• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I give up. I'm tired of not being able to figure out my problem and the only match-up discussion I can find on the boards is dated. I main Falco and I know the Snake and Diddy match-ups are even or close.

With Snake I know that you're supposed to gimp him before he gets to ****ing 180. I know that I'm supposed to be able to outcamp him as well, but it doesn't work out. He can approach through my **** and when he gets in range, I generally eat ~40-80% before I get back to a position I feel in control. I CANNOT kill him for ****. I know I'm supposed to be able to get him off stage and gimp him, but he just C4 recovers way the **** off stage. When I DO have Snake to 150%+ I can't kill him. Anything I've got that can kill him is beaten by the correct choice of FTilt, UTilt, and Grenade. I simply don't see opportunities to punish him.

Diddy I'm a lost cause with. So long as a good Diddy is holding a banana, all he has to do is shield and react and I really don't understand what to do. If there's a banana bouncing off my shield, I don't know what my options are. If he gets the momentum, then good game Falco. If I'm playing well, it's a close match and at any point momentum can swing Diddy's way and **** me, there's your kill percent, eat a banana into DSmash/FSmash.

The only match-ups I have this much trouble with outside of those two are ****ing Pikachu and ICs. The guy I'm playing against is better than me right now. I'll admit that, but it's really frustrating when I do better against his MK main then go get three stocked by his secondaries. I see a LOT more people fail against his MK than his secondaries and I lose to other Snakes/Diddys, so I figured it's a match-up problem. I looked for less dated information but didn't find any, so I'll take advice and also links to vids of good matches that show what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.
Ok, so do you need help or what? Also you SHOULD NOT have any trouble on MK besides of the ledge b/c of his ability to gimp.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
On skake 50/50 chain grab down air of the ledge (somtimes they survive with C4) then ledge guard then down air again. (garenteed kill). For diddy 45/50 camp throw bananas away (or infinint on him with the banana) get him off stage ledge guard, dair and if diddy comes back (some how) do the process again, dacus or bdacus kill.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Sorry no info on ic or pikachu, but the one thing i can tell you is when we vs one we are ****ed! Also if any falco player has any idea how to play against ic and pikachu please do share really need to know.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
Jab canceling
I was curious how most falcos do it, do you tap attack twice or hold it briefly and then press down on the analog near the end of the 2nd jab? Also when you jab to grab, do you jab cancel the first jab and then press Z or shield grab, wondering if it makes a difference on the 2nd note.

2nd question, when mk dashing shields to you, what's an effective response to it? I have problems with what to do against MK when I'm just outside of jab range but he's in Ftilt range.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
your second question is 2 questions...

to the first part, grab him.to the second part. if hes that close, phantasm or walk away.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu, don't panic if he gets close to you. Avoid getting grabbed til ~50%. Watch for thunder ledge guarding and reflect it.

ICs, seperate them, kill nana, time sopo out. That's basically the strategy. Don't get predictable with phantasm. If you get trapped in blizzard, DI up and away and mash jump. Watch for their desynchs. If they dash dance..watch for an iceblock...jump if it comes because popo will follow.

As for jab canceling, i press A twice, then down on the control stick..rinse and repeat.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
On skake 50/50 chain grab down air of the ledge (somtimes they survive with C4) then ledge guard then down air again. (garenteed kill). For diddy 45/50 camp throw bananas away (or infinint on him with the banana) get him off stage ledge guard, dair and if diddy comes back (some how) do the process again, dacus or bdacus kill.
Sorry no info on ic or pikachu, but the one thing i can tell you is when we vs one we are ****ed! Also if any falco player has any idea how to play against ic and pikachu please do share really need to know.
Yeah, I can kill Snake if I can grab him and spike him, but I can't do that every time, but should I not get it, I could easily lose two stocks before killing him.

Fair works three times as well for edge guarding Diddy (Dair sucks balls against his recovery. Bair and Fair are your go to moves.), but I can't play with him while on the stage and that's my problem.

I'm not really worried about having issues with ICs and Pikachu. They're bad match-ups and I'm supposed to have a problem. I know the ICs/MK match-up like the back of my hand and do well in it. Same with Pika.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
With diddy...shield his banananana throws ..short hop and either catch or insta-throw them after they bounce off your shield. If he is just sitting with a banana in hand waiting for u....start shooting lasers that's what they are there for.
If you can predict his banana throws early..reflect them...our ftilt is faster than his..but im not sure which is longer range..just from thinking..i would say our's is longer

Most diddys don't do their Jab->Jab->Jab. They try jab->jab->grab or w/e. Their AAA is very slow to end so they try to avoid it. Throwing in your own jab after their 2nd can catch them if they try to grab.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
With diddy...shield his banananana throws ..short hop and either catch or insta-throw them after they bounce off your shield. If he is just sitting with a banana in hand waiting for u....start shooting lasers that's what they are there for.
If you can predict his banana throws early..reflect them...our ftilt is faster than his..but im not sure which is longer range..just from thinking..i would say our's is longer.
Thing about diddy is if they space/predict correctly they can fair you when you jump for the nana but yeah you can also bait that so its a good strat. Our ftilt is faster than his and im sure ours has more range

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I questioned it and all I got was something along the lines of 'you're the one making the typo'.

Some ancient Falco board inside joke.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
lol, I love this thread title, the good old days :)

I'm going to try to answer a bunch of the questions here again. I miss this thread.
why did you name yourself bleachigoZX?

How do we DI luigi's fsmash?

Whats your opinion on the olimar matchup?

Who are your 5 favourate falco mainers that use these boards?

Your rating of falcos dtilt from 1-10?

Why is your name bleachigoZX again?

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
why did you name yourself bleachigoZX?

How do we DI luigi's fsmash?

Whats your opinion on the olimar matchup?

Who are your 5 favourate falco mainers that use these boards?

Your rating of falcos dtilt from 1-10?

Why is your name bleachigoZX again?
Seems like you are interigating him.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If you can predict his banana throws early..reflect them...our ftilt is faster than his..but im not sure which is longer range..just from thinking..i would say our's is longer

Most diddys don't do their Jab->Jab->Jab. They try jab->jab->grab or w/e. Their AAA is very slow to end so they try to avoid it. Throwing in your own jab after their 2nd can catch them if they try to grab.
Insta-throw sounds interesting and I'll try it. I've been frustrated with the match-up, so I said **** it and played him for about 2 hours just against Diddy.

It's a REALLY momentum based match-up. If you can get it, you can **** him up.

Him holding a banana is a bad thing. He will get one, but don't let it be a regular occurrence. Your wavedash is good and you can play with bananas about as well as that ******* can. Learn how, but know that he will know what to do with them. If you can't be applying pressure behind them, there's no reason to try and use them, just keep them away from him.

Once he gets knocked off stage at a down and away angle (high % Ftilt or a DSmash or even a grab release off stage) don't Dair him. Please don't. His UpB will eat your spike and you'll look dumb. The lasting hitbox on Fair is a MUCH better choice as it tends to destroy Diddy's UpB. Use Bair if you can't Fair.

I still don't know how to challenge his SideB.

When you're recovering he's just like anyone else. If he reads your SideB, you will eat an FSmash.

I never win in the air unless I'm below him. I don't know if it's simply because his Fair is disjointed and I can't figure out the hitbox or my own bad decisions.

If you're chain grabbing him and are going to be running into a banana if you continue, tag an UpSmash on him. It will grab the banana and have you under Diddy, which is a position I like.

That and just do Falco things. Tilts, jabs, lasers, grabs.

It would be REALLY cool if we could get some less dated match-up discussion. Now help me figure out Snake. Q.Q

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that it's helpful to know that he dies at like 125 from Up Smash. I only know for sure the percent that MK dies at (115% with perfect DI). A list of what kills who when would probably be cool.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What move can falco use out of jabs (good moves and quick).
Grab, Ftilt, Shine out of AAA, Up Smash, cancel into another jab. You can stand there and wait for him to do something or try and call out the spot dodge with an Fsmash.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I like A/AA -> dsmash, especially if you've conditioned them to expect rapid jabs. Them trying to DI away = bad DI for dsmash, and it's only one frame slower than ftilt, which I see used all the time for jab mixups. Why isn't this used more often, if at all? I understand that it's relatively unsafe on block, but still, the reward is pretty good to try out once and awhile imo.

Also, what percents should Falco start to boost grab to keep CGing Marth?

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Why are you so legendary? And how can I make my Falco not bad?
I am, because you make me. Practice, not legendary kid.

How do I boost grab? I saw how to boost pivot grab, but how do you do it without pivoting?
It's the same as boost pivot grabbing, without the pivot. Just don't hit back. Dash + C-stick(down) + Shield...

or the way I do it:
Dash + Attack - Shield

you do a piano, sorta sliding motion , between Attack and Shield so that you dash attack (because that is what you are cancelling out of) then grab.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Take the CG when it's given to you, but killing them while not taking damage is always going to be the most important thing.

Top Bottom