• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
On a starter stage list of Smashville/Battlefield/Yoshi's/Lylat/Stadium, what would be Marth's preferences to go to against a Meta Knight? Also, what stage to counterpick in this matchup assuming Final Destination is banned, and what to ban out of Brinstar/Frigate/Delfino?

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
personally i'd take him to yoshi's out of all those neutrals, i feel it's the best vs. MK and i also personally like the stage

as for a CP if FD is banned i'd take him to yoshi's again if you didn't win on it the first time, otherwise i might go lylat or BF or even delfino becuz i enjoy spiking MK's in the water

V

Smash Ace
Between marth and meta knight...

Who has a better defensive spacing/zoning game?

Who is a better punisher?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
There are videos of me against Wolf? I'm terrible at that MU.

However, it is true that I try to use Marth's high mobility to compensate for his slow falling speed by moving away from my opponent when I'm knocked into the air.

Grabbing ICs isn't safe persay, but it's better than getting grabbed, in a pinch.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There are videos of me against Wolf? I'm terrible at that MU.

However, it is true that I try to use Marth's high mobility to compensate for his slow falling speed by moving away from my opponent when I'm knocked into the air.

Grabbing ICs isn't safe persay, but it's better than getting grabbed, in a pinch.
Marth is in the top third of the game in terms of fast fall speed Pierce.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Anyone have good experience with Snake + marth in doubles and has had moderate success with the team? I'm trying to figure out more of how to cover marth, I'm aware of some of the gimmicks/strengths of the team (close game pressure aka "sandwiching", sticky tricks), but I'm not sure of some things, like how what situations marth should capitalize on after snake gets a punish (although I'm the snake lol, so this applies more to my partner obv.).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't think its that amazing of a team unfortunately, It has its perks...

The main "cool" thing that has a lot of potential is how well Marth can work with Snake's explosions with the use of counter.

KillLock

Smash Lord
Anyone have good experience with Snake + marth in doubles and has had moderate success with the team? I'm trying to figure out more of how to cover marth, I'm aware of some of the gimmicks/strengths of the team (close game pressure aka "sandwiching", sticky tricks), but I'm not sure of some things, like how what situations marth should capitalize on after snake gets a punish (although I'm the snake lol, so this applies more to my partner obv.).
I've had solid success with this team for a while now. In my region I've placed 1st in doubles for 2+ years, and I recently went to a BC tournament a week ago and placed 1st without giving up a match. Though it could just be the chemistry with me and my partner for teaming so long... lol.

As for what Marth should do once you get a punish, well he can try and hit the flying opponent for some extra damage or go for a juggle if he's not too busy on his end. Otherwise Marth should just stick with his basic routine of keeping one or both guys on one side of the map and covering options with the occasional support when he gets a chance. Edguarding is pretty important obviously, as it keeps one guy off stage, racks up damage and forces his teammate to help which gives Snake opportunities on his end of the map.

Proper coordination from both Snake and Marth makes this a solid team imo.

some doubles matches to give you an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkXhvxk1TiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQBGeWHYPVk

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I don't think its that amazing of a team unfortunately, It has its perks...

The main "cool" thing that has a lot of potential is how well Marth can work with Snake's explosions with the use of counter.
Yeah I'm aware.

both of us are unfortunately balls at using MK lol (in doubles at least).

I do like the c4 stick to marth, then he grabs/DBs someone, which you then detonate when you hear the stick, since he's pretty good at getting either of those moves on the opponent lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There are also special walls that can be produced (and specific aggressive movements) with the use of timing grenade explosions [something you and the snake will have a stronger control of than your opponent] + as I said, counter, etc.

Fun things can be had with Marth dtliting someones shield and snake lobbing a grenade over your head which can effectively zone two opponents with Marth being relatively safe.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Marth is in the top third of the game in terms of fast fall speed Pierce.
Are you sure you don't mean boost due to FFing, as opposed to max fall speed? Also, characters in this game fall slow in general compared to how fast the good ones can move on the ground.

I personally enjoy having Snake in the front and abusing Ftilt, to create a heavy wall on the opponent that does massive damage, while Marth stays behind him, punishing rolls, and capitalizing on the opponent hitting Snake. Also, when Snake uses explosions properly, and decreases opponent's shields, ShieldBreaker does work.

Overall, defensive play is better for this team, and typically I find that being grounded is more successful. As a Marth player, I'm frustrated when Grenades are in the fray while I'm applying pressure.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
after he "lets go", it comes out in 7 frames.

I may be remembering wrong now, but charge time is 70 frames,

so 12 + 70 + 7.
I soooo hope you're not joking and I've just been missing him saying "let's go" all this time.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've had solid success with this team for a while now. In my region I've placed 1st in doubles for 2+ years, and I recently went to a BC tournament a week ago and placed 1st without giving up a match. Though it could just be the chemistry with me and my partner for teaming so long... lol.

As for what Marth should do once you get a punish, well he can try and hit the flying opponent for some extra damage or go for a juggle if he's not too busy on his end. Otherwise Marth should just stick with his basic routine of keeping one or both guys on one side of the map and covering options with the occasional support when he gets a chance. Edguarding is pretty important obviously, as it keeps one guy off stage, racks up damage and forces his teammate to help which gives Snake opportunities on his end of the map.

Proper coordination from both Snake and Marth makes this a solid team imo.

some doubles matches to give you an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkXhvxk1TiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQBGeWHYPVk
wow small world, we just had some of your Canadian friends over for LOST 2 (today). It was fun playing Firefly and bundt.

Laurel

Smash Ace
is the only way to fsmash straight out of a dash is to shield?

i know that sentence is terrible but i honestly can't construct if better right now lol

KillLock

Smash Lord
wow small world, we just had some of your Canadian friends over for LOST 2 (today). It was fun playing Firefly and bundt.
Nice. I assume that the tournament was in Washington? I know BC sometimes goes down there.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
A few technical questions not specifically related to Marth:

1. Is platform-canceling only doable on Smashville? I can't seem to get it to work on BF.

2. So a true pivot is simply foxtrotting and then resetting the stick to neutral? Is this only possible out of a foxtrot or can you perform one out of a full-on dash?

3. What is the quickest way to get off the edge, perform a nair, and land on the stage? I see RoyR and Mike do this all the time. I'm currently tapping backwards and then performing a 180 degree motion above-forward.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
A few technical questions not specifically related to Marth:

1. Is platform-canceling only doable on Smashville? I can't seem to get it to work on BF.

2. So a true pivot is simply foxtrotting and then resetting the stick to neutral? Is this only possible out of a foxtrot or can you perform one out of a full-on dash?

3. What is the quickest way to get off the edge, perform a nair, and land on the stage? I see RoyR and Mike do this all the time. I'm currently tapping backwards and then performing a 180 degree motion above-forward.
1.) Only on moving platforms. Works almost everywhere on RC. Works sometimes on YI, works sometimes on Delfino. Always on SV.

2. It is done by starting a fox trot, but canceling the 2nd (or 3rd or whatever dash you're on) dash by whipping the analog in the opposite direction. From that position you'll either stop and turn around (if you got the analog back to neutral within 2 frames of whipping it back, really freakin hard, thats a true pivot). But otherwise, you'll just do a dash in the opposite direction, which is a true pivot dash and is extremely useful and underused.

3. Just a basic ledgehop. Press down or back to release from the edge and then double jump with either tap jump or a jump button and nair immediately.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Platform Canceling can only be done on moving platforms. This includes Smashville, Lylat (stage is constantly tilting, allowing for plat cancels) RC (Stage is constantly moving), Delfino (only during the shifts platform, not while the stage is in transit), PS and CS (while the stage is transforming) and pretty much any moving platform.

To perform a ledgehop Nair, simply hit back or down, then input Nair and jump and immediately hold forward.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Is there any advantage to doing empty bair > dair instead of just rar'ing a dair. That is when you go for a spike. I guess my question is why do people use bair to turn around?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
because dair has a huge hitbox behind marth but a very small one in front of marth

a lot easier to nail a spike from the back.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Additionally, a skill Marth will realize when they don't have the line up for a spike, and be able to Bair the opponent, which has less lag in the air than Fair (I think) and it has a better hitbox. So godly of a hitbox, that Sakurai realized it would be broken to let us edgeguard with this move over and over, so he forced it to turn us around.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Additionally, a skill Marth will realize when they don't have the line up for a spike, and be able to Bair the opponent, which has less lag in the air than Fair (I think) and it has a better hitbox. So godly of a hitbox, that Sakurai realized it would be broken to let us edgeguard with this move over and over, so he forced it to turn us around.
Bair has less lag than fair, but it's still a ****ing awesome edgeguard.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
To perform a ledgehop Nair, simply hit back or down, then input Nair and jump and immediately hold forward.
So you're saying to hit the A button BEFORE tapping my jump, so that the first hit of nair is already coming out as I begin to rise?

Top Bottom