• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

etecoon

Smash Hero
timing is just something you need to practice, you can instant boost grab by smashing left/right + cstick down + grab or shield, this is also incredibly useful for pivot grabbing as it allows you to do it and always get the retreating slide

gravy

Smash Ace
Is there any way someone could make a marth specific guide to buffering? Im having trouble with a lot of it, and some of it im not even sure if its possible ex:buffering a turn around grab after spotdodge. Possibly pictures of the point that we could start to buffer would help? All i know is its overwhelming trying to learn it all.

Player-3

Smash Hero
eh? buffering? thats a general thing just learn how long your moves last while you play but then when you do something just input the next action you want to do before it ends

gravy

Smash Ace
Well i guess im trying to say it would be nice to know what aniimations i can start buffering in, especially in grab releases, how to buffer turn around grab as soon as i land, stuff like that. If i knew what animations i could buffer at no matter what i was doing it would help so much.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Buffer window: 10 frames
Reaction time: ~12 frames

You have to anticipate anyway. It's easiest to just learn the timing yourself.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
How does the Yoshi/Marth MU work in Yoshi's Perspective. I know it's 65:35, but i'd still like to know what works on Marth rather then Egg lay (Heavy armor > F/Nair) Egg toss and Nair.
Also what neutral/Counterpick does Marth despise the most?

:320:

Laurel

Smash Ace
does the yoshi boards not have a board to ask this on

then again there is only like 5 of you...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Tourney set I haven't played you in tourney yet, except I think at Tofers small smashfest. Either way learning MU's not just to beat you but other marfs as well.
P.S.: Been writing notes n stuff in a black Composition Book! Basically patterns and how they do stuff based on their Muscle Memory.

:320:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Yoshis name-search "Yoshi?" Just ask Polt. I'm sure he played Chaz while in FL.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Well i guess im trying to say it would be nice to know what aniimations i can start buffering in, especially in grab releases, how to buffer turn around grab as soon as i land, stuff like that. If i knew what animations i could buffer at no matter what i was doing it would help so much.
grab releases only have a 2 frame buffering window.... its really hard

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Delta-Cod only camps and hence is free, just tedious.

To defeat Marth, you must mix up camping, to persuade Marth to approach you (eggs are very good). Use pivot grabs to dissuade Marth from rushing in recklessly. Then use Usmash and Dash Grabs to hit Marth unexpectedly. This strategy is very effective.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Yea every time I'm in any platform against my friend's icy's he just destroys me with up airs and if I stay grounded one grab and one stock gone.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
marth doesn't really have a boost grab.

But a boost grab is you start a dash attack and then input a grab.
For a lot of characters this allows you to do a dash grab that covers more distance in the "dash part".

With the gamecube controller you are dashing, press down on the c stick then press z.
You can see the difference with Snake or Falco, noticeably. Marth not so much.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Just like when you do their DACUS? Is that how you do a DACUS? Also do people know that if you run and hold diagonal down you run slower and is there any use of it.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I don't know if this is known or if it works all the time but I got it a couple of times down throw mk at 40 percent stutter step to tipper it works for me can someone please test this or let me know if it's known.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
I'm having some problems with coming back from the ledge after using up-B. I get the BS landing lag from up-B when I normally land, but with an opponent out of range of ledgehop F-air, but in range to punish a whiffed one, what should I be doing? I get stuck with the landing lag for later often, like when I'm chasing them. I jump after them and always get those horrible lag frames.

Help would be very appreciated :)!

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Gawd landing lag is so fricken annoyin, i don't understand why some characters get it and some don't. There isnt rly a safe option if there is no platform about, like SV and BF, just mix up your recovery from the ledge everytime.

Nike.

Smash Hero
What Anaky said. It's marths biggest major flaw, we all have to deal with it. Even players like mikehaze or leon get punished from it all the time. Characters like Metaknight, Marth, Diddy, Lucario, DDD (just to name a few) all have a huge advantage over us when we're holding the ledge, especially above 100%.

You simply have to outplay your opponent.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I often just ledge-camp until using a ledge hop mix-up is a viable option. Also, standing up is decent. RARELY, I roll. Ledge-jumping is also good.

Just be patient. Punishing a whiffed Fair is only viable for a few characters anyway, and ledge-jump is often effective. Against characters like DDD or DK, just be patient and guess correctly.

Top Bottom