• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Albert.

Smash Master
Please refrain from trolling me outside of social threads. I can and will infract trolls. This is your first and last warning :)

Yeah hide behind your mod status you little b****. you're gonna warn me? LOLL K I'll start go give a **** right now....haha

It wasn't even trolling I was just messing around and you're acting as if this is the most sacred thread in the world.

THAT SAID BRO you didn't accept my facebook request :(

Any good tips for Marth vs Snake? im running into Snakes recently.
yeah, jump around a lot and bait his **** and then hit him a lot.

watch Havok v Ally and Candy

and Mike v Ally

redJ v Ebo

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I find watching vids of any marth v ally.... not helpful at all. he's too different. you gotta learn the snake matchup and then you gotta learn the ally matchup.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Any good tips for Marth vs Snake? im running into Snakes recently.
If you give me a moment, I'll dig up a decent essay I wrote on the MU a while back.

Yeah hide behind your mod status you little b****. you're gonna warn me? LOLL K I'll start go give a **** right now....haha

It wasn't even trolling I was just messing around and you're acting as if this is the most sacred thread in the world.

lol @ ever being scared of you. I'm not hiding from anything, I am here and in the open. I am merely reminding you of the powers at my disposal.

I'm aware that you are "just messing around" and as such, you have yet to receive any infraction points.

I created this thread, and I take it very seriously.

If I didn't accept your friend request, it's probably because you didn't say who you were. I have many outstanding friend requests on Facebook because I don't know who the person is.

Nike.

Smash Hero
How can marth deal with a yoshi who throws 3-4 eggs from the ledge? Is there a way to beat it everytime they try it, or is it better to wait until they attempt to get back on stage? I feel like if I to safely shield eggs, I have to give him the space he wants to make it back on stage unpunished. I hate doing that since it's a hard earned position advantage :(

Polt moved close to my city and I've lost to him twice in the past month. I gotta find a way to beat him lol.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You can evade them (airdodge, roll dodge is pretty effective)

You can powershield them

You can dtilt Yoshi with good timing

You can time the Yoshi out if there's an LGL.

I think you might still get hit if you counter, but try that too.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea

yeah, jump around a lot and bait his **** and then hit him a lot.

watch Havok v Ally and Candy

and Mike v Ally

redJ v Ebo
Pierce invented the warning too.

Albert.

Smash Master
I am merely reminding you of the powers at my disposal.

powers at my disposal.

I lol'd

If I didn't accept your friend request, it's probably because you didn't say who you were. I have many outstanding friend requests on Facebook because I don't know who the person is.
My name is Albert. here.

my name on Facebook is also Albert.

brah if you're gonna break my heart JUST DO IT :(

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I feel scared and empowered at the same time after those innumerable emboldening of power.

For yoshi's that use that tactic I try to attempt to perfect shield the eggs and close a gap. If you are right at the edge then just drop down. If you are fast enough I think you can get under the egg or hit him before he gets out of the ending lag. Just a few ideas.

earla

Smash Lord
this is relating the 10 boss battles:

how can marth apply the most damage to a still opponent in the shortest amount of time?

which move combinations work best?

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Does Marth win vs. Olimar? If so, can you please explain why? Thanks in advance! :)

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5496150

Old I know but...if you haven't already then go check it out.

I think Marth does. Fair can swat away pikmin and you have to watch out for the grabs when you land. I personally think Olimar only has his Grab as an obstacle marth. But grabbing goes back to good fundementals.

His smashes are a little above average and im 99% positive that they clank with marth's sword. His un-pikmin moves are out prioritized. Atleast I think. This is what I have obtained threw experience so don't quote me on this.

Remember Im still a noob just trying to get into elite status of the Marth Boards.

Olimar can adapt very well by playing in the air as you counter his grabs. I generally see them jump backwards and throw pikmin at you after they figured out you can get past their grab.

Pushing to the edge has been the best bet for me. He can't pivot grab as effectively and obviously puts them under pressure being near their biggest flaw.

Staying in an area outside of his smashes but close so he thinks twice before throwing his pikmin is good. Good Olimars won't get gimped easily. Don't get grabbed. Make note of Blue pikmin- he will use it for a Bthrow as a kill move(and has 2nd or tied for 1st longest grab range), White pikmin are deadly. Get them off fast and they also have great grab range. Purple pikmin have pretty darn good priority, THESE GUYS ARE IMPORTANT. Don't get too close. Purple pikmin's smashes are slower and shorter but kill way earlier. Don't mis-space. Olimar does have a decent air game but gets beat out by Marth's.

Good Olimars will:
Not get gimped easily
Control the Stage
Grab Combo
Platform camp

Marth beats him because of his range and speed. Marth's ability to SH double fair and react to a grab when he lands and retaliate with a dancing blade is what makes marth do well. Tilts, fair, and Dancing blade with good air and ground speed tacked on with range is why marth wins. But it is by no means an shoo-in.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
How to fight Snake:
Zone the front of him with Fair, so he gets hit if he ftilts, but otherwise you both whiff.
Randomize your committed approaches
Land unpredictable as to not get hit by Dash Attack
Learn to space so you don't set off nades.
Only use Dancing Blade to punish
Learn to trap and gimp properly with Fair and Dtilt on airdodge reads.
Play a safe pressure game.

How to fight Olimar:
Learn to minimize damage from Pikman Toss by shielding, swatting, or evading
Land unpredictably to evade Grabs
Do not tipper your falling Fairs, but space well as to not get Usmashed.
Learn to beat out shield grab attempts by applying pressure, due to Olimar's slow grab and lack of grab armor.
Use Forward Dancing Blade to shield stab.
Learn to lock down Olimar at the ledge, while evading Uair.
Learn to evade Fsmash while being able to react to grab.
Learn when it's the right time to use Dolphin Slash or Dsmash for a kill.
Learn that when a purple is next on the line-up, it can kill you, so be careful, but realize Olimar has reduced grab range and an increased anti-air projectiled.
Learn to evade white Pikman, or to take minimal damage from them.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
How to fight Snake:
Zone the front of him with Fair, so he gets hit if he ftilts, but otherwise you both whiff.
Randomize your committed approaches
Land unpredictable as to not get hit by Dash Attack
Learn to space so you don't set off nades.
Only use Dancing Blade to punish
Learn to trap and gimp properly with Fair and Dtilt on airdodge reads.
Play a safe pressure game.

How to fight Olimar:
Learn to minimize damage from Pikman Toss by shielding, swatting, or evading
Land unpredictably to evade Grabs
Do not tipper your falling Fairs, but space well as to not get Usmashed.
Learn to beat out shield grab attempts by applying pressure, due to Olimar's slow grab and lack of grab armor.
Use Forward Dancing Blade to shield stab.
Learn to lock down Olimar at the ledge, while evading Uair.
Learn to evade Fsmash while being able to react to grab.
Learn when it's the right time to use Dolphin Slash or Dsmash for a kill.
Learn that when a purple is next on the line-up, it can kill you, so be careful, but realize Olimar has reduced grab range and an increased anti-air projectiled.
Learn to evade white Pikman, or to take minimal damage from them.
Yeah. What he said. :)
Almost the exact way I would fight olimar put in much better ways for advice.
Thanks Pierce.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I don't really understand all this hype about buffering. If you need to do something as soon as another thing ends you buffer it. But if you need to time a move right then you don't buffer it. Yeah, I don't really understand it. You can buffer fair out of a jump though.

kalem333

Smash Rookie
For what it is worth, I have found that mixing in some spot dodging provides some great mind games against olimar, and help when you are "blitzing". approaching with Fair is obviously the usual, but when I'm against olimar I stay on the ground a bit more and spot dodge the tossed pikmin and smashes, which leads to decent punishment.Now granted, I haven't done a whole lot of competitive olimar fights but this won me the few I have done.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
How exactly does marth's counter work? How would it fare against an attack like dedede's utilt? (because of the invincibilty frames)

earla

Smash Lord
i think this ***** just went to like every character board and said this LOL
i main marth and mk. ^ wasn't neccessary. perhaps you could spend some of your time usefully instead of comparing peoples posts on different boards.

buffering everything is old? do most marths do this?

Laurel

Smash Ace
(it was semi-sarcastic, my post)

in all seriousness, there are a few mus i have problems with. am i better off just doing my best to learn them or pick a secondary up for them?

Nike.

Smash Hero
I'd say do your best to learn them. Alot of marth players have certain bad matchups. I was garbage against ike for my first year and a half. I finally got past the hurdle.

Which matchups are you having problems with? Actually, which players? lol

Laurel

Smash Ace
well i need to think about what i need help on besides the obvious ones you already know about, i'll message you later about it

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Take it to VMs, guys.

On an on-topic note, what's the best way to get good with Marth without playing????

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Marth cannot wear a stun jacket.

The best way to get better at Marth w/o playing is to watch videos, and read guides.

To fight Diddy, find any post I ever made on the topic ever. Try to use the search function.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
Where can I find/do we have a thread, of a list of Marth's grab -> tippers on the rest of the cast?

Top Bottom