• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl- 2.X Patch Level 3

NNID
Budget_Player

It's finally here.

The final 2.# series Brawl-.

Brawl- 2.X is FINALLY HERE.

What have we brought to the table?

Plenty of balance changes. Samus is no longer incredibly overpowering. Game and Watch no longer dies to a light wind. Luigi is finally at a point where we can honestly say he's fun to play against. The cast has come a very long way from the matchup defining gimmicks that onced defined the entire game.

The biggest balance change however has to be something we're incredibly proud of, an idea pitched by the legendary Kirk, Bowzangief, who you've all seen from our blogpost. No longer will you simply either beat Bowser or lose to him. Better learn to tech, though.

There are plenty of smaller changes you may not notice at first. Multi-jump characters who were not originally multi-jump characters now have the same fail-safe that the original ones had, where you cannot simply buffer and waste all your jumps. Toon Link has a small trick that allows him to grab while holding his bombs. Peach's NAir now eats shields for breakfast. THUNDER IS RED. Moves make an awesome clanking SFX when they, well, clank. We've taken care to add plenty of small things to this release, in addition to the larger things.

Now, there are obviously changes you will notice immediately. Mario has several fantastic new tools, Bowser has been gone over, and Olimar is just... well Olimar. Ganondorf is also an airplane now.

It's been a lot of work but here it is. This is most likely the final non-patch release for a long while. Will Brawl- be recognizable when it resurfaces? No way to know.

[collapse=Rough Changelist][Collapse=Mario]
fludd is always charged
Fludd now sends at a 180 degree angle and is cancel-able into shield or A attacks. (aka giant magnet gun)
dair is cancelable into footstool or aerials
metal cap timer can no longer be refreshed while metal, you must become normal in order to put it back on. [/collapse]

[collapse=Luigi]
up-b damage reduction 25%>20% on sweet spot, 17% > 10% on sour spot.
run speed decreased
aerial mobility decreased
hold B for stronger fireball removed.
down-b now cancelable earlier[/collapse]

[collapse=Peach]
can grab the ledge backwards during the beginning of Up-b
First jump is higher
second jump is higher
Nair's landing lag reduced from 11> 2
Nair now has considerable shield damage
Nair sends opponent at a low angle now
soft nair sends at an even lower angle
Nair knockback growth slightly increased
up-air given some base knock back so it can kill around 150% as opposed to 170 like last build. still combos well
d-smash has shield damage now
[/collapse]

[collapse=Bowser]
Fully new build.

Attributes.
Air speed raised
Weight raised
Model Size up slightly
Universal 10% super armor removed.
Meteor Cancel frame 25->15

Attacks
Dash attack has full super armor, and sends bowser flying forwards. Great punish, really good against landings, but quite punishable on block.

Dsmash startup sped up considerably
Usmash startup sped up
Fsmash has full super armor during startup and charge. If only partially charged, it has 10% armor until the hitbox comes out; if fully charged, it has super armor and ignores shields. Massive shield damage. Charging has a windbox which pushes the opponent into range

Nair has very fast IASA
Fair damage up, knockback up, range up
Bair knockback and damage consistent with Brawl- canon; has 15% heavy armor for large portions of it
Dair knockback, damage, and landing lag consistent with Brawl- canon; has 20% heavy armor for large portions of it.
Uair has 15% heavy armor for large portions, landing lag reduced heavily.

Grabs have invincibility on startup
By pressing B within the first few frames of a grab, it cancels into a pivot grab (allowing pivot grabs out of shield and other locations where you normally could not)
Dthrow leads into a tech chase
Fthrow damage and power up

Firebreath has super armor on startup after frame 5
Hold the A button down during firebreath to initiate the Running Bear Grab. This move has full super armor until it ends, and walks forward until it hits an opponent or you release the A button. Grabbing the opponent results in an alternate grab state with alternate grabs:
Dthrow, "Discus Toss", is a downwards tech chase slam that does high damage.
Fthrow is the sideB flying slam
Bthrow is a high-power horizontal kill throw
Uthrow is a jumping piledriver with high damage and kill power.

SideB has alternate throws:
- Holding A during the startup of the grounded sideB transforms it into the discus toss
- Holding A during the apex of an aerial sideB transforms it into a diving piledriver that grounds the opponent.

Grounded downB startup can be canceled into aerials or jump
Holding the B button during downB's fall cuts its fall speed in half. If it lands while holding the B button, its landing lag is cut in half as well.
UpB height raised
Specialfall landing lag autocancels[/collapse]

[collapse=Yoshi]
first double jump can not be cancelled into his second double jump until 10 frames have passed ( no more "oh ****, JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP!" off stage and burning both jumps at once)[/collapse]

[collapse=Link]
"finishing blow" added. hold forward plus A+B to do the finishing blow from skyward sword. *only hits grounded opponents*[/collapse]

[collapse=Sheik]
dash attack reverted to 1.6 dash attack[/collapse]

[collapse=Toon Link]
Side taunt is now cancelable into grab for the first 8 frames. Used to circumvent not being able grab while holding a bomb.[/collapse]

[collapse=ROB]
Bair angle nerfed[/collapse]

[collapse=Samus]
zair returned to vbrawl status, no longer infinite combo potential.
missiles no longer auto combo into themselves, send at a downward angle to edge guard.
Ice explosion after strong missile contact removed[/collapse]

[collapse=Olimar]
Olimar 2.X

Over the course of Brawl Minus, Olimar has seen many drafts. Small, buffed Pikmin, solo, and now meet the latest edition:

Lazy.

That's right. Your Pikmin will stay right where you put them. They won't follow you. You can call them back, but they'll all just stand right there.
So, what's the point of this? Well, you essentially have massive stage control. When Olimar command them to throw, smash, or grab, they'll do it from where they're standing, and in some cases, floating. They'll still port back to Olimar's hands for aerials and tethers.
As well, we've given most of them neat effects.

The Yellow's forward and upward smash attacks will Paralyze their targets.
A sourspot downward aerial from a Blue will trip the opponent.
A sweetspot downward aerial from a Purple will impale the opponent into the ground.
White attacks will put a flower on the opponent's head, poisonous through and through.

Fsmash and Usmash also have greatly increased reach.

Olimar has one other trick that serves as a glitch preventer: When he grabs, all but one of his Pikmin disappear. Another known glitch involves his pivot grab: it currently does not work

Solimar (or Nolimar if you prefer that) is still intact, and has a couple tweaks listed below.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Nolimar]reduced invincibilty on side-b
reduced hitbox on side-b[/collapse]

[collapse=Fox]
d-tilt has increased range!
reduced damage on d-tilt
fixed a hit box on fair that killed characters at 50%[/collapse]

[collapse=Falco]
first double jump can not be cancelled into his second double jump until some frames have passed ( no more "oh ****, JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP!" off stage and burning both jumps at once)[/collapse]

[collapse=Wolf]
Meteor Cancel made slightly less stupid (frame 60->25).[/collapse]

[collapse=Squirtle]
d-tilt damage reduced from 17 > 11
d-tilt cool down increased by 2 frames. 12 frames > 14
upair landing lag reduced 14 frames > 10?, 11?[/collapse]

[collapse=Ivysaur]
Ivycopter is now cancelable into air dodge[/collapse]

[collapse=Ness]
Yo-yos are now able to kill[/collapse]

[collapse=Marth]
F-smash is now SDIable[/collapse]

[collapse=Ike]No longer has super hitlaggy counter, instead counter when you have a fully charged Eruption stuns, screams, "You'll have no sympathy from me", and is cancelable into eruption. [/collapse]

[collapse=G&W]
weight increased from 60>75[/collapse]

[collapse=Snake]
cypher spikes characters
side-b + A spawns grenades. hold in front of snake to spawn grenade far away, up to spawn 1 in the air, no where to spawn it a dash attack away, down to spawn one at your feet. If you are holding an item, it teleports the item instead of a fresh grenade.
can move while taunting.[/collapse]

[collapse=Codes]
Jab locks reinstated.
Clank SFX added.
Level freezer code removed (due to glitches), replaced with stage file fixes.[/collapse]

[collapse=Known Bugs]
-If Olimar gets interrupted mid-grab, he goes into a T-pose. We have a fix in place that makes this merely annoying (olimar will roll backwards if this happens), but it's still not ideal.
-Olimar's pivot grab stopped working for some reason. There is a fix in place that alllows him to do it, but once again, it's not ideal.
-Grab releases cause the game to crash on certain USB loader configurations. So far, we have no recorded issues as such when using the most recent version of Configurable USB Loader; as such, we recommend using it.
[/collapse][/collapse]

Download full 2.X plus all patches: http://www.mediafire.com/?5vgemc6km1qb68z

(Only if you downloaded the full package before 3.27)
Download 2.X Patch Levels 1-3: http://www.mediafire.com/?0osw4py3zj7cu81

Patch notes:
– Only edited files included. Full 2.X PL3 upload coming eventually.
– Changes:
–– Kirby Hats tweaked (most notably the mario hat, which did nothing and now acts like Mario's air double fireball should)
–– Olimar Purple damage+knockback nerfed (it was killing marth around 60 with a very fast move; that's very not okay)
–– Olimar yellow stun + damage nerfed (explanation)
–– Yoshi now can DJC by pressing Z before the aerial
–– Yoshi Double Jump buffer fixed; yoshi cannot jump out of an air jump for the first 25 frames unless you press down first
[collapse=Patch Level 3:]Sheik
Tag display fixed.

Pikachu
Shooting Quick Attack into the ground puts Pikachu into a tripped state, where he can immediately roll forward/backward, getup attack, or stand.
Quick Attack cancels into Footstools to compensate.

Yoshi
Hip Drop Aerials out of a Double Jump no longer halt momentum

G&W

side throws send at a much lower fangle
up-throw doesn't send them as far, can combo into aerials

Fox
Respawns properly!!!!!!!

ROB
Respawns properly!!!!!!!
Has movement graphics on crawl.
Put rumble from WalkSlow on Crawl.
Uses Link's AI (in main MotionEtc)

Donkey Kong
Uses Wolf's AI (in main MotionEtc)

Ike
Uses Wario's AI (in main MotionEtc)

Dedede
Uses Marth's AI (in main MotionEtc)

Snake
fTilt angled broken pointer fixed
nAir autocancels 3 frames before last hitbox instead of not at all

Peach
Turnips have separate damages

Wolf
Hitlag 1 -> 1.5 on FAir, UAir, BAir
Hitlag set to 4 on angled FSmash
SDI multiplier set to 5 on angled FSmash

Pikachu
aerial jolt jc delayed 20 frames
grounded jolt "ground" cancel removed
BAir momentum -2 -> -1.8
USmash damage 18 -> 16

Lucario
DTilt momentum moved to coincide with hitbox

Ness

SDI on PK Fire hitboxes
0 -> 0.5
0.5 -> 1

Bowser
Opponents follow Bowser's hand during Klaw moves.

Fox/Falco
Removed Gun GFX

Luigi
Up+B Sourspot 10% > 12%

Kirby
DK Hat - Added Same Momentum DK has

Yoshi
DJC Zair refined (Yoshi only has a 3-frame window to cancel it.)[/collapse]

PL2 changes: new entry animations, actually including the right damn files.

Special thanks to Thunda-Moo, Supreme Dirt, MASTERLINKX, Glitch, Kirk (obv), Xyless, and Ripple for providing most of the support, coding, and QA in the period leading up to the release, and ASF1nk for providing the sexy strap loader.

Have fun!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
also,

[collapse=Toon Link]
SOMETHING is now cancelable into grab for the first 8 frames. used to circumvent not being able grab while having a bomb[/collapse]

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
;_; They gave Ike a parry into a super. FUUUUU.

I do like that it doesn't have that stupid hitlag thing, though.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Monk, I was not aware you were the mod of this section.

afaik this has been done for EVERY SINGLE VERSION and never been a problem, I don't see why it would be now.

lil T

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played Brawl Minus since 2.0 but i(and some friends) has been looking forward to this release.
I'm sure i'll have some interesting videos up tomorrow of this lol.

Yikarur

Smash Master
if you press jump twice in mid air with Yoshi you still use both jumps accidently because the cooldown is not large enough for the buffering window to pass.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I really do want to play this but all versions of brawl are making me angry at the moment because of Non-CRT TV. Melee is tolerable with the lag because it's only like 5 frames and shields are more responsive in it, but punishing and shielding in any version of Brawl is just terrible since everything has copious amounts of start up and like no endlag.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
if you press jump twice in mid air with Yoshi you still use both jumps accidently because the cooldown is not large enough for the buffering window to pass.
jhsagjkhglkjhkjhdjlkXZkcvznk.vnkjhalkdklhsdklfhslkahdfkahsdkfghagh

Just... a;jkshgkljahdfkjghaklxjhglkahfjdglkafglk

There'll be a patch build shortly to address that and a lot of other **** gah.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I legitimately think the only buffers in the game should be during Jumpsquat, during hitstun, and during crouch. It would solve a lot of the issues with the buffer and still make its benefits useful.

NNID
Budget_Player
A Japanese ver is coming yet?

:phone:
I thought that Glitch was making a Japanese version of the codeset... Not 100% sure on this. As far as characters go, I thought the NTSCU .pac files worked just fine for NTSCJ as well?

I don't see any character specific changes for Ganny, is it merely an edited animation for his aerial Flame Choke?
Or have you replaced his model with an airplane?
Supposedly it's one of MasterLinkX's victory animations.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
This is a pretty dry changelist for such a significant bump imo... Feels like "Brawl- 1.65".

Bowser's cute tho.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Don't play this ver!

There will be a patch build SOON!

Not only were there the jump glitches mentioned by other people, but there were also some pretty major file mix-ups.

That means you're playing something like Brawl- 1.96212.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't think there has been a successful release of Brawl Minus without a mix up in files and having to have a patch done within the same week, lol.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
There will be a patch build SOON!

Not only were there the jump glitches mentioned by other people, but there were also some pretty major file mix-ups.

That means you're playing something like Brawl- 1.96212.
Actually, turns out we overreacted. It was like... 3 things. This is probably perfectly fine to play, aside from the multi-jump thing and a couple of really small other things that are pretty much non-issues.

So yeah, this is a LOT more minor than with Samus last version.

Also, as to the airplane thing, I wrote that OP :)

It's indeeed a victory animation

NNID
Budget_Player
I don't think there has been a successful release of Brawl Minus without a mix up in files and having to have a patch done within the same week, lol.
You're pretty much right, but **** off anyways. :glare:

Let's release by march 1st they said
And you can really **** off. I explained why I set dates in the dev chat several times, and I'll explain it here tomorrow at some point as well, along with my explanation for the next line.

If anyone feels both qualified and motivated to take over as lead developer of Brawl-, please let me know. I'm looking for my replacement, because I no longer feel qualified to do my job. Motivated, definitely – I love this game, and want to see it succeed. But that's why I'm looking for a replacement: the team will be better off with someone competent at the helm.

bleyva

Smash Ace
To whomever made these victory screen animations.....bravo, good sir, bravo.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
*sigh* BPC you don't need to step down really.

Though this is stuff that should be saved for the dev chat, NOT HERE.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I noticed a few things so far that weren't on the change list. One was mario's fireballs changed (they fire two at once and can't be spammed anymore, so it's a good change). The other was Peach's downtilt shenanigans are back and better than ever, which I LOVE. Lastly, I'm not sure if this is a glitch or intended, but if you start to do forward smash and then hit B with Link, you do a jumping forward arrow attack instead of the finisher move. Not sure how useful it is, but it's actually kinda cool.

The new Peach, Olimar, Bowser, and Mario are my four favorite characters right now (in that order probably)... Amazing job!

Also, my housemate and I laughed after every match because of the new victory animations. They're so good :D

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
With link, you can actually cancel the finishing blow animation during the initial like 3frames because it uses a grounded wall jump and it has cancel frames, however its unbufferable so don't think about getting it consistantly.

And with mario, you're right. I forgot about that change.

Also, sorry everyone but kirby does not work as inteded with his hats on so we are getting on that soon. We thought we tested that but apparently not. :/

:phone:

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Are you able to remove the victory screen animations simply by deleting all the motionetc.pac's in the character folders? Always good to know if it's something I'm stuck with or an optional addition that isn't built into the character's regular pac's.

Top Bottom