• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Hmm, is there a wifi thread here?

I feel like fighting a Game & Watch, lol

(so I can end up getting owned, most likely lolol)

Noa.

Smash Master
Most G&Ws don't do wifi so we don't have a wifi thread. But I suppose I could play online for a little while. Just message me if you want to fight.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Here are some I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Let's say you hanging on the ledge of Battlefield and want to edge guard someone coming back by hitting them with dair. Let's assume you are 20ft above the blast zone at the bottom of Battlefield. If you fall off the ledge and dair, you'll probably fall 18ft before you are able to jump and UpB back up to safety. But if you fall off the ledge and slow-fall a dair (by hitting cstick down twice) you'll probably only fall 6ft or so. You can probably even slow-fall another dair again before having to jump and UpB back on stage.

2) Another good use for slow-fall dair is to mindgame the opponent. If they are shielding and you are some distance above them, you can dair normally, land on the ground, and get punished because they know the timing of your attack and will grab you out of shield. Or, you can mix it up by slow-falling the dair right before (or at the same moment) you hit their shield. This causes the second hitbox of dair to delay which can mess up their timing for grabbing you.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know how to slow-fall a dair you basically just press the C-stick down again while performing the attack. For example, jump in the air, use dair by pressing C-stick down. At any time during the dair, press C-stick down again to force it to slow-fall. Keep in mind you cannot input the slow-fall command while in hit stun, ie, against the blocks on Green Greens. You have to wait til you finishing hitting objects before you can trigger the slow-fall.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
is using the hammer of judgment an effictive strategy when the opponent is at low percentages?

Random Question

Smash Cadet
I was playing game and watch against mario on fd once and i did a dthrow next to the ledge and it spiked him? has anyone ever done this before?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Are you kidding? Judgment is a very important element of G&W's gameplay. It's one of the ways I beat MK.

When you get MK in a freefall state after catching one of his B moves with your UpB, you normally will punish him with fair (for 16%) or a smash attack if they are at lethal percent. But if they are between 8-80% I normally use judgment. It's a 1/8 chance of getting off a free stock, or 1/7 if you attempted before.

Even if you don't get judgment, you still do damage. A 2 means you can use it again. An 8 leads to a nair follow up, lots of dmg.

EDIT:
@Random Quesiton guy: If you are standing near a ledge, grab someone, and dthrow them, they can go straight down if they are holding the control stick in that direction (DI away from the stage). If they are holding the control stick inward, toward the middle of the stage, they will just plop back on stage instead.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Lately I've been seeing a lot about bucket canceling, and I get killed at pretty low %'s with G&W sometimes, so it has me curious. How do you perform this? I read something about how to do it, but it was pretty unclear.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
k so i've seen vids of gaws 'planking' on the edge with a slow falling nair.

whenever i try to do this, i can't make it back to the stage without using my upB (in other words, my second jump doesn't make it high enough to grab the edge).

is there a special way to push fully backwards and use nair at the same time?
i'm thinking it may have something to do with the cstick, but idk.

iPikmin

Smash Cadet
k so i've seen vids of gaws 'planking' on the edge with a slow falling nair.

whenever i try to do this, i can't make it back to the stage without using my upB (in other words, my second jump doesn't make it high enough to grab the edge).

is there a special way to push fully backwards and use nair at the same time?
i'm thinking it may have something to do with the cstick, but idk.
i think you have to push your analog stick AWAY from the ledge, not pushing down, since it actually makes you fall faster.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
yeah, but i can't nair and go backwards at the exact same time.

to get off the ledge i press back, then nair, and push backwards again (to get some horizontal movement) but by the time the nair is complete, i'm usually too far from the ledge to regrab.

when i see it in the vids, it looks like the gaws are holding backwards the whole time and nairing. unless they're just doing what i said ^ there.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
My advice is to never use Judgement. It's rarely worth the results.

I heard UTD Zac say that he uses it against MKs when they're falling though, so idk, it could be good in a few very rare situations. I wouldn't advise using it more than 2 or 3 times a stock though.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
I heard UTD Zac say that he uses it against MKs when they're falling though, so idk, it could be good in a few very rare situations. I wouldn't advise using it more than 2 or 3 times a stock though.
So basically, it should only be used to punish your opponent's laggy moves but not as much because of its random results, correct?

cutter

Smash Champion
If your opponent is at 20-70%, it would be a good time to fire off a Judgment if you haven't used it; you'll have a 1 in 7 chance (1 and 2 will not show up on your first side B) of erasing their stock. If they're at 80+ just punish them with a smash.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is at 20-70%, it would be a good time to fire off a Judgment if you haven't used it; you'll have a 1 in 7 chance (1 and 2 will not show up on your first side B) of erasing their stock. If they're at 80+ just punish them with a smash.
I'll take that into consideration, but now I'm curious about something that you just stated.

Is there a list of the rate of which the numbers that may appear when using Judgment or are they randomly generated(besides the fact that 1&2 won't appear on the first execution of Judgment)?

cemo

white walker
try to hit it with a weak fair/bair instead.
from my experience you want something with as little knockback as possible for gimping diddy.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Is there a list of the rate of which the numbers that may appear when using Judgment or are they randomly generated(besides the fact that 1&2 won't appear on the first execution of Judgment)?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
I believe this is in OBM's guide, but I'll repost it here because I'm not entirely sure I have it right either lol.

The first time you use Judgement in a stock, you can only hit between 3 and 9.
The second time you use Judgement in a stock, you can only hit between 2 and 9.
Every subsequent time that stock, you can hit between 1 and 9.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's possible to get 2 through 9 on the first AND second throws of SideB.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
^ lol post 666

Question:
G&W's up-b ***** Diddy's up-b? yes/no?
False.

GW's up-b makes the match-up POSSIBLE lol. Use it a LOT vs diddy.

Motel Vacaville of the West

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
You mean to avoid bananas or...?
(I seriously know nothing about the Diddy matchup :()[/QUOTE]

With Diddy Kong, the ever presence of being on the ground is always the thing.

Flat Surface (FD) + Banana = Ownage

To break this equation, G&W must constantly be up in the the air, and almost never approach Diddy Kong with a Banana in his hand.

All Diddy Kong has to do is Shield Block you're basic and fundamental aerial attacks (B-Air, F-Air, D-Air), and Glide Toss a Banana out of the attack, which can lead to one his Smash attacks.

The pros of using Up-B constantly is...

1. You have the invisibiltiy frames

2. You're going vertically up and not approaching Diddy Kong

3. You're avoiding his Bananas

So in conclusion, just camp. Diddy Kong is a character you have to beat slowly, but surely.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I was in training mode the other day trying to figure out some strategies vs Diddy Kong, and the only reason I asked if G&W's up-b ***** Diddy's up-b is because of what I tested out on the level 9 computer. If you use the up-b near Diddy when he is recovering with up-b, then it will either stage spike him or send him really high, and then you can punish him when he lands with a smash attack. I thought maybe the up-b would be better on Diddy's recovery so you could avoid decay on fair/bair/dair. It's also safer (I think). It probably won't work against humans though.

Motel Vacaville of the West

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
What stage do I CP against Snake?
And a back-up CP stage?
For a Snake CP, I personally like BF....

1. You can lay low against Grenade Spam

2. You can N-Air Snake and "Juggle" him easily with the platforms in the way

3. You can also lay low from C4's if they're on one pf the platforms

4. You can D-Air Snake through the platforms because he's tall

I'll think of more reasons later

As for a back-up CP...

RAINBOW CRUISE

It's the ultimate G&W CP.

All you have to do is U-Air against a low ceiling. Oh yeah, they're D-Tilt locks everywhere too

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Top Bottom