• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehic

Smash Cadet
So i clicked the download link on the op. Then downloaded the first file on the web page. then I unzipped it on to an empty 2GB SD card that I checked works with my wii. Then i cleared all my custom stages and reset my wii with the SD card in it. I went to stage builder in the vault. And there was no stages to load or a prompt to start BBrawl. I even selected to read SD card and still there was nothing. I plugged the SD card back into the computer and the files were still there in the places that you mentioned in the OP. I have a US non hacked Wii. Any Ideas on where I messed up?

Edit:
I figured it out. All the files were under a "Balanced Brawl" folder instead of being the root. Thanks For all your hard work I'm excited to see what all this is about.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo

This thread has Luigi's data on Jab cancel. To give you an idea how much of an advantage Mario gets from Jab canceling, just subtract 1 from everyone when referring to Mario's Jab1. Don't change any numbers if you only land Jab2. Add 2 to the advantages for landing both Jab1 AND 2. Yeah, I'm taking the lazy way out since I have no real way of testing this, but what is already confirmed is that Mario has a 4 frame advantage on Jab1 on Mario, and a 5 frame advantage on Jab2, and 7 frames from Jab1+2.

It could be argued there is a bit of situational discrepancies due to the fact Mario has to hit directly with his fist for best results, but the general idea I'm trying to make clear is that Mario has a good Jab cancel game, and now he has some of the best options he can link directly from it.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i played BBrawl yesterday
- Lucas' PK Freeze is amazing, still hard to hit with, but very rewarding. It is also good on stage, i killed a ZSS with only one hit at 0%, just PKFr then edgehog.
- dtilt to jab IS NOT A TRUE COMBO. I tested it several times, the opponent can just hold his shield, and it will always end in a powershield. It may work if the opponent is trying to attack with a 3 frame or slower attack
- 1 jab to dtitl IS A TRUE COMBO, but it has to be frame perfect that is pointless
- PK Fire and jab combo are more powerful, i liked that, but fsmash seemed weaker, is that right?
- And the reason i won't play BBrawl: Dair to dtilt lock is gone, there's no way you can setup a smash after that, the best options after the dair are jab combo, ftilt or tech chase, none of them will kill at 80%, and Lucas' tech chase options are bad (i'm talking about running grab, running usmash and dash attack).

A for other characters
- I don't know what you did to MK, but it looks like all his priority is gone :( dsmash and upB are weak :( they can escape too easy from Tornado. I miss the look of my opponent's face when i chose MK (scared face)
- DDD can't chaingrab, but the tech chase is REALLY funny! poor all those characters with bad rolls :p
- Luigi is top tier, really, those fireballs are annoying as hell, too many pressure, the enemy loses his mind trying to think how to approach or defend. He would be my main

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo

This thread has Luigi's data on Jab cancel. To give you an idea how much of an advantage Mario gets from Jab canceling, just subtract 1 from everyone when referring to Mario's Jab1. Don't change any numbers if you only land Jab2. Add 2 to the advantages for landing both Jab1 AND 2. Yeah, I'm taking the lazy way out since I have no real way of testing this, but what is already confirmed is that Mario has a 4 frame advantage on Jab1 on Mario, and a 5 frame advantage on Jab2, and 7 frames from Jab1+2.

It could be argued there is a bit of situational discrepancies due to the fact Mario has to hit directly with his fist for best results, but the general idea I'm trying to make clear is that Mario has a good Jab cancel game, and now he has some of the best options he can link directly from it.
This is correct. Note however that Mario has a -2 adv if his opponent performs an action in the air, meaning that his jab game can be avoided just by jumping out of it most of the time, and against characters with fast aerials (peach) he can be hit out of any jab 2 mixups. Some heavier/faster falling characters may be stuck... but the adv on them should be less so jab2 -> dsmash shouldn't be guaranteed. It would provide a nice mixup opportunity though!

JOE!

Smash Hero
er...MK still has transcended priority on his attacks. His "problem" moves that made him stupid good (aka tornado for easy Damage racking on a damage racking charcter, and Dsmash killed stpuid early for a move of it's range and speed. Same deal with Shuttle Loop, it made you invulnerable, came out stupid fast, led to the glide attack, let you recover thru an edgehog, and on top of all that.....it KILLED)

now he isnt so :urg:

Motte1337

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have a problem and require your help :) But first of all: I really really like your project :)

So I tried to play BBrawl today.
I have to use homebrew channel because I have PAL. So first I installed the homebrew channel using Bannerbomb and then I started GeckoOS 1.9.2 and then: Error! something like "Exception (DSI) occurred!" and a lot of stuff I didn't understand ( I can give you a picture if you need one to analyze this).
So I started all over again, deleting the homebrew channel, downloading everything new and installed it again. And then again I launched BBrawl via GeckoOS 1.9.2 and it worked (yeah im 100% sure that it was BBrawl, I tried some Ike and Ganon ;) ). But then I restarted and I had this "Exception (DSI) occured!" Error again :(

Can anybody help me? I would really like to play some BBrawl with my friends :(

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
the link to the dl isnt working i go there and it says the file doesnt exist.
could somebody at least e mail me the files
please and thank you

BSP

Smash Legend
the link to the dl isnt working i go there and it says the file doesnt exist.
could somebody at least e mail me the files
please and thank you
go to the little searrch box(top right) and put a 'b' in it, wait a few seconds, then all the stuff u need comes up

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
er...MK still has transcended priority on his attacks. His "problem" moves that made him stupid good (aka tornado for easy Damage racking on a damage racking charcter, and Dsmash killed stpuid early for a move of it's range and speed. Same deal with Shuttle Loop, it made you invulnerable, came out stupid fast, led to the glide attack, let you recover thru an edgehog, and on top of all that.....it KILLED)

now he isnt so :urg:
Gimps? Man, I swear there is more than one way to play a character. MK is still good, just not ridiculous.

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
Whoever isn't you, PSI Ence :p

The one that thinks Dash Grab is a viable Lucas move, lawl.
He said that his tech chase options were bad, and then listed the dash grab as a tech chase option. You're probably misunderstanding.

I also miss the footstool and lock "combos." If it were up to me, I would reinstall them for sure. I know they unbalance walk offs, but still. I'd rather have those than more stages tbh.

[Directed at APC] However, MK hasn't lost any priority, and I'm not sure I buy that Luigi is top tier. In my personal experience, Peach fits your description of Luigi better.

Mit

Smash Ace
If you think MK isn't good in BBrawl you were never good with Meta Knight to begin with and probably aren't even a part of high-level play.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
If you think MK isn't good in BBrawl you were never good with Meta Knight to begin with and probably aren't even a part of high-level play.
that's what I said... well, that I'm saying since I wasn't here earlier to hear their ridiculous argument

Question!

1)can you still play balanced brawl even if you want to hack texture and stages? i want to and since im new to hacking i want to know how exactly you transfer the hack codes to your SD card in order to play them on the wii. for ex: my RSBE folder has the fighters folder and there are some alternate costumes for some characters, but when i play they dont show? its somewthing like fitmario00., right? but i want to know how to activate it to play as them in brawl. thanks.

ok what if it didnt work? also i have fit.falco.pcs do i have to change it to .pac? i had brawl plus but i changed to balanced brawl, so this whole thing is very comfusing.

dansal

Smash Apprentice
Are there any plans to fix the bug on MK's tornado so that 10+ damage aerials will break it? It already does this with ground moves. I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up in previous BBrawl threads.

TP

Smash Master
Are there any plans to fix the bug on MK's tornado so that 10+ damage aerials will break it? It already does this with ground moves. I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up in previous BBrawl threads.
It's not a bug. Priority rules are different with air attacks than they are with ground attacks. Besides, tornado is not nearly as big a deal as it was in regular Brawl. There is no need.

I just played BBrawl with Thinkaman for a good 4 hours straight, covering every character and stage (except Wolf, but who cares about Wolf?). A few general thoughts:

1) Footstooling on Big Blue is deadly.

2) MK is countered by Jiggs, no question. All MK can do is hope to stay above Jiggs and spam Dair, but Jiggs has no problem getting above MK or at least level with him.

3) Solo Sheik, solo Zelda, and Zelda/Sheik are all the best choice in at least 1 matchup apiece. Ganon does much better against Sheik now, but he still has it rough.

4) Mario seems to be really good, as has been mentioned. However, I have yet to try the Mario/G&W or Mario/MK or Mario/Marth matchup. Any and all of them could still hold Mario back. Otherwise, he is solid enough to be a contender for high tier, if not top.

5) A lot of people were concerned about the Ganon/Samus matchup, saying Samus' buffs push the already 30/70 or 20/80 matchup even farther away from even. I disagree. Thinkaman and I discussed Samus' buffs, and they really don't come into play much in this particular matchup. Watch out for Samus' Dtilt and you're OK. However, the matchup is still in Samus' favor, and I won't say it isn't potentially a real counter. Too early to tell for sure.

6) Thinkaman sucks with ROB. ;)

:034:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
10+ damage aerials do "break" it... if they can actually reach Meta Knight. The reason it's so hard is that you plow through a bunch of hitboxes and then more keep getting made, at least one of which is likely to appear on top of your own hurtboxes and hit you, interrupting your aerial.

i played BBrawl yesterday
- Lucas' PK Freeze is amazing, still hard to hit with, but very rewarding. It is also good on stage, i killed a ZSS with only one hit at 0%, just PKFr then edgehog.
- dtilt to jab IS NOT A TRUE COMBO. I tested it several times, the opponent can just hold his shield, and it will always end in a powershield. It may work if the opponent is trying to attack with a 3 frame or slower attack
- 1 jab to dtitl IS A TRUE COMBO, but it has to be frame perfect that is pointless
- PK Fire and jab combo are more powerful, i liked that, but fsmash seemed weaker, is that right?
- And the reason i won't play BBrawl: Dair to dtilt lock is gone, there's no way you can setup a smash after that, the best options after the dair are jab combo, ftilt or tech chase, none of them will kill at 80%, and Lucas' tech chase options are bad (i'm talking about running grab, running usmash and dash attack).

A for other characters
- I don't know what you did to MK, but it looks like all his priority is gone :( dsmash and upB are weak :( they can escape too easy from Tornado. I miss the look of my opponent's face when i chose MK (scared face)
- DDD can't chaingrab, but the tech chase is REALLY funny! poor all those characters with bad rolls :p
- Luigi is top tier, really, those fireballs are annoying as hell, too many pressure, the enemy loses his mind trying to think how to approach or defend. He would be my main
Dtilt lock on Lucas was going to be gone as a part of the general removal of jab locks... which really had to go (dtilt on Lucas is like laser on Falco or Ice Blocks on Ice Climbers; it can "jab lock"). They had to go because they abuse wall stages and walk-offs, and they are generally incredibly lame gameplay (those types of locks being removed was one of our main goals). As a whole, Lucas is definitely WAY better in Balanced Brawl than in standard Brawl; he has traded his dtilt lock for a number of buffs that help him way more (including a dtilt that is much better than his old one for all purposes except locking... important because that was really all his old dtilt was good for). A notable one that makes playing Lucas far less trying is the fact that Lucas no longer has to tremble in fear at the prospect of Marth; he now has a ground break that is workable.

Lucas's fsmash is 100% unchanged, as an aside.

Dtilt to jab isn't a true combo, but it's a good follow-up. Usually in standard Brawl, when you interrupted an attack with Lucas's horrible down tilt, the opponent would hit you because that dtilt had substantial frame disadvantage on hit (unless it was "jab locking"). Whatever inputs they were trying to use to attack would probably turn into a jab that would hit Lucas or something, and you could easily get caught in a jab combo that does more damage than the dtilt. Now, they can powershield it barely, but pretty much any other response (well, ignoring things like Dolphin Slash) is going to get hit by jab combo which generally is pretty good for Lucas.

If you're looking for follow-ups for dair, I might first call you greedy since it does so much damage, but then secondly I'd suggest that running grab really isn't that bad (grabs are pretty rewarding with Lucas's amazing pummel), and most actions that would avoid a running grab probably fall victim to not chasing and instead using Pk Fire.

Meta Knight isn't that different; you can see his change list is pretty short. His "priority" should be 100% identical to how it was in standard Brawl actually; the main thing is that some of those moves aren't hitting as hard.

Luigi is definitely good, but so far most testers come to see he's not quite as good as he initially seems. Spamming Fireballs is so amazing until you realize that other than the firing rate everything about that projectile sucks (low range, all around pretty sucky on hit, energy projectile); they are more of a poke than a spammable weapon in most matchups in the long run (though the surprise factor can give you some spammy fun at first). I can't say him being top tier would terribly surprise me, but I definitely don't think he's a shoe-in.

Seeing people looking at Lucas is always good though; we had the problem in testing that everyone just ignored Lucas because apparently he isn't a very cool character. We probably erred a bit on the side of helping Lucas too much; we've both already said we think people are really sleeping on Lucas and that he's quite good right now.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I just played BBrawl with Thinkaman for a good 4 hours straight, covering every character and stage (except Wolf, but who cares about Wolf?).
Hey, I played as Wolf once or twice today!

2) MK is countered by Jiggs, no question. All MK can do is hope to stay above Jiggs and spam Dair, but Jiggs has no problem getting above MK or at least level with him.
Jiggs still has to rely on Pound a lot though, which definitely keeps the matchup being being that good for Jiggs.

3) Solo Sheik, solo Zelda, and Zelda/Sheik are all the best choice in at least 1 matchup apiece. Ganon does much better against Sheik now, but he still has it rough.
Solo Sheik is better against Ganondorf, Solo Zelda is best against DDD. In all other matchups I have played, I suspect a combination is the best strategy.

5) A lot of people were concerned about the Ganon/Samus matchup, saying Samus' buffs push the already 30/70 or 20/80 matchup even farther away from even. I disagree. Thinkaman and I discussed Samus' buffs, and they really don't come into play much in this particular matchup. Watch out for Samus' Dtilt and you're OK. However, the matchup is still in Samus' favor, and I won't say it isn't potentially a real counter. Too early to tell for sure.
I suspect it might be Ganon's worst matchup, but am not that sure. I am interested in how well other players are doing with Samus in various matchups.

6) Thinkaman sucks with ROB. ;)
You mean Wario. I won at least some of my ROB matches.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I suggest that you start looking into the Snake v. Ganon matchup as well. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing that a Ganondorf can do against a Snake that tiltcamps well.

TP

Smash Master
Strike FD and SV. It SUCKS to leave Battlefield open, but without RCO the platforms can really give you enough options to get around his camping.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
To be quite honest with you, a good Snake will make BF even scarier than FD can be. Mines, nades on platfroms, C4 platforms of death...

Yeah, BF doesn't really help all that much. And I don't really see how one can use platforms to get around his tilt camping unless you mean getting him up onto one.

TP

Smash Master
I know that Snake is a beast on BF, but I still think it is the best place to be. I could be wrong, though. I haven't actually played this matchup yet in BBrawl, and nobody in STL is really any good with Snake. I'll leave it you or Swoops to test the matchup.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
What, why didn't you say something; my Snake isn't great, but it's certainly better than some of the characters like Wolf or Wario I was playing with today.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'd rather fight Snake as Ganon on Battlefield than Yoshi's. Plus, only a fool would let Snake take them to Lylat as a neutral. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom