• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201884

When you counter, you go into a special state (not invincibility, or you wouldn't be able to be grabbed).

in this state, when you are touched by an attack, you become invincible. Your opponent, receives a property I named the stun jacket. This generates extra hitlag, and is diminished when the opponent is hit. Usually, this happens immediately, since the opponent gets hit by counter slash.

In short, you enter a special state in which you cannot move, and Marth falls slower. This state anticipates attacks.
You get hit and become invincible
your opponent gets the Stun Jacket
You hit them with counter slash (and that's the end of the jacket)

Enzo

Smash Lord

When you counter, you go into a special state (not invincibility, or you wouldn't be able to be grabbed).

in this state, when you are touched by an attack, you become invincible. Your opponent, receives a property I named the stun jacket. This generates extra hitlag, and is diminished when the opponent is hit. Usually, this happens immediately, since the opponent gets hit by counter slash.

In short, you enter a special state in which you cannot move, and Marth falls slower. This state anticipates attacks.
oh ok, thanks for clearing that up i was confused

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord

oooooohhhhhhhhh that makes so much sense now, i understand how it works now. Thanks for the info

Question regarding Marth's counter hit box:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
wait wut? sense you do make even not

V

Smash Ace
This question is for pierce/mike/mr r/leon/top marths

What are mk's most viable options when we're ledge trapping him?

What are your opinions of YI and Halberd against mk?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This question is for pierce/mike/mr r/leon/top marths

What are mk's most viable options when we're ledge trapping him?

What are your opinions of YI and Halberd against mk?
If you don't give MK enough space to react to, Mach Tornado.

Ledge Hop airdodge -> Airdodge - UpB

ledge hop Fair if your not spacing well

standard get-up options

Sliding airdodge land to grounded attack

Can you buffer a tech? :confused:
No. If you're in hitstun, and you hit block, you lock out the window to tech if you press it too soon. I forget the exact frame data to do it.

You CANNOT buffer a tech, do not Mash the button, it requires good timing.

This is similar to a meteor cancel.

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
Bad Zone: DS, Shield grab, maybe back roll
Neutral Zone: Any quick start up move
Good Zone: DB 1st hit or DS (I think)

*Jump-canceled up smash (c-stick up before the character leaves the ground or something) is an option for Neutral and Green

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
*sigh*

No it's very escape-able, it's just a mix-up. DB1 does not ever combo into anything beside DB2 unless there is a stun jacket (and even then, I haven't tested.)

Nair1 can combo into other things besides Nair2 though. Nair - Usmash at that percent is legit. It depends on the opponent's DI like any combo though.

Takao9411

Smash Apprentice
*sigh*

No it's very escape-able, it's just a mix-up. DB1 does not ever combo into anything beside DB2 unless there is a stun jacket (and even then, I haven't tested.)

Nair1 can combo into other things besides Nair2 though. Nair - Usmash at that percent is legit. It depends on the opponent's DI like any combo though.
Yeah, I know, it was stupid to ask, but I was just wondering since I was reading the comments and one of them said that Ramin had told said it's inescapable.

Alright, I figured that much since Nair1 pulls the opponent toward you.

Thanks for the reply.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah, I know, it was stupid to ask, but I was just wondering since I was reading the comments and one of them said that Ramin had told said it's inescapable.

Alright, I figured that much since Nair1 pulls the opponent toward you.

Thanks for the reply.
No, it wasn't stupid to ask. Never hesitate to ask questions to better yourself.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
LOL I never said it was inescapable XD
people shouldn't copy my gimicks cause 99 % of the time ur better of doing something else

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Lol @ Mr.R most creative Marth. Also I got a question what moves or follow ups are possible after a grab release on metaknight?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
OK question for leon mr.r pierce or who ever on wario the grab release to tipper fsmash do u simply turn around and fsmash or do u turn around stutter step or what is it?

Duckman

Smash Rookie
I got one...everyone says marth can up-B out of falcos chaingrab... but I'm having trouble doing it.
Is it only at certain %s? Which way should I be DI-ing?
I went to the falco threads to see if they had info, and I saw that if it's "frame perfect" marth cant up-b?

also...during falco's jab, Can you DS at any time/placement?

I played a real falco for the 1st time and as you can tell, it didn't go well

Takao9411

Smash Apprentice
LOL I never said it was inescapable XD
people shouldn't copy my gimicks cause 99 % of the time ur better of doing something else
"haha i had the same problem ;) Ramin told me, It's still pretty hard to perform it Unescapable... but if you get it right it's so good."
^ That was the comment that I read, but obviously I should stop listening to Youtube comments and just ask here.

What're good options for Marth when fighting someone who's camping? ie: Yoshi, Snake, Falco.

C.J.

Smash Master
Lol @ Mr.R most creative Marth. Also I got a question what moves or follow ups are possible after a grab release on metaknight?
Fair, nair, dash attack, DB, DS, dair, apparently uair? GIMR says yes, but I've never seen it

OK question for leon mr.r pierce or who ever on wario the grab release to tipper fsmash do u simply turn around and fsmash or do u turn around stutter step or what is it?
The easiest way is to stutterstep backwards and then reverse fsmash... there's no trick to doing to though. You just have to practice and get the timing down.

I got one...everyone says marth can up-B out of falcos chaingrab... but I'm having trouble doing it.
Is it only at certain %s? Which way should I be DI-ing?
I went to the falco threads to see if they had info, and I saw that if it's "frame perfect" marth cant up-b?

also...during falco's jab, Can you DS at any time/placement?

I played a real falco for the 1st time and as you can tell, it didn't go well
If it's frame perfect/boost grabbed you can't DS out of it. Even if you could... it's not worth the risk really. If they shield it you're getting regrabbed/fsmashed/other stuff. And you can DS out of the spinny part of Falco's jab. However, it's not unlikely that by hitting up you'll SDI too far up and the DS will miss, lol. Just SDI up and fair falco or SDI straight back and out.

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
Kuro you can just stand and flick the c-stick at the right timing... easiest for me, and no chance of tripping :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
*sigh*

db1 does combo in other things if you hit with a specific hitbox.
its the one at your head height. will combo into jab/grab legitimately.. eventually.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Question: Where can I read or look up proper spiking techniques for Marth? I have trouble with the spike, especially footstool spike. Any tips or refrences?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Question: Where can I read or look up proper spiking techniques for Marth? I have trouble with the spike, especially footstool spike. Any tips or refrences?
Start working with it on the left side. Much easier.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Footstool spike is different timing for different characters. For some, you have to input the footstool and spike the same time, while for floatier characters like Samus you wait a split second before spiking.

As for landing the spike itself, the easiest way is to hit with the back end of the spike. A good way of practicing this is to uptilt (connect with the hitbox behind Marth) and then to jump and spike with the back part of Dair. Take time to learn the spacing.

Rad

Smash Ace
What are the best ways to punish a ZSS mass D-smashing while you're on the ledge? It's not something I've been anxious to mess around against, even in friendlies.

Thanks

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Welcome to Smashboards JoeR!

As people have been saying, start by practicing the spike behind Marth. Also, don't worry about spiking too much now. It's a very amateur habit to try and spike every time, and you can bypass that phase of failure by just using Bair (that's the Back Aerial attack) or Fair (the Forward Aerial Attack) to hit your opponent off stage.

@ Quest
To do a grounded Breversal is essentially the same as an aerial one. When you Dash, release the stick to neutral and hit B to do a shield breaker. Then, quickly push the other direction (I believe there is a 5 frame window, but it could be smaller.) This will cause you to turn around.

@Rad

Just be very careful. If you're below 100 percent, try a ledge jump Fair (not a ledge hop Fair). You'll be invincible if done correctly. You might also try ledge hop Dolphin Slash

Top Bottom