• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpi

Smash Hero
It is all who you face. Someone could be really good in his tournaments in the middle of no where but if you came to north east maybe it would be different.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, we should have a "strength of tourny" formula made. If you end up in a tourny with a bunch of nubs and scrubs (though it would require honest opinion from the Ike player or other players), then you will get less points.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Or we could not do a power rankings list and respect those who we know are good and not discourage those of less skill and/or tourney placements by having them low on the list/not on the list at all......

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
It is all who you face. Someone could be really good in his tournaments in the middle of no where but if you came to north east maybe it would be different.
No EC johns until you come over here and own us all too. The EC has a huge amount of top level players not a huge amount of mid level players that would be pros in other regions.

Just because you are from the EC doesn't mean your going to go beat anther because of him being midwest.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I was just using it as an example and I never even implied anything that I was better than anyone.

And how does the east coast not have a huge amount of mid level players? Is there like a player tier list by region?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Playing against habitual rollers is FUN.
SO MANY :rotfl:FORWARD SMASHES:rotfl:!
:joyful:
:smash:ing rollers = :colorful:

So very sorry. I am not on crack. I just played games against people who liked to roll today and I'd say around 80% of my kills were lolfsmashes.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I was just using it as an example and I never even implied anything that I was better than anyone.

And how does the east coast not have a huge amount of mid level players? Is there like a player tier list by region?
Every region has a huge amount of mid level players, a lot of mid level EC players just think they could go to any other region and own everyone.

thats what I meant.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You took it to a different extent than he did. He never made any claim of an EC player going elsewhere and dominating but rather a "strong" player from a weaker region going elsewhere and not doing much with it.

metroid1117

Smash Master
NAir cannot auto-cancel; it just has a relatively short landing lag time (18 frames, IASA 13) compared to the rest of his aerials. I don't know why everyone said it did, I was thoroughly confused about it until Kirk said himself that it didn't auto-cancel.

To answer your question however, there are certain frames in an attack (before it ends) in which you don't suffer any landing lag if you land during those frames. BAir, for example, can be auto-canceled from a short-hop; however, you cannot grab the edge if you short-hop BAir and go off the stage.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Oh wow, N-air doesn't auto-cancel... So it was just an illusion that made it seem N-air had less lag when fast falled but it was simply because Ike is in the air longer.

I see... but I find it weird that the developers would do that. I don't recall any aerials that are fast mid-air with a lot of landing lag.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I don't think double hop FF F-air cancels. Auto-canceling F-air is just... weird. Also, I thought that D-air doesn't have any lag after you land was because the mid-air lag for D-air ends before you reach the ground.

I've been playing with N-air a bit and it still seems to me that N-air FF auto cancels, or at least reduces the landing lag significantly...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Regarding auto-cancel, does Fox's D-air auto-cancel? It always seems like when a Fox approaches me with D-air, he grabs me right out of it before I can grab him. Or he is able to perform d-smash right after his D-air. Maybe I am just mistiming or is there a certain timing to Fox's D-air as well?

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Hmmm, I don't think double hop FF F-air cancels. Auto-canceling F-air is just... weird. Also, I thought that D-air doesn't have any lag after you land was because the mid-air lag for D-air ends before you reach the ground.

I've been playing with N-air a bit and it still seems to me that N-air FF auto cancels, or at least reduces the landing lag significantly...
Double hop FF F-air auto cancels. You just gotta fast fall after you use your second jump + Fair. And you're probably talking about Brawl + Ike. D-air has considerable lag when you land on the ground. Anyway, I'm going to my first offline tournament tomorrow and I'll probably go all Ike. I'm bringing a setup there so I'll upload some videos hopefully on Sunday. I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow :O.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Double hop FF F-air auto cancels. You just gotta fast fall after you use your second jump + Fair. And you're probably talking about Brawl + Ike. D-air has considerable lag when you land on the ground. Anyway, I'm going to my first offline tournament tomorrow and I'll probably go all Ike. I'm bringing a setup there so I'll upload some videos hopefully on Sunday. I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow :O.
Hmmm, still can't get it to auto-cancel. Ok, D-air auto cancels. Good luck on the tournament.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Good luck Kimchi! I hope you enjoy yourself and learn some new tricks.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Just go running a lot to make your cold go away. It gets rid of your congestion because of the physical activites and helps the go away faster. (Thank you random website) :)

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Public Venue. I was right in front of the actual venue, before my dad got suspicious and I had to leave with him. I told him I was going to the place for an educational thing, but the "academy" next to the venue was closed and my dad was like, ok, are you sure you're at the right place? I was just like, "I'm screwed" and I just told him to drive me back home. Wasn't worth trying to convince him that I was in a tourney.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wow...that is really gay Kimchi. -_-...I remember when my parents kept dragging me places and wouldn't let me go anywhere or give me a lame curfew. I kept sayin no and kept rebelling, and 2 years later...I can do whatever I want xD.

Anyways, I got 3rd at the weekly, 2nd in Doubles. Brett, you owe me a dollar.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah... My parents wouldn't let me go to Apex, which kinda sucks. I do have some important stuff during those weeks, though.

Had a tourney today. Not too many people showed up, but lots of the regular/good players did, except JesiahTEG(seems like he quite brawl?). Had to beat a couple MKs with Ike. I think there might have only been like 12-14 people signed up for singles. At least it was a good $72 I guess.

metroid1117

Smash Master
$72 for a little fun. Sounds like a good price. Still high though but Eh
I think he was referring to the prize money he won (did you win, San? If so, very nice job), assuming that from the 12-14 people the entry fee was $10.

San, you said you had to fight a couple of MKs; what strategies do you use to fight him? My basic strategy is to just try and out-range him with FAirs, but then they start rushing in with dash attacks and spot-dodges.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Well, looks like M2K showed up at the tourney that I was ABOUT to go to. Seems like the guy I played Wi-Fi friendlies with, Jbandrew, who was going to go to the tourney, got 3rd. All in all, I really think I could have made top 10 at least. Still rather disappointed. San, nice job. $72 is a nice prize lol. Did you win first?
EDIT: There's a doubles ladder on AiB now. Lol, fun.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think he was referring to the prize money he won (did you win, San? If so, very nice job), assuming that from the 12-14 people the entry fee was $10.

San, you said you had to fight a couple of MKs; what strategies do you use to fight him? My basic strategy is to just try and out-range him with FAirs, but then they start rushing in with dash attacks and spot-dodges.
Yeah, I won first(woo), but with less people are showing up than before, it makes it hard for the host to even host the tournament. Battle for Western NY only like 32 people entered. Thanks for the support kimchi+everyone. Just wish I had more of a chance to go to bigger tourneys like A_B

*how to make this NOT a wall of useless text* :( can't
I could try to help, even though I think I'm just spouting out common knowledge. I think fair is a bit of a risky move, so I switch up between fair and nair(attack stick ftw) depending on how close I am to the mk. I attacked in the air a lot less than I usually do, and instead played half aerial half ground and quick OoS attacks. It was basically a range/speed game and how quick you react. When knocked in the air, since I have attack c-stick, I whipped out a non-fastfall dair to get in the way of some of MK's attacks(AKA SHUTTLE LOOP) so i can get back to the ground.

The hardest part was trying to recover since MK has so many options to gimp you. if you DId ok, you should be pretty high up to recover. Knowing the range of shuttle loop is really important. A metaknight killed me once when I think I got passed him with a reverse shuttle loop and another spiked me from midstage in friendlies when I SDId down the moment I was hit. If the MK is trying to read you and follow you offstage, read the MK's positioning and then attempt to either straight out hit him with an aerial that might or might not work because it's so slow, fast fall+air dodge + reverse aether from underneath the stage, or fast fall+aerial(I like dair/fair) then reverse aether from underneath the stage. It is a lot easier to hit someone out of air dodge especially since they've been having a lot of experience doing that against many other players. Ike's big hitboxes and longlasting dair is something a little different.

Making them less confident in using B attacks is important. If you have the time to see it coming, it's pretty easy to hit the tornado with fair or even nair if it's really close or underneath you. I tried not to use my double jump and always be ready to DI up for a surprise shuttle loop (the player that was using MK liked to use shuttle loop more than others). Challenging MK's shuttle loop with bair/aerial or even dash-shield to jab (if you see the MK hit you too early) or even angled up ftilt if you think the MK will try to challenge it has more risk than reward in my opinion. Jab cancelling too much=shuttle loop to the face, so I'd just be prepared to DI up at all times.

Not sure how much is useful, because I really don't have a defined strategy and just try to use what I know/learned from fighting MK and general experience on the spot. I only played against MK in 5 tourney matches that day. One was against an MK main in loser's semis on smashville that switched to ZSS after I won. The other was a pikachu main/ MK secondary in the grand finals that switched to MK after I somehow beat his pikachu the 2nd match at jungle japes (I banned norfair) and I think 2stocked me, then I CP brinstar and win the set 3-1. Second set He cp'd FD twice with MK and after I won those, went back to pikachu (and FD again).

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
San, do you have any videos of the tourney? I'd like to see your playstyle. Especially against Pikachu...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
@ theeboredone and San: make sure you guys get your tournaments posted in the character rankings topic. I'd at least like us to get back to having more points then Ganondorf. >_>

And good stuff beating MKs.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Still a bit disappointed. I really wish I could have gone to the tournament. This was my only chance to go to one. I wanted to see what I can do with Ike and now I'm still stuck with Wi-Fi. @San, great advice honestly. I only wish the same advice could be applied to M2K.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
San, do you have any videos of the tourney? I'd like to see your playstyle. Especially against Pikachu...
Sorry, no =( Didn't record many matches that day. IIRC the matches were pretty fun, though. His pikachu used to 2stock me until recently. http://allisbrawl.com/profile/pikapika!.ai is him

Surprisingly, it took a lot of playing many good MKs on wifi to get familiar with the matchup to do better. Except Renegade's MK. Destroyed me tbqh =/
EDIT: 2stocked ren's MK today! =)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Anyways, I got 3rd at the weekly, 2nd in Doubles. Brett, you owe me a dollar.
I got 7th at the same tourney. (Should have been 5th, but I paid for a few dumb decisions in the second 2 matches against a friend of mine who plays Lucario.)

IKE CLIMBERS FTW. Sorry I sucked against Ruddy and Forsaken. If I wasn't being such a stupid *** in those matches, we may have been able to take first.

And yes, I do owe you a dollar. We should have remembered that when we got paid for 2nd place.

EDIT: Didn't you love how each time KirbyKid got a kill after being RAAAAAPED in match 1, we "got owned"? (I think the only person he owned was himself by banning FD for match 3 (which still gives me lolz) instead of Pirate Ship.)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Does Ike have a longer sword than Marth or are his arms just longer? Or both?
Ike's sword is longer, and the way he uses his arms I guess, but Marth's swings come out faster.

San, were you the guy I played on wifi a looong time ago? I don't even remember anymore lol.

EDIT: Nintendo, where is the character ranking topic?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It's there... But the forum default only shows threads with posts in the last month. Sadly enough, there have not been any posts in the tourney results/character ranking topic in the last month. You'll have to go to the bottom of the page and change the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom