• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ly;at is a decent neutral, better than PS1, for Marth and the Stage Strike system (people who say Lylat is distracting have bad focus -_-)

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
The only reason why Marth > MK on FD is because of the grab release...that's pretty much it IMO. Who else does Marth legitimately DESTROY on FD? I think FD is one of Marths bad neutral stages. It's definitely not his worst but he has better stages.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol yeah, of course XD.

Hmm guess you guys are right about the uneven stages for stage striking... but shouldn't there be an advantage to going first? The advantage may be a bit large, but if you lose you can just pick a stage anyways.

Ok they may have bad focus, but the stage is even worse when the tourny allows texture hacks and does not allow a player to object to that. It really sucks having to play against a Snake who's pure black or such on a stage like that, especially if the TO doesn't let you turn texture hacks off.

Agreed P.O.F. Good in a couple common cases but Battlefield's way cooler XD.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I apologize Marth boards, this has probably already been asked but;

Q. I know Marth can counter Ness' PK Thunder if Ness hits it (PKT2)...but as for Lucas, does it actually counter or does Lucas keep going through him? I've seen it go both ways but I'm wondering if that's situational or what?

Many thanks.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lucas can get counter pk2'd.

Marth's uair hitbox is flat at the top, whilst MK's dair is an arc.
Hence at the right horizontal positions, Marth's uair wins. Otherwise, MK's dair is slightly more disjointed at around the centre.

In general Marth's uair wins if you're "safely" in the air already due to better aerial mobility and Marth's better fast fall speed.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
Terminology is like a battle isn't it?
Its like trying to remember that :metaknight: main's name that you beat in a tournament yet not care enough to look it up, so you just make up a name for him/her.

That might just be me though.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Hey,

I'm having trouble dealing with good olimar players. Olimar is arguably my least favorite match up in the entire game because of his whistle and his ability to camp Marth extremely well. What should I be doing on stage Vs Olimar? I know how to handle him off stage with aerials, edge hogging, etc but on stage I get camped and his edge game is just as stupid as mine with his stupid I stand near the ledge and fsmash and it hits you while you're on the edge bull****.

I guess my questions are:

How do I get back on stage VS olimar? Some ideas?

and how should i space/camp/approach on stage?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Hey,

I'm having trouble dealing with good olimar players. Olimar is arguably my least favorite match up in the entire game because of his whistle and his ability to camp Marth extremely well. What should I be doing on stage Vs Olimar? I know how to handle him off stage with aerials, edge hogging, etc but on stage I get camped and his edge game is just as stupid as mine with his stupid I stand near the ledge and fsmash and it hits you while you're on the edge bull****.

If someone can answer these it would help me as well. :)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Its like trying to remember that main's name that you beat in a tournament yet not care enough to look it up, so you just make up a name for him/her.

That might just be me though.
Heh yeah XD

One thing that Olimars have good on Marth are their awsome grabs. Just make sure you don't land in front of them in their grab range. Platforms can help you camp above him so you are safer from grabs or pikmin throwing.

Another tool to use is full hopping, if you keep getting grabbed out of your short hops. Or use short hops but just make sure you DI/jump etc away from him so he can't grab you.

Retreating DI's after approaching with aerials will help you DI from any pikmin he may be throwing, giving you space to dodge the pikmin and or fit more attacks in to kill it before it returns to Olimar.

Off the stage I'm not too sure about.

PS1 really shouldn't be a neutral stage. A neutral stage should be a neutral stage. As in, Final Destination. A stage that is symmetrical, flat, etc... not moving much. PS1 has crazy things with the Windmill and the walls and stuff. If PS1 is allowed, then Delfino and Halberd are two stages that should definitely be thrown in.

Mike discovered that he is good at Brawl, especially with Marth.

He has discovered that screaming during an IC's CG can help, but has also discovered that he may be punished for it.

He has discovered a joy in winning.

He has discovered that he has won some tournies.

He has discovered that Brawl is fun.

He has discovered that people starting calling Pivot Walking Haze Walking.

Among many other things :).

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Heh yeah XD

One thing that Olimars have good on Marth are their awsome grabs. Just make sure you don't land in front of them in their grab range. Platforms can help you camp above him so you are safer from grabs or pikmin throwing.

Another tool to use is full hopping, if you keep getting grabbed out of your short hops. Or use short hops but just make sure you DI/jump etc away from him so he can't grab you.

Retreating DI's after approaching with aerials will help you DI from any pikmin he may be throwing, giving you space to dodge the pikmin and or fit more attacks in to kill it before it returns to Olimar.

Off the stage I'm not too sure about.

PS1 really shouldn't be a neutral stage. A neutral stage should be a neutral stage. As in, Final Destination. A stage that is symmetrical, flat, etc... not moving much. PS1 has crazy things with the Windmill and the walls and stuff. If PS1 is allowed, then Delfino and Halberd are two stages that should definitely be thrown in.

Mike discovered that he is good at Brawl, especially with Marth.

He has discovered that screaming during an IC's CG can help, but has also discovered that he may be punished for it.

He has discovered a joy in winning.

He has discovered that he has won some tournies.

He has discovered that Brawl is fun.

He has discovered that people starting calling Pivot Walking Haze Walking.

Among many other things :).

The new one was what I was referring to...

It was the you can do an onstage aerial release>dair on Meta Knight, and tech chase for more regrabs.

C.J.

Smash Master
Hey,

You do this:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2374359

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yet this is the strategy I employed to beat Ken Neth at Genesis and one match off Hall at Evo (having 2 very close matches at another tournament with me also using this strat). No ***** by Nades, no 3 stocks.

It may not be the most effective strategy against Snake; but it has given me matches against well known/good ones.

Don't listen to people who are like "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY".
Marth is a GOOD CHARACTER for a reason. He has OPTIONS COMING OUT OF HIS ***.
Just posting to let you know, I know this was posted forever ago lol. *random name search*

You were the first marth I had EVER fought. And our matches were still close. You wouldn't win doing that now that I actually know how to fight marth.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Haha it's all good. I'm actually going to Belgium for two years, so I'll be quitting smash.

I'm just saying I don't feel that doesn't really work against snake if the snake knows what to do.. Now we have a marth main that I fight all the time and I also main/second marth as well, so I can guarantee I'd give you a better match than last time.

It was nice meeting you at Genesis, btw :)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah it's nice being able to put a name to someone I played.

A lot of people I played I didn't get that opportunity.

Shouldnt be quitting smash over belgium though, you can play Mr.R or something `-`

Mr-R

Smash Champion
So you're moving to belgium ?
how is that bad news xD europe also has a brawl scene

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yeah it's nice being able to put a name to someone I played.

A lot of people I played I didn't get that opportunity.

Shouldnt be quitting smash over belgium though, you can play Mr.R or something `-`
Genesis was seriously the best tourney ever. I had so much fun. Got to meet a ton of really cool people and melee finals were probably the most intense thing I've ever seen.

And I'm not really quitting just because I'm going there, I'm quitting more because I'm going to be super busy every single day and I'm not going to have any time lol.

So you're moving to belgium ?
how is that bad news xD europe also has a brawl scene
I don't really play brawl for the game... I play it cause most of my really close friends play it and I love hanging out with them, and I feel that trying to get into a different scene just wouldn't be the same...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^Emphasis on "busy", for the record.
And I hear Mr. R is doing rather well for Marth.

And for questions, how "safe" is a spaced DB1 on shield? I've been having trouble against shields now, and I've been hearing this is a good thing against some chars if dtilt/nair aren't cutting it.

V

Smash Ace
Mike, is it better to go aggro or defensive against MK? Is it stage dependent?

Cloudstealth

Smash Journeyman
There is no set way to fight against MK, it is extremely player specific.
MKs who just throw out spacing attacks are easier to fight, because you can just time your attack.
MKs who rush down, you need to be defensive against.
MKs who wait for you to space and then punish you, for that you have to mind game and be super patient.

There are many other examples it all depends on who's playing MK.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Approaching DDD? Outcamping DDD? Stages?

This match up is dumb and I'd much rather fight Snake or MK. Snakes grab range isn't ******** so I can just bait him into a move and then DS or DB and then do aerial Balogni.

Edit-I find you really have to constantly camp MK because he has so many options for however you approach that its pretty much pointless. I focus on getting MK off stage and then racking up the damage while hes trying to get back.

I always make sure i'm ready to counter. Its soooo useful in that match up that it makes me cringe. You never really use it in any other match up.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Mike, is it better to go aggro or defensive against MK? Is it stage dependent?

I try to mix it up a lot, sometimes a passive style doesn't work, and i have to go aggressive. it's really dependent on the opponents style and defenses, and who has the momentum at the time. you have to learn the right time to use aggro/passive, imo anyway.

This match up is dumb and I'd much rather fight Snake or MK. Snakes grab range isn't ******** so I can just bait him into a move and then DS or DB and then do aerial Balogni.
that's something i'm trying to figure out, if we get neo in here he can go more in depth ;)

Cloudstealth

Smash Journeyman
Approaching D3 is an even options situation, the only thing that is daunting is the amount of damage you take for being wrong.

D3 has probably 3 main defenses to your approaches which are: Grab, SH Bair, and Ftilt.

Grab is basically used to punish your impatience and nothing else. Everytime you get grabbed you just messed up, think about how he tricked you into getting grabbed.
A. You ran in and DB his shield hoping he would sidestep.
B. You tried to Fair his shield when he was waiting for you attack.
C. You tried to dash and block right in front of him to grab him, and he used his range to beat yours.
(the list goes on.)
Jumping beats his grab because your in the air. You just have to either time your punish on his missed grab, or jump away to be safe.

SH Bair (or full hop Dair) is basically used to punish you jumping at him. He can Bair nothing, then watch to see if you go for the Fair, and then Bair you on reaction. So to beat Bair you just have to not jump, when you see him jump. You can actually run under and upsmash his landing if you notice he likes to land after he Bairs. Or you can run under him and chase his retreating jumps with a Uair or Fair.

So then that leaves forward tilt, this move has more range then your Shield Breaker. You could try powershielding this move, or simply just block and run and DB every single time. D3 has alot of lag for Ftilting, the timing isn't super easy but you can hit him with DB after he Ftilts your shield. If he doesn't hit your shield then your risking it by running in.

And the BEST option, that beats all 3 of D3s options is just WAIT and learn his habits, because that's all he's doing to you. Why do you always have to approach and get punished, when you have percent lead just wait and jab or ftilt the waddle dees.

For CP stages I highly recommend Brinstar, only problem is 9 out of 10 times the D3 will switch and go MK or some character other than D3. Other than that Neutrals are your best bet.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

This match up is dumb and I'd much rather fight Snake or MK. Snakes grab range isn't ******** so I can just bait him into a move and then DS or DB and then do aerial Balogna.

Edit-I find you really have to constantly camp MK because he has so many options for however you approach that its pretty much pointless. I focus on getting MK off stage and then racking up the damage while hes trying to get back.

I always make sure i'm ready to counter. Its soooo useful in that match up that it makes me cringe. You never really use it in any other match up.
I would never go offstage unnecessarily against MK. I'm not any kind of pro, but I focus on ledge-traps more than offstage stuff; if you stay out of planking range, you can really screw him over with SH N/F/U-Airs, D-Tilts, DB, Grabs and Jabs.

Top Bottom