• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
You sure Kadaj? I'm pretty sure Mario doesn't but, I can fair G&W most times and Mike says fair from grab release on G&W works too.

Shadowblazen

Smash Cadet
They can up b away from you. If they up b straight up they will still get hit but if they do it away they can escape most of the time because te up will lift you up as well as him but he will be moving away from you while your going striaght up
Oh okay, so but if the person I'm playing against doesn't up b away for some reason then I can probably fair them anyways? Or can they just DI away too?

IxxI

Smash Fence
Does anyone know if Ken will comeback or not? He visits the sign every now and then. Maybe he's in hiding. Training with Asian monks teaching him the ways of Brawl's Marth. Maybe, they're showing him having a small sword isn't bad at all.

Your thoughts?

clowsui

Smash Legend
@IxxI: Ken "visits" because Manacloud makes sure his computer is running straight and so he checks smashboards and stuff

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@Pierce and Ragnar0k:

I got it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaadR...e=channel_page

you mean like 1:03-1:04 in this vid, right!?
Yeah! Just like that! That must be it! :D. Whoa he did that with 1 jump?

So yeah... you know how to do it? Thanks for saving me the trouble of finding an example XD.

Lol @ conversation about Marth being a man or woman... XD.
Well Ken actually was a participant in the show Survivor. He was in the Gabon season/series. So yeah that's probably why he stopped, it's to do the show thing. He may or may not come back to Brawl/Melee.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@Ragna the second jump one is definitely like a "phantom footstool", it only happens when you're really close to them and you jump near their head. You get a really high jump but they don't do the footstool tumble animation or anything o_O and if it's vs. meta you're just put in a bad position afterwards because he can uair you

VietGeek

Smash Hero
SaucekayBoozer said he saw Ken at one of his Brawl tournaments in SoCal Land a few months back.

Like...in 2009.

So there's like hope. I also love how I haven't heard of that CPU kid after EVO '08, It's like he trolled the Smash community and got paid by Sakurai and SRK to do so. <_<

∫unk

Smash Master
CPU still plays, he just gets ***** all the time in SoCal so you don't even hear about him.

There's another CPU in SoCal, who is much, much better and plays DDD.

Ken showed up a Quiznos once and did really **** good for not playing often at all.

As far as I know he's wifi training with some of the better Marths right now... for Genesis maybe?

Hype.
not really

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^I heard he just got dragged there for the day or something by someone? Meh. Whatever. If he plays, he plays. It'd be kind of nice if he did but can't blame him if he doesn't.

The CPU kid is off revolutionizing R.O.B.'s item meta-game. He shall return to an item regulated match and show everyone how broken every item he picks up is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In theory, Ken may be forced to go to genesis due to a 'bet'.

But chances are Ken won't lose this bet.

He was probably training on wifi just to make sure he wouldn't lose said bet and be forced to go to genesis :O

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
A question reguarding Marth's Grab release on Wario.

Lets say I have 1 stock and is at 123%
The other person who uses Wario is at 1 stock 134%

There is a good 45seconds left of the match. Is it fair if I just Re-grab-release him?
Is it a legal move or no?

C.J.

Smash Master

There is a good 45seconds left of the match. Is it fair if I just Re-grab-release him?

Or grab, pummel, air release, tipper fsmash/usmash/utilt/uair/whichever is freshest ftw

Tari

Smash Apprentice
*Has searched through most of the threads.*

Is there a guide on how to play Marth for people who started playing in Brawl? No melee experience.

Reason I ask is because.. I wanna 'reset' my Marth; getting rid of my old habits and start new, plus I'm more or less looking for a guide that explains things like.. DI, short hop, fast falling, etc. A basic beginner guide to Marth. :p

EDIT: and also ways to practice everything.

EDIT2: Weeooo. Also, footstool spiking and how to practice it. :D

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
In theory, Ken may be forced to go to genesis due to a 'bet'.

But chances are Ken won't lose this bet.

He was probably training on wifi just to make sure he wouldn't lose said bet and be forced to go to genesis :O
more info plox

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
*Has searched through most of the threads.*

Is there a guide on how to play Marth for people who started playing in Brawl? No melee experience.

Reason I ask is because.. I wanna 'reset' my Marth; getting rid of my old habits and start new, plus I'm more or less looking for a guide that explains things like.. DI, short hop, fast falling, etc. A basic beginner guide to Marth. :p

EDIT: and also ways to practice everything.

EDIT2: Weeooo. Also, footstool spiking and how to practice it. :D
Well you can find most of everything that your looking for in the Marth guide sticky, however our official beginner's guide was deleted, and there is a new one (or two) in the works.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Well you can find most of everything that your looking for in the Marth guide sticky, however our official beginner's guide was deleted, and there is a new one (or two) in the works.
Okay. Thanks. :)

Another question. What kind of things should I practice before going to a tournament?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by Mazaloth

Yes, it is totally legal. Well, of course it will vary depending on the tournament organizer. But, the SBR Rules list currently states that you can infinite chain grab any character as long as they don't reach OVER 300%. So yeah, just keep regrabbing him and he's done for XD. Stalling is great isn't it?

No, one of Marth's sides for the upsmash is a bit longer than the other. Let me find out which.

@clowsui: Oh i see. I think I remembered I might not have been near them, but I think this must be it. I probably remembered wrong again. Thanks :D.

I'm glad you asked, Tari. I've went to my first tourny. It didn't go too well at all XD. There are things you will probably regret if you're not prepared for it. Here's a list of things to prevent them:

Make sure to read all the rules carefully, and make sure you do everything correctly ( setting up the match, stage-striking, etc, making sure your opponent doesn't cheat you or put you at a disadvantage without you knowing).

Also, try to get in as many matches as possible ( friendly or MM, although I just do friendly cus I don't gameble XD ). These matches are what's MOST important for your first tournament. These friendlies will give you a massive amount of experience against other players, so you will be able to better prepare and know what to work on for the next tourny, or even for the tourny on that day ( if you played friendlies before the tourny started ). Try to play as many people as possible. Don't be shy. If people are standing around and sort of just watching matches, just go up to one and ask them if he/she wants to Brawl. 99% of the time they will say yes, especailly the quieter ones. The quieter ones tend to be the shier ones that will sort of go easy and not practice in friendlies. Brawl with one person long enough so that you will start to know their attack patterns and strategies, and that you can think of ways to use against him. Once you get an idea of the player's playstyle, it's probably most efficient to move on to the next player. Just say GG's or something, and say you want to play another player. Try to mention that it's for more tourny experience, or else they may think that you think you're better than them or think that you give up too easily XD.

Also try to watch other players, especially pros, play during their matches. Spectate how they play, how they react to pressure, how they deal with the crowd watching if the crowd starts bothering them.

Oh don't forget to eat so you won't be hungry XD.

Also, get enough sleep.

Also, bring a labtop or a copy of the Chart of all the Character Match-ups ( found in the Tactical Discussion of SWF's forum ). It will be very convenient when you are in a time crunch and need to decide what character to play.

Ok I hope this helped :).

Edit: for practicing, you might want to do some online matches ( AiB is a good site to do this. They have a good ladder system that you can play with others, and play seriously since the matches' results will be recorded on your account to determine your rank ). If you have any specific trouble playing aganist a certain character, be sure to learn more about the character, such as reading a guide about him/her, or playing someone who uses the character.
Try to submit a video with you playing. It doesn't have to be your best gameplay. Even if it was your worst match ever, it will be good to post. Actually, it's probably better to post your worst replays, so that you can learn how to improve on them.
Be sure that you mix up attacks and space. I tried this at the tourny, and when you're playing with others, it REALLY helps. I know that if you try mix ups and spacing and open short hops and such in a friendly, that it might not work well. But in a tourny scene, or a friendly at the tourny, these tactics that are stressed really do make a HUGE difference. You might not feel like it helps, but it definitely does give the opponent a harder time fighting you.

For example: As Marth, don't just stand around, or don't just continuously short hop fair to wait for them to come. Mix it up with jumping forward and DIing backwards, or dtilting, or walking forward then running back, do some random pivots. Anything to make it hard for them to predict you :).

Man I probably wrote too much XD

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
^^^^ Lulz. Sure but I don't think there is a way unless you want to quote me and edit the words and try to say the same but with less words.

But he asked a question, showing that he wants to know so he probably will at least skim it over :).

EDIT:

Ok I've found it. The back side of Marth's upsmash has slightly ( and I mean SLIGHTLY ) more range than the front side :).

Did someone say MARTH'S RANGE?

47 Fsmash
46 -
45 -
44 Dtilt/Ftilt
43. -
42 -
41 -
40. Fsmash Tip Over
39. Dsmash
38. Jab First
36. Jab Second
34. Bair
32. Fair
31. Dsmash Tip Over
31. Marth Nair Hit 2
29. Up Tilt
27. Nair First
25. Dair back
24. Fair Tip OVer
21. Up Smash (feet)/Uair Front
19. Dair Front
18. Uair Back
02. Up Smash Blade (back)
01. Up Smash Blade (front)
this is a list showing the range of marth's attacks. this list IS to scale, however , it doesn't mean that upsmash blade (back) has 2 range, and fsmash has like 100 times more range. pretend the scale continues to roughly -100.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
^^^^ Lulz. Sure but I don't think there is a way unless you want to quote me and edit the words and try to say the same but with less words.

But he asked a question, showing that he wants to know so he probably will at least skim it over :).
XD Nah, I read the full thing. And thanks for the info. ^_^ This will be my... second tourney. And I don't think I really used the last tourney effectively, nor did I actually prepare properly. The first tourney didn't really count much, but I did get to meet several people; No Marth players sadly. So I couldn't ask them on what to improve.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
XD Nah, I read the full thing. And thanks for the info. ^_^ This will be my... second tourney. And I don't think I really used the last tourney effectively, nor did I actually prepare properly. The first tourney didn't really count much, but I did get to meet several people; No Marth players sadly. So I couldn't ask them on what to improve.
Mmk that's nice to hear XD. Yeah np. I regret my first tourny, I was totally taken advantage over, and I was matched up against my friend for part of it, and I was too nice to argue it with the Toury Organizer... But I did meet some people, which was cool :D.

Tophes

Smash Cadet
I've seen non-Marth players in tournaments use the claw method when holding their controllers in certain situations (e.g. Dedede B-air WoP). Two questions:

1. How many Marth players do you know use this claw method?
2. Do you think that claw method might be helpful?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I know of no well known players using the claw method.

Don't get me wrong though. The claw method is also a ok way to play, you just have to make sure you don't drop your controller XD. You will have to get used to the claw method though, to build up your finger muscles so you can use it efficiently. I recommend the normal way, however, as that is probably the way you are already used to.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
How do Marth's keep rellentless tipped aerial assaults going? I have trouble with that. I'm too slow, and can't tip well. how do I practice my tipping and spiking?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
How do Marth's keep rellentless tipped aerial assaults going? I have trouble with that. I'm too slow, and can't tip well. how do I practice my tipping and spiking?
C-stick your aerials if you aren't already, it mostly comes from practice. Mix SHDFairs, SHFFFairs, standard fairs, dtilt, jab, and DB1 mixups.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I know of no well known players using the claw method.

Don't get me wrong though. The claw method is also a ok way to play, you just have to make sure you don't drop your controller XD. You will have to get used to the claw method though, to build up your finger muscles so you can use it efficiently. I recommend the normal way, however, as that is probably the way you are already used to.
I remember M2K uses the claw method. In Melee.

Who knows though. With Brawl being a less tech-heavy game, it may not make too much of a difference.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I remember M2K uses the claw method. In Melee.

Who knows though. With Brawl being a less tech-heavy game, it may not make too much of a difference.

Whoa really? Lol that's pretty sweet :D. May be it's one reason why he's a good player.

He still does in Brawl...? Wow that's pretty cool XD.

Btw Bengal, I use the C stick for aerials most of the time, but other people say that the A button is better because it's closer. What do you guys think about this? What do you use?

Sry can't think of anything right now Tophes. :/

Top Bottom