• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet
hey guys, i'm trying to pick up falco as a secondary for marth but i'm having a little trouble finding good situations to land a lazer-lock. the only one i know of so far is Ftilt (around 70%)>lazer. any suggestions? :D

Boofy!

Smash Champion
dthrow>jab1 at a certain percent that i'm unsure of

and bair/uair someones shield while they're close to the edge of a platform to push them off.. if they miss the tech then pew pew

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Dthrow->Jab->Laserlock

Ledge attack->Laserlock

Tbh, it's really damn situational and so you won't find many good situations because there aren't many good situations.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I hope you realize that laser locking is, by no means, any kind of priority when learning Falco.

But since this is a question thread, I will answer.

1. ftilt, laserlock
2. firebird into them, then laserlock
3. get-up attack (if not teched), laserlock
4. Shield pressure off of a platform. Say your opponent is shielding at the edge of a platform. Back air the shield and they will fall off the platform and you can laser lock them most of the time.
5. downthrow > jab > laserlock. (Never done this, though, but I have seen it.)

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet
I hope you realize that laser locking is, by no means, any kind of priority when learning Falco.

1. ftilt, laserlock
4. Shield pressure off of a platform. Say your opponent is shielding at the edge of a platform. Back air the shield and they will fall off the platform and you can laser lock them most of the time.
Thanks man. i appreciate the help. and the only reason im asking about laserlocking is because i already have a decent falco, i just figured i'd ask for some info just in case i need it :)

Boofy!

Smash Champion

1. ftilt, laserlock
im gonna start using this

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Best troll move.

Short hop, firebird diagnol towards the ground in the direction of your opponent.
You will bounce and land behind them.
Proceed to ****. :troll:

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
or BDACUS OOS drop? is it fast enough?
Should work but would be hard to pull of, I think.

There was once a thread with a hack that would allow the cpu to do only one move the whole match. I want to train some shield SDI. Anyone knows the link?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Should work but would be hard to pull of, I think.

There was once a thread with a hack that would allow the cpu to do only one move the whole match. I want to train some shield SDI. Anyone knows the link?
I just think it'd be hilarious to see a Snake utilt our shields at 150% and dying for it from a BDACUS OOS drop.

PandaBear724

Smash Rookie
Any tips on illusion(side b) cancelling? Like what visual indicators help you know when to do it because I've been having some trouble and would like to be able to do it more consistantly.

APartofNothing

Smash Apprentice
For me, to get illusion cancelling, I used sound. You should press the button you use for illusion (usually b but in my case r) after you hear the shhing! noise for the middle longest, and the longest possible while its building up (you should hear something like wind). Sorry for not being so helpful!

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
My falco has been improving a lot lately and I have learned how to do almost all of his AT's (except the BDACUS and illusion canceling) but I've noticed that I have a much harder time fighting shorter characters such as Kirby for some reason. They are harder to hit with the laser which is one thing that I think has something to do with it.

The Short Hop Double Laser Dair and Bair are by far the 3 moves I use the most with the dash attack and the reflector right behind them, but I seem to struggle more against the small characters. I rely on the double laser a good bit to do some of my damage if I can't get a chain grab in to start somebody off, and I'm not sure what I should do to change up the way I play. I do a lot better against taller/bigger characters as they are easier to hit with my ranged techniques, but there's something I'm not doing right. Can anybody give me some tips or advice?

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Against small characters like Kirby, it is important to short hop laser as low to the ground as possible (silent laser), and even then, some characters like Snake can simply crouch to avoid them. Ledge lasers allow multiple lasers to hit crouching characters.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Thanks for the reply. So for shorter characters the single laser works better than the double?

I've never really thought about shooting off the ledge, but that's for sure the next thing I'm going to implement into my game as it sounds really useful. Now that you pointed that strategy out, I guess I need to watch more gameplay of pro Falco users as I haven't watched a whole lot.

That really helped out, so thanks ^_^

~Mello~

Smash Rookie
For small characters, illusion is pretty good to get them in the air (jump and IMMEDIATELY hit side B). I also recommend platform double laser and... GRAB. Seriously, falco's grab is very good for racking up damages, or or for leading into combos(Bdacus, up air, ***, SHDL, ...)

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Against small characters I do tend to use the illusion more, but I try not to overdo it because it's punishable. I guess that makes sense. Maybe I should try to throw grabs in a little more to my metagame against small characters.

I'm kind of the chaingrab or nothing guy usually or I try to throw somebody forwards and finish with a dair if they have good damage. But maybe the grabs will help me out against the smaller people. I didn't use grabs against them as much too because usually smaller characters are usually lighter and you can't chain grab them as well (Jigglypuff for example)

I really like all the tips I've got so far, but if anybody has anything else for fighting small characters then that would be awesome...

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Jab and Ftilt. Go use them.

Also don't bother on trying to learn Bdacus, it's just a gimmick. As long as you master Dacus you have your killing option.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
^BDACUS is far from a gimmick. It just hasnt been completely mastered yet due to its difficulty. But I did shield drop BDACUS kill an MK out of nado yesterday and I must say it felt good :)

Zync

Smash Journeyman
How do you exactly buffer a Dthrow, for stuff like marth and rob etc etc. What are the inputs? D:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
^BDACUS is far from a gimmick. It just hasnt been completely mastered yet due to its difficulty. But I did shield drop BDACUS kill an MK out of nado yesterday and I must say it felt good :)
What I mean is that while Bdacus goes farther and comes out 2-3 frames faster but you lose the ability to do it whenever you want, having to wait to be in a buffering window.

So yeah, Bdacus highly depends on the move you buffer it from (shield drop being a damn good option, and the only reliable one I can see so far), while Dacus is a versatile punisher.

All in all Bdacus isn't a bad option, it a very good mixup most of the time.
But it makes new Falcos focus on technical **** when they should just learn to space their jabs.
That's why I say it's a gimmick.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I would use your reflector and your short hop laser (although don't use laser too much because G&W can use it to fuel his most powerful attack) Try not to get in too close but the dash attack or a grab is not a bad choice at close range. If you can DACUS, it's not a bad choice for a finishing move.

The dair isn't as useful against him because he has his air horn or whatever you want to call it that just pushes you straight back up into the air and allows him to juggle you.

RIDLEY.

Smash Rookie
ok thanks... but about the DACUS y would use BDACUS better, its easy and faster i think so... en something to do about his key?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
i need tips against mr game,please...
I play him a lot. My partner is a Game and Watch. He's got some gimmicks, but he's fairly straight forward.

Things to watch:

Dthrow - tech it. Tech it, tech it, tech it. He gets a free DSmash if you don't tech it. Watch for him to chase out of it as well, but G&W's tech chase options are poor compared to a character like Snake.

Bucket - Don't shoot lasers at him when it's not gonna do any good but fill the bucket. Shoot them at him when bucketing them will get him punished or when you don't think he will be able to pull it out in time.

Uair - He'll Uair you whenever you're above him because it changes your momentum and makes it easier to follow up with more juggles. Watch for him to Uair once or twice and then Nair or UpB at you.

Bair - It's a great spacing tool, but to punish it, you have to react quickly when he hits the ground as the turtle will hit one more time after G&W is grounded. If he's spacing correctly, then you're probably better off just shielding the whole thing.

Smashes - They're all hard to punish. In fact, don't bother punishing an USmash after he swings. The lag is almost nonexistant. Don't overestimate his recovery time.

UpB - Invincible start-up and he can aerial out of it and then jump again. A central aspect of his game and his get out of jail free card.

Yeah, this is a really campy MU for both characters. You can no sooner abandon lasers as abuse them here. Your jabs, grabs, and tilts are amazing here, so boxing when you have an opportunity is good as long as you respect his jab and Dtilt. He'll probably try to UpB and reset the fight. Watch his spacing game and don't get let yourself get juggled by his aerial strings and his Uair. Most of the time, this match lasts at least 6 minutes, so don't get impatient, ever. If either of you gets impatient he'll soon find himself losing.

What's up Falcos?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
What's up Falcos?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.
Is MK legal? :troll:

-This stage is not a strength point for Falco. Relatively flat stages are his strong suit. The stage ledges present a problem for phantasm recovery and requires slightly more precision than a stage like battlefield or smashville. Firebird is still relatively unaffected by the stage ledges and is an easier ledge to grab than something like PS1.
-His full chaingrab is possible through the use of a boost pivot grab, but many characters can escape this than the standard walk/dash chaingrab.
-Due to the various levels, falco cannot control the stage nearly as easily. However, if he manages to get to the center he has a rough means of control through his jumping height in combination with his lasers. However, a mere one to two lasers from falco in a full hop or 2nd jump is far from great stage control compared to his short hop laser antics.
-The small platforms can provide support to his close-up game. But once someone retreats to a ledge or a different level, falco loses some control unless he risks pursuit at which falco puts himself at risk.
-The varying overlap and multiple levels forces falco to attack from awkward angles, some of which can be very advantageous while others harm his approach.

The stage is likely not something a falco main would train on and therefore would find it awkward to play on. With a few adjustments, he can play just fine on the stage while losing out on a number of his typical strengths. Overall, there are better stages to play on, this one is not horrible.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
few questions since I've picked up this character
1.What do you ban vs MK (I generally pick brinstar since...I just hate that stage but I'm open to suggestions and knowledge)
2.Can we BDACUS out of Shield Drop? If so when should I start the input, because i've tried and...failed
3.Can we BDACUS out of dash? If so (same as above)
4.What are some good CP's vs Diddy or should I stick to neutrals?
5.Thanks guys ^_^

Top Bottom