• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Platforms, like usual, obviously help Marth too.

Marth can also go under the stage and get back on through the stage instead of using the normal options like get up, get up roll, get up attack etc. It's better for Marth than Falco because I don't think Falco can ledge drop and jump onto the main platform without using Up B. If he does have to use Up B, it's slow and Marth can punish it. However, if Marth is trying to get on, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to use Up B especially with his DB1 boost. But if he does, DS is fast anyway and hard to punish, and he can land on one of the higher platforms so that the Falco can't punish him as well, especially if Marth makes it to the top platform.

It's also harder for the Falco to CG Marth, like into a dair spike or such since there's curves in the platforms or water and such.

And Marth can plank better since he can slash through the stage :). The rest that I can think of, ToZ mentioned.

Lol. That is, if there is more Links and/or that Links have a better presence in the tourny scene.

Yeah but successful dangerous things = epic.
ahhhh...okay
TY.
:)

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble autocancelling my ff fair's into things like dancing blades and d tilts. Instead i keep cancelling into a crouch. Any tips? Btw autocancelling into a jab seems to work.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Np 6Mizu :).

I'll keep repping Link in the friendlies before and after tourney matches!

MIKE! MIKEHAZE! Help? Please? Why'd you pick it, so we can stop taking random stabs (...sounds like my Marth game) at the answer!
lol XD.

MIKE HAZE HAZE MIKE MIKETHEHAZYMIKEHZE THE HAZMIEKEHAZE!!! THEMIKEAYZHAZYMIKETHETHEHAZHZETHEMIKE!!! Show us your ways! XD

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Any character that we beat on RC we beat better on another stage, im pretty sure (<3 BF)

MikeHAZE wins this whole thread, I no longer own.

And to jorgeme: You need to crouch in order to go into a Dtilt, you need to go into training mode until you get the hang of whiffing an autocanceled aerial into the desire ground move input (Nair --> Dtilt is good practice)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hey guys do you ever use the run away and SH bair to punish instead of power shielding? I use it a bit and it catches people off guard a lot of the time.

Also why does no one use counter for multi hit moves? just wondering.
The way counter calculates damage and knockback, Dolphin Slash does more damage, and it is safer.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Really depends on the case, and I do agree that sometimes Counter is safer. It just depends on how high your % is and who you're fighting and stuff.

"i like delfino."

Me too :D.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Yeah, I know that but I don't like getting my shield whittled down for stuff like Zelda's F-smash and stuff like that. I mean I prefer giving X damage and taking 0 damage rather than, take X damage and give 11 - 13 damage.

I also disagree on Dolphin Slash being safer.
It depends, as Ragnarok said.

For example, if you were facing Meta Knight:
He uses Drill Rush. The more sensible thing to do is to use Counter.

He uses Tornado. The more sensible thing to do is use Dolphin Slash (F-Smash or a well-spaced pivot grab would work too).

In most cases, though, Dolphin Slash is more effective than counter against multi-hit moves.

Against Zelda's F-Smash, I would DI out of it, not counter or Dolphin Slash.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
Help~

Umm, my first tournament is this weekend. Because we suck (?), as long as I know, the rules are quit stranges, or this people are a little bit crazy :/. I really don't know. But, the thing is, this tournament isn't 1 vs 1 in three rounds *five in finals, if I am not mistaked*, but, 4 players only in final destination, knock-out battle.

So...

My point is, Marth is light. And doesn't have save killer moves. Also, people say that Marth has disadvantage in this kind of match, because of his lightness.

What can I do? I mean, stay back and take as little damage posible?

Heeelp~

regal68

Smash Cadet
haay guise what does marth say when he counters? closest i can tell is "soku da" which as far as i know translates to "(you are too) close" and or "(your attack is too) close" is this right? (jk i figured this one out its soko da)

also in case anyone knows what does ike say? closest i can tell is "gropin" lol

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Help~

Umm, my first tournament is this weekend. Because we suck (?), as long as I know, the rules are quit stranges, or this people are a little bit crazy :/. I really don't know. But, the thing is, this tournament isn't 1 vs 1 in three rounds *five in finals, if I am not mistaked*, but, 4 players only in final destination, knock-out battle.

So...

My point is, Marth is light. And doesn't have save killer moves. Also, people say that Marth has disadvantage in this kind of match, because of his lightness.

What can I do? I mean, stay back and take as little damage posible?

Heeelp~
Zone like crazy with F-Air and N-Air. Marth has amazing range and can keep people out of his hurtbox by using hard-to-punish, long-ranged attacks.

Almo

Smash Ace
What does everyone think of a Marth/Peach team?
i've actually done this team before. it's not terrible, but they do suffer from a good amount of bad matchups, MK being a pretty big problem.

the do well on stages together like delfino, BF, and i'm a fan of brinstar so i like cp'ing that too. maybe killing might be more of a problem since they're both not amazing in that aspect, and both are very light.

overall, i enjoy the team, and it's not bad. they just lack in certain areas.

Soulgem199

Smash Rookie
I got a quastion (btw my engish is not as pro as you guysXD)

I want to punish a pretty good marth player with my own marth. I played with him but on flat stages like FD i got *****. He mindgames with Neatrul Special and stuff. He also plays around with Front Special, grab/FSpecail Dtilt. Its a little bit a Show off marth if you know what i mean butt still exstream good. Anyone got some tips and advice for me?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I got a quastion (btw my engish is not as pro as you guysXD)

I want to punish a pretty good marth player with my own marth. I played with him but on flat stages like FD i got *****. He mindgames with Neatrul Special and stuff. He also plays around with Front Special, grab/FSpecail Dtilt. Its a little bit a Show off marth if you know what i mean butt still exstream good. Anyone got some tips and advice for me?
Use lots of Dancing Blade (Side+B) and F-Airs (Forward Airs).

Utilize your juggling game and get under him, since Marth is weak from below.

Play the shield and punish game and use lots of grabs.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Made a post earlier but I guess it didn't go through.

Basically, Ike says "You're open!"

And I suggested you spam lotsa Fsmash and DB in that FFA tourny (im assuming its more casual and not a competitive tourny where they decided to have FFA's for teh lulz). You can also plank during the match, although I would play safe and plank towards the end of the match so they don't all team on you or something. DB is pretty safe to use in FFA's especially if they run into the last hit of DB, which would be the most powerful one (especially if you hit with the last one ONLY so therefore it's more powerful since it hasn't decayed itself with its previous slashes).

Also, remember that you can move BACKWARDS and not always forwards. So if you feel he will approach you by running or such, you can always throw in a pivot grab or something. There's nothing you can lose, but a good amount you can gain. To better space, make sure you start DI'ing right after the aerial's range reaches its maximum, so he can't grab you or anything. You'll be amazed how "safe" you will be if you have space behind you.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Since the last 'down' attack of dancing blade can be DI'ed out of with ease. Should I only use it to pressure small shields? Or is it good to use so that they would have to DI off the stage putting me at a slight advantage?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I dont use DB against MK and Marth...that's about it.

Can luigi up b out of it?

Edit:

I played Fatal in tournament this weekend. I literally could not ****ing uair him for the life of me. Every time I would get him in the air he would do that momentum cancel crap.

What do you guys think about the Snake match up? I can beat most Snakes fine but I feel like DB is the only really safe option/punisher on the ground VS Snake and you NEED TO hit him while hes in the air and gimp him or you lose.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Ok i got a question

What do I cp against a MK when FD and SV aren't allowed anymore ?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Ok i got a question

What do I cp against a MK when FD and SV aren't allowed anymore ?
SV isnt that good a cp really anyways cause of the moving platform and how dumb tornado is with it, and it helps him camp, etc.

If Lylat is legal, you can go there, you can try Castle Siege.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
It is patheticly stupid how little options you have VS metaknight for stages. He beats everyone on every stage and if at worst....its even. Hes beatable....but its just dumb.

I beat my first meta knight in tournament last week. It was pretty awesome. I felt all badass and ****. lol

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I know SV isn't that good but i always cp neutrals and bf doesn't rlly work against mk xD

C.J.

Smash Master
I dont use DB against MK and Marth...that's about it.

Can luigi up b out of it?

Edit:

I played Fatal in tournament this weekend. I literally could not ****ing uair him for the life of me. Every time I would get him in the air he would do that momentum cancel crap.

What do you guys think about the Snake match up? I can beat most Snakes fine but I feel like DB is the only really safe option/punisher on the ground VS Snake and you NEED TO hit him while hes in the air and gimp him or you lose.
Why don't you use DB vs MK... it's one of your best moves vs him.

I find snake to be even. Also, dtilt is great vs snake as is grab and jab.. I actually tend to use DB less in this MU than others. And you're definitely right about hitting him in the air/offstage. Also, ignore his grenades. They're distractions, not something to worry about (don't be dumb and get blown up though, watch for cooking).

@ Mr. R I like castle siege, pokemon stadium 1 and brinstar.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
i've actually done this team before. it's not terrible, but they do suffer from a good amount of bad matchups, MK being a pretty big problem.

the do well on stages together like delfino, BF, and i'm a fan of brinstar so i like cp'ing that too. maybe killing might be more of a problem since they're both not amazing in that aspect, and both are very light.

overall, i enjoy the team, and it's not bad. they just lack in certain areas.
Yeah, not the top quality team I imagine.

I would think they would have an easy time killing since both are excellent damage rackers, and Marth kills pretty easily at around 120.
Although if they have trouble killing, the quick damage should provide them with a better chance at it.

Are there any other details I should take note of?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Dancing Blade loses badly to ftilt head on, and getting grabbed by Snake is BAD. Also, grenades. Because of this, I only use Dancing Blade to punish Snake.

I've never teamed with a Peach, but you don't have a dynamic easy access kill move, so you'll be hard pressed to do well.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I've never teamed with a Peach, but you don't have a dynamic easy access kill move, so you'll be hard pressed to do well.
Peach has killing problems? What do my beautiful ears hear? Not saying Peach is a superb team partner for Marth (also no experience) but saying she has killing problems is a bit... odd.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Peach does have killing problems... she has no safe or unexpected killing options...

And PS1 on MK? For real?... That's gimp city...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lol anyone who says Peach doesn't have kill problems has been listening to Dark for too long (I'm hoping he isn't a name search person, I really don't want to get into an argument with him lol). Usmash and fair are like her only strong killers, and fair stales a lot in most MUs, and as for usmash, pretty much need to screw up, like roll predictably in order to be hit with that.
It's basically the sole reason why Lucario v. Peach is in our favor, besides the fact that we can outcamp her. Literally everybody (except those who can be gimped mega badly) who has a decent character design or a relatively good MU with her should live to 140% minimum (this counts floaty characters too).

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Castle siege should do good ? right imma try that one out for now

Top Bottom