• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I would never go offstage unnecessarily against MK. I'm not any kind of pro, but I focus on ledge-traps more than offstage stuff; if you stay out of planking range, you can really screw him over with SH N/F/U-Airs, D-Tilts, DB, Grabs and Jabs.
No no no thats not what I meant. I meant while hes recovering thats where I shine. I RARELY go out and try to fair/bair him. I just wait until he gets back on stage and do stuff sort of like Fox does in Melee. lol.

Thanks for DDD info. (Forgot who posted...too lazy to go back....)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
well you can actually edgeguard MK pretty well, i've been working on it lately. if i get a recording device soon, i'll post up some matches.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
So I've been having alot of problems dealing with Kirby back air spam, it's very hard to approach him and it just gets frustrating. Any recommendations on how to approach kirby more effectively and deal with his bair? thanks!

.AC.

Smash Lord
ask me a question, get an in depth answer. go

edit: how do i grab release DS metaknight? do i jump first, or is it off the ground?
you have to press up for the second hit,tell me about that grab release tech chase you were doing to mk plx as i am now going marth on havok because i cant beat him with other characters =(

EDIT:**** IT JUST TEACH ME MARTH xD

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
you have to press up for the second hit,tell me about that grab release tech chase you were doing to mk plx as i am now going marth on havok because i cant beat him with other characters =(

EDIT:**** IT JUST TEACH ME MARTH xD
its grab release dair but on stage basically. it's easy to do once you get the timing. easier than nair imo

Mr-R

Smash Champion
edge guarding mk is kinda like rock paper scissor, counter beats side b, up b beats nado and edge hogging ( if done correctly ) beats his up b/down b, but if U predict the wrong one ur fuked xD

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey, what are the 3 stages you would bring a snake to in a 3/5 match?(aside from battlefield.)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I wanna know why I should use nair. My friend Asaph keeps telling me to use it, cause all I do is fair. What's good about nair?
It maybe because you only use Fair like you said. It could also be because Nair is a very safe move, especially against snake that love to grenade counter.
The last reason I can think of is because unlike other it hits 3 time, Marth spin in the air 3 X and the 3rd time is the most dangerous.
anybody have anything to add to this?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
First off, Nair is two hits.

Secondly, I approach D3. Zone with Nair and jump back Fairs until you find a break in his defense. You can run in and shield and punish a Bair, or powershield and punish an ftilt (takes practice) Waddles are extremely unsafe. I also cross-up a lot. Once you get D3 offstage, keep him there.

You should edgeguard MK from the edge. You can counter drill rush, and he can't use DownB if you're holding the edge (just ledge hop Nair through him to punish and hit him back out). In my older threads, I have extensive guides that still hold true on how to edgeguard MK, so I suggest you find them. Marth beats MK in the air, so you want to capitalize on the edgeguard as much as possible. From the edge, dropping leaves your back towards MK, and your Bair wrecks him, so it's all good. Counter if he uses a priority ball attack like Drill Rush or Nado. From the edge, jumping into counter or UpB is tricky, and you kinda have to predict it, but it will generally be the third option MKs choose.

I was under the impression that we cannot guaranteed GR Dair MK. Did I invent this tidbit in my head?

Nair is good because it is a linker, and it protects Marth for a longer period of time. It also has incredible knockback on tipper, first hit autocanceled into the ground has great frame advantage, and it shield stabs larger, harder to kill characters very well. It is pivotal and cruicial for zoning in some MUs, including R.O.B., D3, and DK, who are all difficult MUs for Marth.

I personally fight Snake on Neutrals that I am comfortable on. You want to rely on performing solidly, and air and edge-pressure. Brinstar isn't bad though, and neither is Rainbow Cruise.

If Kirby is hitting you with Bairs, it means you are spacing poorly, or getting baited. Marth outranges and outspeeds Kirby, so just wait patiently. If you swing first and miss, Kirby is free to hit you with Bair. Instead, wait until Kirby swings first. Shield if necessary, then jump and Fair him, or punish in the appropriate manner. Simply walking on the ground should make it easy to avoid Kirby's Bairs. I'm also pretty sure jabbing and dashing into shield is effective.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
K, I thought.....
nm...
2 hits got it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0F7QC-1iS4

Why did Mike decide to counterP. this?
What was his reasoning?
Is it good against Falco?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtCk9cCfjqg

Shaya says,"marth....I don't think marth should lose on this stage to snake, oh I...I..I'd say why but people wouldn't ....poeple wouldn't believe me."

What is/are the reasons that marth should win on smashville against snake?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Nair has 4 different 'transitions' of hits, even though the last 3 are considered just one hit (i.e. you can only hit with one of them... which is a shame, would be uber broken otherwise).
(First Front stab, Second Front Stab, Swing behind back, Third Front Stab)

Marth can approach safely and completely run circles around Snake on smashville due to use of the platform.
Marth can float around in the air safely to avoid any of Snake's projectiles or tilts, use his reasonable fast fall speed to punish any gap you see, and having the extra height of the jump from the platform to do those things.

`-`

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
i saw a video of someone standing on the stage next to the ledge and like instantly went from stage to ledge
Oh, that's speedhugging. You simply dash off the stage then quickly do a quarter of a circle motion back towards the stage, making you autosnap the ledge.

EDIT: CJ beat me to it -_- lol

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol.

What about Samus and such? Are they slower?

And if you have good reactions and you properly DI each move as Link, can't you theoretically survive forever because you can DI to the edge and grab on with tether?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Lol.

What about Samus and such? Are they slower?

And if you have good reactions and you properly DI each move as Link, can't you theoretically survive forever because you can DI to the edge and grab on with tether?
There are a few frames lacking invincibility.

The main problem, though, is that you can only use the Z-Air ledge-grab three times before you have to stand on the stage again; if you try for a fourth, your Z-Air comes out, doesn't grab ledge and you fall to the depths of the Death Zone.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
i'm pretty sure it's impossible to di every move to the ledge.

Shadowblazen

Smash Cadet
Two related questions:

1) Can Marth dolphin slash or f-air out of Sheik's f-tilt lock? I tried this against the last Sheik I played (which was the only Sheik I've ever fought against) but was unsuccessful. I was thinking that it might have just been the lag or something. We were playing irl but on a projector.

2) When Snake does his ******** 1st hit jab > f-tilt combo, can Marth dolphin slash immediately after the jab but before the f-tilt comes out to escape the combo? If so, what does it require? DI'ing the jab in some direction? Good reaction time? Etc.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
marth cannot escape a ftilt lock if sheik does it properly iirc
and i'm pretty sure you can dolphin slash out of jab-ftilt, jab-grab and jab-utilt (but not jab combo), just gotta be quick

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who knows about the counter glitch with MK's nado? I mean the one that adds stun to MK the next time he hits or is hit after a whiffed nado counter.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
can someone plz answer this for me?
All I can see:
If you keep Falco offstage, you can gimp because the stage movement and Falco's lack of vertical recovery.

Tippers kill easily here, and Falco is light.
Phantasm is limited on such a small stage.
The arc and ridges on the land stages interrupt Pew Pews.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Platforms, like usual, obviously help Marth too.

Marth can also go under the stage and get back on through the stage instead of using the normal options like get up, get up roll, get up attack etc. It's better for Marth than Falco because I don't think Falco can ledge drop and jump onto the main platform without using Up B. If he does have to use Up B, it's slow and Marth can punish it. However, if Marth is trying to get on, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to use Up B especially with his DB1 boost. But if he does, DS is fast anyway and hard to punish, and he can land on one of the higher platforms so that the Falco can't punish him as well, especially if Marth makes it to the top platform.

It's also harder for the Falco to CG Marth, like into a dair spike or such since there's curves in the platforms or water and such.

And Marth can plank better since he can slash through the stage :). The rest that I can think of, ToZ mentioned.

The day someone can DI Fox's U-Smash to the ledge, is the day Link goes up in the tier list.

DI for the corners; messing with the edge is dangerous stuff.
Lol. That is, if there is more Links and/or that Links have a better presence in the tourny scene.

Yeah but successful dangerous things = epic.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Platforms, like usual, obviously help Marth too.

Marth can also go under the stage and get back on through the stage instead of using the normal options like get up, get up roll, get up attack etc. It's better for Marth than Falco because I don't think Falco can ledge drop and jump onto the main platform without using Up B. If he does have to use Up B, it's slow and Marth can punish it. However, if Marth is trying to get on, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to use Up B especially with his DB1 boost. But if he does, DS is fast anyway and hard to punish, and he can land on one of the higher platforms so that the Falco can't punish him as well, especially if Marth makes it to the top platform.

It's also harder for the Falco to CG Marth, like into a dair spike or such since there's curves in the platforms or water and such.

And Marth can plank better since he can slash through the stage :). The rest that I can think of, ToZ mentioned.

Lol. That is, if there is more Links and/or that Links have a better presence in the tourny scene.

Yeah but successful dangerous things = epic.
I'll keep repping Link in the friendlies before and after tourney matches!

MIKE! MIKEHAZE! Help? Please? Why'd you pick it, so we can stop taking random stabs (...sounds like my Marth game) at the answer!

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
marth cannot escape a ftilt lock if sheik does it properly iirc
and i'm pretty sure you can dolphin slash out of jab-ftilt, jab-grab and jab-utilt (but not jab combo), just gotta be quick
I think if they get the exact timing on jab>ftilt you can't DS out of it. But the timing to get it exact is pretty hard, cause you can't really buffer the ftilt, or snake would just keep doing his jab.

So chances are, you'd be able to DS out of it. And if you aren't able to, at least you're holding up already and that's the best DI you could have for getting hit by ftilt. And you can for sure DS jab>grab and jab>utilt (which never works anyways, unless the person is in the air or you're jigglypuff >_>)

Top Bottom