• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Thank you very much C.J. and Shun Goku Satsu =^.^=

I've played with tap jump the whole time in which I mained Marth (80% of of my Brawl experience)
Is there a reason default controls are better O.o?
I don't like this guy..........I didn't believe P-3 till I saw it.

and call shun somethign whatever his name is reigun.

you want tap jump so you can up B oos correctly, which is faster than other traditional inputs. I personally used tap jump off and switched back recently. Being able to up B oos helps a lot.

Soran

Smash Ace
I don't like this guy..........I didn't believe P-3 till I saw it.

and call shun somethign whatever his name is reigun.

you want tap jump so you can up B oos correctly, which is faster than other traditional inputs. I personally used tap jump off and switched back recently. Being able to up B oos helps a lot.
Thanks ; )

and you don't like me O.o? already? I only said two things ._.
I don't even know this P-3. Am I that infamous?

Umby

Smash Master
It looks like a melee ledge cancel... I could have sworn those weren't in brawl other than specials (see MK's drill rush canceling)
Well it would make sense if you've seen someone get pushed back off the ledge after a grounded attack and into an aerial.

C.J.

Smash Master
Is there any guide on platform canceling?
No, just hit down and use an aerial/air dodge as you pass through a moving platform.

Well it would make sense if you've seen someone get pushed back off the ledge after a grounded attack and into an aerial.
I'm used to those. But I've tried doing what was in that video (using an aerial and hitting the side of a platform/stage then sliding off to cancel it) and couldn't get it to work. Admittedly I didn't try hitting someone while doing it so maybe you have to hit someone.

Soran

Smash Ace
Is there any guide on platform canceling?
yeah, there isn't really helpful tips for it.

I don't know the proper way to do it, but I just hit down when I'm about midway in through the platform. sometimes hitting down c-stick and down simultaneously helps me. I'm really not even sure if it helps but it seems so.

air dodge helps platform cancelling? I'll try it out I guess.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
Whats THE MOST important thing to take note of if im switching from diddy to marth :p I know its an abstract switch, but diddy is not the style im looking for and I just realized that after playing since the release -.-

-LzR-

Smash Hero
All right thanks. I will try to practice it then until I can do it without thinking about it. Gonna be awesome.

Soran

Smash Ace
you definitely just want to spam it any time you can. like in friendlies or cpu battles. (though you may find this difficult since the cpu feels the need to blitz you at every turn)

@Rabbi

just listen to some Mega Man 9 Galaxy Man Stage theme. That will get you started. Then after you listen to it, DL it and listen to it on repeat.

So now you're listening to it on repeat, play Marth how he is suppose to be played : P

Because, I mean, I'm not sure if I use similar styles in my characters. but I feel like I play each character at least remotely to their proper meta-game. But I don't play anybody besides Ike and Marth so.....

P.S. not a FE fan. never played it, probably never will.
I just like the swordy characters : D

I say the most important thing to take note of is use less B moves. yup.
A approach. B punish. though approaching is risky. I bait with Nair or Fair while backing up in the air and quickly jump after they miss their punish.

SkOaRaAn

Smash Cadet
How do you do that platform canceling thing. I saw a video where mikehaze jumped on a platform, and did some flashy stuff to a b-air that killed.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
How do you do that platform canceling thing. I saw a video where mikehaze jumped on a platform, and did some flashy stuff to a b-air that killed.
Use dair in the right time when crossing the smashville plataform.
Works on lylat cruise, rainbow cruise...

Player-3

Smash Hero
hold down and input an action as your feet pass through the platform (the platform has to be moving, like smashvilles or lylats tilting ones)

HotWings

Smash Ace
Im thinking about picking up and alt character.. not that i need one just that i want one. Im a really aggressive player so i need a character that can stay on his opponent at almost all times. Like MK can. But i play melee and brawl and i want my main on both games. So this is why i was thinking of marth as my alt but i wanted to ask someone with exp. with marth. Do you think marth is a good choice for me or do you think someone else would better fit me? I was thinking of fox just because fox acts like a melee character in brawl and is almost just like falco so it wouldnt be hard for me to pick him up.

I mean i can have 3 mains. I just want yals opinions on this.

Thank you for your time

ChKn

Smash Ace
Where should I am for when doing a GR->Tipper F-smash on Wario? Like what part on Wario's body?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Im thinking about picking up and alt character.. not that i need one just that i want one. Im a really aggressive player so i need a character that can stay on his opponent at almost all times. Like MK can. But i play melee and brawl and i want my main on both games. So this is why i was thinking of marth as my alt but i wanted to ask someone with exp. with marth. Do you think marth is a good choice for me or do you think someone else would better fit me? I was thinking of fox just because fox acts like a melee character in brawl and is almost just like falco so it wouldnt be hard for me to pick him up.

I mean i can have 3 mains. I just want yals opinions on this.

Thank you for your time
MK is definitely the character to use if you want to be aggressive...but if you have to have your character be in both games, Marth doesn't do too bad offensively. Fox's run speed is notable, but I wouldn't say he has good/safe approach options (not that he has to approach in the first place). He does have some nice followups after a dair though. His upsmash is really good at killing, except it's one of his few kill moves. So...all three characters you chose can work, but MK is still da bess.

What kind of role does marth play in teams??? GO GO GO!!!
(im teaming with mike for a texas tourney :) )
Well, it does depend on who the partner is, but Marth can be the main aggressor or just hang back and cover his partner's openings. He's probably not going to be the stock tank and he won't be helping his partner recover much either.

Where should I am for when doing a GR->Tipper F-smash on Wario? Like what part on Wario's body?
His feet? Sort of...
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atp3uAHZADE#t=2m25s

HotWings

Smash Ace
Well he doesnt have to be in both, i mainly play brawl anyways. So yeah i think i will pick up MK just because he is aggressive and plus he matches my name. Hotwings... MK has wings... you get the point lol.

Marth isnt really always on his opponent like MK is so i guess i will choose MK. Do yal think MK is the best pick for aggressive characters? If you can think of more please tell me. But i think MK would best suit me and i can have someone to back me up in my bad matchups :)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
It looks like a melee ledge cancel... I could have sworn those weren't in brawl other than specials (see MK's drill rush canceling)
There aren't. This only happened because Marth was experiencing knockback of a move (Falcon's uair) which allows Marth to ledge cancel his dair.

Soran

Smash Ace
Well he doesnt have to be in both, i mainly play brawl anyways. So yeah i think i will pick up MK just because he is aggressive and plus he matches my name. Hotwings... MK has wings... you get the point lol.

Marth isnt really always on his opponent like MK is so i guess i will choose MK. Do yal think MK is the best pick for aggressive characters? If you can think of more please tell me. But i think MK would best suit me and i can have someone to back me up in my bad matchups :)
Take Mew2King for example.

Dude is a boss Melee Marth and a great(probably the best) Meta Knight. So do that.
I personally play Marth in Melee because I like swordy/bishounen characters. Same reason in Brawl. I also just enjoy playing Marth. When people like to ask who they should main, my only answer is just play with the character that feels the most comfortable to you.

In my friend's case; he doesn't want to be Ike seriously anymore. He plays to win. He has switched to Meta Knight and Falco..... Okay, maybe that wasn't a good example. But just play who you feel like is the most comfortable character. But MK is cool.... I just stink with him ._. *loses to Ganondorf*

etecoon

Smash Hero
brawl is brawl, no one can be played truly aggressively. marth and MK actually both require a lot of patience because of not having a projectile, it's a much more passive style of play

maining the same character is also a bad idea IMO, increases impulses to carry habits from one game to the other

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
brawl is brawl, no one can be played truly aggressively. marth and MK actually both require a lot of patience because of not having a projectile, it's a much more passive style of play

maining the same character is also a bad idea IMO, increases impulses to carry habits from one game to the other
What are you talking about?

I play very aggressively, and find relatively good success. Also, I mained Marth at the end of Melee, and a lot of the skill carried over a lot. Also, see Neo and MikeHaze (and I don't know about Mr. R.)

A lot of people who didn't main Marth in Melee that are good now, mained Roy, LMAO

Is that 09 join date legit? I don't have a problem with '09ers, but you should try not to advise people in areas you only assume about.

That being said, I'll grant that Brawl DOES require patience, and sometimes rewards defensive play, but most of the top players are generally aggressive, or rather I'll say, proactive instead of reactive.

etecoon

Smash Hero
seriously? a join date ad hominem? expected more out of you pierce, but yes this is my second account, I assumed mods could see that?

dunno what you're talking about either, neo and mike camp just like anyone else I've seen, I've only seen a few games of Mr R so no comment on him, EU's metagame is totally different anyway though

Soran

Smash Ace
if you don't know about Mr-R...

**** and O.O`'

yeah, I feel pretty aggressive when I play. Marth is better off aggressive. At least for most match-ups. But Marth is a great "in-'jo-face" character. Because the moment you get out of your opponents "face" , you have to work harder to get back on "their face"

Soran

Smash Ace
America makes video games seem interesting. that's all ; )

backontopic,

do we still refer to short-hop>nair, land>short-hop>nair as Nair-plane?

I like diz term xD

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Hitting G&W's Upb

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gO6w_5eyo

What should we try doing if he drops from the ledge? Ledge drop -> DS is too risky. Miss by even a single frame and marth gets launched high and falls to his doom.
Video says G&W has 1 frame of vulnerability, and Pika's nair hits on frame 3. Marth's fastest aerial comes out frame 4...just looking at that I don't think Marth can do anything. This is assuming Pika dropped off at the latest possible time though. Ledgedrop fair might work if you drop off earlier, but I'm not sure if that's possible/you would still have your invincibility then.

In the end it's probably safer just to edgehog and hit G&W when he lands on the stage. :/

do we still refer to short-hop>nair, land>short-hop>nair as Nair-plane?

I like diz term xD
I've never actually heard of that before. Sounds like the ZMT. :p

Rad

Smash Ace
Probably a silly question but

If Snake is Cyphering and he's out of range of a Dair but still in range for Fair, you can UpB in a similar fashion to MK. You'll hit the cypher (make sure to DI it appropriately). It can potentially kill, but is just good for dealing more damage mostly. If you don't use your second jump, it can actually set up for a spike if you properly DI the cypher.
DI how exactly? Thanks. :)

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
So like i met Rad on the weekend and he told me that i can platform cancle by tapping down as well as C-stick down, which is better to learn? :p
btw nice meeting you haha

Gah777

Smash Lord
I see a lot of Marths doing this slidy Shield Breaker thing in the ground. How is that done? Is it just a foxtrot Shield Breaker?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Dash, then after the initial dash animation Marth will start running. During the run animation, simply b-reverse a shield breaker.

Soran

Smash Ace
b-reverse a shield breaker? *wants to try it out*

do you mean turn around then b or.... I guess I'll see I can do it. even though I have no idea what it is.

<----- nub.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Probably a silly question but

DI how exactly? Thanks. :)
I did some random tests and I could never DI the cypher. It always sent me away from it. For example, if Snake is facing you and you hit the front of the cypher, you will go on the front side of Snake. If you hit the back of the cypher it hits you to the back of Snake.
This then confused me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A#t=5m02s
It didn't really look like it, but I'm assuming he hit the back side of the cypher. Or I just fail at DI and it is possible. Pierce should clarify since he was the one that posted it in the first place :p

So like i met Rad on the weekend and he told me that i can platform cancle by tapping down as well as C-stick down, which is better to learn? :p
btw nice meeting you haha
Tapping down while doing an action (such as fair) is safer because if you mess up you won't be lagging with a dair. But if you get it down it doesn't really matter which method you use (I believe Mr.R uses dair).

b-reverse a shield breaker? *wants to try it out*

do you mean turn around then b or.... I guess I'll see I can do it. even though I have no idea what it is.

<----- nub.
Use shield breaker and quickly flick the stick in the opposite direction. I find it easier to do in the air, so you might want to try that first. It'll be obvious when you do it since there will be a complete reversal in your momentum (note that you have to have the momentum in the first place).

Top Bottom