• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Azen vs RoyR - Their Set from HOBO 11 10/4/08

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Don't overrate someone just because they are well known grandmaster and don't think for a second that good players don't do dumb ****.

Ever striving for perfection is what being competitive gamer is all about. Don't just watch a vid and assume the person knows what they are doing.

Watch it under the eye of scrutiny and try to understand why things work and try to "see" what is going on in the match.
but also accept that it is azen.

but to be fair....royr was 2 stocking dsf the night before the event and was beating azen in friendlies after thier tourney match.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Wow Azen's :lucario: is super beast...

But Roy_r's :marth: wasnt the best...
all I saw was fair -> b spamming...
Every good Marth appears to be fair and DB spamming until you really understand how a marth should be played. Fair, Dtilt, and DB should be your most commonly used attacks. My only critique would be the full jumps, i just dont get that ****. Honestly

Still RoyR has the best marth imo

IDK

Smash Lord
schwoah its melee! gea ur sig is weird. i've actually had noobs at tourneys say they were full jumping for the reason you guys were saying... but they actually couldnt SH.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Technomonster...are you serious?

Ok, since you need me to lay it all out for you, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

I don't want anyone in the Marth community sucking anyone's **** just because. I want EVERYONE in this community to come under criticism and that includes top placers like Roy_R or knowledgeable strategist like me. It has nothing to do with hating.

It has everything to do with setting a bar of excellence that no other board can even hope to come close too. No one is on a pedestal here. We are all the same and we all have the right to analyze one another.

This is the Marth boards sir.

You clearly ain't tough enough.

Take your fanboyism somewhere else.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Technomonster...are you serious?

Ok, since you need me to lay it all out for you, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

I don't want anyone in the Marth community sucking anyone's **** just because. I want EVERYONE in this community to come under criticism and that includes top placers like Roy_R or knowledgeable strategist like me. It has nothing to do with hating.

It has everything to do with setting a bar of excellence that no other board can even hope to come close too. No one is on a pedestal here. We are all the same and we all have the right to analyze one another.

This is the Marth boards sir.

You clearly ain't tough enough.

Take your fanboyism somewhere else.
Oh no he didn't!

But techno, obviously RoyR lost. He's good, but he didn't win so there's room for improvement. Nothing more nothing less.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
I had problems with Full Jump -> double jump...

I think* i've witnessed better spacing by Roy R...
He's a great Marth, but uh... Iono... these matches kinda were strange to me.

I find that most [players] Marth's have a particular habit, but since Marth has "go to moves" those attacks are prominent in Marth's metagame.
@the person who said all Marths look the same...

Then there's EL thing, yes we discuss to achieve a better understanding of the game. And at some point we already know this ****... and so we just say things over... but people still play him inefficiently (in terms of whats on the Marth's board)... don't take this statement out of context. I'm ready to defend it.

We just do it. So eh, Techno if you wanna get better at anything, you gotta be crappy and then get criticized.

Then there goes, that what the Marth boards discuss is actually utilized by several characters. It's the MOST effecient way of play as Marth. And I see it all the time.

The exception I see is Roy R's, Neo's and players that I see have reason to play differently from the game style that is generally discussed on this board. (since walking, blah, blah this and that) Still they're great players and know what they're doing.

I never know what I'm doing... so I do what this board tells me. And my game is based on players videos and discussions that others players have given inputted; therefore... I'm sure that people use the boards to learn, and actually carefully implement into their game.

eh? Or am I just a loser.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Steel? Huh? I would say it increases your chances of being punished since you are in a more vulnerable position. But I wouldn't say it increases your chances of being shield grabbed.

Umby

Smash Master
This thread reminds me when Link mainers thought Aniki was the best Link in Melee for the sole reason that he consistently beat Ken's Marth (and I think 4 stocked him once?).

Gnes

Smash Master
Steel? Huh? I would say it increases your chances of being punished since you are in a more vulnerable position. But I wouldn't say it increases your chances of being shield grabbed.
Im not to keen on marth but i have played Roy lots...he probably just thought it was viable against Azens lucario considering he never does it against me...Perhaps adjusted spacing on the fair as hes heading to the ground was meant to minimize the chances of punishment...who knows...seriously no one understands how he thinks

P.S I still love u roy :3 give me lots of marth of practice on thursday

∫unk

Smash Master
Shield grabbing happens when you do a predictable poorly spaced attack. A very core part about Brawl's advance metagame is avoiding the shield grab.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Here's what I can see.

If you full hop and do a fair and plan on doing a fair on your way down (which is what roy did) it's obvious where you are going to land. Dash to shield (and then grab) ***** this imo, along with the stuff azen did.

How is this safer than SH fair DI backwards?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Well with a full hop its easier to space yourself that's for sure. But an easy response from your opponent would be to roll behind you. If they tried to roll behind you after a SH fair you could just DB them which would deter them from doing that.

So full hopping is nice to throw out every once and awhile, but it does have some obvious counters. There is no denying that.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The way Roy plays he likes to try things out and see what works and then he puts it into his game. He has almost no experience vs Lucario while Azen has played Neo :/.

On that note; Roy_R knocked me out of losers at Hobo11. He DESTROYED me. I have NEVER been beaten so badly in tournament. I wish he would of full hopped vs me :(. I just don't see what GW can do to kill a Marth like Roy_R before Marth get's the kill. I think I hit it him with one smash attack the whole game :/. The second match I choose IC's and Smashville(he banned FD) and he destroyed me there too ;_;. I grabbed him once and killed him from it, but I couldn't grab him more then once. Every time he hit my nana with anything he would carry her off the edge with fairs and I was helpless to stop him :/.

Gah I need to figure out how to beat Marth :(.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I told you this son.

Pick MAGNETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Wait, wrong game.

>_>

I meant Metaknight.

Ah, well same difference right?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I told you this son.

Pick MAGNETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Wait, wrong game.

>_>

I meant Metaknight.

Ah, well same difference right?
He beat Dojo 2-0 right before me so I didn't want to lol. I think I might pick up snake though.

Gnes

Smash Master
He beat Dojo 2-0 right before me so I didn't want to lol. I think I might pick up snake though.
Im thinkin of doin that too...snake ditto at HOBO 12/ OH SNAP...not likely lol...but anywayz Roy does have lucario, in actuality thats the character he practices most against , its just playin against Azen is totally different...

I was sad seeing Roy do your ice climbers like that Hylian...so very sad :(

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I was messing around with that last comment.

Snake vs Marth is about 45/55 disadvantage for Marth.

Marth vs G&W. Eh. I think 60/40 is pretty accurate.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I was messing around with that last comment.

Snake vs Marth is about 45/55 disadvantage for Marth.

Marth vs G&W. Eh. I think 60/40 is pretty accurate.
I was talking about it with Ankoku this morning. I can't really see what G&W has on Marth except Chef (lol) and getting lucky, and hoping the Marth messes up. G&W telegraphs a lot, and we have counter and Dolphin Slash. G&W is robbed of his most reliable K.O.. No one can deny that it's predictable, it's just that most characters can't do anything about it (see keyword: Mach Tornado). If G&W catches Marth off guard, he can combo him, but good luck landing a kill move with a moveset that telegraphed vs. Marth. Even against Nair and Fair, Marth still has counter. G&W has only chef to begin to deal with a good Marth spacing Fair. He can try to beat it out with a predictable Bair, but as I said, counter and Dolphin Slash say hi.

Marth wins on approach AND on defense.

aw4488

Smash Rookie
I always have such a hard time killing my friend's snake. Hes so effing hard to edge guard, and it takes forever to rack up the dmg. I've never played a good G&W b4, what makes him so high tier?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I always have such a hard time killing my friend's snake. Hes so effing hard to edge guard, and it takes forever to rack up the dmg. I've never played a good G&W b4, what makes him so high tier?
Spammable and overpowered dsmash, Fsmash is kinda spammable and beats some spot dodging. Most of his aerials are spammable. Very high priority tilts and a good recovery. A down throw tech chase, good aerial mobility. Seems a bit like Metaknight without a tornado or unfair edgeguarding. Oh and yeah what Steel said...turtlez.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
..................one day someone will get into world finals...WITH FOX....and guess who he will lose the finals to...

thats right...

Captain Falcon...

*runs away and gets attacked by a bunch of Tickle-Me-Elmos... *

oh why oh why did i post this?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

Also, his upsmash kills at like 70%. Seriously.
even though no one is stupid enough toget hit by that

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Not if the opponent techrolls though, right?
It might still be possible to hit if you catch the opponent off guard. After 100% I think you roll a bit slower after hitting the ground, so GAW can benefit from that. Ive seen people be grabbed 4-5 times and usmashed...its really gay lol.

Point is though, the dthrow techchase is the only way you should be getting hit with a upsmash, and rare at that.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Even though I'm for MK being banned, if he can beat Dojo's MK 2-0 that gives people against banning him every right to complain. o_0

Top Bottom