• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
How do you DI out of Pikachus Dsmash?
everyone tells me it's really easy but no one tells me how to do it.
Smash your C-Stick and Joystick upwards every hit. If you do it right you'll only get damaged 4%.

@Mav: Are you coming to Columbus this weekend? I can help you with it since I know Falco's side too!

For Down DB, DI outwards..don't DI up and outwards because then you might approach the "flat" and non-tipped part of the blade slower. IDK, it's either out or up and out

I've seen people dancing blade out of normal hit 1 and 2 simply by hitting out as soon as they get hit but you have to predict that. It's possible to get out by the third by mashing out.
(For Down DB)You can even DI Up and Towards with characters with good Bair's, like Snake, and just B-air them immediately. My friend does it all the time, beastly DI.

V

Smash Ace
What's safer on the Ice Climbers between SHFF Fair and a regular SH Fair with DI?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You should always mix up the patterns for when you start fair as to not have the attack perfect shielded.
You're looking for holes in what they're doing on the spot as they can't punish well spaced fairs on shield.

V

Smash Ace
You should always mix up the patterns for when you start fair as to not have the attack perfect shielded.
You're looking for holes in what they're doing on the spot as they can't punish well spaced fairs on shield.
If you land an non-tipped dtilt against them, would it be safe to follow up with Dancing Blade?

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
What is the timing for Marth to Dolphin Slash Metaknight out of grab release? Does it have to be frame perfect timing or would I be better off trying to GR fair for a KO?

I can't seem to get DS to connect no matter what timing I use.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
What is the timing for Marth to Dolphin Slash Metaknight out of grab release? Does it have to be frame perfect timing or would I be better off trying to GR fair for a KO?

GR --> UpB is probably the easiest of all the grab releases to time. Just work on it in practice mode, it's normally fresher then Fair and KOs earlier.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

It's one of the easiest to do, the only being arguably as easy is DB after Air release.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I've been messing around with Dancing blades, and I'm debating on whether using DB, DB UP, DB Down, any DB is faster than most db chains. I don't find it very safe but if it could help keep people from DI'ng out of it, it may be worth it

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
what are the best stages for marth?

i know battle field works well for marth already and i heard lylat is good.

Nike.

Smash Hero
VS Olimar:

When Marth is zoning fairs, Olimar pivot grabs. After a Fair, DS on landing is out of range because Olimar is no longer holding shield and has started the pivot from a distance. Marth gets grabbed.

How can marth avoid the pivot grab? What's the strategy against this?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol awsome thread WhatIsRaizen! Thanks for making and maintaining such an entertaining thread XD.

Try to bait his pivot grabs via mindgames and such... try to trick him into thinking you're about to Fair him and then avoid the grab by staying out of range or DI'ing back, jumping, or etc.

Platforms help against Olimar so that you have more "safe" areas, and so you can land on them while approaching if an approach fails and you need a way to quickly avoid his grab.

He is hella annoying though... XD

Also with platforms, especially on Battlefield, you can just stay up there and hover above his grab range and drop down and fair while jumping back up.

Just remember to save your second jump to save you.

Albert.

Smash Master
Is the Grab Release > tipper FSmash on MK legit?
No not at all LOL go find whoever said that to you and give them a high-five from me for being such an epic troll.

I've been messing around with Dancing blades, and I'm debating on whether using DB, DB UP, DB Down, any DB is faster than most db chains. I don't find it very safe but if it could help keep people from DI'ng out of it, it may be worth it
DB regular is fastest most useful. Hard to DI out of.

DB Up ending is good to set up juggle traps but can be DI'd away from at high-ish percents

DB Down is good at low percents for damage wracking but really you should avoid using it too much because its easily punishable, peopl can even DI into you through the twirling hits and then hit you with something before you're even in cool-down lag :x Example: marth can DS marth out of DB Down

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
No not at all LOL go find whoever said that to you and give them a high-five from me for being such an epic troll.

DB regular is fastest most useful. Hard to DI out of.

DB Up ending is good to set up juggle traps but can be DI'd away from at high-ish percents

DB Down is good at low percents for damage wracking but really you should avoid using it too much because its easily punishable, peopl can even DI into you through the twirling hits and then hit you with something before you're even in cool-down lag :x Example: marth can DS marth out of DB Down

Oh yea that's understandable, the question I was getting at was if I did DB like this

> ^ v *finish* if it would be fast that doing the regular set up > > > >.

actually now that I think about it, if I did do it that way, it'd be really easy to DI out of, not to mention the possible fail rate, and get punished for doing so.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
VS Olimar:

When Marth is zoning fairs, Olimar pivot grabs. After a Fair, DS on landing is out of range because Olimar is no longer holding shield and has started the pivot from a distance. Marth gets grabbed.

How can marth avoid the pivot grab? What's the strategy against this?
You have to stay in the air against Olimar—it's silly to follow shielded f-airs up with anything other than another aerial—especially dolphin slash; stay away from that move unless they hit your shield with something, which Olimar should rarely be doing.

Likewise, d-tilt, dblade and jab can all be grabbed if the Olimar isn't a *******.

I've found, that more so in this match-up than others, you really have to play off of your opponent's airdodges—if you can't read them, you're going to have a hard time winning. This is especially important at low percents, where your f-air will pop him up just high for you to follow up accordingly, based on his reaction, i.e. f-air, airdodge, whistle, etc.

Grabs are also genius against this guy—use them sparingly when he's grounded—his grab will always beat yours out. However, if he's in the air, he can't grab—get him when he comes down. If you're able to play off of his habits when returning to the stage, you're setting yourself up for win.

On the note of him returning to the stage: pivot-grab and d-tilt both beat out Olimar whistling or airdodging into the stage, and he should always be recovering to the stage and not the ledge since Marth is able to abuse the hell out of his up-b. Also, since you are forcing him to up-b onto the stage, he's going to suffer landing lag, which means, that in most cases, you should be guaranteed a ledge-hopped n-air—tipper them, because, at high percents, this is likely to send him off the other end of the stage, resetting the situation.

I won't preach about him being offstage equaling a stock, or him on the ledge meaning a promised +50%, because if you play the match based solely off of that info, you won't beat any experienced Olimars.

Other small notes:

His roll is TERRIBLE, it barely moves him at all = dancing blade.
Beware of spot-dodge -> d-smash, it can send you at odd angles, resulting in early deaths, outside of that, it also kills earlier than most of our moves.
Most Olimar's will bank on your invicibility frames running out while you're on the ledge and will come from below you with an u-air, if you know this is coming, a f-air from the ledge can lead to a stage spike, resulting in an early death for Oli.
As with all of our match-ups, be extremely cautious with dolphin slash, this isn't an offensive move. You can't afford to whiff them, especially in this match-up—Olimar hits like a tank, and with the correct Pikmin, can KO you much, much earlier than you can KO him.

Of course, don't forget to abuse the same general Marth-shenanigans that work on everyone: d-tilt -> dblade, fffair -> dblade, f-throw -> d-tilt/dblade, the occasional juggle-traps, etc.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol Casanova, just 2 posts earlier your post count was 1234. Congratz XD.

"Oh yea that's understandable, the question I was getting at was if I did DB like this

> ^ v *finish* if it would be fast that doing the regular set up > > > >.

actually now that I think about it, if I did do it that way, it'd be really easy to DI out of, not to mention the possible fail rate, and get punished for doing so."

That's what I initially thought when I read your post XD.

Well since each variation hits in a different area and at a different time and all, each can obviously be good in specific situations. For example (this info is not necessarily correct, it's just for show), if they're DI'ing up out of DB^, and DI'ing up is bad against DB V for that one swipe, then you can change for the next one to keep them sucked in.

However you would have to really practice to get each hit to come off smoothly and know all the different DI weaknesses and strengths of each swipe. So it's more worth it just to stick with the regular one if you want reliable damage and knockback.

Powershield Practice!

I suck at defense with every char I use. With Marth I've developed a pretty good sense of spacing but my biggest weakness in defensive is shielding. I'm **** at powershielding and have no practice in it and I often forget to shield. If not I just shield predictably hoping my opponent messes up. Improving this part of my game will make me top notch- I'm sure of it.

How can I practice it?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I suck at defense with every char I use. With Marth I've developed a pretty good sense of spacing but my biggest weakness in defensive is shielding. I'm **** at powershielding and have no practice in it and I often forget to shield. If not I just shield predictably hoping my opponent messes up. Improving this part of my game will make me top notch- I'm sure of it.

How can I practice it?
Go into training mode against level 9 Snake (or any character of your choice) and play every second expecting to get hit, anticipating a move to shield/powershield. This will also allow the development of your OOS game.

Go into training mode against level 9 Snake (or any character of your choice) and play every second expecting to get hit, anticipating a move to shield/powershield. This will also allow the development of your OOS game.
Well I can't do this forever and every attack varies in terms of start up lag. And in a real match the opponent will not be predictable. Any other methods?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
And for projectiles, you can always get a Falco to spam lasers at you (and can mix it up with double lasers and stuff) while you shield (and later walk/run back and forth) XD. Always fun to do especially with a friend.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Powershielding:
Training mode
1 CPU lvl 1-3
2/3 speed
set CPU to attack
Powershield
Repeat with 2 CPUs
Now practice at normal speed

Also, stuff on super mario bros. and mario kart shy guys at 2x speed, while blinking.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
How I can do a Dair on the ledge without without fastfall and not using the midair jump?
Same for run offstage and dair without fast fall

I did it once but dont know how...

TRA

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have upward momentum when you start your dair, you will fastfall. You could always just use your first jump's momentum if you want to save your second jump.

Time
Runs
Away

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I Dont have time to do my first jump, or space for it, and if I use my first jump I can just hold down while I'm going upward and i wont fastfall when doing the dair... even when I'm falling

C.J.

Smash Master
by tilting the analog down, like you would for a dtilt. Also, don't use the c-stick

Top Bottom