goes. I stick with brawl because it's a fun game" if one plays smash for fun, but goes where the competition goes, isnt that a little oximoronic? and it also seems people play brawl because it is something new, and melee is something they have played to death, but if brawl never came out, people would be happily playing melee. I just dont get it. . . but sadly I have nobody to smash with in melee. what do you guys do if you can't find a tourney? play agains cpu all day?

Ojanya

Smash Ace
The second that Pro Melee enthusiasts stop ripping off Brawl's nutsack, the ones on the other side of the fence will do the same. Though a lot of Pro Brawl players (such as myself)
I've never heard of you. Join date March 2008. Pro?

N355

Smash Apprentice
I think you should realize not everyone has the resources, time, knowledge, or transportation to accomplish this.
other than that, I am trying to get something set up.

Awesomasaur

Smash Rookie
People should be able to talk about Brawl, though, if they want, but just not with a competitive focus by the community.
lol

The Melee scene just needs to run stuff and stay alive. Ignore the noobs and the idiots in GD, most Brawl players in the know respect Melee and still like it. Don't fall for the stupidity, and don't act elitist when responding to the Brawl camp. People like different things, don't force anything and show, not tell.

I can't stress this enough, DO NOT BE SMUG PRICKS ABOUT MELEE OR BRAWL'S MERITS. Saying "lulz Melee > Brawl nub" will only fan the flames. See both sides of the coin, and if you don't like the other side, keep it to yourself. The main reason that Brawl cats flip out in GD is because the Melee side come off as elitists and jerks.

Don't talk ****, won't be ****. It's as simple as that.
This topic should have ended with this post, because it's not really going places past this. A little too nerdrage for my tastes, but it gets my thoughts across.

I'm a proponent for both games. It's Smash Bros., man. We shouldn't be going at each other's throats over which game is better or not, we should just relax, get hella stoned, and smash however we like smashing, because Smash Bros. is a ****ing chill series.

Brawl players need to stop being so retardedly defensive... I've done the same as well, being more pro-Brawl than my roommate. I'm seeing Brawlers start arguments just because a Melee player says something as innocuous as "I sure wish there were more Melee tournaments." That's silly, don't be silly.

Meanwhile, Melee players gotta stop hatin' and give a chance for the Brawl competitive scene to develop. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was wavedashing, so let the competitive scene have a chance to stabilize. I understand if you plain just don't find Brawl fun, but don't put down the peeps experimenting with the game, yo. And, as has been previously stated millions of times already, if you're afraid of Melee's competitive scene dying, don't let it die. It can co-exist with Brawl peacefully, just keep on organizing tournaments 'n ****.

Now, bro-grabs all around!

otg

Smash Master
lol

This topic should have ended with this post, because it's not really going places past this. A little too nerdrage for my tastes, but it gets my thoughts across.

I'm a proponent for both games. It's Smash Bros., man. We shouldn't be going at each other's throats over which game is better or not, we should just relax, get hella stoned, and smash however we like smashing, because Smash Bros. is a ****ing chill series.

Brawl players need to stop being so retardedly defensive... I've done the same as well, being more pro-Brawl than my roommate. I'm seeing Brawlers start arguments just because a Melee player says something as innocuous as "I sure wish there were more Melee tournaments." That's silly, don't be silly.

Meanwhile, Melee players gotta stop hatin' and give a chance for the Brawl competitive scene to develop. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was wavedashing, so let the competitive scene have a chance to stabilize. I understand if you plain just don't find Brawl fun, but don't put down the peeps experimenting with the game, yo. And, as has been previously stated millions of times already, if you're afraid of Melee's competitive scene dying, don't let it die. It can co-exist with Brawl peacefully, just keep on organizing tournaments 'n ****.

Now, bro-grabs all around!
There is wisdom in your stoned words.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
how can you even suggest a split..... melee players shouldent worry about melee dying cause we know every pro and semi pro out there knows which game is better but the pros and semi pro knows where the money is at right now (brawl) ..... which wont change for awhile

<--- used to be melee player but now is pursuing the money -.- i'll still **** u in melee though :p

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
it's true, a lot of people are playing brawl simply for the money (east coast people), but they still play melee as well

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I love brawl but.........melee is just so much better.

It's like the difference between ok head from your current girlfriend(brawl) and great head from your ex.(melee)Ok head is still good in a way,but you'll always want the faster more exciting head from your Ex who can do more interesting stuff(see what im getting at here) with your c**k.

Basically melee deepthroats.Brawl uses to much teeth and makes you wear a condom.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I don't think casual Brawlers hate competative Melee players just because they like Melee better, but because some members who have decided to stay with the Melee community act superior because of it.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
i love melee players, but i dont like the game. i like brawl better. of course old smash is my favorite.

L__

Smash Master
*sigh* There's always the casual gamers that want to prove things they don't know much about. Since there are people like that we really need to coexist and stop arguing on which is better; because each of the two have their own pros and cons. This may be biased since Brawl hasn't been out long enough to be as technical as Melee

Brawl
Pros: (That I can see)
Casual Friendly
Slower paced for those who enjoy brought out fights
Great attention for being new
Growing community
Fun

Melee
Pros:
Competitive
Fast paced
Very technical
Widespread community
Seriously fun

Brawl cons:
Wifi is terrible somewhat long distance (although information says that brawl was delayed in the US to fix these problems.)
People don't agree on the speed of the game

Melee cons:
Not exactly noob friendly due to the technicality of the game so far.
New gamers will 'attack' the advanced techs such as Wavedashing; saying it has no point whatsoever.

Zodiac

Smash Master
how can you even suggest a split..... melee players shouldent worry about melee dying cause we know every pro and semi pro out there knows which game is better but the pros and semi pro knows where the money is at right now (brawl) ..... which wont change for awhile

<--- used to be melee player but now is pursuing the money -.- i'll still **** u in melee though :p
It wouldnt be a complete split, but think about it, how well is the melee voice heard here amidst all the noise of brawl? theres needs to place separate where only melee is heard.

L__

Smash Master
It wouldnt be a complete split, but think about it, how well is the melee voice heard here amidst all the noise of brawl? theres needs to place separate where only melee is heard.
I can see how you're thinking. Although the growing numbers of Melee players leaving and moving on to Brawl will make it quite odd if we leave and split with the Brawl community. For now we need to stay with united and see what happens with the two groups to prevent us begging to come back to Brawl due to dwindling numbers.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Umm... I'm confused. We are on the Melee Discussion section of SWF, right? Or am I just losing my mind?

RDK

Smash Hero
Umm... I'm confused. We are on the Melee Discussion section of SWF, right? Or am I just losing my mind?
He's talking about SWF in general.

And "L", stop posting in red font, it makes you look like a f@ggot.

debaser

Smash Lord
*sigh* There's always the casual gamers that want to prove things they don't know much about. Since there are people like that we really need to coexist and stop arguing on which is better; because each of the two have their own pros and cons. This may be biased since Brawl hasn't been out long enough to be as technical as Melee

Brawl
Casual Friendly
Growing community
Fun

Melee
Pros:
Competitive
Fast paced
Very technical
Widespread community
Seriously fun

Brawl cons:
Wifi is terrible somewhat long distance (although information says that brawl was delayed in the US to fix these problems.)

Melee cons:
New gamers will 'attack' the advanced techs such as Wavedashing; saying it has no point whatsoever.
dude good job. this post should be stickied xD

LOL_Master

Smash Lord

Brawl
Casual Friendly
Growing community
Fun

Melee
Pros:
Competitive
Fast paced
Very technical
Widespread community
Seriously fun

Brawl cons:

Melee cons:
hey that's a nice post, lol master gives thumb up

N355

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that is a reason, and if it is then it's not a good reason. I, for one, was attracted to melee so many years ago because of combo videos I found, and 1v1 videos. I yearn for competition, and once I found out smash was a highly competetive game I indulged myself with video after video and began practicing. Now, is wanting to play a new game a good reason, yes. But, don't make silly statements like Brawl has more promise than melee or that I will be missing out on ATs, and tournaments. I could care less, I tracked Brawl ATs for several months before I gave up on the game. There are no game breaking ATs and the skill gap, regardless how much you argue about this, is very small. I mean I see random names playing established players in Finals of tournaments. This may be the noob dream finally getting to play known players, but it also goes to show that anyone can be good at this game. Meaning anyone, not people who practice everyday, not people trying to get better at fundamentals and understand of the game. ANYONE can be good at brawl, its so simple in comparison to the previous smash titles.

With the lack of hit-stun, it doesn't matter how many ATs you find for brawl it will remain non competetive. Unless some amazing AT comes out that allows for hit stuns. In about a year brawl will be forgotten. Quote it and remember it, I'm sure people have said it before but I'll say it again. Brawl will eventually die, soon, and before melee dies. This is just like the counter strike community when source came out. Even with big corporations and leagues backing source, everyone knows 1.6 takes more skill, and at an international level 1.6 is still bigger than source. The same will happen with brawl. Soon people will give up defending it because they themselves finally realize brawl is inferior, and melee will be respected by the players, the real players who matter. Not the random kid who bought brawl on release, found smash boards on a whim, and self proclaimed himself as a smash expert. Which most of you brawlers are. This may be ignorant for me to say, but so far it's working out for me, people who joined smashboards Feb 2008 and beyond don't know what they are talking about. So, I don't listen to them. Feel free to reply, just know if your join date is past feb 2008 I skipped your post.

tl;dr melee>brawl
Saying people don't know what they are talking about just because of their join date is just ignorant. Just because someone hasn't been a member of this site for more than 6 months or so doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. How would you know? Maybe they have been reading smashboards for a while before they joined. Maybe they researched the game and learned a lot about it and played the hell out of it before they joined. Or maybe they had an old account, and they forgot the password, or wanted to change their name. Don't completely ignore people just because of their join date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom