• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I've never seen this before, you guys know what it is?
It's a 9.

Anyway, I've been told a bunch of times that I need to work on my edgeguarding. I'm not really even sure how to edgeguard except for turtle, fishbowl, and upB on the ledge and dtilt and dsmash when near the ledge. Can anyone help me with this?

Rajam

Smash Champion
Im kind of lazy, so forgive me if this has been previously asked:

How bucket brake does exactly works (like step-by-step?) ? Are there more ways to do it and which is the easiest? Can i bucket brake by: doing an air dodge and then quickly use the bucket (without an aerial)?

Publix

Smash Apprentice
chef can be safe and take away your oponents options. i've been wanting to try and RAR of the stage and f air to stage spike. TO me it seems best to stay on the platform and punish their land or dtilt near the ledge, then all they can do is jump or ledge drop. Once they're in the air it should be easy to nair or fair or shield grab kinda.

yeah and taunting works wonders

Anauel

Smash Cadet
Im kind of lazy, so forgive me if this has been previously asked:

How bucket brake does exactly works (like step-by-step?) ? Are there more ways to do it and which is the easiest? Can i bucket brake by: doing an air dodge and then quickly use the bucket (without an aerial)?
Bucket brake stops your momentum. In order to bucket brake you just have to DI the hit and try to nair as soon as possible. After the nair animation, just down b and you're good to go.

You can actually do it airdodging but it's slower than doing an aerial. Also, you do a nair because it has the fastest animation.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
It's a 9.

Anyway, I've been told a bunch of times that I need to work on my edgeguarding. I'm not really even sure how to edgeguard except for turtle, fishbowl, and upB on the ledge and dtilt and dsmash when near the ledge. Can anyone help me with this?
I don't think you saw what happened.

He was in the animation of using his dsmash, but he was falling off the ledge and then suddenly turned THEN 9ed. I'm not THAT shallow XD

My question is, how in the heck was he falling WHILE using dsmash, then cancelled it somehow into a 9?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think you saw what happened.

He was in the animation of using his dsmash, but he was falling off the ledge and then suddenly turned THEN 9ed. I'm not THAT shallow XD

My question is, how in the heck was he falling WHILE using dsmash, then cancelled it somehow into a 9?
THat's what I thought at first too, but it's not the case. You need to remember that when G&W uses judgement he brings the hammer behind his head first. This was what it probably was.

That's what I was going to say but then I looked at the video again and it's definitely the dsmash animation. My guess is that as he dashed off the ledge the dsmash data was input the frame before G&W left the ledge, giving it just enough time to start up. This is all just a guess though.

I'll just put this in the "blame Sakurai" pile.

Tero.

Smash Champion
It's a 9.

Try Fair and slowfalled dairs.
GaW EG is ****.

comboking

Smash Master
Make it more like the one on the Ike boards.
I am going to secondary G&W is there something I need to know. Just ask and I will brawl you.
Thanks Sincerly,
ComboKing

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Make it more like the one on the Ike boards.
I am going to secondary G&W is there something I need to know. Just ask and I will brawl you.
Thanks Sincerly,
ComboKing

Here is what you need to know. You don't come into G&W's territory making demands, saying your gunna secondary him, and ordering us to "Make it more like the one on the Ike boards. That's some nasty manners, son.

but since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you the secret. Just chef dude. Do it in a tournament. neutral b just like metanight, xcept is hella more crazy cuz its a projectile. Cant punish no projectile.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Have any of you guys named your turtles? If yes, what name did you give it?

K@0S

Smash Ace
Some people call my turtle Christophe Willem (famous singer in france whose nickname is The Turtle), and sometimes when I bair they yell "CHRISTOPHE WILLEM !!"

Gates

Banned via Warnings
My turtle's name depends on the color of my G&W.

Cyan - Leonardo
Red - Raphael
Blue - Donatello
Orange - Michaelangelo

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
In regards to the ridiculous video with a midair dsmash, i've solved it.

Take a look at this image:

This is the frame in which you see dsmash, with both hammers being held up.

Now let's take a look at what a real dsmash looks like:

See a difference? The G&W in the midair dsmash has a nose sticking out and to the left, but he doesn't in a real dsmash. Therefore what we see in that video is NOT a dsmash, but in fact just the sideB. You see two hammers because this is what happens when you Bstick judgment. I do it all the time.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Whats bair breaking?
I was reading the comments on the combo video and someone said something about a bair break to judgement 9.
Is it really technical or something. I really want to know what this is.
Thanks

Publix

Smash Apprentice
My turtle's name depends on the color of my G&W.

Cyan - Leonardo
Red - Raphael
Blue - Donatello
Orange - Michaelangelo
yeah. i'm steeling that. Crap i use black...hmm?

And to UTD, Phenomenal effort, and your vids are sweet. There was one where you were like "I ain't approaching no way, no how".

Gates

Banned via Warnings
yeah. i'm steeling that.
Cool. I've never had something I've written engraved in steel before.

Whats bair breaking?
I was reading the comments on the combo video and someone said something about a bair break to judgement 9.
Thanks
He probably meant bucket breaking but typed bair breaking instead. My guess is that it's bucket braking with bair instead of a nair, but I don't know why you would do that since bair takes longer.

comboking

Smash Master
Here is what you need to know. You don't come into G&W's territory making demands, saying your gunna secondary him, and ordering us to "Make it more like the one on the Ike boards. That's some nasty manners, son.

but since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you the secret. Just chef dude. Do it in a tournament. neutral b just like metanight, xcept is hella more crazy cuz its a projectile. Cant punish no projectile.
I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be mean

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
Whats bair breaking?
Thanks

lol. if you watch the video there is a clip where a peach gets her shield broken by a bair. then she gets 9ed.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Cool. I've never had something I've written engraved in steel before.

Does any think that the best way to approach is to not approach at all and punish them when they approach?

Noa.

Smash Master
Does any think that the best way to approach is to not approach at all and punish them when they approach?
Well, G&W isn't exactly known for punishing mistakes. We can punish, but not too well.

And, by not aproaching, you're limiting one of G&W's best moves, bair. It is one of the best aproaches in the game, and one that many other characters would want.

We can punish people, but usually we do a better job aproaching ourselves.

Besides, it's not like G&W can really force oponnents to aproach. Chef isn't exactly threatening.

cemo

white walker
You can camp with bairs instead of approaching, and they're even less punishable Draconoa >.>

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks errbody. I've been playing nothing but crazy good Snake, but last night i went to a smashfest and played a bunch of characters that can't shield-drop grenades or have gay up and forward tilts.

Noa.

Smash Master
Ok, so G&W isn't a bad camper. But most characters can still outcamp him, and I do still believe he'll usually do better when he approaches. Perfectly spaced bairs are unpunishable (for the most part) anyway. Camping really depends on the character I suppose.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't worry, those cases are extremely obvious and if you're smart, you're not going to jump into the **** like an idiot.

Like vs Marth's Up-B out of shield and Snake's grenade shielding.

Against Marth...I'm not saying much more. Against Snake, just grab him if he likes grenade shielding.

And against those guys, you'll just do a retreating B-air and not attempt to touch them, as it will hit them if they try to punish you most of the time.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
if wolf perfectly spaces bair shield (assume i didnt powershield) what are my best OoS option?

i know that if you try and grab or fair your going to eat an attack in the face v_v. its extremely irritating, and my gaw is relatively new so idk what i should be looking for in these situations.

Noa.

Smash Master
Don't worry, those cases are extremely obvious and if you're smart, you're not going to jump into the **** like an idiot.

Like vs Marth's Up-B out of shield and Snake's grenade shielding.

Against Marth...I'm not saying much more. Against Snake, just grab him if he likes grenade shielding.

And against those guys, you'll just do a retreating B-air and not attempt to touch them, as it will hit them if they try to punish you most of the time.
A2's right. Just be careful with your bairs, and you shouldn't get punished. Because Marth and Snake can punis us for poorly spaced bairs is why they're our worst matchups.

if wolf perfectly spaces bair shield (assume i didnt powershield) what are my best OoS option?

i know that if you try and grab or fair your going to eat an attack in the face v_v. its extremely irritating, and my gaw is relatively new so idk what i should be looking for in these situations.
I don't have any experience against a Wolf. After he lands, do you have enough time to run up and dtilt him, or maybe even Usmash him? I honestly don't know anything about Wolf.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I don't have any experience against a Wolf. After he lands, do you have enough time to run up and dtilt him, or maybe even Usmash him? I honestly don't know anything about Wolf.
only if he mispaces. 99/100 times you just eat a fsmash (or ftilt, ive seen one wolf fair, but im sure) to the face.

if you chill in your shield and he fsmashes you you can grab him after. but good good wolfs just sit there and wait for you to be an idiot v_v....

Noa.

Smash Master
only if he mispaces. 99/100 times you just eat a fsmash (or ftilt, ive seen one wolf fair, but im sure) to the face.

if you chill in your shield and he fsmashes you you can grab him after. but good good wolfs just sit there and wait for you to be an idiot v_v....
Hmmm. Maybe you could land behind him with a bair. Occasionally use a dair to switch it up a bit.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Do a full hopped bair OOS.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
I'ld listen to Hylian. BUt here's my input. if you have tap jump on you can up-b out of shield. i don't have enough experience with wolf, but he can't fsmash invincibility frames. i think you should be able to up-b out of shield anyways, but you would have to press x or y and then up-b, but i'm not too sure. I just got an idea though

question: Can G&W up-b OOS without tap jump on and have it be as effective as with tap jump on?

cemo

white walker
it's easier with tap jump on, to do it without tap jump you'd just have to hit jump before up-b.

Top Bottom