• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So yeah... Been gone since the beginning of March... Got bored of playing against Computers in Brawl, so I stopped playing.... and so I stopped visiting Smashboards... <.< But now it is Summer Break, and I will be able to play with people again soon.

Anyway... I'm going to go to Apex next week, mostly just for fun, and I guess trying to get back into the swing of things..... Which means me frequenting Smashboards once again. (Also, unfortunately due to a change of plans, I WILL NOT be attending Genesis in July. D: )

So yeah... What I miss in the past couple months?

metroid1117

Smash Master
So yeah... Been gone since the beginning of March... Got bored of playing against Computers in Brawl, so I stopped playing.... and so I stopped visiting Smashboards... <.< But now it is Summer Break, and I will be able to play with people again soon.

Anyway... I'm going to go to Apex next week, mostly just for fun, and I guess trying to get back into the swing of things..... Which means me frequenting Smashboards once again. (Also, unfortunately due to a change of plans, I WILL NOT be attending Genesis in July. D: )

So yeah... What I miss in the past couple months?
Nothing much except the compilation video and Yagami's surprise absence.

@Kimchi: Oops, I mixed up Claymore with mortar. I guess it should work.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
what are these? I looked all over the forum but couldnt find them can someone pleas explain them?
lmao I have link to all the threads about these things in the 2nd post. You don't really have to search for things in the Ike boards just ask here then press ctrl+F on the first page to find w/e you want.

Whats this about Dthrow to Bair being a combo though? doesn't make sense....

Also it doesn't seem like I will be going to genesis either which is sad :( probably going to evo though which is the week after.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Dang, you travel a bunch, huh? I'm going to SWAT, and maybe, maybe the next Final Smash. After that, I don't know when the next out of city trip will be for me. No OOS any time soon for me, sadly.

(I think I may be the only Dallas Ike planning on going to SWAT. I doubt Slaps is going, and I'm not sure about Bored.)

NIDDO. You're in Texas. You need to meet us too. For serious.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
DACIT - Stands for dash-attack cancel item toss, performed by (while holding an item) running, C-sticking down to initiate the dash attack, then throwing the item (up, up+forward, or up+backward). If done correctly and depending on your character, you should receive a significant boost as displayed here.

Reverse Hyphen - A hyphen smash is when you run, then C-stick up to USmash out of a run (or just hit up+A with the controller quickly) to receive a slide while USmashing. Reverse Hyphen Smashing is essentially the same thing, except you turn and then USmash (most easily performed by hitting the control stick backward quickly pressing up+A).

Stun Jacket - See this thread for details. Basically, if you use Counter but miss the opponent with the actual counterattack, your next hit will have additional hitstun and delayed knockback.

Aether Dragging - See this video for details.

Aether boost snap? (what the hell do we call this if anyone knows what I'm talking about) - Apparently, if you hit an opponent when Ike is spinning in the air, his edge grab-box (the hitbox that determines where you can grab the edge) extends. Rykoshet made a picture of it somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

Grab releases - If you grab an opponent but do not throw them, then they'll break free of your grab. This, for some characters, allows you to attack them before they can move. The most grab-release-prone characters are Ness and Lucas (who can be grabbed again if they are grab-released on the ground) and Wario (who can be attacked when he is grab-released into the air).

Jab cancel variations - Jab canceling is jabbing once, then pressing down to crouch to cancel the jab combo; this means that the next time you press A, you won't perform the second hit of the jab combo. This allows you to jab -> grab, jab -> jab, or on certain occasions, jab -> BAir or jab -> UTilt.
thanks this helped alot

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What's wrong with us Canadians? Just because you're all envious of the fact that most of the world actually likes us unlike you Americans doesn't mean you have to take it out on us. XD

And I should hopefully be at Final Smash, seeing as its happening in my city. Unless they plan it for when I'm in Canada. >_>

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, take a look at this thread from the Lucario boards at AiB:

Nubsta5 said:
Well, I was playing around with jab canceling stuff with Lucario, and remembered that you can jab cancel by turning around. So I was playing around with this and up tilt to come across an amazingly hard-to-do, but useful thing with Lucario's jabs.

You can jab-jab-reverse'uptilt in (not exact on this) almost the same amount of time as it takes for Lucario to complete the jab combo. The turn around animation of the character cancels out the jab's move lag, similar to how pressing down does this as well (regular jab cancel).

The "How To": Jab twice (hold A works best for this, imo), then buffer a turn around by tapping left (when facing right) and then holding up during the buffering window (must quarter-circle this, or risk doing a reverse hyphen smash) and pressing A one more time. If done correctly and quickly enough, the up tilt should hit at extremely close to the same time as Lucario's simple "kick" would that completes the jab combo. This is much harder to do with one jab, and I believe it actually comes out rather slow with only one jab, but I'm not sure on this, as I was unable to do it consistently.

Playing around with buffering really lead to some cool discoveries (at least discoveries for me) of possible options OOJ (out of jab icon_razz).

Jab-jab-nair (feels like a true combo, but doubtful)
Jab-jab-dtilt (looks cool icon_razz)
Jab-jab-reverse hyphen smash (found this while inputting the double jab to up tilt combo incorrectly, lol, it looks freakin' sweet)

/shrug, who knows the possibilities for this. Obviously, your options are limited by which character you're playing, because some characters can just hold A and beat our jabs (a lot, actually), but it's nice to have.

I know it's not a combo, but jab-jab-reverse'uptilt-sh'FF'nair-uptilt-upair-DJ-forward air-neutral air was a cool-looking improvised "combo" I did icon_razz.

Have fun?

Also: Reverse Neutral Air as an approach option, GO!
Can this work with Ike as well? I can't test stuff right now, but it'd be nice if we could buffer an UTilt after the first or second hit of the jab combo. Buffering a grab might also be useful.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I tried for like 20 minutes with that metroid, and couldn't get any worthwhile results. Maybe I'm sucking with it? I don't know. Besides, I don't think Ike needs to jab cancel (press down) to use up tilt afterwards, anyways.

Unlike lucario, Ike probably doesn't have a part in the back that hits amazingly fast with uptilt..

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I know, but I was wondering if there was anything else that could've been done from it. Oh well.
You can do the obvious stuff really. Jab to turn around utilt, turnaround fair for a weak punishment to rolling, turnaround bair, turn around jab, etc. It's mostly just a way to punish crossups.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Is it just me, or are we posting less and less in here and making less real posts in general?

Then again, we are doing what we can in that match-up thread. I think I've just had enough of that "Why do you play with Ike" business. It's always got new posts by people with <10 posts and maybe that's just distracting me.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Or probably because some of the veterans disappeared, like Kirk and Yagami. Ussi has been gone for a while now, too, even though he doesn't main Ike anymore. In any case, Brett, you were talking about "flashiness" in another thread. I guess you could call these matches flashy. I don't normally try these moves out in my matches, but against Ninjalink, the guy's too much fun not to try stuff out.
Match 1
Match 2
Match 2

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wow, nice matches =) Comparing it to your past (offline) vids shows how much you've been getting better. I liked the 2nd and 3rd matches quite a bit. Too bad you're not playing wifi anymore, at least matchup-experience wise.

comboking

Smash Master
at around 2:40 in that 3rd video you could have killed him with QD (I do it all the time)

Nice matches anyway.

comboking

Smash Master
Well QD does not clash with Aether and since he over shot the ledge you could hit him.
QD kills don't have to be accidental

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well QD does not clash with Aether and since he over shot the ledge you could hit him.
QD kills don't have to be accidental
QD is one of Ike's weakest kill moves, easy to see coming, gives itself away with sound, lots of lag pre and post swinging the sword, it's a terrible move that should never be used for killing.

And nothing clashes with aether genius. -_- Ftilt, Fsmash, Usmash, Counter, Dtilt, Utilt, Eruption, Fair, Dair, Bair, Nair, Uair: they are all better choices then QD in that situation. Meaning QD beats:

Dsmash(barely), Jab, Grab.

When it comes to attacking aether in an Ike ditto.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, regarding that moment in the video, I'm sure Kimchi was trying to be "FlsSHy" so he got caught doing something he shouldn't have. Not sure if the collision with aether would have resulted in a "tie" or both parties getting hit. In any case, QD can be used to kill, but really, it only works at high damages, or if you connect while your opponent is coming close to the edge. It can be unexpected at times, but in reality, the move is rarely used to kill. Primarily only when for some odd reason, you rack up 200 damage, can't kill the guy with anything, and you end up doing it with QD.

As far as Niddo's reasoning goes, he is right CK. Learn to play more efficiently and you might win once in a while.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
The only times I've managed a kill with QD was when I was recovering with a fully charged one, and baited the enemy (on the opposite side of the stage, which is WHY I would ever start charging QD) to try and grab the ledge. And I let go before I was even with the ledge and before he got to grab the ledge.

And honestly.. I'm not even sure I should have tried that.

BTW I've started using tilt stick. We'll see how it works in tourney today.
Oh and I'm going to start to try using counter efficiently in my gameplay. Because I don't think it's a horrible move (if used well).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I like counter as well, more for the mindgames then the damage/knockback. If the opponent is getting predictable, I'll counter his next move or two so they realize what's happening. Which then throws them into a bit of a loop as it were.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Wow, nice matches =) Comparing it to your past (offline) vids shows how much you've been getting better. I liked the 2nd and 3rd matches quite a bit. Too bad you're not playing wifi anymore, at least matchup-experience wise.
Yeah, sorry. Honestly really got sick of Wi-Fi, playing people who I know I'm better than and still losing to them because of lag and whatnot. About QD, I usually only use it frequently to move around platform stages like Battlefield. I almost rarely, if not never, use it as a killing move. I use QD frequently in Ike dittos though where it serves as a good damage racker for the people who overestimate Fair's range and throw it out when they're in the air and not even close to me. I just charge and Boom, 10% damage racked up :o. As for Counter, you'll want to use Counter as a tool to punish something stupid that your opponent is doing, not as a tool to punish your opponent based on prediction. If your prediction turns out to be wrong, you'll get severely punished. So use it based on what your opponent does.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
By predictions I meant: "He's been using that move the last 5 times were are in this situation and his animation suggests he's about to do it again." I rarely whiff counter for a reason. >_>

Kimchi

Smash Ace
By predictions I meant: "He's been using that move the last 5 times were are in this situation and his animation suggests he's about to do it again." I rarely whiff counter for a reason. >_>
Oh, alright. That is a legitimate reason to use Counter for that type of situation, but then again, opponents do mix it up assuming that they're competent of course. By the way, I wrote a write-up of the Falcon matchup. Anything wrong with the write-up, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I fast fell into and countered GW's fully charged Usmash in tourney today. =]
Too bad I ****ed myself out of a stock by missing the launch on Halberd, else I would have won the set and probably gotten a place better than 13th. (Bored got 7th--- he knocked me out in an Ike ditto.)
(Bored- I'm glad I am finally at a level where I can give you a somewhat close match. I wish a couple of those had been saved.)

My career-long tourney winnings now add up to $3. Got a buck for 3rd place in teams with a DK. Too bad we choked and screwed ourselves out of 2nd place.

I think I have found a problem of mine. I tend to choke when it matters.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Went to Buffalo for a tourney today. A lot less people showed up than I thought (i looked at the thread and there were people all over saying they couldn't make it).

Got 3rd in singles (lost winners finals and losers finals), 1st in doubles (literally teamed up with some random dude XD)
To be honest.. I didn't make the wisest decisions in losers finals.. Oh well, I was mad tired today so i felt like experimenting more, didn't really care all too much tbqh. People from Rochester (which was only 3 people) dominated the tournament getting all the top placements. Now I know I need to learn the marth matchup better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom