• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Noa.

Smash Master
When I'm knocked offstage by Kirby and I'm returning back, how do I deal with the wall of bairs that he throws out. I tend to have some trouble in this matchup, and this is one of the biggest problems I face when I fight Kirby.

Should I just fastfall an airdoge? Or can I beat it out with one of our moves?

kaak

Smash Journeyman
I've got trouble hitting with smashes against good players with good spacing, and 'cause these are his only good killing moves except fair, i would like to know how you set up a smash or how you can trick a good player in getting hit by a smash.

thanks

Noa.

Smash Master
Have you tried using autocancelled nairs into smashes? That usually works espicially well with dsmash, though it works with fsmash if you predict right.

Also, while doing a running usmash, if your oponnent usually spotdoges it or shields it and then attacks, you could charge it up and release it when they are vulnerable.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried using autocancelled nairs into smashes? That usually works espicially well with dsmash, though it works with fsmash if you predict right.

Also, while doing a running usmash, if your oponnent usually spotdoges it or shields it and then attacks, you could charge it up and release it when they are vulnerable.
yeah but cancelled nair players can shield against it en running u smash (charge) is predictable

Noa.

Smash Master
yeah but cancelled nair players can shield against it en running u smash (charge) is predictable
With the running usmash, you mix it up with charged and uncharged. And you autocancel nair to smash your opponnent while you are landing with it. That way you aren't shielded.

Srsly?

Smash Rookie
@ Draconoa44: I think if your having some major problems with the bairing kirby, try DIing to the edge then upB onto the stage followed immediately by nair. When you do this your have the invincibility frames during the popup to counter, and nairing out of the paraschute if and only if your back on the edge at this point. If you can nair you will fast fall and if your lucky, hit the kirby on the way down, then you will safely be back on the stage. Hope this helped.

cemo

white walker
So, has anyone tried dthrow gimping people on Frigate when the stage is flipping?
Since it plants, if you time it right you'd be able to jump away, while potentially dragging them under the stage or something.

Why is a stickied thread getting bumped?

I like chef on green greens. It's really gay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=492NiHHben4&fmt=18
Green Greens is banned here, so I've got what, Japes?

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
So, has anyone tried dthrow gimping people on Frigate when the stage is flipping?
Since it plants, if you time it right you'd be able to jump away, while potentially dragging them under the stage or something.

Green Greens is banned here, so I've got what, Japes?
Yes i have actually done something of the sort. For a while i have been joking as trying to make this an effective stratagy, but one day i grabbed my friend but i simply just held him and it flipped, we both got sent under but thanks to gaw's godly recovery i survived while he simply died. I dont quite understand the mechanics of how the stage works and where you are sent when it flips. If you knew then you could actually effectivly use this.

cemo

white walker
From what I gather, the Right Side is more likely to star KO on the first transformation, and the left side on the second transformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SW2M9GtHks

Did they die because they were in the downsmash animation or something? Or just because they're there? If they were teching/rolling would it do the same?

This could be an awesome stage for us ):

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
the Falcon was at a fairly high % and i just held him and hoped he wouldnt get released in time, which he didnt.

And about the tech rolling, i imagine that the same effect would happen as long as they dont get on there feet and into the air. I assume that as long as they are in contact with the floor they will get trapped when it flips.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Does tech to up b beat g&w's techchase (as a g&w).
You might have to be more specific.

However, if G&W1 dthrows G&W2 and G&W2 techs in place, the G&W1 can punish with a grab, or jab, and possibly dtilt. That and I believe if G&W2 techrolls then G&W1 can still follow up and punish because G&W has such a slow roll. That and a grab should come out faster than UpB.

See: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141781

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Okay I didn't know how fast his tech was, but if you say so.
Is there a list somewhere about which characters you just shouldn't bother tech chasing? (due to a long or fast roll/tech roll). A few top tiers off the top of your head would be great too.

Noa.

Smash Master
This list of characters are generally difficult to tech chase. The most are on top, with the more difiicult ones at the bottom. Note that not all characters are listed. Characters not listed are not too hard to tech chase. Some of these can be techchased, but it is not easy. Or that's what OBM said anyway.

t link
mario
samus
zss
sheik
lizardon
captain
pit
snake
dk
fox
luigi
ike
marth
yoshi
ddd
falco
ivysaur
peach
wolf
link
zelda
squirtle

Noa.

Smash Master
I know it was a joke post, but the turtle and all of G&W's other moves are formed by those shadowbugs in SSE. G&W can produce them without end, and he uses it in battle to do his random attacks.

Edrid

Smash Rookie
I'm looking at starting G&W. I've started practicing Bucket Braking, and now I have a few questions:

Control Scheme for G&W? (Tap Jump ON/OFF?, C or B-stick?, X or Z for Grab?, What do I use Z for if X is grab?)

Where should I look to really get started on G&W? I've read the stickies and skimmed some guides, but I'm really bad at being able to sort through useless info and good info.

Does practicing against others make perfect at first, or are there some AT's (besides Bucket Braking) that I should look into?

Thank you in advance!

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Question:

Is Dash grabbing as an edgeguard/off-stage type thing (ex. someone recovers but comes a bit above stage) since d-throw if you do a dash grab to the edge and you are like standing over edge will spike if they di off stage. opponent loses an option out of d-throw which might help w/ mindgames.

not exactly a question but i wanted feedback/ideas/flames (flames not as much) on that strat.

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm looking at starting G&W. I've started practicing Bucket Braking, and now I have a few questions:

Control Scheme for G&W? (Tap Jump ON/OFF?, C or B-stick?, X or Z for Grab?, What do I use Z for if X is grab?)

Where should I look to really get started on G&W? I've read the stickies and skimmed some guides, but I'm really bad at being able to sort through useless info and good info.

Does practicing against others make perfect at first, or are there some AT's (besides Bucket Braking) that I should look into?

Thank you in advance!
For G&W's control scheme, the default works fine. You would want to have tap jump on since we can then UpB OoS, which is very useful for G&W. B-sticking is pointless because G&W's specials aren't good enough to warrant a B-stick. If you want to have X or Y as grab, that's personal preference.

Well, the guides are pretty useful so I would suggest reading those. But since you already have you could just analyze some videos from pro G&Ws. Also, look at the most recent threads that have been posted and come back here every once and a while to check new posts. You learn more about a character that way.

I don't really understand your last question, but G&W doesn't have any notable ATs apart from Bucket Braking. I would suggest learning autocanceled nair to smash combos, but those tend to come naturally to G&W players and if you keep using him it you'll eventually start doing it.

Question:

Is Dash grabbing as an edgeguard/off-stage type thing (ex. someone recovers but comes a bit above stage) since d-throw if you do a dash grab to the edge and you are like standing over edge will spike if they di off stage. opponent loses an option out of d-throw which might help w/ mindgames.

not exactly a question but i wanted feedback/ideas/flames (flames not as much) on that strat.
It might work, sometimes. The problem is that it's too situational. First, your opponnent has to overshoot the ledge. Then, you have to hope that they DI away from the stage when you Dthrow them, and they probably wouldn't if they can already tech the Dthrow. And last, the Dthrow spike, I don't think it's that strong, so I'm sure most opponnents can meteor-cancel it. Besides all those, G&W has better edgeguarding options like an offstage fair, or even dtilt.

But it still does look WAY too flashy, so if the chance ever comes up, I would do it.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
But it still does look WAY too flashy, so if the chance ever comes up, I would do it.
boldface is exactly what makes it worth using.

I'm pretty sure G&W has a mad edgeguarding game but it's the same reason I take an occasional taunt w/ Luigi (it works occasionally, great de-moralization/distraction tactic since your opponent will probably cry or laugh when they get taunt-spiked)

I'd also guess that even if the opponent meteor-cancels, it might take them by surprise and leave them pretty far under the stage which leads to other stuff (fast-fall b-air comes to mind for me)

thanks though.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
How do you punish an opposing G&W's dair? Seriously, nothing works! Spotdodge, and the landing animation of the move hits you, shield, and the move pushes you away. You can't powershield it either cuz of it's two hitboxes. I get so scared when a G&W is above me. I gotta learn to counter this move, please help. :urg:

Edrid

Smash Rookie
I was playing an Online friendly against a Captain Falcon and I decided to practice edgehogging. Oh my Lord, I got pwned! I would edgehog by holding onto the ledge, wait for him to waste his up+b and come back up, but it seemed as though every time it happened, he would just grab me, send me flying, get back to the stage, and I'd be out a stock!

TL;DR: How do I edgehog properly with G&W? Thank you!

P.S.: (Not SSBB related) Don't you only put one space after a period unless you're doing an MLA style Bibliography? My friend and I have been debating it for awhile now. (/out of place question)

cemo

white walker
Edgehogging uh, time the edgehog better. You can drop off and regrab to refresh invincibility frames.

How do you punish an opposing G&W's dair? Seriously, nothing works! Spotdodge, and the landing animation of the move hits you, shield, and the move pushes you away. You can't powershield it either cuz of it's two hitboxes. I get so scared when a G&W is above me. I gotta learn to counter this move, please help. :urg:
You can up-b it like... everytime? Pretty sure the first hit of the nair beats it too.

Edrid

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I can't believe that it was something so simple. :laugh: I'm off to practice!

K 2

Smash Lord
uhh...A good G&W will never get edgehogged. G&W should angle his up b so that if anyone is grabbing the edge, he will land on the stage. Also, he can cancel his up b into a footstool, so its basically impossible to edgehog him.

Noa.

Smash Master
I swear, there should just be a sticky about what bucket braking is and how to do it. The title would be 'LOOK HERE FOR BUCKET BRAKING!'. No offense to anyone who' asked about it, but man there are so many posts asking more or less that same thing about bucket braking.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I second that. I remember in the Luigi boards for Melee there was a thread about Misfire being 100% random.

Bukit Braking is probably G&W's only advanced technique anyways. Sticky it!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Why would we need to write a new thread? Can't we sticky Phloat's thread?

Noa.

Smash Master
Meh, new is nice and there's no need to ressurect that old thread. Besides, it doesn't have a big title in caps that screams.

Top Bottom