• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Almo

Smash Ace
Yeah, not the top quality team I imagine.

I would think they would have an easy time killing since both are excellent damage rackers, and Marth kills pretty easily at around 120.
Although if they have trouble killing, the quick damage should provide them with a better chance at it.

Are there any other details I should take note of?
they can rack up damage i suppose, but peach doesn't have any unpredictable KO moves. basically what pierce said. 120% is still a decently high % when you could be playing against MK who can gimp marth fairly well or snake who kills a lot earlier.

it really depends on what you want to know. the only times i've teamed with a peach was a long time ago and i was sick (johns) so i wasn't even playing my best and wasn't paying attention to things we did as a team as much. i'm not ranked and people say NE is a horrible region, so i'm not the best person to give advice lol

the marth+peach team is all about experience with the other person and how much chemistry you have. you can't really play stock tank/agressor roles that much.

Almo

Smash Ace
and i actually have a few questions too.

i turn tap jump off (gasp!) so would rolling away OoS against game & watch's Bair work? or would i be hit by one of the hitboxes/landing hitbox. just wondering since dropping the shield to up-b doesn't work obviously.

also is there a rule of thumb vs. dedede and the dancing blade? if he just shields the entire thing then he can shield grab me afterwards. should i always go for the down ending since it eats at his shield more and D3 shields so much anyway?

and lastly, i realize i hardly ever use down tilt. is this going to hinder my game in the long run? should i use it more to punish landing lag or just out-space other characters? or is there any other use for it really?

Gah777

Smash Lord
-No idea, i have no G&W matchup experience. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

-It's generally a bad idea to do DB on shields in the first place...

-Dtilt is good for traps, outranging opponents (except MK & his dtilt), and poking. I wouldn't say not using it will hinder your game, but using it intelligently will definately improve your game.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I would just shield G&W's bair all the way and make sure you have enough shield to eat it. Or you can perfectly shield it and continue to perfect shield throughout the attack.

Sometimes if you DB and you hit a shield, you should try to stop immediately, like after the first hit and if not, then after the second hit.

Dtilt isn't NEEDED but it does help a lot, especially when a Snake DACUS's a lot or such. Or for anyone who runs at you to approach, you can whip out a dtilt to stop them. You can use other spacing tools like fair and even ftilt if you're good enough with the timing. Sometimes though, a certain character's body will stick out near the ground, like if they're doing a low attack or such. In this case, dtilt can give you more horizontal range than things like Fair or Ftilt, which swing in arcs, and therefore can't hit characters "flat" on the ground.

Congratulations Shay for being in the SBR now XD. Woot Marth rep!

And it seems like Pierce is in the SBR too now? :D

Albert.

Smash Master
sorry but i don't understand auto canceling explain

from the Smash Wiki
: Auto-canceling occurs when the character lands at the earliest or last frames of an aerial attack. This causes the character to land with normal landing lag (usually 4 frames) without any additional lag from using the attack.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Dolphin Slash
Invincible frames: 1-5
Hit: 5-11
Landing Lag: 34
Shield Stun: 13

It was in the Frame Data thread, which is right next to the FAQ thread.
...lazy bum :3

Lyov Myshkin

Smash Rookie
I need help with a Kirby Match Up. He just stands at the edge using Final Cutter and when I get around it and approach I get spit off the map. . .
Given how defensively he plays I cannot allways just retreating Fair and Inhale has decent range really, Shield Breaker? Or would I just get sucked in as the move moves me forward as happens with Dancing Blade?

Almo

Smash Ace
if he's just using final cutter, jump over it until you are close enough and simply counter it on his way down (or uair?). if he's inhaling you, just mash until you get out, but to avoid even getting caught in it, a Fair will work.

actually any punish on kirby would work if he uses final cutter. if you're in range, grab and DB would work.

i need some serious diddy help. just played one in tournament yesterday, won on SV, lost on frigate, and lost on lylat. i honestly took control of the bananas and used them. i still found myself getting caught in them way too much and being dash attacked -> up-tilted or dash attack -> fair. is there a better way to avoid the nanerz than just staying in the air?

Lyov Myshkin

Smash Rookie
if he's just using final cutter, jump over it until you are close enough and simply counter it on his way down (or uair?). if he's inhaling you, just mash until you get out, but to avoid even getting caught in it, a Fair will work.
Sorry, if I was not clear, the Final Cutter is not a big problem, just wondering if there is a good way to not be Kirbycided, I Fair alot as it is, but also if I ever try to edge gaurd I get inhaled, if we are in the air I get inhaled. . . any other advice? Does my jab or Ftilit outrange it?

Albert.

Smash Master
Sorry, if I was not clear, the Final Cutter is not a big problem, just wondering if there is a good way to not be Kirbycided, I Fair alot as it is, but also if I ever try to edge gaurd I get inhaled, if we are in the air I get inhaled. . . any other advice? Does my jab or Ftilit outrange it?
If he is spamming inhale and you are getting swallowed constistently then you need to work on your spacing and playing safe. You being predictable and playing poorly is what's causing you to fall into that simple attack.

If you do get caught in the "wind" of the inhale though you can time Fair or jab to hit him out of it, or at least hit him. He'll take the damage while swallowing you. A better trade-off then nothing. You can also mash out of it.

Next time you play him, bait the swallow and then punish.

You should really be worrying about Kirby's Bair and Fsmash.

Dooey_87

Smash Rookie
I could actually keep up with my brother in Brawl, but in + (don't know if anyone here plays +) I can't seem to do anything right with Marth. I am under the impression he's better in +, too. Anyone know why I am so much worse?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@smash01

Well, Marth is a character that requires a good amount of knowledge of the game in data, matchups, and generally how to play. So if you're generally good at reading an opponent, spacing, or etc., then you've got most of the work done. If you're a mediocre brawler, then you will have to work harder to achieve a better understanding of Marth and the game first.

@Dooey_87

You might be too predictable by using only a few certain attacks over and over or approaching in the same way. Can't really say with the info you've given.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Question on marth dittos: does dtilt outrange db1? Also, does uair outrange dair?

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
to 321BOOM... Just well timed attacks, I like down tilt but if you feel you need the extra range shieldbreaker works best for me, mostly stabs i.m.o.

Now my question is just if anyone has any good youtube channels i can subscribe to for marth vids.

Damien = God

Smash Cadet
Probably been mentioned many times, but any tips for his Dair spike? I'm having a lot of trouble connecting with it. It has that sweet spot you gotta hit.

V

Smash Ace
I have a question.

Which characters have a better offensive game than Marth's offensive game?

Gracias

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Usually when i want to Utilt i ended up doing Usmash. How can i fix this?

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Usually when i want to Utilt i ended up doing Usmash. How can i fix this?
You can buffer uptilt right from another attack(Fair, hold up while in the animation then just press A or C-Stick up), or you can just lightly push the joystick up, it doesn't have to be very far. Just practice it.

On another note, whats the exact refresh rate of Dancing blade? Is it considered just one hit? or does it refresh on the amount of hits it does?

Albert.

Smash Master
On another note, whats the exact refresh rate of Dancing blade? Is it considered just one hit? or does it refresh on the amount of hits it does?
I believe that each hit of Dancing blade counts as one hit of Dancing blade.

The full 4 attacks do NOT count as one attack in the stale moves queue.

Each hit of dancing blade is staled equally, as in if you do the up variation one time, the down version is NOT fresh the next time.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I believe that each hit of Dancing blade counts as one hit of Dancing blade.

The full 4 attacks do NOT count as one attack in the stale moves queue.

Each hit of dancing blade is staled equally, as in if you do the up variation one time, the down version is fresh the next time.
You probably said this Al... but worded it weirdly, I dunno, didn't register with me.

Each hit of DB counts as one move, meaning it can refresh 4 slots in the queue. DB cannot refresh ANY other DB hit, doing DB4U (Up) the first time will result in a staled DB4D (Down) the next.

Albert.

Smash Master
You probably said this Al... but worded it weirdly, I dunno, didn't register with me.

Each hit of DB counts as one move, meaning it can refresh 4 slots in the queue. DB cannot refresh ANY other DB hit, doing DB4U (Up) the first time will result in a staled DB4D (Down) the next.
I said it right but I forgot a word which made the last sentence just totally wrong LMAO I just edited it lol thanks

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I have a question.

Which characters have a better offensive game than Marth's offensive game?

Gracias
When you think of Marth's offensive capabilities:

Near top aerial mobility
Near top running speed
Almost top fox trot, best walking speed
Range for speed (start up) and ending lag near best (i.e. aerials)
Transcended priority on moves

I'd say Marth has one of the best.
Only characters like DK/Squirtle/Wolf/ZSS/MK are comparable.

Are any better? Probably.

V

Smash Ace
When you think of Marth's offensive capabilities:

Near top aerial mobility
Near top running speed
Almost top fox trot, best walking speed
Range for speed (start up) and ending lag near best (i.e. aerials)
Transcended priority on moves

I'd say Marth has one of the best.
Only characters like DK/Squirtle/Wolf/ZSS/MK are comparable.

Are any better? Probably.
The reason I'm asking is because if a character doesn't have any sort of defensive game, and Marth's offense outshines their's, wouldn't Marth just have to go aggro and they couldn't do anything about it?

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Should I put tap jump on for Up-B OOS I cant tell If I'm getting the invicibilty frames with R to jump but I have such a hard time having tap jump on I looked through other threads and I'm sure this is somewhere else but I couldnt find it so thanks!

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Should I put tap jump on for Up-B OOS I cant tell If I'm getting the invicibilty frames with R to jump but I have such a hard time having tap jump on I looked through other threads and I'm sure this is somewhere else but I couldnt find it so thanks!
Tap Jump is very beneficial to UpB OoS, it;s recommended.

M@v

Subarashii!
I know its possible to DI a couple parts of marth's dancing blade. Like on the finishing down dancing blade, which is the best way to di to get out the fastest? Also, what are the other parts of dancing blades that give an opportunity to escape(minus powershielding)?

I play this MU a lot with Falco, and even after all this time I'm still not that good at it. :/

clowsui

Smash Legend
@Mav: Are you coming to Columbus this weekend? I can help you with it since I know Falco's side too!

For Down DB, DI outwards..don't DI up and outwards because then you might approach the "flat" and non-tipped part of the blade slower. IDK, it's either out or up and out

I've seen people dancing blade out of normal hit 1 and 2 simply by hitting out as soon as they get hit but you have to predict that. It's possible to get out by the third by mashing out.

goodkid

Smash Lord
What is the most important aspect that a new Marth should work on? How do you guys predict/read opponents so well? It seems easier w/ Marth for some reason.

Albert.

Smash Master
The reason I'm asking is because if a character doesn't have any sort of defensive game, and Marth's offense outshines their's, wouldn't Marth just have to go aggro and they couldn't do anything about it?
Yeah, those characters are called low tier.

What is the most important aspect that a new Marth should work on? How do you guys predict/read opponents so well? It seems easier w/ Marth for some reason.
The most important thing new Marth's should focus on is spacing for the tip, and not spamming certain moves (Fsmash) .

Reading becomes easier when you're limiting their options by pressuring/controlling the stage.

M@v

Subarashii!
@Mav: Are you coming to Columbus this weekend? I can help you with it since I know Falco's side too!

For Down DB, DI outwards..don't DI up and outwards because then you might approach the "flat" and non-tipped part of the blade slower. IDK, it's either out or up and out

I've seen people dancing blade out of normal hit 1 and 2 simply by hitting out as soon as they get hit but you have to predict that. It's possible to get out by the third by mashing out.
Nah. I'm still in college until the 18th. :urg:
I can try to make an Ohio tourney sometime between then and Jan 9th, which is when I leave for my Disney Internship :chuckle: I'll be in Pittsburgh during that time, so almost everything in OH is <4 hour drive for me.

Top Bottom