• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Approaching a shielding foe, When I set up a brickwall of Fairs, I usually strike the shieild and weave away from the opponent to space another Fair.
Though this is good for spacing and brickwalls, how do I know when it becomes that I am being TO defensive?
What are someways to be aggressive and defensive?

Is constant SHFairs defensive or offensive, or does it depend on your strategies that you apply it towards?

-Red-

Smash Cadet
Yeah honestly my best advise would be to just do whatever you possibly can to not be above MK, or any character for that matter with Marth.

--------------------------------

Approaching a shielding foe, When I set up a brickwall of Fairs, I usually strike the shieild and weave away from the opponent to space another Fair.
Though this is good for spacing and brickwalls, how do I know when it becomes that I am being TO defensive?
What are someways to be aggressive and defensive?

Is constant SHFairs defensive or offensive, or does it depend on your strategies that you apply it towards?
Well if you are spacing your Fairs well, and they are shielding of three things will happen, 1. There shield will break 2. You will hit them 3. They will be forced to play a defensive game to avoid 1 and 2.

None of these three are bad for Marth, so theres no real problem in repeating Fairs aslong as you are spacing well.

As for being TO defensive, well it all depends, I think Marth has an amazing defensive game and can win off just that, but when get a hit in with the Fair go ahead and take advantage of it as much as you can. Then when everything is back to normal ( you and your opponent are on even footing again go back to brickwall Fairs)

Constant fair is both offensive and defensive, its offensive as it does damage and can lead to combos. its defensive as it keeps them away from you. ^_^

Also try fairing them a few times, then jump in and fast fall into a grab. Changing your defensive Fair into a offensive grab.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Yeah honestly my best advise would be to just do whatever you possibly can to not be above MK, or any character for that matter with Marth.

--------------------------------

Well if you are spacing your Fairs well, and they are shielding of three things will happen, 1. There shield will break 2. You will hit them 3. They will be forced to play a defensive game to avoid 1 and 2.

None of these three are bad for Marth, so theres no real problem in repeating Fairs aslong as you are spacing well.

As for being TO defensive, well it all depends, I think Marth has an amazing defensive game and can win off just that, but when get a hit in with the Fair go ahead and take advantage of it as much as you can. Then when everything is back to normal ( you and your opponent are on even footing again go back to brickwall Fairs)
Yup, that basically what it is ment to do, but I see it more of an offensive approach since it requires to have your foe to go on the complete defense. Rather then you waiting for a opening, you are forcing you oppenment to make one.

-Red-

Smash Cadet
Well it's defensive in the way that it doesn't give your opponent a chance to approach or punish you.

I totally agree with on your reasoning why it's offensive though

Actually
it depends on your strategies that you apply it towards
Is probably the best way of explaining it

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well it's defensive in the way that it doesn't give your opponent a chance to approach or punish you.

I totally agree with on your reasoning why it's offensive though

Actually

Is probably the best way of explaining it
Basically it is a multi purpose execution, either way it is a great move. Good thing that you have to hit the person for the move to stale, or else it would really suck.

-Red-

Smash Cadet
Ok I need a 100% yes or no on this, please.

If I grab Mk, pummel him into a grab release, am I garunteed the Fair/Nair/UpB?

Because I was watching Neo's matches vs Plank and he is an AMAZING Marth, i was really impressed but the last match of the set if he grab released to Up/Nair/Fair he would have won. He had the grab and up threw....twice. Is it because he made a mistake or is it not 100%?

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Ok I need a 100% yes or no on this, please.

If I grab Mk, pummel him into a grab release, am I guaranteed the Fair/Nair/UpB?

Because I was watching Neo's matches vs Plank and he is an AMAZING Marth, i was really impressed but the last match of the set if he grab released to Up/Nair/Fair he would have won. He had the grab and up threw....twice. Is it because he made a mistake or is it not 100%?
No, it isn't guaranteed. But If you get really good at it, then it could really make a difference.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Can you DI out of Dancing blade at all? >_<
If so, which way(s)? >___>

Thanks steel. ^_^

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
If you are very close to marth and he does the down version di in towards him.

If you are at tipper range and he does the down di out.

If he does the up version DI down and the last hit will miss.

Forward... if it's at tip range try out.

xxHammerxx

Smash Rookie
Eh, also, you should always smash DI away from Marth from hit one. You may be able to escape the last hit entirely, if Marth spaces liberally.
If Marth does DB as fast as he can though (I mean as fast as humanely possible of course) and all side slashes, no up or down, can you DI out of it? It seems like then you wouldn't be able to, but I'm new so IDK I guess...

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
If Marth does DB as fast as he can though (I mean as fast as humanely possible of course) and all side slashes, no up or down, can you DI out of it? It seems like then you wouldn't be able to, but I'm new so IDK I guess...
No not really.

Now for my Question,

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wWiQTh63_XU

Marth can do this too with DS. Is it any good?

Sorry i couldn't get a vid of marth doing this. Its in there though.

Stole the link from the DK boards.

Hype

Smash Lord
Yes, marth can do this with DS, I do it at the begining of my combo vid (in sig). I don't think it is as good as Dair unless they are at a kill percent. I don't think it's something to try because you have to put yourself above the character to do it and marth sucks at fighting people below him.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Yes, marth can do this with DS, I do it at the begining of my combo vid (in sig). I don't think it is as good as Dair unless they are at a kill percent. I don't think it's something to try because you have to put yourself above the character to do it and marth sucks at fighting people below him.

True. I guess that jusd DS out of shield is a better option too.

thank you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I was playing as Marth yesterday and I was playing a R.O.B., and for some reason, whenever I would footstool dair them, the dair wouldn't tip and spike them. Yet, when I do it on other characters, it seems to work fine. Is this an issue with ROB or do I just suck with Marth?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I was playing as Marth yesterday and I was playing a R.O.B., and for some reason, whenever I would footstool dair them, the dair wouldn't tip and spike them. Yet, when I do it on other characters, it seems to work fine. Is this an issue with ROB or do I just suck with Marth?
It's just something odd with ROB's footstool animation.

Simply delay your dair.

Also, don't steal my lines...

"...or do I just suck with Marth?"

Yeah, no.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Alright, I'm in a bit of a dilemma... wonder how much you guys would help.

Basically, I'm having Marth trouble. Sadly, my Sheik is pretty terrible. In my opinion, Sheik/Zelda is near neutral with Marth, with him having a slight advantage, which is better than a flat out advantage. Do you guys think it'd be better for me to stick with my best character (Zelda) and bring my Sheik up to that level, or should I just get a completely different CP for Marth?

I guess what I'm asking is... Sheik/Zelda vs. Marth or DDD/Snake/Robot vs. Marth

No, I don't want to use MK, even though he's logically the best answer. Also, I have not learned the latter three at all.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Alright, I'm in a bit of a dilemma... wonder how much you guys would help.

Basically, I'm having Marth trouble. Sadly, my Sheik is pretty terrible. In my opinion, Sheik/Zelda is near neutral with Marth, with him having a slight advantage, which is better than a flat out advantage. Do you guys think it'd be better for me to stick with my best character (Zelda) and bring my Sheik up to that level, or should I just get a completely different CP for Marth?

I guess what I'm asking is... Sheik/Zelda vs. Marth or DDD/Snake/Robot vs. Marth

No, I don't want to use MK, even though he's logically the best answer. Also, I have not learned the latter three at all.

I suggest that you train your Zelda to the point where you can defeat opposing Marths.
If Zelda is your best character then continue to use her. It would be easier to train up Zelda then to learn a completely new character in my opinion.

Learn the matchup vs marth. Study it and find advantages your character may have over Marth. Play Marths often and figure out the advantages and disadvantages you have vs Marth.

And dont even think about going Metaknight. We have enough of those already. =/

Top Bottom