• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No, even if you have the best possible connection with wifi, there is button lag, and it's enough to mess things up. It WILL screw up your reaction time. I can testify to that. The people I played at Final Smash V could tell I used wifi too much. Know why? My reaction time, and I have no visible lag.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I've tried it with someone with blue connection and failed. Is there a link to the guide of this? Buffering time, immune characters, and percentages would help.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
No, even if you have the best possible connection with wifi, there is button lag, and it's enough to mess things up. It WILL screw up your reaction time. I can testify to that. The people I played at Final Smash V could tell I used wifi too much. Know why? My reaction time, and I have no visible lag.
we're both making good points based on experienced
but i disagree with a lot of people that say that wifi practice will not help you in
rl tournies,i think it does to some extent

anyway that's my IMO
kishin try to stickies on this section

Kishin

Smash Ace
If you mean try reading the stickies I've done that. It's not in Kirk's guide and it's not in this topics index. Fairly new combo I presume so it's expected.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
It isn't always a guaranteed 14% from dash attack however. Dash attack only works through a certain range of %. I would imagine that on at least lighter characters that there would be times QD would hit while dash attack wouldn't get there in time due to the distance while still being under 100%......or I'm dreaming again.

And I don't mind that you found this first: I'm just glad I thought of something that makes sense without someone else talking about it first. ^_^
Dash Attack pretty much works starting from 20-25 up until 105% on most characters. Before that you should be going for easy low percent combos and after 105% you should be killing, so instead of Bthrowing just Dthrow and Up Air, Up Tilt or Up Smash them.

Wi-fi.

Theres ya problem. Like, almost nothing works on wifi. >_> Particularly if you have a bad connection.
If your connections are good you should be able to manage some stuff but honestly don't take WiFi lag losses too seriously. The way I see it: If I lost due to lag, shrug it off. If I lost due to being outplayed, I take that to heart and think about how I could fix it for next time.

If you mean try reading the stickies I've done that. It's not in Kirk's guide and it's not in this topics index. Fairly new combo I presume so it's expected.
General guide:

Bowser and Ganon: Works for 0%.
Every other heavy: 15% or so.
Everyone else: 25% or so.

Olimar, Game and Watch, Ness, Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Kirby appear to be immune to it. There may be more but that's all I tested.

metroid1117

Smash Master
BThrow -> dash attack is not new; I've been doing this since July, and while I don't recall seeing it performed in any early Brawl video (March - June 08), it's been mentioned before in RoK's guide (which came out in the summer).

How are you doing it? The easiest way by far is to do the dash attack with the C-stick; just hit forward and C-stick down as soon as possible. The downside is that you might do a DSmash or DTilt if you screw up, but your opponent shouldn't be able to have an easy time punishing you if that happens.

we're both making good points based on experienced
but i disagree with a lot of people that say that wifi practice will not help you in
rl tournies,i think it does to some extent

anyway that's my IMO
kishin try to stickies on this section
In my opinion, Wi-fi is good at helping you play smarter and get used to different playstyles. (Heck, I got 3rd in my first Brawl tourney and I had very little prior experience playing offline... but then again there weren't a lot of good players there.) However, you should only play it if that's your only way to find an opponent, since button lag plays an undeniable role in the outcome of a match and severely limits your options in some cases (dealing with Sonic's speed, powershielding Falco's lasers, trying to time BAirs so that they hit right before you land, etc.).

Kishin

Smash Ace
Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Just one last question...(for now)
I've seen somewhere that Ike has a true combo with either up-tilt or down-tilt (I don't remember). Is this true for either case? If so percentages and characters that it works on? I just thought it might help me with +1 mix-up I could use.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I've seen somewhere that Ike has a true combo with either up-tilt or down-tilt (I don't remember). Is this true for either case? If so percentages and characters that it works on? I just thought it might help me with +1 mix-up I could use.
Err... utilt/dtilt from what...? o_O A nair? A jab cancel?

What is OoS?
Lol.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Err... utilt/dtilt from what...? o_O A nair? A jab cancel?

Lol.

He could possibly mean that Utilt and Dtilt combo into things. Up Tilt is pretty unlikely but I'll see if I can find something with the Dtilt.

Also comboking:

Are you serious? The term "OoS" is only mentioned like...every day.

It means "Out of Shield".

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Olimar, Game and Watch, Ness, Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Kirby appear to be immune to it. There may be more but that's all I tested.
gah! you suck last week you said it worked on olimar, I've been getting my *** handed to me because of it. Yagami if your going to test for combos you should check for things on the spacies and shiek since they might fall to fast to actually be able to jump out of a few things.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
gah! you suck last week you said it worked on olimar, I've been getting my *** handed to me because of it. Yagami if your going to test for combos you should check for things on the spacies and shiek since they might fall to fast to actually be able to jump out of a few things.
Er, I said he COULD jump out of it a week ago, sorry. (Proof: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6704645&postcount=1840)

And yeah, if I think of any combo(s) Fox and Bowser are the first guys I try them on.

comboking

Smash Master
He could possibly mean that Utilt and Dtilt combo into things. Up Tilt is pretty unlikely but I'll see if I can find something with the Dtilt.

Also comboking:

Are you serious? The term "OoS" is only mentioned like...every day.

It means "Out of Shield".
sorry brain fart

metroid1117

Smash Master
You might be thinking of jab -> UTilt; I doubt it's a true combo, and it works depending on your opponent's DI (if they DI the jab up then you should go for the UTilt... unless they're expecting it). It can land you some kills at high % if they're expecing you to perform the full jab combo, so even though it's not a true combo, that doesn't mean it's not useful.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Er, I said he COULD jump out of it a week ago, sorry. (Proof: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6704645&postcount=1840)

And yeah, if I think of any combo(s) Fox and Bowser are the first guys I try them on.
guess I miss read then, well I'll stop doing that then and chase him with an aerial.

alukard that is a very old video we need to see something new because your starting to sound like CK "I'm good guys trust me!" except you are and I just want to see more videos.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
This is a little off topic but I can't help it... I need help QDing back on stage from the edge! I suck at it almost every time I try I just regrab the edge like nothing happened... I'm so used to Fairing back onto stage which i find fairly simple and somehow still find QDing onto the stage difficult...please give me some tips, i'm pathetic but still... I don't have my wii because I'm grounded so no one can help me on wi-fi at the moment but at least give me some kind of tip for it...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Still dun understand why people are having trouble with the ledgehopped QD.... o-o

Anyway, you're probably trying to do it with the same timing you do the fair. Don't. D:

Push away to let go of the edge, jump so then you're moving slightly up and AWAY from the ledge, then Quickdraw to the stage.

.....Not really much more advice I can give you. ;-;

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This is a little off topic but I can't help it... I need help QDing back on stage from the edge! I suck at it almost every time I try I just regrab the edge like nothing happened... I'm so used to Fairing back onto stage which i find fairly simple and somehow still find QDing onto the stage difficult...please give me some tips, i'm pathetic but still... I don't have my wii because I'm grounded so no one can help me on wi-fi at the moment but at least give me some kind of tip for it...
Honestly, just do it really fast. Takes rhythm and timing. I believe you don't release it right away, but after half a second so you get your full jump in.

Alukard

Smash Hero
<3 ace =]

nah but i really love playing ike ... we need to figure sumthing out to beat these gay high tiers lol

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Well, I've just tested Bthrow to QD, and it seems like it's much better to use this at higher percentages. At lower percentages, you'll just end up hitting them and leaving yourself vulnerable. What's the use of this? If you want to rack up more damage or use this as a mindgame. I personally use this to follow up QD with jabs. You could follow up with a pivot grab if you want to mindgame them even more :o. I'm going to test this on different characters at different percentages later.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Still dun understand why people are having trouble with the ledgehopped QD.... o-o

Anyway, you're probably trying to do it with the same timing you do the fair. Don't. D:

Push away to let go of the edge, jump so then you're moving slightly up and AWAY from the ledge, then Quickdraw to the stage.

.....Not really much more advice I can give you. ;-;
Honestly, just do it really fast. Takes rhythm and timing. I believe you don't release it right away, but after half a second so you get your full jump in.
K thx... I guess I'm just used to pressing down to release the edge =\ I'll work on it some today at the tourney.. So Thank you for the help =]

•Col•

Smash Champion
K thx... I guess I'm just used to pressing down to release the edge =\ I'll work on it some today at the tourney.. So Thank you for the help =]
OH. There's your problem.

If you push down to let go of the edge, you'll fast fall and you won't be able to do it. <_<

So yeah... Push away from the stage to let go of the edge...

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
OH. There's your problem.

If you push down to let go of the edge, you'll fast fall and you won't be able to do it. <_<

So yeah... Push away from the stage to let go of the edge...
Not always true. I can do both ways perfectly fine. The only difference between the two is that by tapping away from the stage is easier where as you can cover more ground with a vertical ledgehopped QD. IMO I say learn how to use both, and use them according to what the situation may call for it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dang it, Ike dropped in the Winter 2008/2009 results. Stupid Ness somehow got above him.

PT I can understand, what with Reflex picking him up and all, it was bound to happen for a while, but Ness? The EB with a basically stand-still metagame?

*sigh*

We need to abuse grab-releases more.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Dang it, Ike dropped in the Winter 2008/2009 results. Stupid Ness somehow got above him.

PT I can understand, what with Reflex picking him up and all, it was bound to happen for a while, but Ness? The EB with a basically stand-still metagame?
I'll somewhat fix that. Just wait for it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
My question is why do we care about some character placing?? It's NOT gonna affect our gameplay or who we use not one bit. Instead we should care about doing better ourselves. So what if Ike is a terrible character.. We still are using him

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It bugs the heck out of me when an EB boy is doing better. No flipping clue why, it just does. >_>

However, my point about the grab-releases still kinda stands. Maybe I haven't seen the right videos, but the only grab-releases I've seen since we found them was one walk-off fair on squirtle.

metroid1117

Smash Master
It bugs the heck out of me when an EB boy is doing better. No flipping clue why, it just does. >_>

However, my point about the grab-releases still kinda stands. Maybe I haven't seen the right videos, but the only grab-releases I've seen since we found them was one walk-off fair on squirtle.
Don't forget Ike's "chaingrab" on Wario.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
honestly Ike's infinite(not chain grab) on wario doesn't seem that good, it is basically a hard form of DDDs that deals less damage. I pulled off 5 today for a total of 13 damage. Thats a pummel and an uptilt... its only really good at really high percents like 120+ because then I got 2 in a row and got him to 150% and then just uptilted for the kill.

How ever with all the other grab releases Ike has on him it just seems like a waste to do this because if you miss he isn't put into a bad position unlike with the other moves. Bair sends him off stage and Utilt puts him above Ike and wario doesn't have much to cover him self from underneath him.

metroid1117

Smash Master
honestly Ike's infinite(not chain grab) on wario doesn't seem that good, it is basically a hard form of DDDs that deals less damage. I pulled off 5 today for a total of 13 damage. Thats a pummel and an uptilt... its only really good at really high percents like 120+ because then I got 2 in a row and got him to 150% and then just uptilted for the kill.

How ever with all the other grab releases Ike has on him it just seems like a waste to do this because if you miss he isn't put into a bad position unlike with the other moves. Bair sends him off stage and Utilt puts him above Ike and wario doesn't have much to cover him self from underneath him.
I should've clarified; it's definitely not too good, but Nidtendofreak was saying how the only new grab release we found was on Squirtle. I was just providing another thing that was found, regardless of how useful it was.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You can still press down, and then press jump right after and do QD. But you should let the full jump effect come in, because if you don't, you'll QD back to hanging on the stage.

You can also QD onto the stage by pressing the direction of where you're hanging (Say you are hanging on the left side, then press left) and jump, and QD. This one to me is a bit more obvious cause you have more distance to cover.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I should've clarified; it's definitely not too good, but Nidtendofreak was saying how the only new grab release we found was on Squirtle. I was just providing another thing that was found, regardless of how useful it was.
No, I said it was the only one I've seen used. >_>

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
So like, Yagami and I did awesome in that OTL wifi tourney xD.
YagamiLight-5th
Aurorazoni-4th
:x we both lost to the same person for our last match, but out of 128 people thats pretty dang good.
<.< well then again it's wifi. So most of you probably wont care.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Wow. lol. Who beat you both?
A Pikachu by the name of ESAM. Really nice player. I had the unfortunate accident of suiciding 3 times on my own CP. Either I'm really tired or I should just never play Green Greens ever again.

I got sent to loser's finals by this amazing Olimar. Like..."beats Anther" and "Wins gigantic Gamebattles ladder" Olimar. Goes by the name of dabuz. I said screw it and went all Ike against. I believe I got one stocked in both battles which, considering that's it's a great player using one of Ike's most hated, is pretty good.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea we both lost to ESAM. This really nice Pikachu.
And Yagami did a whole lot better than I did against him. That much I can bet

:x and to get into the losers bracket I lost to a fox. A6M. xD really close, both were 100%+ and he got a upsmash on me.
Lol that fox match reminds me of my tourny yesterday. Lost in the same exact way, third match, winner's bracket. I beat him back in the loser's bracket though. I placed 4th, cause I lost to a gay DDD x_x

A Pikachu by the name of ESAM. Really nice player. I had the unfortunate accident of suiciding 3 times on my own CP. Either I'm really tired or I should just never play Green Greens ever again.

I got sent to loser's finals by this amazing Olimar. Like..."beats Anther" and "Wins gigantic Gamebattles ladder" Olimar. Goes by the name of dabuz. I said screw it and went all Ike against. I believe I got one stocked in both battles which, considering that's it's a great player using one of Ike's most hated, is pretty good.
Dabuz is a beast. I've played him (Wifi), and he will wreck you. Plus the Oli - Ike match up is really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom