• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Personally, I leave tap jump off so that I could move my shield up and help provide a stronger defense against shield-draining attacks such as MK's Tornado. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Tap jump on obviously helps in OOS attacks, and as Palpi pointed out, Aethering out of the water. Tap jump off doesn't necessarily limit OOS attacks and it does give you advantage of creating a stronger defense for yourself. It's up to you in the end though.
Finally, I'm going to my first offline tournament tomorrow and this time, it should be a definite. Wish me luck, guys. Only other Ike going is Red-X and possibly Sintros.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Personally, I leave tap jump off so that I could move my shield up and help provide a stronger defense against shield-draining attacks such as MK's Tornado. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Tap jump on obviously helps in OOS attacks, and as Palpi pointed out, Aethering out of the water. Tap jump off doesn't necessarily limit OOS attacks and it does give you advantage of creating a stronger defense for yourself. It's up to you in the end though.
Finally, I'm going to my first offline tournament tomorrow and this time, it should be a definite. Wish me luck, guys. Only other Ike going is Red-X and possibly Sintros.
Good luck, Kimchi! I hope you don't get robbed out of the opportunity like last time :(. Watch out for Red-X, I've heard some good things about him at AiB.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Good luck, Kimchi! I hope you don't get robbed out of the opportunity like last time :(. Watch out for Red-X, I've heard some good things about him at AiB.
Red-X should not be a problem...though I just realized I get confused between Sintros and San xD...San is the one I played...but iono who Sintros is.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Kimichi, on that youtube post. Every character can glide toss. Some just looks like it doesn't go anywhere.

edit; nvm both of his glide tosses suck, but he can do them.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I don't find Kirby as difficult as those others. Get around his bair and play smart. Falco is a ***** because his jab is faster than ours + lasers and running away. That makes for an annoying match. Dedede... can just do whatever he wants with that ****ed grab range.
You know who else is tough for me? Sheik. And Lucario, but I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable around him.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have never played a good sheik with Ike before. I am MM'ing kadaj's bowser and I might do his sheik.

I probably won't MM my MK vs his marth cause I played Neo online and that didn't go over well.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Who's a better secondary for Ike: Toon Link or Marth? One character can't do it all so I figured I need to learn someone else.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Marth is a better character so I would say marth. I second marth along with Ike, and it isn't that difficult to learn, but you just need to know all of his follow ups from throws and have very good spacing.

Honestly most of marths good match ups are bad for Ike...

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am attempting to learning top / high tier characters atm for counter picks if I ever decide to stop playing metaknight.
(or if he gets banned)
Atm I am working on Falco, Snake, Olimar and trying to get my Marth better.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Who's a better secondary for Ike: Toon Link or Marth? One character can't do it all so I figured I need to learn someone else.
LOL, those are the exact same two characters I'm just starting to pick up to try and use as secondaries. (I am also a one-trick horse and am trying to break that, though my main will always be Ike.)

I don't know. Marth has a higher tier placement and whatnot, but Toon Link is ridiculously fun to play. I'm not even that good with him yet. He's just super fun, and I really want to get better with him because of it. (Watch Santi's combo vidos. They will make you want to play that character.)

Kimchi

Smash Ace
I noticed a lot of Ike players like to try to develop Snake as a secondary. Reason why is because he's also a strong character and his aerials are decent. He also has his projectiles as well as a decent recovery. I'm trying to develop Snake and Lucario as my secondaries.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Snake's only good aerial is nair, his bair and uair are decent at the very best. He just allows for much more variety on ground game and most ikes develop a strong jab game so mixing it up isnt that hard.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yes. With snake if you think you could hit him with a bair. You are better off grenade camping for more damage until you utilt or ftilt for the kill.

Playing characters with jab -> grab or other moves is really easy once learning Ike. Lucario does jab to forward B, falco, falcon. It is a good skill to learn.

I see a lot of snakes jab,ftilt. Does that legit work?

metroid1117

Smash Master
You are better off grenade camping for more damage until you utilt or ftilt for the kill.
I was under the impression that FTilt be used along with grenades to build up damage (20+% for two hits when fresh??), but I don't play Snake, so I might be wrong.

Silven mentioned this ages ago (like when Brawl was first released), but I haven't seen anyone expounding on this yet... We already know that reverse NAir -> BAir is a nice combo and that it's possible to buffer a turn from jab -> BAir, so how practical is NAir -> (buffer turn ->) BAir?

Palpi

Smash Hero
I don't either. I just think ftilt is easier to hit with :).

I actually RAR Nair all of the time. I string a rar nair to bair probably more than I do nair to bair normally.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Recently I’ve had this thought that reverse Fair might be a good option for gimping vertical recoveries like Mario’s or Dolphin Slash. Depending on the timing the opponent will be thrown against the ledge or backwards. I still have to test it though…

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Bored has actually done a reverse Fair on me during our dittos. It didn't really work towards his favor at times. Once, it saved me when I was about miss the ledge by hitting me back towards the stage. Sometimes, it could serve as a stage spike. Like you said though, it depends on the timing of your opponent's recovery. I'll try it out, too.

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah my friend was talking nonstop about this reverse fair to spike people. I didn't believe him, but dang, he came over for some friendlies and wrecked me.

Kaito0921

Smash Rookie
I have 2 questions:
1. whats the perfect controler settings for ike? ive got 2 tags.
with one is the c-stick on attack and tap-jump off.
with the other one is all standard but the tap-jump is off.
should i change this settings?

2. y does everybody says Ike is a nubcharacter?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
1.controller preference is entirely up to you kaito. Most people seem to prefer attack stick but I have mine set to smashes, the only thing I actually changed was R to jump so I can double stick SDI and jump ASAP when I'm being juggled.

2. either because they suck or because Ike sucks.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You're pressing your C stick at times the game doesnt register an ability to input an attack. If you just use it for up tilt, up air, and down air itll never happen. Bair is better buffering with jump and A anyway.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
So are most other uses of C stick (while on attack) impractical for that reason?
Rather, is it just a better idea to use A for everything else instead? (Other than retreating fairs and the like, which kind of needs the stick..)

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Just to answer the question the few things that could be considered At's or at least advanced things the better Ikes do would be:

DACIT
Reverse Hyphen
Stun Jacket
Aether Dragging
Aether boost snap? (what the hell do we call this if anyone knows what I'm talking about)
Grab releases
Jab cancel variations
what are these? I looked all over the forum but couldnt find them can someone pleas explain them?

metroid1117

Smash Master
what are these? I looked all over the forum but couldnt find them can someone pleas explain them?
DACIT - Stands for dash-attack cancel item toss, performed by (while holding an item) running, C-sticking down to initiate the dash attack, then throwing the item (up, up+forward, or up+backward). If done correctly and depending on your character, you should receive a significant boost as displayed here.

Reverse Hyphen - A hyphen smash is when you run, then C-stick up to USmash out of a run (or just hit up+A with the controller quickly) to receive a slide while USmashing. Reverse Hyphen Smashing is essentially the same thing, except you turn and then USmash (most easily performed by hitting the control stick backward quickly pressing up+A).

Stun Jacket - See this thread for details. Basically, if you use Counter but miss the opponent with the actual counterattack, your next hit will have additional hitstun and delayed knockback.

Aether Dragging - See this video for details.

Aether boost snap? (what the hell do we call this if anyone knows what I'm talking about) - Apparently, if you hit an opponent when Ike is spinning in the air, his edge grab-box (the hitbox that determines where you can grab the edge) extends. Rykoshet made a picture of it somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

Grab releases - If you grab an opponent but do not throw them, then they'll break free of your grab. This, for some characters, allows you to attack them before they can move. The most grab-release-prone characters are Ness and Lucas (who can be grabbed again if they are grab-released on the ground) and Wario (who can be attacked when he is grab-released into the air).

Jab cancel variations - Jab canceling is jabbing once, then pressing down to crouch to cancel the jab combo; this means that the next time you press A, you won't perform the second hit of the jab combo. This allows you to jab -> grab, jab -> jab, or on certain occasions, jab -> BAir or jab -> UTilt.

Rohan

Smash Apprentice
guys i dont know if u now but dwn throw bair is a combo at zero on some chars i try diff ones but its one on pikachu at least

metroid1117

Smash Master
I actually do have a question about the Stun Jacket AT. Does it work with Snake's Claymore? Technically, it's not a projectile and it does "miss" Snake so wouldn't it be viable to activate the Stun Jacket?
Hmm... I guess it would work, since you're not hitting a hurtbox. You are talking about the explosive that Snake's USmash launches, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom