• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Azen vs RoyR - Their Set from HOBO 11 10/4/08

CY

Smash Ace
roy_r is way way way too good. he took matches off m2k, some vs azen in friendles, 2-0'd dojo's mk. wowowowowow

that match should of been on a bigger TV, i couldn't get around to see the match. :(

feardragon64

Smash Champion
He has a nice marth, but I personally don't like the fact that he takes so many risks. Sure they pay off sometimes, but he gets hit a lot too =\

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Argh, not enough Lucario practice I guess. I'll play you more Roy and get better, I promise. :)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
All right, I must ask...

what is up with the tendency to full hop or double jump aerials Roy_R? Is it to expand your options in when the aerial will come out? Or what? Laggy TVs? Johns? Azen?

Other than that, good stuff, Lucario is tough. =/

EDIT: Oh yeah, congrats for getting 5th w/o using MK at HOBO 11 out of 112 entrants. ^_^

∫unk

Smash Master
All right, I must ask...

what is up with the tendency to full hop or double jump aerials Roy_R? Is it to expand your options in when the aerial will come out? Or what? Laggy TVs? Johns? Azen?

Other than that, good stuff, Lucario is tough. =/

EDIT: Oh yeah, congrats for getting 5th w/o using MK at HOBO 11 out of 112 entrants. ^_^
full hopping is pretty sexy especially on fd try it out

little known fact it was pretty good in melee and 64 too... i know for brawl gw dittos whoever is slightly higher has the advantage (which happens when the opponent gw sh and you full hop).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes.

Full jumping is amazing.

Constantly exposing Marth's blind spot is made of good and win.

/sarcasm

∫unk

Smash Master
EL wins at responding in 2 seconds without failure.

I was mainly talking about brawl gw and 64, which as steel ingeniously pointed out has very little to do with the marth boards.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Roy_R knows what he's doing.

No Marth actually plays the way the Marth board says you should, lol.

Now, I'm not big on full hoping niether. In fact, I don't do it at all. But ****, if it has him fighting evenly with Azen, I'll take it.

Every Marth has there own style. Roy and Neo, for example, play nothing alike at all. No big deal really.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The only thing I can say is that Roy knows he made some mistakes. There's nothing else to do but learn and move on. Perhaps if Azen comes back to Houston someday, a rematch can be done.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Don't overrate someone just because they are well known grandmaster and don't think for a second that good players don't do dumb ****.

Ever striving for perfection is what being competitive gamer is all about. Don't just watch a vid and assume the person knows what they are doing.

Watch it under the eye of scrutiny and try to understand why things work and try to "see" what is going on in the match.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Roy_R played very well, but he did seem to overdo full jumping to hurt himself (as far as predictability+exposing weakness as EL said) a little every now and then. It really wasn't a bad strategy vs Azen's Lucario honestly. I say good job to both players.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

It could just be a bad habit he has. Something to consider.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
then i have that bad habit to like every other marth >_> and the ones that dont obviously are better and place so well >_>

if roy R approached different imo he would not of done so well

he played that match very well

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
It could be that this is his strategy against Lucario, because his F-Smash, U-Tilt, and F-air have so much range. He might have expected that Azen would F-Smash more, and he could punish him with F-airs that were a bit higher than usual.

Or it's a bad habit. However, I doubt that.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Ok, in the first match I'll be honest, it looked like RoyR was being a little sloppy, he seemed he was letting his spacing too close to Lucario and left himself to be hit.

But he did a great job overall, much better than me, so I shouldn't be criticizing too badly lol. He definitely chose his steps wisely.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
For the record he would more then likely do it to make it easier to avoid retaliation from his opponent.

But spamming it is something else entirely.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I would say it's a spammable tactic.

To a point.

And it didn't beat Azen so clearly it's not enough.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
ugh... f-air, f-air and some more f-air with full jumps?! this is pretty much what he did the whole entire match with some overb's and f-smashes. it's not impressive to just use those attacks over and over. but hey he's ranking high in tournaments which is good.

Timbers

check me out

To a point.

this

Azen figured Roy out really quickly.

I mean, I can't count the amount of times Azen ROLLED into Roy while he was airborne, utilted him, and actually went unpunished for it like everytime.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I bow down to you sir and your amazing observational skills.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Roy R likes to Full Hop to fast falling retreating fairs.

That seems to be his take on covering that 'blind spot'. To an extent it kinda works. But repeating it too often is horrible.

At least it's less aggrivating than most competitive people's games, which are spamming projectiles until you approach to a certain point then roll behind you LULZ.

Brian612

Smash Rookie
F***ing.

Sick.

Marth.

But it's just so ******** how Azen survived till like so high percents though -.-. Can you really be that good at DI??

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why would you subject your eyes to such an abomination?

Are you a masochist perhaps?

lolz.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace

To a point.

Emblem Lord, you are the biggest hater ever. I'm not one to call people out on being a hater, but god ****, "It didn't beat Azen so clearly your strategy is sux".

Roy_R did well to not get 3stocked by Azen and he had a shot of winning both games? Man, and I'm sorry to say, Azen predicted him just like he predicted that Ken Hoang's spotdodges in melee, I herd that guy is a scrub and doesn't even play Brawl.

/me is a hater as well.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Emblem Lord, you are the biggest hater ever. I'm not one to call people out on being a hater, but god ****, "It didn't beat Azen so clearly your strategy is sux".
Did he say that?

He said you can't full jump the whole **** time, Azen figured it out rather easily and punished him for it.

Top Bottom