• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTENTION ALL TOURNEY HOSTS - Ban Ledge Stalling

MattNF

Smash Lord
I knew this day was coming soon. Everyone is now realizing that no, Brawl is NOT a competitive fighting game. All this time, people have been quoting Sirlin left and right to protect items being banned, stages being banned, etc etc. Now, when suddenly you people realize Planking is the only way to basically win, you start talking about "honour". "fighting properly" and "cheapness" when that's exactly what Sirlin was against first and foremost? It's hilarious, really, how hypocritical even the more experienced players are acting just to cling to that one hope that Brawl can function competitively.

The whole method of banning Planking is completely ******** in the first place. I mean, a time limit on staying on the ledge? ****ing foolproof, right? No. Try enforcing that at a tournament. Go on. Then be prepared to be laughed at when you kick someone out of a tournament for ledgestalling 9 seconds instead of 10, and not ever being taken seriously again. No, really.

The point here is that Brawl is a competitively broken game, and watching even Mew2King become the biggest scrub I have ever seen is absolutely pathetic. Face it guys - you chose the wrong game to adopt.
You're completely right. Brawl, sadly, just isn't that great of a competitive game. Planking proves this. There is no way to ban planking. If you have a time limit on planking, how are you going to enforce that? Is a judge supposed to stand around and watch every match with a timer in hand, timing every time everyone goes on the ledge? What if the limit is 10 seconds, and someone accidentally stays on the ledge for 10.05 seconds? Are you going to ban them for that? On the other hand, if you DON'T ban planking, you could have a potentially gamebreaking stategy that would further unbalance characters, screw up all the training a person has done with a character, and make the game even MORE n00b friendly than it already is.

It's a shame Brawl has come to this. What could have been the ultimate Smash game turned into a huge dissapointment. Everyone should just go back to Melee or even SSB64 (with online play using an emulator). You won't find these ridiculous problems there.

Milos

Smash Lord
I don't play brawl that often.

I'm hosting a melee tournament soon though, and there's a zero tolerance policy for ledge stalling. the two posters above me are fools. smash is a game, even at a competitive level you're supposed to have fun playing it. that's why if anybody stalls the ledge when their opponent isn't invincible or returning to the stage, they are going to get kicked out.

I don't care if they think it's unfair. I'm giving good warning, and it's warned in the thread as well.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
You guys are complaining about an overpowered defensive tactic in a game where offensive actions aren't very rewarding generally. In games such as Guilty Gear where offensive action is the heart of the fighting system there are characters who are so rewarding offensively that they are considered unfair and have been banned. Sure, you can still defeat them with enough skill but that's not the argument I'm going for here. The ledge stall/plank would be a similar scenario to the GG analogy, except instead of offense it deals with a defensive strategy.

I agree with M2K on this. I do not play Brawl competitively (Melee player) but I always keep up with the Brawl metagame and other aspects of high level play.

It's sad to see that a smash game has sunk to such a level

-I read the entire thread, 6/10 lol. I wanted to give my input before I left

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
Well if Pit is spaming arrows on one side of the stage, and your on the edge hiding from arrows on the other side, who is guilty of stalling?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
At my first brawl tournament I tried doing this and I got called gay and two people got really mad at me.

I'm way too scared to play mk in tournaments now.

Excelsus5100

Smash Rookie
I'm also up for this ban M2K. I don't want to travel to outside states seeing people do this with no honor. I like to fight my opponents.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
I would like to have seen what happened if teh_spamerer took his planking/ledgecamping/whatever you call it to the absolute max. :p
He could beat M2K then imo. Though probably wouldn't let him be gay, so it won't happen really. M2K isn't going to just walk into it. Though he might just try to get more % on you then camp. I dunno.
-Rei

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
FWI, I plank better than both spammer and plank himself, I just choose not to do it in tourneys because I have honor and want to win by fighting
Just because something is dishonorable doesn't mention it a ban, M2K. In Street Fighter, a lot of people thought "turtling" was dishonorable, but some of the top players were the best campers there are.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
theres a difference with something being fair and beatable than something completely unfair and broken

should i start planking to show you how gay it is? you guys (everyone in the world) already seem to have trouble beating me as is do you want me to show you the impossible, because a lot of ppl will only believe it after that it seems

TP

Smash Master
Mew2King, I agree with pretty much everything you have said. If I were you, I would do it in the second match of a tournament set. Make it clear you can win the normal way in the first match, then show everybody planking's potential in the second. That way the message gets across and the other person doesn't have to wonder what the set would have been like normally.

Also, I LOVE that you chose a Batman avatar because you play as the Dark Knight.

Fletch

Smash Master
should i start planking to show you how gay it is? you guys (everyone in the world) already seem to have trouble beating me as is do you want me to show you the impossible, because a lot of ppl will only believe it after that it seems
I don't see why you don't do it. It's not dishonorable if it's within the game mechanics and not banned; if you want something done about it, you probably are going to have to abuse it like you said to show people that it is completely broken.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
The only reason M2K wants planking banned is so he can take your money a lot easier, he's already proven he only plays the Smash games for money, so anything threatening the ease he takes other people's money is "unhonourable" and "cheap".

To see such scrubby words coming from the top Smash player is absolutely pathetic, and if anyone else was saying the same things as M2K about cheapness and honour they'd be laughed all the way out of Smashboards. Grow a god **** spine, people.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
So explain Spammer's play style. Or let me give you a style in general:

1. Pick MK.
2. Hit the person once. Shouldn't be too hard with a Tornado.
3. Run away the entire match.

Given the fact that MK is fast, has multiple double jumps, a glide, and a tornado/forward+b that allows him to travel safely across certain distances it would be simple to avoid getting hit . D-air camping -> tornado wreaks havoc. The only thing he doesn't gain in this scenario is random bursts of invincibility.

Making your opponent chase you will almost always leave them open for another attack.

There are many styles of play that have not been exposed that can be proven to be as gay as Planking.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
wow Blackshadow (btw Death Born is a much cooler character), you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I am very good at planking it is not hard and takes no skill, it just ruins the game and I don't want brawl to boil down to that, which is why I am getting it banned around EC and trying to get it banned internationally. Otherwise I would be tempted to use it and that makes Brawl not even about fighting but about cheap play abuse.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
wow Blackshadow (btw Death Born is a much cooler character), you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I am very good at planking it is not hard and takes no skill, it just ruins the game and I don't want brawl to boil down to that, which is why I am getting it banned around EC and trying to get it banned internationally. Otherwise I would be tempted to use it and that makes Brawl not even about fighting but about cheap play abuse.
QFT

Especially the F-Zero part.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
m2k it wouldnt matter if you won every tourney with planking, since you win every tourney without it. maybe if like...chibo picked MK and won a tourney ^^

Flayl

Smash Hero
Well if Pit is spaming arrows on one side of the stage, and your on the edge hiding from arrows on the other side, who is guilty of stalling?
Nobody. You don't have to plank to hang from the edge. Whoever has the highest % will have to approach. That's not what this thread is about.
InfernoOmni said:
Just because something is dishonorable doesn't mention it a ban, M2K. In Street Fighter, a lot of people thought "turtling" was dishonorable, but some of the top players were the best campers there are.
Turtling and planking aren't comparable. You're not invincible while turtling.

To those riding Sirlin's nuts: If a tactic makes a game uncompetetitive and unfun for everybody, then there are 2 solutions: Let the game die, or save the game. The question is, is Brawl worth saving?

Play Melee.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero

Easiest way is to ban bigger stages. I would post more but I am at work XD. Either way your looking at a game that is about patience. Nothing new if you are into hardcore gaming as you say you are ( and trust me I AM into those scenes you talk about in your aol blog ). Halo 3 is essentailly the same way if you watched certain matches. CS is too at extreme high level.

My 1 cent because I am too lazy to do a full 2

SUPAA

Smash Rookie
Sounds like a good enough idea, my brother does to me all the time so it only helps the game go on.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The reason M2K doesn't plank is because he'd lose if he did it. Anyone halfway worth their salt can deal with it... and he knows it. He just doesn't like it, so he just talks about this one time in the one place.

scruuuuuuuub.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
The reason M2K doesn't plank is because he'd lose if he did it. Anyone halfway worth their salt can deal with it... and he knows it. He just doesn't like it, so he just talks about this one time in the one place.

scruuuuuuuub.
we need an m2k vs os battle
i wanna see planking that would make plank himself envious.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd just MM him under the pretext that he gets a free uncharged d-smash on me and then goes for the ledge. I win if I can beat him while he constantly ledgecamps, he wins if he can beat me by constantly ledgecamping. Getting off the ledge to attack me or changing his strategy proves it isn't broken and there are ways around it.

Top Bottom