• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I can't! parents don't let me go to out of town events... i could only go to WHOBO because i convinced my parents it was that big of an event that i HAD to go... at least until my parents trust Ruddy's dad more with me, once that happens i can go to almost anything
I think Ruddy is going to it. Tell him you want to meet Ruddy there.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll see if I can go to FS. Btw, why are there 2 FS back to back o_O? Anyways, me going depends on other factors like taking courses during summer, job, preppin for the lawlz MCAT thing ma jigger test that ***** kids with it's 8 hour long test.

As far as this water discussion goes...I mean I make it a priority to just not fall on the left side of the water, period. At least if you fall on the right side, you have some versatility in your ability to recover and not make yourself seem so predictable.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I think Ruddy is going to it. Tell him you want to meet Ruddy there.
There from the same city you scrub...

I'll see if I can go to FS. Btw, why are there 2 FS back to back o_O? Anyways, me going depends on other factors like taking courses during summer, job, preppin for the lawlz MCAT thing ma jigger test that ***** kids with it's 8 hour long test.

As far as this water discussion goes...I mean I make it a priority to just not fall on the left side of the water, period. At least if you fall on the right side, you have some versatility in your ability to recover and not make yourself seem so predictable.
FS 6 is brawl and 7 is melee don't get confused.

I didn't understand anything you said from that point though...

FDM seemed interested in going to FS6 so I might go too if i have the money. Still a bit away so idk theres other tournaments first.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Well, nobody's been answering that question so far, so I'll be the first to say NO, I'm not going to APEX. Too far for me to be interested.

Completely unrelated to anything... but... I beat a legitimate Sonic player and a legitimate DK player last night in a 2v1 on Battlefield. The replay was too long to save, unfortunately, but I got a picture of the results screen on my phone. I spiked them each once while they were recovering and got two forward smashes as they mistakenly grabbed each other (one for a kill near the end).

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
dude in the past few days i got soooooooo many good clips for a combo video!/compilation! lmao a lot MKs and 0-deaths i feel like im a much better player now! =] lol

metroid1117

Smash Master
DSmash is generally regarded as one of Ike's worst moves. I suppose it's okay if you need a quick vertical kill or if you want to punish a roll, but it's knockback is not very good compared to Ike's other attacks (the 2nd hit is okay though).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ok, so is jab to d-smash guaranteed or what? I figure it can be good once in a while. Probably depends on the opponent's weight properties and DI.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
metroid, it's not even a good quick vertical kill. Utilt is stronger and faster. >_>

It's good for:

1) Jab-> Dsmash combo on the heavies. You'll probably be punished for it after during the second hit at low %s though. (jab -> utilt is better for this though. Or jab -> bair)

2) Mixing up the timing of your roll punishing. (turn around jab is better for this though)

3) Taunting the opponent by killing them with a worthless move. (QD is better for this though.)

It's only better then QD and Uthrow.

metroid1117

Smash Master
metroid, it's not even a good quick vertical kill. Utilt is stronger and faster. >_>
I never said it was good, just "okay." I personally think that getting off a sweetspotted DSmash (initial hitbox on the first hit) is easier than getting off a sweetspotted UTilt (even though it has more range, the sweetspot doesn't stay out for that long), but that's just me. I personally don't kill with one or the other (USmash for that), so I can't really say whether it's easier to kill with UTilt or DSmash. Utilt and DSmash are equally fast, by the way (both come out on frame 13), unless you're talking about wind-down lag.

I have mixed feelings for jab -> DSmash. I doubt that it's a true combo (but it's pretty consistent on the heavies nevertheless, much like jab -> grab), but even if it is it doesn't earn you much. The first hit of DSmash does 13% fresh, and the jab combo does a total of 16% (4% + 5% + 9%). Jab -> DSmash should, therefore, do 17% total, which is going to be less than jab -> jab combo even with move degeneration (assuming everything starts fresh).

tl;dr - Jab -> DSmash does less damage than jab -> jab combo.

metroid1117

Smash Master

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was JUST about to try this out and then I saw people post here in this topic. It says that Ike slides 1 body length.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I <3 being 18 and in college and having parents that recognize that those are both reasons that they can't limit my play time.
However, I can't test anything. Because I'm at home right now and (my) Wii is at college. Yes, (my) Wii. Because MY Wii is getting repaired. I've been holding on to someone else's for.. several months, roffle.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I was JUST about to try this out and then I saw people post here in this topic. It says that Ike slides 1 body length.
Hm.......I was hoping for more distance so it could be used as a queasy approach. Falco apparently goes 1/4 of FD. >_<

How could this be usable for Ike? The only thing I could think of off the bat would be if you hit with the back of your dash attack at low %s. They go flying behind you, maybe this could be usable then?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Candy beat Dojo a whole lot at Apex

Candy goes up to me and some other people saying I just beat dojo in a MM ( i think it was 2-0) anyone wanna MM. I lol'd at him.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ally just won APEX. 2-stocked M2K to win the set 3-1.

Cheers, I suppose, on the usurpation of M2K's throne. (REALLY wish Dojo could have been the one to do it, though.)
i don't think hes dethroned just yet the same thing happened with ken vs pc chris but he came back beat him in the next 2 mlg tournaments, Plus i suspect m2k sand bagged you should have seen him at whobo.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
People still use jabs a lot to rack up damage nowadays? I've been slowly using it less and less since people just get out so easily.. Just wondering what people usually do.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
M2K didn't sandbag. This is what Alex Strife posted on Smashboards in the Apex thread.
" I lost and I played my hardest...I got outplayed..."
M2K himself says privately to Alex Strife, the tournament host of Apex.
Mew2King wants to continue on and practice more.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I dunno, man, people keep saying every time even a stock is taken from him that he's sandbagging. And he seems to be getting sensitive to the crowds repeatedly cheering against him. His biorhythm, so to speak, was probably just off.

As for the "throne," I know he's still the king of Brawl. But someone else finally took the top spot at a major tourney. That's what I was referring to.

I do think, though, that after tonight, MK will not be banned.

As for jabs, San, if the opponent doesn't seem to be getting out of the jab, hell yes, use it for free damage. If they get out of it easily, just use the regular combo for a fast move and some damage. Don't just take it out of your gameplay because some people can get out of it. A lot of it is character-related and a lot of it has to do with the opponent, and if this opponent with this character can't get out, use that **** to your advantage. I use jabs as much as possible, and just finish the combo or go for a follow-up when it looks like they might get out of it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Maybe M2K lost so MK wouldn't have anymore talks of getting banned >_>...anyways, the people who placed...there was like...1 MK only and that was M2K. 2 Diddy's, a Snake, and 2 DDD's from what I remember placed.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Maybe M2K lost so MK wouldn't have anymore talks of getting banned >_>...anyways, the people who placed...there was like...1 MK only and that was M2K. 2 Diddy's, a Snake, and 2 DDD's from what I remember placed.
Heh, I thought of that same thing. Both him and Dojo.
Uh, one of those DDDs was also ICs. Which is what put M2K into losers, wasn't it?

By the way, screw finals week. I haven't done anything since my piano jury (which was Tuesday), since I got an A and felt like resting. And now finals are here and I can't continue the same level of lazy. I've already failed to study tonight. :ohwell:

•Col•

Smash Champion
I just got back from Apex.

Ally really dominated M2K in the Grand Finals. The first match was really close and SO awesome though. if you didn't see it, wait till they upload it to YouTube and watch it then.

Anyway, what I think happened: M2K got rattled. He lost to Lain(Ice Climbers) earlier in the tournament and got sent to the losers bracket. He was asking a bunch of people for advice, and playing against other Ice Climbers in between his tournament matches... He finally faced Lain again in the Loser's Finals, and did win... Then had to face Ally, and was still in a different mindset or w/e.

Still, after he lost, M2K told Ally that he wanted a rematch and that he'd beat him next time, smiling and laughing. It made me feel warm inside. :)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You know, it would be interesting to note if M2K was rattled to a certain degree. I mean he might be a great player and all, but if you get his number, you can definitely gain the advantage on him mentally. Now I know he's bounced back like he did against Lain, and NinjaLink after losing to him a while back, but if Ally streaks together a few more sets against him, we might have ourselves a new Smash King.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just so I can follow this conversation better, does sandbagging mean purposely underperforming to gain an advantage? Or just purposely doing bad for the heck of it? I know it's one of those two.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just so I can follow this conversation better, does sandbagging mean purposely underperforming to gain an advantage? Or just purposely doing bad for the heck of it? I know it's one of those two.
Yea, even I sandbag sometimes at weeklies when I know I can beat somebody. You won't play up to your full potential, and sometimes, you can't simply "flip the switch" when you need to. Happens a lot now a days in any sort of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom