• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Didn't know that shieldbreaker thing would get so much attention, been doing that since before i even knew bout spacing 0.o. Also to Dancing Blade in the opposite direction your running just b-reverse it too.

Soran

Smash Ace
can somebody post the shield breaker slidy technique?

I don't think I'm doing it right. he doesn't.. really slide. and I cant' turn around. he just pivots.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Try just running and doing a sliding shield breaker. Once you get the hang of that, you can try doing the b-reverse, by simply hitting back right after pushing B.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
seriously? a join date ad hominem? expected more out of you pierce, but yes this is my second account, I assumed mods could see that?

dunno what you're talking about either, neo and mike camp just like anyone else I've seen, I've only seen a few games of Mr R so no comment on him, EU's metagame is totally different anyway though
Neo does camp a lot, but also approaches a lot too, and he has marvelous attack patterns. I'm far from playing him regularly, but I have played him in person for stretches of time. His play is safe, but not defensively focused, like my own. Also, Neo played Roy and Marth in Melee, and was very successful. I'm not generally one to pick on join dates, but your information was very misinforming, and opinionated.

Hitting G&W's Upb

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gO6w_5eyo

What should we try doing if he drops from the ledge? Ledge drop -> DS is too risky. Miss by even a single frame and marth gets launched high and falls to his doom.
I often use Counter.

Probably a silly question but

DI how exactly? Thanks. :)
Typically, SDI up. Also, I believe I was mistaken about the ability to jump after UpB, but maybe not.

So like i met Rad on the weekend and he told me that i can platform cancle by tapping down as well as C-stick down, which is better to learn? :p
btw nice meeting you haha
If you are holding Down, pressing any action while going through a platform will cause you to platform cancel.

I see a lot of Marths doing this slidy Shield Breaker thing in the ground. How is that done? Is it just a foxtrot Shield Breaker?
To do a grounded B reversal is the same as in the air. Let me clarify a few things for you.
On the ground, there are three main states of movement. Walking, Troting, Dashing (I guess standing still too. Marth cannot crawl.)

While walking, you can perform any action.
While trotting, there is a certain window where you can turn around, but mostly you can only just, Dash Attack, or do a Side Special (I am aware there are exceptions, but for the sake of keeping it simple). A Trot is the beginning part of a Dash. The part where Marth seems to boost forward before he breaks out into a run.
While Dashing, you can perform any special, or a dash attack, or jump.

While you are dashing, you can perform shield breaker. If you tap the other direction (the one you are not facing) IMMEDIATELY AFTER INPUTTING a shieldbreaker, you will reverse momentum. It's very tricky to do on the ground, but the directions are simple.

Run. Push you joystick all the one in one direction.
ShieldBreaker. Let your joystick go to neutral for a BRIEF moment and hit B.
Reveerse. Push the other direction immediately after you hit B.

It's very, very tricky to do this without accidentally doing a Dancing Blade, but you'll get it with practice.

Soran

Smash Ace
is fox trotting the same thing has haze walk?

is haze walking even a term O.o?

what is fox trotting? lolz

I JUST PIVOT SB'D!!!!

but I'm not sure how ._.
'twas accidental

EDIT: A tip on doing the pivot SB: Try doing it in training mode at slow speeds.

if you can master 1.5 you are truly da bess. I can do it on 2/3 off/on. it's harder. I can do it normal speed but it is hard. I can't really do it whenever I feel like it. but I can do it. yes.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Pierce, you can jump after the up b, you just must make sure you don't use your jump when doing the... up b.

(as in if you don't have tap jump, should be fine, if you do, then gotta be careful).

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm not generally one to pick on join dates, but your information was very misinforming, and opinionated.
I didn't say you should plank, scrooge, air camp, and completely avoid all contact and attempt to time out every game. I said that you need a certain degree of patience to play brawl, and for the most part you seem to be agreeing with me.

projectile camping having a more active feel than passive aggressive zoning may be a personal thing but that's the beauty of a public forum, you get a a lot of different opinions

I'm just an ignorant 09er though so disregard mine

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
Ahh sweet, thanks for the tips guys ^__^

And 1 more thing.... i asked here last week about this retreating fox trotting....or whatever you call it, i couldnt respond to it because i was at an Australian major so ill say it again...

How do i this fox trotting trick what Mr. R did in this video at 0:50?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnymGsO-v5I

I want to 100% master it, since i cant always do it >.> any tips for it?

Reizilla

NEO started playing Brawl Marth in 08. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME, Pierce. What Etecoon said does hold some truth, albeit it's a personal thing, for the most part.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Anything in brawl just takes practice. If you think Brawl's inputs are hard or too intricate you should go learn ANY of the street fighter games. 1 combo took me a week and a half just to perform, let alone use in a real match.

Just practice, if your worried about doing it wrong...take a break. Breaks are like a reset button, it gets rid of bad habits. When I say break I mean it as in like a week to 3 weeks of not doing/attempting it.

Sometimes your consciousness needs to communicate to your sub-consciousness so that you can effectively use things while you are awake; or vice-versa.

Do you guys remember that video of "M2K's Secret Training" or whatever? Where his hands were still using the controller while he was asleep? I'd bet half of my big toe that it was an input that he should have used in a match, or an input that he is trying to learn.

I wish more SSB'rs would take breaks so that they could get rid of bad habits and progress.

This game is mostly about the mentality and knowledge. Spirit and Mind is 3/4ths the battle in a competitive scene, rarely is it that one wins by bodily actions alone.

Thats just my two cents.

Soran

Smash Ace
Anything in brawl just takes practice. If you think Brawl's inputs are hard or too intricate you should go learn ANY of the street fighter games. 1 combo took me a week and a half just to perform, let alone use in a real match.

Just practice, if your worried about doing it wrong...take a break. Breaks are like a reset button, it gets rid of bad habits. When I say break I mean it as in like a week to 3 weeks of not doing/attempting it.

Sometimes your consciousness needs to communicate to your sub-consciousness so that you can effectively use things while you are awake; or vice-versa.

Do you guys remember that video of "M2K's Secret Training" or whatever? Where his hands were still using the controller while he was asleep? I'd bet half of my big toe that it was an input that he should have used in a match, or an input that he is trying to learn.

I wish more SSB'rs would take breaks so that they could get rid of bad habits and progress.

This game is mostly about the mentality and knowledge. Spirit and Mind is 3/4ths the battle in a competitive scene, rarely is it that one wins by bodily actions alone.

Thats just my two cents.
This is true. I only read the first line. but that is true.

I pretty much mastered pivot SB within the first 2 days of me hearing what it is.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
Ahh sweet, thanks for the tips guys ^__^

And 1 more thing.... i asked here last week about this retreating fox trotting....or whatever you call it, i couldnt respond to it because i was at an Australian major so ill say it again...

How do i this fox trotting trick what Mr. R did in this video at 0:50?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnymGsO-v5I

I want to 100% master it, since i cant always do it >.> any tips for it?
Well, you probably realized that while you are in the initial dash animation, which pierce called troting, you cannot shield. Shield comes out after the animation, but while you are in the dash animation your shield will up much faster (I don't have the frame data). So basically, what Mr. R is doing is to space his dash so he will be inside orion's range when he can shield.

This is good a strat, but use it wisely. A lot of mind games involved in this (or these, idk, english is not my first language) situations.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys practice spacing by yourself? methods? cpus level?
I'll just quote myself xD

Go to training mode and just practice hitting a CPU that's not moving. Aim to tip every move, of course. After you get that down, set the CPU to something other than attack and do the same thing. Then set the CPU to attack and do the same thing. Finally, do it with actual people.
People usually say to use a level 3 CPU. You can also use Bengals' training method:

Phase 4- Timing and Spacing:

One way I do this is very basic. Pick any opponent on any stage, constantly attack and try to tip everything. You want to continuously attack both on and offstage from all different angles to really get a feel for the correct spacing.

The other way is a bit more complex, but more fun and IMO rewarding.

Green Shell Raquet Ball (Video #1 4:11-End)
1.) Pick Hyrule Temple with any CPU opponent
2.) Move all the way to the right side of the stage.
3.) Put the CPU anywhere on that slope/ramp a bit to the left of your position.
4.) Spawn a green shell
5.) Hit it into the wall (edge of the slope CPU is standing on) , and hit it with any attack you'd like as it returns to you. You want to try and tip it every time.

Start out with one move at a time until you are consistently tipping with EVERY move. Then start to mix it up and use a different move every time. I wanted to show more in the video, but it cut off and I didn't wanna re-record, sorry. But this one is my favorite and since I've been doing it for a while, I can tip it with fairs, dtilts, jabs, db1, dsmash, dair, fsmash, or anything very consistently. It is impossible to do with uair, and extremely difficult with nair.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Spacing by yourself?

Like foodies said. Do that.

I would really just fight a level 7 CPU and keep in mind to tip everytime. It's just something that comes in my opinion. You have to think about it so much that it just becomes a habit and second nature so you dont have to think about it.

Laurel

Smash Ace
should i start playing with tap jump on?

how do i get plenty of mu experience if i have no one to play with but myself if this is even possible? lvl 3 cpus?

Soran

Smash Ace
I recently went from TJ off to on.

It doesn't really matter.. since I never utilted from standing position unless I was Ike.

the only problem is probably counting jumps. it's kind of hard since upBing, if you're not careful, will jump before the initial DS animation. if you get hit consider yourself gimped.

Saybr

Smash Rookie
Fast Fall/ edge grab failing

This question may not be specific to Marth, but he's the only character I've encountered this problem with. There have been several times where I used DS to recover, but misjudged the distance, and propelled myself above the edge. I promptly fast fell to compensate, but Marth simply failed to grab the edge. This only seems to happen after I DS with Marth and I fast fall out of it to go for the edge grab. And I know I wasn't out of range either, I was practically brushing the ledge and Marth still didn't grab. I also wasn't in lag from the DS either. Any suggestions as to why this happens?

Reizilla

Laurel, go tap jump on. It can only benefit you in he long run.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I recently went from TJ off to on.

It doesn't really matter.. since I never utilted from standing position unless I was Ike.

the only problem is probably counting jumps. it's kind of hard since upBing, if you're not careful, will jump before the initial DS animation. if you get hit consider yourself gimped.
It helps a lot when you are trying to DS Oos. If you don't have tap jump on, you have to manually input the jump while up-B'ing at the same time. Same with Usmash Oos.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Isn't Uair the strongest option OoS? And if so, why isn't it in common use.

Soran

Smash Ace
It helps a lot when you are trying to DS Oos. If you don't have tap jump on, you have to manually input the jump while up-B'ing at the same time. Same with Usmash Oos.
I have yet to find the oppurtune moment in which to DSOoS. But everybody loves this for some reason.

I uAir OoS a lot by mistake. I'm not sure about the benefit of TJ on so far..
I still seem the same. But I'll keep it like this anyway.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Nope, it's either DS or Usmash. I would outright say Usmash except it has funky hitboxes so it's damage depends on where your opponent is (if you only hit with the feet part I think DS would do more damage).

I have yet to find the oppurtune moment in which to DSOoS. But everybody loves this for some reason.

I uAir OoS a lot by mistake. I'm not sure about the benefit of TJ on so far..
I still seem the same. But I'll keep it like this anyway.
Any badly spaced multihit move (MK's tornado, G&W's bair, etc) on your shield can be DS OoS'd. Well, it works against any badly spaced move on your shield, but it's easier when the attack hitting your shield last longer.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
That point is included in the 2011 Marth thread :], along with other OoS options.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
OMFG CUTEST sig ever ^^^^^^
Thanks. Your avatar is cute too. :3

is there anywhere to read up on oos stuff, like if a thread exists somewhere?
@Shaya/Mike: You guys were working on a general guide like a year ago right? What happened to it? xD

I'm actually starting to write a general Marth guide...it'll probably take a while to finish though. School sucks.

Top Bottom