• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Neb

Smash Lord
Is that inescapable? I believe some characters can only airdodge, and that gets them hit anyways....
I think it depends. In the event that they are left just hovering low to the ground, its pretty much easy pickings unless they have a dragon punch or a swift, and disjointed aerial or special. If they land, they have a bit of hitstun before they can shield, which comes out on frame 2, IIRC. Its a really nice scenario, but can be difficult to set-up.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
I think it depends. In the event that they are left just hovering low to the ground, its pretty much easy pickings unless they have a dragon punch or a swift, and disjointed aerial or special. If they land, they have a bit of hitstun before they can shield, which comes out on frame 2, IIRC. Its a really nice scenario, but can be difficult to set-up.
I get in this situation every once and while, but by the time i realize it its really to late cause i mash A and im already jabbing, which is pretty good to cause it racks up decent damage and the opponent doesnt really see it coming so they are stuck in it longer than usual.

Noa.

Smash Master
Hmmmm, against the players I fight I fastfall Nairs onto them. I've become used to how a complete and incomplete Nair sounds, so when the situation pops up, I use a smash by instinct. I always do this tactic a few times in a match, cause I tend to use this to set up kills.

cutter

Smash Champion
At 0% or other low percents you can use Utilt to juggle fastfallers like Fox/Falco or fatties like DDD a few times and then follow up with a Nair for a pretty damaging combo. If you read your opponent's DI after the Nair you can double jump into another Nair, read their DI again, and then up B them for even more damage.

Other than that I really don't use Utilt that much. Uair and up B serve as much better anti-air attacks.

K@0S

Smash Ace
I like full hop fair on shield, then FF nair behind (if your opponent tries to roll back, go farther) and either reverse grab or up-b if he shields, up-tilt at low % (juggle setup) if he eats the nair or a smash (usmash is often the best) at higher %. You can also bair instead of nair, which is generally safer but the reward is lower.

Of course, you shouldn't become predictable with that.

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
I never use up-tilt. ever. Does everybody use it? Do you do anything specific with it?
I use up-tilt when ever my opponent is at 0%. First i juggle them with it. And after a few hits i SH Nair. It's pretty good. Plus i believe utilt kills light weight character at a high %

wangston

Smash Lord
win di'ing with gw should I use an aerial then a bucket or should I straight bucket? If I should use and aerial what one should I use?

Noa.

Smash Master
I just came back from a tournament. I was playing an Olimar on Frigate Orpheon, and I was UpBing toward the left edge. As I was recovering, the Olimar was standing quite a distance from the ledge, and sent out a pikmin to grab. As I reached the peak of UpB, I was suddenly pulled under the stage, where I fell to my death.

I was shocked as to what happened. The Olimar main was shocked, and so was a spectator. I ended up losing the match (which I would've lost anyway).

A short while later, I was talking to my friend about it, and he said "You know that G&W can be grabbed out of his UpB like Snake?" I said "Yeah, I know."

There, I realized what happened. I was grabbed out of my UpB. I never thought that it would happen, but it did. Despite the fact that I lost, I was strangely a little giddy. It never happened to me before, and I was speechless.

Have you ever been grabbed out of your UpB? It really doesn't seem like a possible situation, but it happened to me.

So yeah, just a random blurb.

Noa.

Smash Master
win di'ing with gw should I use an aerial then a bucket or should I straight bucket? If I should use and aerial what one should I use?
When DIing, use a fastfalled Nair, then bucket. That's how bucket braking works, and it does wonders when you want to live a lot longer than you should.

Sorry for the double post.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
Fast fall a nair cause it has the least amount of frames but be sure you nair before you start to fastfall otherwise you will key yourself to death. After the nair you of course bucket. Of course to get optimal use you want to start off by DIing then the bucket brake. But first i would concentrate on making bucket braking a natural reaction then learn to proper DI with that. It is actually pretty tough to get it down to your first natural reaction, but this is how i learned it and it works very well for me.

EDIT/ sorry Draconoa, we must have started typing at the same time, not trying to steel any of that from ya lol.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Bucket braking is too good.

Playing friendlies today, I survived a full charge shot from Samus at 160% on my last stock and won the match with a tech chased Usmash.
That was the greatest DI in my Smash career :p

But that is where my question comes in.
So after DI, braking, and getting back to the ledge, what is the safest way for G&W to get back on to the stage while hanging on the ledge?

I try to mix it up between things like a ledge hopped Nair, Up B to push somebody who is too close to the edge away, jumping with an airdodge and etc. but against better players I tend to get punished and thrown back to the ledge.

cemo

white walker
depends on the stage and the character you're against.
i like to plank for a few second to see if they try something.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If you're holding onto the ledge and you drop down and under the stage and use an uair, will it knock your opponent up if they're standing on the stage above you? (Sorry if that was worded confusingly)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
If they are standing, it will only move them slightly to the side. If they arent touching the stage, the air effect will push them.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
This is kind of a random thing I thought about today...

So obviously G&W suffers from the same issue as Snake in that if grabbed out of Up B and left to fall he can no longer Up B. (Well I shouldn't say he suffers from the problem because this should never realistically happen if you know how to recover properly...)

So Snake can drop a C4 and explode it on himself to gain back is recovery to make it back safely and this is where my thought came in.

Under normal circumstances G&W will never be able to hurt himself like Snake does but there is one thing that does. That being a 1 on Judgement/Side B.

Would that 12% G&W takes from getting a 1 reset his Up B?

Kind of a pointless question I suppose because a) when will you really be grabbed out of Up B? and b) good luck getting a 1 even if it did work; but it just popped in my head and I was curious as to if anybody had any idea :p

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Under normal circumstances G&W will never be able to hurt himself like Snake does but there is one thing that does. That being a 1 on Judgement/Side B.

Would that 12% G&W takes from getting a 1 reset his Up B?

Kind of a pointless question I suppose because a) when will you really be grabbed out of Up B? and b) good luck getting a 1 even if it did work; but it just popped in my head and I was curious as to if anybody had any idea :p
No. Taking damage from the SideB does not inflict knockback on G&W and therefore cannot reset his UpB. Heck the attack doesn't even have knockback period.

a) I have never been grabbed out of my UpB. It shouldn't be an issue unless you are not experienced enough with G&W yet.
b) Getting a 1 is impossible on the first / second throw of the game. So this would be highly unlikely even if it did work.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It's a great idea to use G&W vs Sonic. It's a fairly good matchup for you, just know when to dtilt. Also check the stickied matchup thread; we just went over Sonic not so long ago.

also regarding the grab out of upB thing, I have never had it happen to me.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Press down on the analog or cstick when you are already in the Dair animation; What you are doing is fastfalling the dair, but since G&W's fastfall is so slow, the dair goes slower.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
This one goes out to the pros/ if you've won money in a tourney and your good.

why do you use the f-tilt?

(i don't wanna hear, "theoretically, it would be good in suchandsuch situation") I wanna hear when and why it is incorporated in real matches. I'm guessing that its always on accident.

Don't let the post count fool you. i use to be gameandwatchmewin with an impressive postcount of 30 something. Publix is my tourny name and where shopping is a pleasure.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
It does more damage than D-tilt. It is slower and more punishable. It also can KO, although if you are using chair to KO you are 90% of the time better off using a smash, even though they are a little slower they are much safer on block, so the time they get to shield is worth the fact that you won't get destroyed for using it.

I can't think of a time that occurs regularly where F-tilt is the best choice....

Also, I am considering getting a job at Publix, do you think you could hire me?

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
k i'm kinda new to gaw and i don't see a thread about it, so i was wondering if someone could let me know all the attacks the bucket can absorb. i thought it'd be lying around somewhere, but i can't seem to find it.

i know most projectiles are in, but there are a couple a-attacks that i'm wondering about, like lucas's up/d-smash, zss's d-smash etc.

links, if there is a thread?

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
Well the only one that i know of is ZSS down smash, it gives the highest tier bucket. Also (just adding fyi) on corneria the arwings lasers give the highest bucket and you only need to stand on them.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
well, i guess u don't know about lucas's up/d-smashes? or his f-tilt? (i play regularly against a lucas, but i know the matchup is awesome already. i just wanna know if there's more.) and gaw's chef? does that fill it or not?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Chef fills the bucket, but I doubt it really matters since nobody* ever uses it.

*Blah blah situational blah blah edgeguarding blah blah eat a ****

Top Bottom