• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The safety of Fair
The viability of approaching
The ability to get rewards for making reads consecutively
The thrill of tipping (yes, it's 2010, and I still get off when I hit someone with a tipper)
Breaking people's shields
The ability to mix-up, and adapt

Soran

Smash Ace
getting off from tipping... peculiar.

*criticals* UUWAAAGGHHH!!!!!

>.> that would be weird. I'm use to it now. It's more of a high if you spike with Marth.
but it's sorta easy in a way... well, when you get use to it; it becomes one of the easier meteor smashes to pull off. Mainly because it comes out so fast.

V

Smash Ace
This is gonna sound dumb but I need tips for ganon. I get havok's snake to one stock (first time fighting a good snake) but I lose to my friend's ganon. F*ck low tiers I hate having to waste my time learning those MUs

C.J.

Smash Master
Camp him

Everything not jab/grab is slower than reaction. Just wait and react. If he jump he has two other faster than reaction attacks... walk away from them, lol

Ganon's entire game is baiting and punishing. Play super gay and he has literally 0 options. Actually go after him, and he has the ability to punish.

V

Smash Ace
Camp him

Everything not jab/grab is slower than reaction. Just wait and react. If he jump he has two other faster than reaction attacks... walk away from them, lol

Ganon's entire game is baiting and punishing. Play super gay and he has literally 0 options. Actually go after him, and he has the ability to punish.
That's what I'm finding out. I started to dash away and DB everything he did and it worked. I just get sick of playing agaisnt a character that I'm never gonna face in tourney

Albert.

Smash Master
Camp him

This is how I feel about the majority of the cast.

It's like- I'm doing all the work for them- when they get damage on me. It's because a good majority of the time, it's because they're capitalizing on MY mistakes and not actually actively setting up any of their own s*** up, just reacting to my mess ups.

this is why I stopped being an aggro marth and switched to being a campy/middle of the road marth.

Pierce what do you think about this conundrum?

(not trolling)

Edited to ameliorate horrible sentence structure.

Duckman

Smash Rookie
How are you supposed to fight snake? All the MUs and advice and stuff is "do this when he's in the air" or "do this when he's off the stage" blah blah blah

But that still leaves the 90% of the time that snake will be on the stage doin ****

Best move vs. dacus?

If snake has a nade in his hand (just regular....not shield drop->pick up) whats the best course of action?
Preferred approaches?

CPs?

Anything else?

C.J.

Smash Master
You do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5tw2Y5AWAk&feature=player_embedded
and some of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSC8Ts8LL0&p=6B9EE223046A3013&playnext=1&index=42

When he DACUS(es?) just shield it and punish him. If you REALLY want to, you can jab or dtilt him out of it I guess.... Just shield and punish it.

When he has a nade, walk towards him Be careful to keep time on the nade blowing up. He can only throw it and grab soooo... hit him or grab him.

Just... get Snake up in the air or off stage via throws/other stuff and proceed to **** him. Full hop fair ralalalapes Snake. He can't do anything to you except powershield and utilt. Once you hit him with fair, just keep following up with stuff. Once Snake does get hit... well, look at the videos to see what happens, lol.

As for CPs Brinstar, Battlefield, and Smashville.
Stay away from FD and Frigate. Holy crap this MU is dumb on that stage. RC is meh. Snake is freaking dumb on the boat part of the stage. The rest of the stage though you beat him just like everywhere else. If you know the stage and like it, CP it. Otherwise, don't.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey im still having trouble figuring exactly how to do the tipper fsmash out of grab release on wario can som1 please explain a bit thouroughly.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This is how I feel about the majority of the cast.

It's like- I'm doing all the work for them- when they get damage on me. It's because a good majority of the time, it's because they're capitalizing on MY mistakes and not actually actively setting up any of their own s*** up, just reacting to my mess ups.

this is why I stopped being an aggro marth and switched to being a campy/middle of the road marth.

Pierce what do you think about this conundrum?

(not trolling)

Edited to ameliorate horrible sentence structure.
Often I feel the same way. I just acknowledge is a character with high rewards for precision but low margin for ever, so you just reduce mistakes. It's frustrating for me because I'm not as technical or consistent as the other top Marth's, and it holds me back a lot.

How are you supposed to fight snake? All the MUs and advice and stuff is "do this when he's in the air" or "do this when he's off the stage" blah blah blah

But that still leaves the 90% of the time that snake will be on the stage doin ****

Best move vs. dacus?

If snake has a nade in his hand (just regular....not shield drop->pick up) whats the best course of action?
Preferred approaches?

CPs?

Anything else?
Zone Fair in front of Snake when he's on the stage, as if you're trying to hit Ftilt, and randomly commit to actually trying to hit Snake. Also, randomly run in and shield, but feint a LOT, so you don't get grabbed for this. Zone with Nair against Nade walking (but not otherwise). Use double jump and full hops a lot when Fairing, to make it harder for Snake to land a Dash Attack. Land far away from Snake.

If you think Snake is going to Dacus from mid-range to far, turn around before shielding. If you have balls aka good reaction speed, just UpB it right away like it's Mach Tornado, lol. DownSmash is also good, only if you're advanced. Jump back Fairs are also good.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
What moves hit falco out of phantasm?
Any move will if you are in the right spot. Falco has only 3 vulnerable spots during phantasm: the beginning, the end, and a little spot just before the middle. If you want to hit Falco out of phantasm, then try spacing it so you are about 1.5 fsmash lengths away from him.

I main Falco, and I would say the most effect attack for this situation is Fair. If you predict it, fsmash or upsmash can kill fairly well. Nair also works well if you can't time the other attacks too well.

Any advice on when I should go for a spike offstage? I still kinda suck at tipping it so I go for another aerial and it usually has the desire result, but sometimes i hit them too far back up.

V

Smash Ace
How do I beat MK's fair? It always goes through my jab and trades with my ftilt. When he does it on my shield he spaces perfectly and retreats it. How to I punish it on shield? Also, how do I beat dtilt?

F*ck meta knight

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
Just curious, is there any use for wavebouncing dancing blade?
Make your land more unpredictable and it help you to space better in some situations

Edit: I missread SB =x
I don't see any use to wavebouncing DB...

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
GR tipper Fsmash on Wario.

Cant get it to work by just stutter stepping.

CAN get it to work by linking a true pivot.

Am i making it more complicated than I need to? Everyone says just practice the timing, but does it actually work out of a straight stutter? Maybe Im fail

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Thats what im saying...and everyone says timing yet i have great timing at these sort of things but i CANT get this shiz to work

i watch leon do it and it looks like he moves faster than a stutter step would but im not sure...

C.J.

Smash Master
Seriously guys, there isn't a trick, lol. People stutter step to help with the feel of it. It's seriously JUST timing. It's hard at first so just keep practicing.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
As a falco main, fair tends to **** phantasm, it sucks.

I've heard whispers in the darkness that marth can chain a dthrow 10 times, but i've never seen it done or seen it in writing in a guide. Can anyone confirm this (with a video would be sweet).

Rad

Smash Ace
What's the deal with D-throw Chaingrabbing Pikachu? I just read in a post by Shaya that Pikachu can buffer a Spot Dodge and escape it (so you should F-throw x 2, D-throw, F-smash for 33% instead).

I realise that the boost grab CG on MK was dis-proven, but does the extra distance you get when dashing backwards and grabbing immediately from a boost grab make the D-throw CG on Pikachu inescapable?

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
so i should probably know this but how many frames does it take to bring up marth's shield? is it the same for all characters?

also marth's dash to shield takes 17 frames right?

soif

Smash Rookie
Can someone describe to me where in Marth's dthrow I should be pressing dash? I know it's in the last ten frames but what is Marth doing that might help me?

And am I just buffering the dash or both the dash and the grab?

Top Bottom