• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawlers hate us-What can we do?-READ FIRST POST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Smash Master
For real, If you've ever tried to intelligently debate over in the general brawl you got flamed hardcore for "hating brawl" I dont like brawl as a competitive game but as a something just to play its fine.

But the problem is, they(most of them) think that everyone that prefers melee hates brawl and wants to see its demise. Does anyone have a problem with that? I do, I do because its going to end up putting a big friggen wall in between melee players and brawlers, and very possibly cause another Soul Calibur 3 incident where the entire competitive community as a whole came to a screeching halt.

Is anyone else worried about the hostility reaching a point where it can literally decide the fate of the entire smash scene?

orintemple

Smash Lord
I play Brawl. I don't hate Melee. I acknowledge Melee as the better game whole-heartedly. It's just that no one I know plays it anymore, and the majortiy of the scene plays Brawl now. I play Smash to play it with others, so I go where the community goes. I am sure that is how most Smashers think.

But I will never call Brawl the better game, cause it just isn't. I get tired of Brawl already if I play for a while, I wasn't tired of Melee even at the release of Brawl. There was just always something new to learn.

battousai555

Smash Ace
I actually do hate Brawl, its just not fun for me to play. Granted, I've never once told someone that they CANT play Brawl and I rarely say anything about Brawl going away. I mainly just want Melee to stay alive :'(
Your location is awesome!

Zodiac: I understand your concern, and feel the same way about Brawl as you do. However, I feel that this is just another passing phase, just like the "scrubs vs. elitist" crap. There was fear that all of that tension would split the boards in two, but did it ever happen? I'm not entirely sure what will happen, but IMO if we keep addressing it that will only draw attention to it and raise tensions even higher.

PS: thanks again for the sig!

Skler

Smash Master
Whenever I talk to the people that play Brawl they say they like Melee more, but they still aren't doing anything for Melee. If you attend Brawl tournaments and don't even tell anyone you'd rather have Melee, you're trying to kill Melee. Even if you say it's the better game you're trying to bury it because you don't do anything.

I think if these people stepped it up Melee would be back in a big way, but instead they follow Brawl like a bunch of sheep. Brawl sheep. Breep.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Whenever I talk to the people that play Brawl they say they like Melee more, but they still aren't doing anything for Melee. If you attend Brawl tournaments and don't even tell anyone you'd rather have Melee, you're trying to kill Melee. Even if you say it's the better game you're trying to bury it because you don't do anything.

I think if these people stepped it up Melee would be back in a big way, but instead they follow Brawl like a bunch of sheep. Brawl sheep. Breep.
True words, So I guess the real question here is, how can we save melee, not that it needs saving, yet. I have a solution!

otg

Smash Master

Agreed, demand Melee at tournaments! I finally got to see Pc Chris vs. Cort finals where they did a Snake ditto. It's like pulling teeth it's so boring to watch. The Brawl community will fail when it loses it's backing by most major tournaments (evo), and hopefully we can continue the underground tournament scene.

I'm going to try and start hosting tournaments in the NYC area strictly for Melee in the near future, so people in the NE it would be awesome to gain your support it. Details to come.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Agreed, demand Melee at tournaments! I finally got to see Pc Chris vs. Cort finals where they did a Snake ditto. It's like pulling teeth it's so boring to watch. The Brawl community will fail when it loses it's backing by most major tournaments (evo), and hopefully we can continue the underground tournament scene.

I'm going to try and start hosting tournaments in the NYC area strictly for Melee in the near future, so people in the NE it would be awesome to gain your support it. Details to come.
Thats exactly what we need otg, we need people to start hosting melee tournaments pronto, Im doing all I can to get smash running in my area, ESPECIALLY if you guys live ina big smash area like New York City, or just about anywhere in Cali. Start hosting melee tournaments!

Remember, dont be a breep(Brawl sheep!)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I have to admit, I hate Brawl but I play it anyway because it's all anyone will play. 90% of people on the Brawl boards are complete idiots. I only have a few friends that still play Melee over Brawl and the only tournaments in my area are mostly Brawl. It's really sad and I hate it but I don't have the time or resources to start my own just Melee tournament. I would give up Brawl entirely if there was more of a Melee scene where I am. Brawl is boring. SOMEONE HOST A MELEE TOURNEY IN CINCINNATI!!

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I play Brawl, but I don't hate Melee. Melee is a good game, but I like Brawl better. I agree with the posters above. If you hate Brawl, don't play it. Go back to Melee and play it until a better Smash Bros. game is released. All your going to be missing out on is tournaments, new ATs, and most importantly, you'll be missing out on one of the most popular game, but that shouldn't matter if you really believe that Melee is 100x better than Brawl. Don't ride the wave like everyone else, stand your ground and you know what, you might actually make a difference.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I play Brawl, but I don't hate Melee. Melee is a good game, but I like Brawl better. I agree with the posters above. If you hate Brawl, don't play it. Go back to Melee and play it until a better Smash Bros. game is released.
There might not be another.

All your going to be missing out on is tournaments
Pretty important. A lot of here people visit these boards with the intention of playing/improving in competitive environment.

most importantly, you'll be missing out on one of the most popular game, but that shouldn't matter if you really believe that Melee is 100x better than Brawl. Don't ride the wave like everyone else, stand your ground and you know what, you might actually make a difference.
I just find it interesting how you're advocating trying to make a difference by acting passively; don't you realize that Melee will die once it gets dropped from the competitive scene?

otg

Smash Master
I play Brawl, but I don't hate Melee. Melee is a good game, but I like Brawl better. I agree with the posters above. If you hate Brawl, don't play it. Go back to Melee and play it until a better Smash Bros. game is released. All your going to be missing out on is tournaments, new ATs, and most importantly, you'll be missing out on one of the most popular game, but that shouldn't matter if you really believe that Melee is 100x better than Brawl. Don't ride the wave like everyone else, stand your ground and you know what, you might actually make a difference.
I was going to rant about all the wrong things you said in this post, but I've decided against it. It's all been said before. Frankly, Brawl is just BORING, and lacks depth. Sure you can say the game is fresh and AT's might develop, but I don't see it and I don't like how people are jumping ship on an already established and limitless fighting game like Melee for a half-*****, watered down sequel. As for these tournaments that I'll be missing out on, have fun fighting 40,000 Snakes and Meta knights!

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Maybe there will be one, I don't know.
I agree with the fact that playing in tournaments is very important for players here, but it's awful to see people acting like they're being forced to play Brawl because it's the newer game. Don't make yourself play the game a you don't want too, go back to the old one, the one you think is more deserving. This is directed at people who are saying they play Brawl only because their friends play it or something a long the lines of that.
I will also acknowledge that Melee's light is becoming dimmer and dimmer, as it is being shadowed by Brawl's population and popularity, but that should not stop the dedicated Melee players from trying to bring back Melee's glory.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
You're right. Melee is the past now, Brawl is the way to go. It is pointless to support a game when it is going to die off in the future. Only time will how long this game will last. Thank you for your open mind.

Lastly, before I head out to the Brawl boards, I would like to say that the majority of Brawlers do not hate Melee.

Zodiac

Smash Master
But it can, and it will.

Blind optimism doesn't get you anywhere.
Im guessing having the word brawl in the melee forums, means 'DEBATE HERE!" or having the world melee in the brawl forums mean "DEBATE HERE!"

No it wont, Ihate blind optimism because well yea obvious reasons, and theres a much better chance of melee breaking off into its own community as big as brawl than you think.

Lastly, before I head out to the Brawl boards, I would like to say that the majority of Brawlers do not hate Melee.
good to hear,

now Lets keep this on topic please guys?

Anyone thats interested in really boosting the melee community PM me right away with whatever ideas you may have.

Again I want to reiterate, lets not mention brawl after this post please.

gantrain05

Smash Master
well i think everything would be fine if you just take them both for different games, i absolutely love them both. the only thing i see is the melee pros are hating on brawl cuz they cut out all their AT's and all the ppl who sucked at melee love brawl because its easier to play well, but in the long run, they are both great games, and while they seem to be competing, they are really just different games and should be taken in a different light. and yes it IS possible to play brawl competetivly and you CAN play melee just for fun. but nobody seems to see that.

Zodiac

Smash Master
New thread

Alright im going to make and official topic about helping melee, since this one is quickly shaping up to be another brawl vs melee debate.

Amide

Smash Lord
Agreed. It still gets to me when people refuse to play Brawl. That fact is, it'll be more commonly played for several years. But do what you want.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
You say "brawl is not as competitive" we hear "You are a n00b who is wasting his time trying to master this shallow n00b game"

You think people would take kindly to that? Nobody wants melee to die but we want brawl to be respected as a competitive game.

Miharu

Smash Hero
You say "brawl is not as competitive" we hear "You are a n00b who is wasting his time trying to master this shallow n00b game"
Go get your eyes and ears checked, seriously.

You think people would take kindly to that? Nobody wants melee to die but we want brawl to be respected as a competitive game.
Those who are pro-Brawl are being overly defensive about a game that is competitively inferior to Melee.

Problem here is, when people say "Melee is a superior competitive game," some choose to respond to it by saying "but I like Brawl better." Nobody gives a ****; why are your trying to present your personal opinion as a valid point? Moreover, the statement "but I like Brawl better" does nothing to disprove/invalidate the argument that Melee's a better game competitively.

It's fine if you want to state your opinion; but without valid argumentation, don't expect it to change any minds.

Also, respect is earned, not given.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord

Brawl is not a competitive game get over it. Its a stock for stock campfest and thats why melee is overtaking it. And if you dont believe me take a trip to the tournament listings.

On Topic: Who cares what someone playing another game thinks? I dont, you shouldnt either. Its not like they can stop you from playing it.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Go get your eyes and ears checked, seriously.
Isn't that what "not competitive" means? To say something is not competitive means its a party game ie a game where anyone can win equally and its all just for fun. So yeah... saying brawl is a party game is going to make people who take it seriously flame you.

Those who are pro-Brawl are being overly defensive about a game that is competitively inferior to Melee.

Problem here is, when people say "Melee is a superior competitive game," some choose to respond to it by saying "but I like Brawl better." Nobody gives a ****; why are your trying to present your personal opinion as a valid point? Moreover, the statement "but I like Brawl better" does nothing to disprove/invalidate the argument that Melee's a better game competitively.

It's fine if you want to state your opinion; but without valid argumentation, don't expect it to change any minds.

Also, respect is earned, not given.
So the brawl community does not present good arguments. I was just saying why they flame people who are pro melee that is all.

Oh and when you people talk about why melee is SO much better than brawl you always use the same reasons too. "Lack of combos" "lack of hitstun" "lack of ATs" (And "Tripping" lol) Just why exactly do combos make a game more competitive? So long as the better person always wins (which always happens) I don't see why a game with lots of combos and hit stun vs a game with none is less competitive. M2K, Azen, and the like always win against a scrub like me then the game has competitive value. So really that idea that the game is "worse" because of this really then just the pro-meleer's opinion. As to the "lack of ATs" we have no good argument except for "wait and see" but that convinces no one as the game has been out for a while. But that really just makes the game less deep, not less competitive. But so long as it is competitive people will still enjoy it and so it can't be called "worse" except as an opinion. Despite what some pro-melee people say it still takes skill to win even without ATs. And of course we can't beat the "Tripping argument... yes it is sad. But tripping is a pretty small thing. So understand a brawler's madness when you say "Brawl=Mario Party 182"

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Agreed. It still gets to me when people refuse to play Brawl. That fact is, it'll be more commonly played for several years. But do what you want.
LOL, definately NOT fact.

I predict a very significant comeback from Melee in a very short time.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess if you're trying to make a point by telling us that Brawl will be played casually by everyone in general more often, then....nobody's really going to care, just sayin'.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Isn't that what "not competitive" means? To say something is not competitive means its a party game ie a game where anyone can win equally and its all just for fun. So yeah... saying brawl is a party game is going to make people who take it seriously flame you.
I really don't give half a **** when ignorant little ****s choose to flame me for something that is more or less a fact.

So the brawl community does not present good arguments. I was just saying why they flame people who are pro melee that is all.

Oh and when you people talk about why melee is SO much better than brawl you always use the same reasons too. "Lack of combos" "lack of hitstun" "lack of ATs" (And "Tripping" lol) Just why exactly do combos make a game more competitive? So long as the better person always wins (which always happens) I don't see why a game with lots of combos and hit stun vs a game with none is less competitive. M2K, Azen, and the like always win against a scrub like me then the game has competitive value. So really that idea that the game is "worse" because of this really then just the pro-meleer's opinion. As to the "lack of ATs" we have no good argument except for "wait and see" but that convinces no one as the game has been out for a while. But that really just makes the game less deep, not less competitive. But so long as it is competitive people will still enjoy it and so it can't be called "worse" except as an opinion. Despite what some pro-melee people say it still takes skill to win even without ATs. And of course we can't beat the "Tripping argument... yes it is sad. But tripping is a pretty small thing. So understand a brawler's madness when you say "Brawl=Mario Party 182"
I honestly don't feel like explaining this again. Go do some research before making blatantly idiotic comments.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Sakurai said that this was actually the kind of game he was aiming for...

anyways, if you try to "flame" us "back" then atleast give us valid points on why you think brawl is gonna be competitive.

I myself always thought that it could be competitive, since everyone is playing the same game, so why not.... it had changed, but that shouldnt matter....

But then I found out tripping and that stuff just ticked me off badlly enough to stop believing in brawl..

Take this example.

My first impression about competitive brawl;

Change shouldn't matter, if you take chess and let both players play with one less horse, it can still be played competively, but will be a whole new game...

then came tripping;

Immagine this, in chess sometimes randomly a chess piece dissapears, can this be played competitvely? NO

(I for some reason trip like 10 times per match T_T)

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
Personally, i think they are equal. Do people still play Mario 64, even though we have Galaxy? Yes. So stop complaining and play YOUR game.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Personally, i think they are equal. Do people still play Mario 64, even though we have Galaxy? Yes. So stop complaining and play YOUR game.
First off, neither are competitive games (or multiplayer for that matter). Secondly, each game is different in terms of story/levels/gameplay; even though the end goal is similar, the path taken is significantly different; both have replay value because they're different. However, the difference in gameplay can be refreshing for a PLATFORMING game like Mario, which isn't even a multiplayer game.

I don't see where you're trying to get by comparing 2 RPG/platformers to 2 fighting/party games.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
What i'm saying is, people are still playing old games, and just because a new one comes out, they don't have to follow the wave and become brawlers. they can become a lake....(sorry about the water humor)

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
The second that Pro Melee enthusiasts stop ripping off Brawl's nutsack, the ones on the other side of the fence will do the same. Though a lot of Pro Brawl players (such as myself) acknowledge any form of flaws in the games, whether it be 64, Melee, or Brawl alike. I personally have more fun with Brawl.

The debates and war's never going to die. And it ****ing sickens me. I'm slowly beginning to hate what the community has become. And if some smartass tells me that I should just leave then, it's not that simple. I love Smash Bros., and I love playing all three games in a competitive light. And I love the friends that I've made here.

I guess asking for the two games to co-exist is a dream a shy inch short of becoming a reality. One of three things will happen. Both games will miraculously triumph and people will learn to stop walking around with sticks up their ***** while looking down upon others. One of them will emerge victoriious and pave the way for competitive Smash Bros. while the other falls into obscurity and those who liked the game are cast into the dark. Or the worst of the three is that we are only going to destroy ourselves and we only have ourselves to blame. I'm sorry, argue it all you want but we are killing this community, not the games themself.

For christ sakes, nobody is safe anymore. Whether you play Melee, Brawl, or BOTH, somebody is out to get you for "chasing the inevitable demise" It's bull**** like this that I don't even want to try and argue for Melee OR Brawl. And yet I'm still being dragged in, somehow, one way or another, by just reading all of this hostility. This isn't the community that I've come to know and love. This is just a monster. And everybody is to blame.

And another thing. The fact that some people continue to wave their Melee or Brawl ***** around wrecklessly (and by that I mean the ones who try to assert their authority in a place where we should be WELCOMING opinions and people into the community, not turning them away just because some people happen to like Brawl more, even competitively). There's nothing wrong with some debate and discussions, I'm all for that! It's the concept of freedom of speech that we all embrace and hold dear. And I wouldn't want it any other way. But I just wish we could find a way to silence those who throw around their "freedom" of belittling. News flash. You're not hot ****. Shut the hell up and stick to debating, not flaming.

**** Melee being better. **** Brawl being put under the knife time after time after time again for being "inferior". I just want to play Super Smash Bros., regardless of what game.

I hate what we've become.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
The second that Pro Melee enthusiasts stop ripping off Brawl's nutsack, the ones on the other side of the fence will do the same. Though a lot of Pro Brawl players (such as myself) acknowledge any form of flaws in the games, whether it be 64, Melee, or Brawl alike. I personally have more fun with Brawl.

The debates and war's never going to die. And it ****ing sickens me. I'm slowly beginning to hate what the community has become. And if some smartass tells me that I should just leave then, it's not that simple. I love Smash Bros., and I love playing all three games in a competitive light. And I love the friends that I've made here.

I guess asking for the two games to co-exist is a dream a shy inch short of becoming a reality. One of three things will happen. Both games will miraculously triumph and people will learn to stop walking around with sticks up their ***** while looking down upon others. One of them will emerge victoriious and pave the way for competitive Smash Bros. while the other falls into obscurity and those who liked the game are cast into the dark. Or the worst of the three is that we are only going to destroy ourselves and we only have ourselves to blame. I'm sorry, argue it all you want but we are killing this community, not the games themself.

For christ sakes, nobody is safe anymore. Whether you play Melee, Brawl, or BOTH, somebody is out to get you for "chasing the inevitable demise" It's bull**** like this that I don't even want to try and argue for Melee OR Brawl. And yet I'm still being dragged in, somehow, one way or another, by just reading all of this hostility. This isn't the community that I've come to know and love. This is just a monster. And everybody is to blame.

And another thing. The fact that some people continue to wave their Melee or Brawl ***** around wrecklessly (and by that I mean the ones who try to assert their authority in a place where we should be WELCOMING opinions and people into the community, not turning them away just because some people happen to like Brawl more, even competitively). There's nothing wrong with some debate and discussions, I'm all for that! It's the concept of freedom of speech that we all embrace and hold dear. And I wouldn't want it any other way. But I just wish we could find a way to silence those who throw around their "freedom" of belittling. News flash. You're not hot ****. Shut the hell up and stick to debating, not flaming.

**** Melee being better. **** Brawl being put under the knife time after time after time again for being "inferior". I just want to play Super Smash Bros., regardless of what game.

I hate what we've become.
a-Freackin-men

Zodiac

Smash Master
****, I start a thread to talk about how to help the community, mention brawl, and all hell breaks out.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I was about to rip the OP a new one for naming this thread with such a biased and f**king STUPID name... until I read Spin-Dash's post. At least something good came from such a worthless premise of a thread.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
****, I start a thread to talk about how to help the community, mention brawl, and all hell breaks out.
I'm sorry if my own post seemed to sound hostile towards anybody in general. In the grand scheme of things, it was frustration on my part. And as much as I hate to say this, mention Brawl in a Melee board and you're bound to have trouble. At least right now. Arguments will happen. Vice versa can be said about mentioning Melee in Brawl. Somebody's bound to blow a gasket and go on a Melee 2.0 rampage or once more, vice versa from a Melee player's perspective. I wouldn't want to do anything more then to help Melee stay alive. And I'm Pro Brawl. O_o

Once more, I look at what I have said. While I personally believe that I speak nothing but the truth about our perdicament, I will apologize for only adding more wood to the fire.

Glick

Smash Lord
I was going to rant about all the wrong things you said in this post, but I've decided against it. It's all been said before. Frankly, Brawl is just BORING, and lacks depth. Sure you can say the game is fresh and AT's might develop, but I don't see it and I don't like how people are jumping ship on an already established and limitless fighting game like Melee for a half-*****, watered down sequel. As for these tournaments that I'll be missing out on, have fun fighting 40,000 Snakes and Meta knights!
Have fun fighting 40,000 Fox's and sheiks!

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom