• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You can't blame the target public for being ignorant.
People judge directly what they see, regardless it was implemented through a large research/internal testings.
They see a DK picking up barrells un B- and a Jigglypuff getting random items on BBrawl, what they'd think out of that, being that all her other buffs are almost unnoticeable?

Anybody that purchases a Pepsi is because they think it's tasty, but they don't get into reading the nutritional info.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I lied, I had to backup some documents before I returned to computer fixing.

It doesn't matter how "surgical" or "calculated" a change is. Guess what, adding HAD to fox in B- was "calculated," time-consuming, etc. Guess what, it's still incredibly foreign (fine in a game like B-), and also *will* rewrite a move's functionality, possibly redefining its role . Guess what, it works great! However, thats B-, a game thriving on the concept of foreign. This is Bbrawl, a game meant to stay true to brawl where one can transfer seamlessy. If something is jarring, guess what, you didn't achieve that concept.
I don't have a clue what your point is here to be frank.

I'm sure inventing some crazy splash-of-Melee new airdodge for Fox was "calculated" and tweaked to fulfill some specific purpose for the Brawl- audience, but it definitely wasn't finely tuned matchup balance. I don't see how it's relevant?

If you are suggesting that we make the smallest changes possible to fulfill our goals... Um... "check"?

Now tell me, how is peaches bomber cancel, fox/falco's illusion cancels, ike side B no freefall, jiggs sideB mystery gift (which is as wtf as it gets) are non-intrusive, or less intrusive than say shrinking snake's utilt by 1 unit.
I don't see how you are comparing changes that single-handedly rewrite entire matchups to a 1 unit range change on 1 hitbox of 1 character. I imagine that's your point, but then it's a pretty bad point.

Ike has a fundamental problem against projectiles. Are you asking if I would rather make one surgical change like Ike side-b no special fall, or 50 one unit changes to his hitboxes and physics so that his entire moveset is redefined to no longer be flawed against projectiles? Of course we'll go with the surgery, I don't see how you can say it's more invasive than the drastic and prevalent changes that would be required otherwise.

Analogy Time:

Your doctor finds a problem in your colon, let's say it can't process certain types of sugar due to a growth. To survive, you are going to hold to a very strict diet of specially processed foods--nothing from normal restaurants or prepared without supervision. You can't eat entire categories of food like fruit, and must take a half dozen daily supplements to get the vitamins you would normally need from them. You have bowel movements twice as often due to damage already done to your colon, and will also have to take a shot twice a day to prevent further decay. On top of all this, it's a steady annoying pain.

However, you could have surgery to have the growth removed and be completely normal.

You tell me which option is "more invasive" and would require a bigger change to correct the problem?

These changes, no matter how you define them, "jarring" or "gimmicks" still conflict with your non-intrusive mantra. Individuals feedback from even your fans might be somewhat concerning and not so quickly dismissed.
Again, I'm kinda confused at what you're saying. "Non-intrusive" doesn't make sense except in the usage of "minimally-intrusive", which is exactly what we are doing. We are making the smallest amount of change possible to constrict the tier positions.

As for feedback, I think everyone knows we're really big on feedback. Even when AA or I stomp around and argue with people, they are never being dismissed. (That's just our job, folks! ;))

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I came in here and saw the words "sufficiently discontented". I would remind people, again, that we made this project because we like Brawl, not because we dislike Brawl. If we approached the project saying "Brawl sucks, Sakurai is stupid, and man wasn't Melee great!!!" it would be doomed to suck itself; we only succeeded in our actual unstated (though hopefully obvious) primary goal of putting out a good game by respecting the original game's quality design and implementing thoughtful improvements where appropriate. That being said, our target audience are also people who actually like Brawl, and our mission is to convince them to allow a good thing to become even better.

Also, Jigglypuff's Mystery Gift is more intrusive than a Snake utilt range reduction for the first hour of play. Snake's utilt range reduction is more intrusive after you are seasoned at both games. We think long-term. I might also question the balance virtue in nerfing the range on Snake's tilts or his weight or anything like that; I see it as contrary to balance both in the unclear matchup benefit on the category:

"*Role Uniqueness- Do any other moves have the same role? "

The fact that a group of players find the move obnoxious does not, in any way, suggest it is imbalanced. Making it less obnoxious destroys its job and most "suggestions" for Snake involve destroying what makes him unique.

Otherwise though, Thinkaman covered a lot of ground. I just really have to drive home that very important point. Brawl is a good game. We made Balanced Brawl informed by the fact that it's a good game. Our audience are primarily Brawl fans, not people who hate the game and play it anyway (a bizarre and fundamentally unsatisfiable group, not to mention a dramatic minority among the community).

Mit

Smash Ace
Some examples brought up so far seem poor. Snake doesn't need hitbox changes or weight reductions. What has been done to him is quite sufficient. Even Ike's side-b is pretty nonintrusive. It's easily explained and doesn't change much about his playstyle. "Ike doesn't freefall after side-B so he can up-B too." It boosts his recovery, and really, that's about it. Using it onstage might seem like it has some potential, but it's still very punishable and telegraphed. However, it boosted his recovery and succeeded in giving him a fairly significant buff.

Same for say, Link being able to z-air after up-B. It boosts his recovery, doesn't affect much else, and is still able to be edgeguarded against.

However, it's some of these more extravagant changes that are like reinventing moves, or straight up introducing new ones, that are a bit more jarring and seem to be upsetting to people.

Like mystery gift. "Jigglypuff can now pull from a set of random items using side taunt." "O_O" That could change tons of things. It also creates this giant metagame that needs to be developed for her that involves discovering combos and whatnot that can be done from the different items, or how to combo into throwing certain powerful items for kills. That, and those smoke balls are sure to annoy any vBrawl player who wasn't a big fan of the move in the first place. I mean, something else couldn't be thought of to help her out without introducing something so huge?

Then there's other stuff like the cancel. Spacy side-B cancels and Peach Bomber cancels. They don't seem like such huge deals, but are there any other similar cancels in Brawl? Brawl seems to be devoid of cancels. Sounds like a Melee thing. When you start telling vBrawl players that these characters can cancel ending lag of moves with other moves, that's another strike in their book. "Why is that necessary?" "You can't cancel stuff in Brawl O_o" It makes the whole thing feel a lot more like it's indeed a hack and not a balance patch. Especially when you do stuff like spacey side-b -> double jump -> side-B. Were those moves so bad that that was really necessary? Or was it implemented to make the game more attractive?

Which brings me to my next point. Didn't you guys say these bonuses were being implemented to make the game more attractive to the casual viewer? [incoming argument you've heard a hundred times] These changes don't seem drastic enough to attract anyone who's playing Brawl+, Brawl-, or Project M, but they are seemingly drastic enough to turn off vBrawl players who fear that playing a lot of BBrawl will mess up their vBrawl game, which it isn't supposed to. It kind of makes it impossible to tell them it's just like vBrawl but more balanced when they see a character randomly spawning items or canceling moves.

And man, I can't whine about that Nayru's Love enough @_@ That just screams HACK to me.

I think the main reason it disappoints me, is I thought you guys were doing fine with the first release. There were no crazy flashy or significant changes, and balance was significantly better overall. There were more minor changes that could be made throughout to make it even better (such as nerfing some previous overbuffs, and perhaps a few more little nerfs to some of the top characters). Some matchups were still a bit tough, but hey, isn't that what secondaries are for? Not every matchup can be 50:50, and no character had a dominant amount of poor matchups overall. Were the flashy changes really necessary?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Do note that things have been polished quite a bit in the past several internals. The early test builds versus what we are releasing... pretty big difference in quality. I know the current Nayru's Love has less of a movement ability versus some earlier versions; I don't know which version you have been using, but the final version definitely feels pretty natural (the way it's more powerful forward than backward helps!).

I explained the general point in detail several times. We have more than one motivation for doing most of the stuff we do which makes arguing about it annoying since if you have three reasons for doing something and explain all three, most people pick the reason they dislike the most and completely ignore the other two in forming their argument which is... really obnoxious. Making it more attractive to people is a reason. Improving balance is also a reason. Every single change is designed with both of these in mind.

The main thing is this statement you made comparing the previous release to what we're cooking up this time:

balance was significantly better overall.
I don't think this is a true statement. Wolf in standard Brawl and Bbrawl v1 is a flat out bad character who "feels" good so people get confused about where he actually stands (he's not a bit better than Sonic in standard Brawl, probably worse because of abuses but even without them he's about on the same level). He needed substantial help lest he be mediocre forever. We had characters like Ganondorf who still had massive problems against the best zoners, and they would quickly become broken against guys who were not zoners if they got more power buffs. It's true not every matchup can be 50:50, but matchups that are not practically winnable or characters with overall matchup spreads that make them unreasonable choices for an intelligent player are below the standards of this project. Even in your character's single worst matchup, you shouldn't have to think about secondaries. Your character should be able to do fine even if you are at a disadvantage. Your character should also not be an inverse-Meta Knight where you can win every matchup but almost every last one of them is uphill; your pal Captain Falcon was like that in the first release even with the really overdone Falcon Dive and no conservative buffs left to give. It's a big step above where he used to be, but it still makes him a pretty crummy character. We just weren't okay with that, and I think if you really dig into the stuff done since in its final form, you can see the overall balance situation is improved.

Also, Mit, I'm going to be candid here. The last release was a massive failure in terms of mattering. Seriously, how many people played it? This thread has been around for most of a year, is the only Bbrawl thread worth anything, and it's only at 358 pages most of which are the same handful of people carrying on the same discussions and arguments over and over again. This project is a waste of time if that level of success continues. We are working hard to make sure things turn around.

As per messing up people's standard Brawl game, well, again let's be honest. We're ultimately challenging the standard. At some point, our success means people stopping playing standard Brawl and starting to play Balanced Brawl. If this proves ultimately impossible, this project is, again, a waste of time. It was a lot of work so I don't want that to be true, but being at best a side event at a few tournaments when we remember no one takes side events seriously and side events are randomly canceled about 90% of the time is a joke and honestly worse than nothing so I don't know why people advocate it. The transition should be, and honestly is, pretty smooth, but we can't honestly claim with any substantial changes that any game would require absolutely zero transition. I mean, if characters who used to be bad are no longer bad, that alone is a big change... and also the whole point of the project.

I grow very weary of treading the same ground over and over again. At the end of the day, I know everything we've done is in line with our original goals, and I know we are producing a quality product. No amount of saying the same stuff over and over again from anyone changes that. I have real confidence in our direction, and I have real confidence that our release is going to have an impact. I hope skeptics can come to see things working out in the long run, but the long run may very well be the only way some of you will be convinced. So be it; I expect my next post to be the release... which depends on random stuff to stop hampering Thinkaman (seriously, my life must be boring compared to his; more stuff happens to him in a week than to me in a month).

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think the point shanus is trying to make is that even though the change itself may not be a big deal, it still looks very strange and unnatural for Brawl. While I think he was stretching a bit to include Ike's side b in his list (imo it feels like it should have always been that way just like his new Nair) he has a point with the others. Changes like that are probably best left for Ganon and other previous bottom tiers. I don't think anyone minds those kinds of changes for them since bottom tiers are expected to get the pretty big changes.

One minor thing I think was overlooked was kirby's bullet seed can be sdi'd. I personally dislike ivy's bullet seed (first hit) being impossible to sdi out of, but that's another topic for another day.

shanus

Smash Hero
Also, Jigglypuff's Mystery Gift is more intrusive than a Snake utilt range reduction for the first hour of play. Snake's utilt range reduction is more intrusive after you are seasoned at both games.
I fail to see how this point is at all true. If you are requiring all players to relearn the jiggs matchup, and all the new things she can do with spawnable items, a snake player can relearn his range (mind you 1 unit is so small most players probably wouldn't even notice, I give this as just a minor example and not actually demanding you instate it for balance, its just a point about intrusiveness of a change and the hyperbole so willingly thrown around by you and thinkaman alike)

You guys need to step off the high horse and realize that the past 20 posts in here, even from a player like Steeler, are complaining about the "out there" changes you've instated. Clearly, there is a miscommunication in intentions between public demand and your vision. The main question is this: What is a game's potential for adoption if there is no demand? I think AA already replied, and everyone out there knows the answer in that no one wants their hard work to fall on deaf ears.

So, do you want to develop a game strictly for yourselves, or for a larger playerbase? How do you think your changes reflect on BBrawls image and will they at all help garner interest in the game with smoke bombs flying around or with zelda swds? It seems that you guys don't understand the point I'm trying to get across while others do. Sure, a character might have problems with X, Y, and Z. Addressing it by making them fly across the stage as an approach option would significantly improve that so I let them *fly* across the stage to fix it. However, what do you think a community with no insight into brawl hacking will do when they first see it. A collective "WTF" will suffice. Some will find it humerous, or fun; but altogether they will seemingly dismiss the seriousness of the mod from the start. I didn't make up that quote I wrote earlier with peoples initial impressions of the latest build "BBrawl is B- without the fun." I have no attachments to this project, nor do I really know why I am debating it, but it seems like fairly valuable feedback to bring up....

Also Thinkaman, as someone involved in the medical profession, your analogy was very painful to read. I came into this thread of stirring up this discussion simply because its clearly a valid one with many individuals clearly expressing concern. Even if its a "dead horse" to you AA, it doesn't make the points any less valid.

NNID
Budget_Player
I have to agree with Shanus.

Guys, seriously. I mean no harm, but if you mean to attract the hardcore hacking crowd who's into Brawl+/Brawl-, you're going to fail. Badly. BBrawl is not... "fun" enough. You have got to stick with your original goal, as looking at the way you're going, that's all you really have. If you're going to hold to your ground line of making this a brawl "patch" with minimalistic changes, you are only going to attract those who are discontent with exactly one aspect of vBrawl-the balance (AKA the weirdos who actually like Brawl's physics). And if you stray away from what they want... you have very, very little fanbase to work with.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i am going to have to agree with the others. while you guys are trying to balance the game, the last attempt has alienated the fanbase for this game. while to you guys and in your eyes, what you have done is within the scope of your goals and ideas, this is ultimately for everyone else who plays brawl, and if you have overwhelming opinions against you guys about the progress, no amount of convinving on your side will ever change the fact that to everyone else this game is straying from the rules set out by you guys. while YOU guys may think so, WE dont, and i dont think you will ever change our opinions. you can either keep doing what you are doing, scare away the original fanbase and let this game drive itself into the ground, admit to using more extreme methods (like hitbox changing), or go back to how you were.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Honestly, alot of the "bonuses" EXCEPT the lol-worthy ones, such as canceling Side B's (excpet Wolf's) and Mystery Gift are fine....its just the few that scream "lol wut" that seem to ruin it...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Aside from removing some of the more ridiculous buffs like the ones for spacies, Jiggs, and Peach, all that really needs to be done is to make Ganon's Dash Attack safe on shield, make Ike's Jab combo do a lot of shield damage and cut some of the ending lag on B-air, and make one of Bowser's tilts or Firebreath a bit safer. Then probably give some bonuses to Zelda, Link, and Lucas's grab games.

Then everyone would clearly be competitively viable.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Man, I don't know what the hell is up with you guys... I've played Balanced Brawl pretty much exclusively since the Standard Release, only stopping when my SD card failed and for a week before / during WHOBO2, and that includes playing with the new enhancements.

I love this sh*t. BBrawl is so much better than vBrawl, is way more enjoyable, feels more balanced, AND isn't full of Melee-f@g bullsh*t like Brawl+ or absolutely ******** changes like Brawl-. Even with all the changes made in the latest test builds, it wasn't hard for me to switch back to vBrawl for WHOBO2.

Maybe I'm just insane, but I honestly see nothing wrong with their changes. I don't know, maybe its because of my philosophy major that I can see the thought processes going on behind Thinkaman / AA's choices and how it's honestly NOT conflicting with their original project goals (seriously, AA is a great internet orator; I don't get why you all suddenly stopped listening to him lately).

I've been reading this thread for a while, and I haven't seen any of this stuff from shanus until... oh, right around that secret code release fiasco, and no one else has really been saying too much about the BBrawl enhancements until... just now, either (aside from FALCONFALCONFALCONFALCONKICK!).

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
I was simply wondering if anyone played BBrawl at like side events and such because it's been out for a while, but I hardly hear about it outside of here.

Also, a bit unrelated, but what is this melee f@g BS that is in B+? B+ is closer to brawl than it is melee. It was designed this way so that it wouldn't alienate people coming from vbrawl too much. I don't want to continue this here, though. Please PM me.

As for the bonuses and such, the only ones that people seem to complain mostly about are the ones that stand out the most, namely the Peach/Jiggs/Zelda/Spacies/etc. stuff.

If BBrawl is going to be the same thing, but balanced, than it needs to be essentially the same thing. Jiggs being able to spawn an item is not the same thing, it's an entirely new option that changes the way she plays and how people fight her. People coming from vBrawl who immediately see this will go "wtf" and probably never try BBrawl. Even if the Mystery Gift is perfectly balanced and it really helps to even out matchups, people won't try it simply because what they saw they considered too foreign.

While this is sad, it's the truth, and it's partially what shaped Brawl+ into what it currently is. I still remember heated debates on whether or not to include Wavedashing. One of the arguments against it, I believe, was that it made B+ look too much like melee, and that would take away from the potential audience. This was partially true, and today it still is true, as several people view B+ as melee 2.0, even though it borrows very little from melee and a lot of the techs and stuff were around since 64.

I'm not sure how you're going to reconcile this, but if you do leave it like this, don't be surprised when many people don't give BBrawl a second look.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Both sides of the argument have a point.

The drastic changes are driving people away.

However, there are characters that have playstyles/movesets that can't compete with, well, Brawl itself, and they NEED the drastic changes.

The spacies AREN'T those.
Peach...no, no she isn't. She just needs more reward on her amazing strings.
Jiggs, however, is. Jiggs needs that Mystery Gift because she has absolutely no viable range. Even the petty Smoke Ball can intercept Marth long enough to start a string. Some of the items even buff gimping, which is in her playstyle.
Ganon needed the Invinc and Super Armor; it actually feels perfect.
Falcon Kick feels perfect and solves his problems of "I can't use my speed for followups!"
Ike Side+B is perfect. Eruption Charge Armor...should be heavy. I'd say 12%, but I know you don't like straying from the 7% norm.**
Zelda's Nayru's Love...I'm gonna risk being chased with pitchforks here, but she needed this. She has a safe approach now and she won't get it any other way. Her opponent isn't going to walk into her kill range, people.
Mario's Super Walljump Punch doesn't even feel like a hack.

To conclude my point, not EVERYBODY needs a flashy bonus. bBrawl should not be about being flashy; it should look as professional as possible, using the simplest changes available to make characters worth using.

Are there any other main offenders I forgot to bring up?

** On the note of Heavy Armor, I'm under the belief that you should know, by heart, the damage of each of your moves, and be keeping track of their staleness. Not just "This one does more than 7%".

Nakihito

Smash Rookie
Aside from removing some of the more ridiculous buffs like the ones for spacies, Jiggs, and Peach, all that really needs to be done is to make Ganon's Dash Attack safe on shield, make Ike's Jab combo do a lot of shield damage and cut some of the ending lag on B-air, and make one of Bowser's tilts or Firebreath a bit safer. Then probably give some bonuses to Zelda, Link, and Lucas's grab games.

Then everyone would clearly be competitively viable.
Edit:*We might have a different definition of competitively viable, A2Z. For me, a character isn't competitively viable if he or she has a vastly larger number of bad or even match ups than good ones and at least has some basic competitive tools (like pokes, set ups, kills, juggle potential, etc.). I think each character should have at least a few match ups where they have a 60:40 advantage which is probably one of the reasons I find vLucario and vMarth to be good points of reference for balance.*

I don't think that would solve a lot of problems for Ike and Ganondorf. Even assuming Ganondorf kept his invincible downb and got the dash attack buff you suggested (which is a very good idea), he'd still have trouble approaching with two of his three approaches being very unsafe. I'd say he could use a nair buff, either less landing lag, more shield push back somehow, or more shield damage. As you know, its one of his best aerials, but you take far too much risk for it to be all that grand of an approach. More shield push back or less landing lag would make it much safer and allow him to poke pretty well. I think he should also get his jab sped up too. Right now its just stupid and almost never worth using.

Ike, on the other hand, needs a more than just more shield damage on jab and less end lag on bair. His jab needs to be sped up and the kbg on jab1 and 2 need to be less SDIable and bair should have more knock back than it does not. Right now, Ike seems to perform fine in tourneys or friendlies, but as we've established before, he's going to start suffering as players simply become better (what really helps him now is the fact that most players avoid playing too "gay"). Once people start PSing more than projectiles, Ike will really plummet because any non-jab attacks can be blocked on reaction and can usually be punished even without a PS.

The start-up on his nair and utilt need to be decreased so he can juggle. His throws need to have more reward to them so that if he gets a grab it doesn't just lead to a reset. SA on Aether from frame 1 until he jumps or regrabs his sword would also give him a much needed OoS option (jab doesn't count for reasons previously mentioned). Finally, ftilt should be sped up in both start up and cool down with maybe a little knock back nerf.

I think this project would be a lot better off with timing and a few hit box changes rather than the new bonuses (many of which I also believe are unfairly classified or distributed). There are just some attacks are will be completely useless without timing changes (Ike and Ganondorf mainly) and there are other attacks that have misleading hit boxes or attacks whose hit box destroys the main function of an attack (Like Zelda and Lucario's grab box). Snake's ftilt and utilt have hit boxes that extend past the animation. Those look like programming errors that should be fixed, not to mention the fact that they already have amazing (read: broken) knock back, damage, and speed ratios. You've already changed a lot of angle and knock back values for a lot of attacks which means you have to relearn when an attack knocks your opponent offstage, sets up for juggles or combos, whether an attack should be now classified as a kill move or a damage dealer (should I save my usmash now, or should I use it to deal damage?), and/or when it kills and from where on which stages. That's just a subconscious as timing and hit box. I'd go so far as to say that it would be more difficult to relearn some kill percentages on attacks with new angle or knock back values than it would be to relearn Snake's ftilt and utilt hit boxes if they were changed to actually fit the animation.

Edit:
Some of the bonuses can stay, but a few of them need some reworking. Mario's wall-jump, Ganon's downb, and Ike's QD are all examples of changes that should stay. Jigg's item spawning, however, must go. Its too out of place and is like a bad turnip pluck/grenade.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Crap, I wrote this last night and forgot to post it...

Like mystery gift. "Jigglypuff can now pull from a set of random items using side taunt." "O_O" That could change tons of things. It also creates this giant metagame that needs to be developed for her that involves discovering combos and whatnot that can be done from the different items, or how to combo into throwing certain powerful items for kills. That, and those smoke balls are sure to annoy any vBrawl player who wasn't a big fan of the move in the first place. I mean, something else couldn't be thought of to help her out without introducing something so huge?
So Mystery Gift is obviously the elephant in the room as far as this discussion goes. It's a very flashy "joke" change for the "joke" character of the series. It would not be close to appropriate on anyone else. (Except maybe Pichu in Melee?)

However, the reason it has stuck around isn't because it is flashy or funny or crazy. It got to stay because it legitimately helped Jigglypuff in matchups against defensive ranged characters. Honestly, in matchups against anyone else it is somewhat rare to ever pull an item out... (You are way better off pushing any time you gain a positional advantage.)

As for "creating a giant item metagame", I don't really buy that. They are items, everyone has seen them before and none of them really have a lot of depth to them. Mr. Saturn does lots of shield damage, Spring and Pitfall go through shields. Congratulations, you now know everything there is to know about Jigglypuff's toys.

Then there's other stuff like the cancel. Spacy side-B cancels and Peach Bomber cancels. They don't seem like such huge deals, but are there any other similar cancels in Brawl? Brawl seems to be devoid of cancels. Sounds like a Melee thing. When you start telling vBrawl players that these characters can cancel ending lag of moves with other moves, that's another strike in their book. "Why is that necessary?" "You can't cancel stuff in Brawl O_o" It makes the whole thing feel a lot more like it's indeed a hack and not a balance patch. Especially when you do stuff like spacey side-b -> double jump -> side-B. Were those moves so bad that that was really necessary? Or was it implemented to make the game more attractive?
First, don't fall into the trap of "the goal here is to buff bad moves and nerf good moves". We are trying to balance characters, not moves. Sometimes it makes sense to leave bad moves bad, and sometimes it even makes sense to buff already excellent moves! (For example, Ness fair is already one of the best moves in the game, but the shield damage buff on it turned out to be one of the better decisions I think.)

Back to your main point though: The primary purpose of the cancel changes, like all changes, was to improve balance. Peach, Fox, Wolf, and Falcon were almost universally in the bottom 5-8 characters in any submitted tier list for the first release. There's a number of factors for this, including underestimating the impact outside changes would have on Peach's unique playstyle and overestimating the impact of exploits being removed on fast-fallers. Peach was still pigeonholed into a spacing game that was almost on par with the rest of the game, Fox still had fundamental approach issues, and Wolf was still showing weird matchup issues mostly due to his now worst-in-game recovery (plus feedback on his nair change wasn't positive).

General changes to Peach proved almost Zelda-style pointless, because everything in Peach's moveset already fit such rigid roles. Nothing in Fox's moveset really worked in terms of a buffed approach, and multiple experiments with shield damage proved stupid, pointless, or both. Wolf we really didn't have any options for except follow the Falcon route and start buffing random moves until he ends up a power character--there wasn't really a good way to do this while targeting problem matchups either, since unlike Falcon his issue was recovery. (If we buffed Wolf's damage and KO power up to A tier, Olimar, Jigglypuff, and a few other characters would hate us.)

Fox's side-b cancel survived early passes because it was fun and very appropriate to his playstyle, and stuck around past that because it addressed his approach issues when nothing else had. Wolf was in the same boat, except with an emphasis on mobility/recovery. Peach Bomber cancelling actually fit into Peach's existing spacing game in a way that addressed long-range defensive characters.

Falco was a seperate issue. From the start I didn't like that Wolf and Fox were getting nearly identical changes but he was left out. However, there was no balance need or justification to make such a change in Falco. (AA was quick to point out that anything that at all enabled Falco to run away on stage better is never going to happen.) Falco had another problem though: His revamped d-throw was slightly TOO good at high %s, and I didn't like the idea of Falco being overall *more* focused on grabbing. The end solution was to tone back Falco's d-throw "buff", and give him a pale shadow of Fox/Wolf's new advantage, which addressed Falco's recovery weaknesses in some matchups without contributing to his spam game.

I hope some of that information was helpful.

Which brings me to my next point. Didn't you guys say these bonuses were being implemented to make the game more attractive to the casual viewer? [incoming argument you've heard a hundred times] These changes don't seem drastic enough to attract anyone who's playing Brawl+, Brawl-, or Project M, but they are seemingly drastic enough to turn off vBrawl players who fear that playing a lot of BBrawl will mess up their vBrawl game, which it isn't supposed to. It kind of makes it impossible to tell them it's just like vBrawl but more balanced when they see a character randomly spawning items or canceling moves.
The primary motivation has never been to be flashy. What you're talking about was the change in our position that flashy is not "evil". Again, in the first release, I considered say Ike's side-b no special fall to be somewhat shameful, like we failed to do better. After release we saw that Ike was one of our most successful characters in terms of player reception... so maybe flashy isn't always bad after all, and perhaps there are cases where one big concise change is ideal.

Again, the most important word for this release is "concise". Pretty much all of the changes are functionally independent. Fox is the most clear example of this: The only thing you have to remember to move between vBrawl and BBrawl is that you can't jump cancel side-b in vBrawl. No timing, spacing, or even damage or knockback changes. All there is, is one singular concise change.

And man, I can't whine about that Nayru's Love enough @_@ That just screams HACK to me.
You are talking about the slide, right? I'd be glad to discuss it, what about it do you find problematic?

I think the main reason it disappoints me, is I thought you guys were doing fine with the first release. There were no crazy flashy or significant changes, and balance was significantly better overall. There were more minor changes that could be made throughout to make it even better (such as nerfing some previous overbuffs, and perhaps a few more little nerfs to some of the top characters). Some matchups were still a bit tough, but hey, isn't that what secondaries are for? Not every matchup can be 50:50, and no character had a dominant amount of poor matchups overall. Were the flashy changes really necessary?
I'm definitely proud of the first release, and I know AA is as well. However, let's look at some data:

-According to my personal opinion (in data form), the first release condensed 38 characters to a range of 12-13 vBrawl characters. (with Zelda as an outlier) That's roughly a 3x improvement in balance.
-According to average data connected from other players, it was condensed to a range of about 18. That's about a 2x improvement in balance.
-We had exhausted most of the straightforward potential for depolarizing the matchups of Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Link, Sheik, Zelda, Ganondorf, Olimar, Fox, Wolf, Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Ike. These characters could not reasonably be improved further in terms of the matchup polarization. (Luckily some of these characters were already fine, others like Zelda...)
-Some characters had "jarring" over-buffed moves, including Yoshi, Link, Falcon, and Jigglypuff.

-For this release, my personal opinion/predictions built over the last two months currently has the cast condensed to a gap the size of 6 vBrawl characters. That's roughly a 6x improvement in balance over vBrawl, or 2x over my opinion of the first release/3x over the general opinion of the first release.
-The average impressions from other players predicts a constriction to a range of about 10. That's about a 4x improvement in balance from vBrawl, or about a 2x improvement in balance from general opinion of the first release.

I think the preliminary results speak for themselves! I keep repeating: these are not random flashy experiments made to woo Youtube, they are changes selected for precise reasons to surgically fix problem matchups where no simple solution exists. Brawl has 37 characters and 666 matchups not counting Sheik+Zelda, and I think in this release you will be very hard pressed to find a character that wouldn't be A/B tier in vBrawl nor a single matchup that is worse than 40:60.

Thanks for the post, and I hope everyone is exciting for the release!

Mit

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'll admit a lot of the bonuses are fine. Apparently Mario could walljump after his up-B in Melee as well? That's cool and kind of makes the change less jarring to me as if anyone is familiar with Melee Mario they'll find it to be a neat, not-out-of-place addition due to it actually being a minor feature in a Smash game at one point in time (and being the only similar-to-Melee feature, people won't start making Melee comparisons).

But yeah, it's just the more jarring ones that are getting to me. Some I don't even think need the flashiness behind them. Such as Bowser's Giga fsmash. Couldn't the advantages from that have been implemented without making it look ridiculous and turning off people? I think the SA frames are still a bit too extensive and lingering, but couldn't you have just upped the damage a bit and extended the SA frames on the original move? I get that you might as well include the flashiness, but that is what seems to be contributing to a lot of complaints.

My other issues are mainly the cancels and the other super armor moves. The cancels are just too foreign. I get that they help balance the characters, I just think it would be better to look at different options to try and solve these problems instead of straight up allowing moves to be canceled. Some stuff I would have rather seen on Falcon was a sped up dtilt that sets up extremely well or allows a tech chase. Dtilt has great range, it's just far too unsafe on block and doesn't offer enough reward for landing it. Speeding it up wouldn't be a terribly foreign change as no one uses the move in vBrawl anyways (and if they do it's when they are sure to hit, and are utilizing the maximum range of the move). I'd also rather see just reduced ending lag on Falcon Kick, to make it more safe and allow for better chases. That's essentially what the cancel changes are now. I play with a couple others who enjoy Falcon, and the most we've been using the current cancel change for, is aerial kick -> grounded kick combos, and grounded kick -> raptor boost, except the raptor boost is usually just used for retreating to safety when you whiff a kick or it gets blocked.

As far as spacies cancels, I might just not know enough about them, but I feel like the cancels don't even do very much for their game. All I've been getting out of it is the recovery buff (which, if I get hit extremely far to the edge of the stage at a low angle, I deserve to die... I don't feel I need the buff), and being able to do stuff like spam Wolf's side-B a ton because it's very safe to use with the double jump cancel. I guess it's the same situation for Fox and Falco.

Does it really solve Wolf's problems better than some other, less jarring changes? Couldn't the focus have been shifted to making his onstage game better instead of his recovery, kind of like how it is with Link? Again, I'm no spacey expert, and I'm sure you've got some pretty good reasoning behind the cancels, I'm interested in hearing them.

EDIT: replied to above already.

Super Armor pawnches also seem a bit unnecessary to me. While it might actually make the moves viable in some situations, I don't think they were needed to be made viable, and adding a change such as that just seems to garner more groans. It also seems to really break more casual play in situations such as FFAs, and Team Battles even seemed heavily affected.

I don't know, on these things I remain fairly firm due to introducing BBrawl 2 to another group of friends tonight who were used to playing the first BBrawl version. They were quite surprised and seemed to enjoy themselves less and less the more they found out about the more crazy changes. Started with Falcon Kick canceling, then super armor punches, giga fsmash, mystery gift, and spacey cancels. I didn't even dare pick Zelda for fear of them just resetting it and playing vBrawl over it. One of the best players there (Scala, a halfway notable Yoshi main, and known in the southeast Michigan scene) quit out early due to just not wanting to play it. He was okay with the first BBrawl because it didn't fudge with things too much to him, but he couldn't stand the more severe and flashy changes.

Needless to say, BBrawl 1.0 is now set up on that Wii again >.>

The other group of friends I play with seem more tolerable of it (although all agreed the Zelda change was too much, and yes the version we're playing has it less effective when moving backward too), as they are more open to change and just like to have fun, and while pretty good at the game, don't have much interest in competing. But I feared it would be the opposite to the other group who are more competitive. I can't even imagine trying to get people to play it at an Ann Arbor smashfest with players like Lain, Bowyer, Ankoku, and Anther present. I know one of the Brawl- guys pushes them into playing that a bit, but I'm sure they just consider that a totally different game.

I don't know, a lot of different bonuses I do think are still okay, I just think there are definitely some alternatives to some of the flashier changes that were made. I don't think they do much to make the project that much more attractive, and overall I think that should still be done with really trying to get some people out there to make videos, preferably of matchups in vBrawl that were terrible, but much better in BBrawl. While it never really happened with the first version, that just needs to be remedied. It'd be strong reference material for attracting more competitive players who might be interested.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
(what really helps him now is the fact that most players avoid playing too "gay")
Quite obviously, you've never WiFi'd with me :3 I play as gay as possible to test the limits of characters. I've even got people going "Nerf Dedede now!!" and me just laughing.

But, I digress. I'm a troll :3

Wonderful post, Thinkaman. Perhaps Fox and Wolf would be taken better if, instead of jumping out of Illusion, they just cut it and you gained control? It WOULD use up your Double Jump, though. Make Fox's ground version Shield Cancellable so he can still uSmash, but can't Illusion back and forth seamlessly.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
The only "bonuses" I seriously don't like are Bowser's Fsmash and Wolf's Side B change. I am 100% okay with all the rest (Maybe not a 100% in the case of Warlock punch in doubles...), but these two just feel out of place for different reasons. Bowser's is stupidly flashy, and super armor just feels ridiculous when doing stupid stuff like Fsmash GG's bomb blocks. Wolf's side B, I still say, is too good for him, allowing him to actually have aerial zoning to compliment his ground game as well as boosting his recovery up a good deal.

But I understand the reasons for Wolf's at least. Bowser's is just there to.... separate him from the other heavy characters, but it goes farther than necessary, imo.

Anyway, I enjoyed the last several AA+Thinkaman posts; in general I agree with them on these bonuses. They are concise changes, and they all seem flavorful (The hate on Mystery Gift is expected, but I like it nonetheless). It's just a few rub different people in the wrong way. Like some are fine with the cancels, but not with Mystery Gift. Some are fine with both of those but dont like the super armor. Some aren't fine with the majority, but like the subtle changes. You can't please everyone :(

Still excited for the release!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i like mystery gift for the most part. the smoke gets annoying very quickly in doubles though. i was trying to think of other items that could just be a standard projectile to toss along the lines of peach turnips but i eventually realized that smoke ball's best use is when thrown vertically to create a bouncing "wall" that jiggs can conjure up sometimes. it helps against other characters' walling and is, i think, the only item that does this.

my main problem is with fox, wolf, and peach. i don't think these characters are bad enough to require such drastic buffs. fox doing two illusions in a row leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and in everyone else with whom i've briefly played bbrawl. wolf is the same, somewhat less abusable off stage because of move's angle but a little more effective on stage. peach's is the least..."egregious" in a way because it's much slower than the other two. i've played probably 20 hours of random CPU dittos in bbrawl this past week and a half and i think her new nair is pretty lame with bomber canceling but otherwise it's probably okay...it's slow enough as a recovery move. i'd like to see nair's trajectory or damage/knockback reduced to vbrawl level, it's like a mega luigi nair with how fast it is.

what i personally suggest is that wolf/fox side b doesn't allow you to side b again afterward, only up b. jumping is okay i guess if you can't side b. perhaps jump cancelling peach bomber but no canceling directly into an aerial attack? or instead of bomber cancel at all, we remove the randomization on her fsmash? peach is a very nuanced character, and i think that would complement her nicely.
the way i view it is the more rare a certain matchup is in vbrawl, the more freedom you have in changing that matchup for bbrawl in order to preserve as much of that vbrawl feel as possible while establishing the balance we need...the better the character, the more conservative we should be imo.

when was the last time anyone played against a good jiggs in tournament? just check ankoku's thread. because of that, along with ultimately how well mystery gift fits jiggs (much better than any other character), i think it's okay. you learned how to deal with peach's turnip pull right? this is basically a much, MUCH slower turnip pull that is, imo, a little less or about equally as rewarding.

this is the same reason i'm ultimately okay with falcon kick loving or ganonrape. generally speaking, i'm fine with all of the changes on the principle of balance. this is still AA and thinkaman's main priority so we can be assured that most everything is fine on that end. but some stuff does look pretty ridiculous (eruption charging in the middle of PTAD cars) or deviate a bit too far from vbrawl for myself and most everyone that has played it here (fox, wolf, peach). and make no mistake, the players here are good vbrawlers.

edit
I think in this release you will be very hard pressed to find a character that wouldn't be A/B tier in vBrawl nor a single matchup that is worse than 40:60.
olimar v ike. samus v ike possibly? rob v link maybe, along with a few other link matchups with campy characters with good gimping ability.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Jigg's items can backfire on her... With Ike I did a smoke ball > ftilt combo....

I think steeler made some good suggestions with Wolf's and Fox's Side B (I have no comment on Peach). It would reduce excessive side B spam but keep the purpose you guys planned for it at heart.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Edit:*We might have a different definition of competitively viable, A2Z. For me, a character isn't competitively viable if he or she has a vastly larger number of bad or even match ups than good ones and at least has some basic competitive tools (like pokes, set ups, kills, juggle potential, etc.). I think each character should have at least a few match ups where they have a 60:40 advantage which is probably one of the reasons I find vLucario and vMarth to be good points of reference for balance.*
Okay yeah, you know what, when I said "viable", I meant the way Dan is viable in (Super) Street Fighter 4. He's a limited and bad character, but even so, he has tools and enough viable mixups to assert himself in most competitive situations.

The way I see Ganon and Ike getting fixed, they're clearly going to have a lot more problems in high level play than other characters, but won't have any blatant unwinnables.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
The only "bonuses" I seriously don't like are Bowser's Fsmash and Wolf's Side B change. I am 100% okay with all the rest (Maybe not a 100% in the case of Warlock punch in doubles...), but these two just feel out of place for different reasons. Bowser's is stupidly flashy, and super armor just feels ridiculous when doing stupid stuff like Fsmash GG's bomb blocks. Wolf's side B, I still say, is too good for him, allowing him to actually have aerial zoning to compliment his ground game as well as boosting his recovery up a good deal.

But I understand the reasons for Wolf's at least. Bowser's is just there to.... separate him from the other heavy characters, but it goes farther than necessary, imo.
Personally I really like Bowser's Fsmash armor, if only because that was apparently how it was at E for All.

I am also very pumped for the release! Keep up the good work. Even though I always lean toward "less drastic" as the preferred option, I trust you guys to make a balanced game while remaining true to Brawl.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
According to a video of Bowser gameplay at E for All, this Fsmash and that Fsmash are nothing alike beyond vBrawl attributes. At least, there was zero graphic effects, the power was less, the weird hitstun wasn't there, etc. The one thing I'm not sure about is super armor. According to Gimpyfish's impressions of Bowser from E for All, he mentioned some SA on charge. Assuming this was the actual case, he only says it's SA on charge and not the actual move, and that's assuming he didn't make a mistake. He also said it had less power than in Melee, and I think BBrawl's is stronger than both.

The videos of Bowser at E for All would showcase them spamming Fsmash if they had BBrawl fsmash.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
The other group of friends I play with seem more tolerable of it (although all agreed the Zelda change was too much, and yes the version we're playing has it less effective when moving backward too)
Did you ever take into account the last post I made about aerials and how low the hitbox comes out?
It's not over powered and only helps about 2 of her worse match ups.
You just remind me of one of those people still who think Zelda mid tier in v brawl.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
rob v link maybe, along with a few other link matchups with campy characters with good gimping ability.
I full-heartedly disagree with this. ROB v. Link is no where near that bad (if not 50-50.) Link's camp game is quite superior and he shouldn't be getting hit by anything off stage that can gimp him as long as he DI's the f-air up. If he's at a low percent, how'd you get that fatty off stage?

Mit

Smash Ace
Did you ever take into account the last post I made about aerials and how low the hitbox comes out?
It's not over powered and only helps about 2 of her worse match ups.
You just remind me of one of those people still who think Zelda mid tier in v brawl.
I honestly don't know enough about playing her alone to comment on her tier position. "Too much" I suppose wasn't the best choice of words. More like we were stunned at how crazy and hackish it seemed. I'm not saying it's not a helpful change, but it's definitely one that I would have preferred to see addressed in a different way.

Although, I feel like the change was still made to make her a better standalone player. I've played Ankoku's Sheik more than a few times, and I'm positive he'd be an absolute terror to fight against with all of BBrawl's changes aside from the Nayru's Love buff (he does play Sheik as BBrawl intends a lot, racking damage with Sheik and killing with Zelda, although he'll try for gimps and mindgame up-B kills with Sheik as well... and all kinds of other stuff. He's mad nuts).

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Before I retired tonight, I wanted to jot out some thoughts I was having. There's been a lot of talk of the perspective of judging changes (rather than characters and matchups themselves), so I was thinking generally about change. First, a personal note so you know where I'm coming from:

I really hate change.

I own about 5-6 pairs of identical sweatpants that I wear every day. At every restaurant I can think of, I order the same thing every time. Sophmore year of college, I ate the same thing at the same place every night for the entire year. Heck, I've had the same canned mini ravioli for lunch for the last 2 weeks. I visit the same set of 8-10 websites about 8-10 times per day. I oppose all schedule or location changes, for anything, and really get bothered by personality changes in other people.

I don't think I'm all that unique thought; revulsion and distrust is probably the natural, default reaction to change. So when I hear people complaining about change, I can relate--and not just in general, but specifically concerning BBrawl!

In the early internal testing of the first release, I was strongly opposed to Luigi's fireball speedup. It was just too different. I admitted it solved his matchup issues, pretty well in fact, but I was still opposed. However, as progress continued, logic prevailed and my initial opinion gave way. A more recent example was Bowser's super armor f-smash. I disliked it a lot for about a week--and as Bowser got more detailed testing, like Luigi I really started to like where it put Bowser.

This isn't meant to be a lecture about how we all have to accept change--I'm still wearing my sweatpants and eating my ravioli over here. I just wanted to bring up how change affects our opinions and impressions. Now that everyone started brining up specific changes, note that everyone is concerned about different ones! The matter at hand is one of opinions and their variety, not any particular fundamental ideals.

Looking at the big picture, BBrawl remains hyper-conservative; casual players still fail the blind tests I run consistently. The amount of testing that has gone into this release is very substantial, and I'm really proud of the quality. The characters are proving themselves sound and in line with their original designs, and I am confident that a vast majority of concerns anyone has will be alleviated as the project continues to prove itself, just as I put aside my strong hesitations about Luigi, Bowser, and others after they stood strong through development.

I probably won't post significantly more until release, which is shaping up quite nicely. Until then, thanks for all the feedback that has carried us this far!

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Just to back up Thinkaman here...

Among myself and the people I've shown, Nayru's Love is one of the best-received of the new 'flashy' changes. The overall consensus is that it looks and feels extremely natural, to the point where it seems like Nayru's Love should have been this way from the beginning. Our reaction couldn't be more opposite from that of Mit and his friends.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong (though I am thinking it very hard), I just want to show that for every change that you feel is too extreme, there's someone else who thinks the change is too bland.
Ultimately, I think that once people start playing the new BBrawl, they'll quickly come to accept the new changes. Even changes as seemingly extreme as Mystery Gift quickly become familiar and 'normal' after a few dozen rounds. Ultimately, unless a change is blatantly unfair, I don't see how it could become divisive enough to prevent anyone from playing Balanced Brawl.

And as for these 'flashy' changes preventing anyone from trying BBrawl because they seem too hacky or extreme...
Well, once again, this is only my experience, but for me, these changes are the hook that get people to try BBrawl. The flashier the change, the bigger the appeal.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I full-heartedly disagree with this. ROB v. Link is no where near that bad (if not 50-50.) Link's camp game is quite superior and he shouldn't be getting hit by anything off stage that can gimp him as long as he DI's the f-air up. If he's at a low percent, how'd you get that fatty off stage?
Link at mid percents is VERY easily gimped by ROB, and ROB's F/Bthrow are hard to DI on reaction and have high base kb that will easily get anyone offstage regardless of percent. It's at percents where F-air COMBOS on Link that Link stands to get gimped if he goes offstage. Well-aimed lasers also lead to frametrap situations forcing Link in a situation that is very bad for his recovery whether or not he actually gets hit by the laser (where in situations where he doesn't get hit by the laser, he is forced to prematurely expend an airdodge or jump, and if he DOES get hit by the laser, he just lost a lot of aerial momentum).

No doubt that Link does better with that Up-B Hookshot buff and power buffs to random stuff, but ROB isn't without buffs. ROB's F-tilt angle change probably benefits a fair bit in this matchup as well. He STILL realistically speaking can force Link to approach due to his camping working from longer ranges and being more "spammable" than Link's fairly slow projectiles.

While ROB's D-throw has been fixed, it still leads to a free aerial of choice as long as he reads the reaction, while Link really doesn't have anything like this from a grab.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I like Naryu's Love too. I would like it even more when the final version of it comes out :)

I don't like sweatpants, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom