• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I would love to go to No Koast but the distance between Cali and Kansas is

[_____________________________] this much!

And the amount of time/spare change I have is

[___] this much, haha. But I don't know, I'll see what I can do.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
thnxx for the quick response !

yea ill keep practicing that matchup
and also (i dont if u guys answered this too, sorry if u did ><)
how can u walk off dair without fast falling ?
i always seem to fastfall and die TT

and i guess my friend was wrong bout
the ike community here :D

im definately gonna come here for my question
Set your c-stick (if you have a gcn controller) to attack. I personally don't use that, myself, for I usually buffer a jump whenever I hit that c-stick. I believe someone else has a better method, though.

School talk :/
I'm a mathematics major with an emphasis in computer science. You bet those math classes are difficult. (yeah, I'm that brief)

Palpi

Smash Hero
You can switch your C-stick from Smash attack to Attacks (Tilts) or do a slow dash. (Slower than a dash, but the fastest you can run without dashing, and get off the edge of the stage) You won't auto fast-fall.

Kirk can explain how to do it with smash-stick better than I can.

Kirk

Smash Champion
It's basically just running, and tilting the control stick diagonally downward. This way, when you drop off the ledge and press C-stick down, the game detects you are already holding downward on the control stick and you won't fast fall when you Dair.

And hurray for NO KOAST peoples. Looking forward to meeting some new faces. :D

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
School talk :/
I'm a mathematics major with an emphasis in computer science. You bet those math classes are difficult. (yeah, I'm that brief)
lol I'm actually planning to do the reverse of that. Programming is fun. Math, however is BS. I haven't seen numbers in years...

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Kirk, I was looking forward to meeting you at NK1, but you had to bail out on Kansas. :p

Edit: Marauder, you're just not looking at the right place, my friend.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
lol I'm actually planning to do the reverse of that. Programming is fun. Math, however is BS. I haven't seen numbers in years...
I see way more numbers in CS than math, lol.

W00t Electrical&Computer Engineering/Computer Science

On-topic: For some reason, training mode for 10 minutes before matches helps A LOT. Anyone else feel the same? I think castle siege is the best place for training mode. The first part is a small stage with platforms, second part a large stage with multiple obstacles, and the third part a FD-esque stage, lip included. Not to mention the flat sections during transitions. I just feel it gives a wide variety to practice spacing, timing, buffering, and stage control.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
On-topic: For some reason, training mode for 10 minutes before matches helps A LOT. Anyone else feel the same? I think castle siege is the best place for training mode. The first part is a small stage with platforms, second part a large stage with multiple obstacles, and the third part a FD-esque stage, lip included. Not to mention the flat sections during transitions. I just feel it gives a wide variety to practice spacing, timing, buffering, and stage control.
I completely agree. I love training mode. Mostly because I have nobody to brawl offline except my brother and his friends who... aren't the best... but nevertheless. I learned all the funky ways to QD onto platforms in Battlefield, Delfino, Norfair, etc. by doing training mode, and I've managed to apply it to actual matches since. I also learned the timing for jab-canceling in training mode... I think the lack of an active opponent is great once in awhile so you can keep on top of your timing and stuff, like you said.

:034:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Let's all write a song for Japes. And how it likes us, but acts differently around some other characters.
[/downer]

But really, I messed around on Japes for a while today. I also think it can legitimately be a really good Ike stage now. It's pretty fun.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, you know what, ever since San made that big argument for Japes I've been going there a lot more too. It's actually pretty funny how many people hate that stage and hate me for taking them there, especially online. I'm hoping to practice and get good at it so I can start CPing it at tourneys and stuff. That would be a pre-game mind-game right there, an Ike CPing Japes in a tourney. We now know it has real potential to be an awesome stage, but a lot of people still think it's one of Ike's worst stages.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No Koast: I'll most likely be wearing my white shirt with piano keys and the words "Tickle me!" I've made a habit of wearing it at all the tourneys I attend. That is, I should be wearing it if my Texan blood doesn't freeze and make me need my green NORTH TEXAS hoodie.
Am I the only Ike Main who doesn't have some kinda signature clothing? I should just wear a suit to every event.

Yea, I wish I could go to No Koast, same with Hylian, and Zigsta, but it's a freaking 8-10 hour drive, and I got a test this upcoming Monday. Would definitely want to beat Kirk in dittos and place higher than him.

Hell, even Legan is coming, and I always wanted to play him offline.

Oh and Hylian has gotten better with Ike...at least in dittos. We did like 10+ matches today. Brett, watch out. He might soon become #2.

I lol'ed at Light's post.

I feel like calling out Metroid again since he is probably lurking again.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Let's all write a song for Japes. And how it likes us, but acts differently around some other characters.
[/downer]

But really, I messed around on Japes for a while today. I also think it can legitimately be a really good Ike stage now. It's pretty fun.
Jungle Japes can be good if you don't play a projectile spammer there... so just hope that you don't get CP'd on your CP.

I like Japes not because of the reasons san pointed out, but because of the two adjacent edges; they let you mess around with Aethers, and you can even switch which side you Aether onto. Then again, I've only done that in lag-fi, so I'm not sure how viable it is...

@Bored: You didn't need to call me out :laugh:.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Am I the only Ike Main who doesn't have some kinda signature clothing?
Probably, I have my Jesus Hair Style + Overshirt signature clothing style. Most of the time with dark shades as well.

Ike + Ganon works ridiculously well in low tiers, and I don't even understand why.
It's the pure epicness and manliness of the team. That team + Pirate Ship = GG

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jungle Japes can be good if you don't play a projectile spammer there... so just hope that you don't get CP'd on your CP.

I like Japes not because of the reasons san pointed out, but because of the two adjacent edges; they let you mess around with Aethers, and you can even switch which side you Aether onto. Then again, I've only done that in lag-fi, so I'm not sure how viable it is...

@Bored: You didn't need to call me out :laugh:.
Aetherdragging is so good there. I've been trying to work on aetherdragging people into the water, then spiking them with dair. You can also QD from underneath each of the sides, so you can escape if you feel pressured. QDing underneath though, there's a rare chance you won't grab the ledge, like Wolf's UpB. It's hard to really stay in one place and camp against Ike cause he can pressure so many people very well on those sides. (-falco. I haven't had the opportunity to play a falco main and go to that level though during tourneys. I always banned it before ).

Speaking of stages, what do people think about taking our bad matchups to brinstar? Inui said that he beat a good DDD there, and I've just been thinking how much of an advantage those characters really have on those levels. DDD, falco, olimar (if japes is banned), etc. I remember talking about brinstar before, but only relating to MK, which is a lost cause in terms of bad stages.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Speaking of stages, what do people think about taking our bad matchups to brinstar? Inui said that he beat a good DDD there, and I've just been thinking how much of an advantage those characters really have on those levels. DDD, falco, olimar (if japes is banned), etc. I remember talking about brinstar before, but only relating to MK, which is a lost cause in terms of bad stages.
I can see DDD and Falco being good to take there; the acid and relatively-small stage would be good for interrupting chaingrabs and helping out with camping issues. I'm not so sure about Olimar, but I think Ren said something about Brinstar being good against Olimar sometime when Brawl first came out.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Lol, I remember ****** the CRAP out of that poor ROB. I don't even remember the other character. I just remember that ROB getting ****ed up on Pirate Ship.

Pirate Ship seems to be legal in fewer and fewer places as time goes on. =[

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Same, that's all I can remember. Us destroying that ROB.

Poor ROB, he sucks so much at PS...

PS will always be legal in SA though as long as I'm around. :D I suck so much they think Ike is actually beatable there.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What makes Ike so great at Pirate Ship?(I have little experience there) If they avoid the water, it still seems like just a regular stage to me, the exception being that you can't get gimped. Is simply not getting gimped the only reason? I've just been thinking about it.

Kirk

Smash Champion
For Brinstar, I still haven't gotten accustomed to it yet. Though from what I can tell, one can 'camp' the right side of the stage, under the platform. You have a ledge to play with, and Aether tricksies. If you Aether on the lip just to the right of the 'logs,' you get an extended hitbox for your landing Aether, and you get a nice slide all the way back to the ledge, which naturally helps your camping game. In the same way, spacing Fsmash correctly, you can hit the pillar behind you, and then the logs in front of you, giving Fsmash a MUCH longer duration. With the platform above you and what you have in front of you to play with, you have A LOT of options covered.

This is all theory-craft...coming from very little experience, but now this is sounding fun...I'll have to practice up a little more. I should consider this counterpick more often...I find myself counterpick Battlefield for everything these days.

As for Pirate ship, of course there's water for water spiking, but the biggest advantage we have here is that we cannot get gimped. At least no more than any character can in water.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was just thinking because most of Ike's bad MUs are because he can get outcamped, notnecessarily gimped, so I was just wondering.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
I was fighting a zss today on brinstar and castle siege. brinstar is really good against zss imo. the stage is really small, which is even better for ike. zss is fast, but with enough pressure the zss get predictable and will be punished for that really easily. her neutral B doesn't help here too (a good ike won't get hit from her neutral b on the small stage.) Jab to grab works even better just like RAR. Bair kills her here really fast. On teh 1. stage on castle siege is enough place for you, but not for zss. the 2nd stage is the best imo because the statues protect you against her neutral b laz0rz (hellyesz =o) the 3rd is a little advantage for ike, because the stage tilts sometimes, which makes zss harder to recover.

and yes, i was bored. i wanted to upload some of the matches, but i didnt saved it.

note: lolwifi dont recover with QD

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
The lava/acid hates me. Period. It always comes up when I don't want it too, but when I need it to, it stays down.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
We should talk about our best and worst matches on Norfair (when legal).
That counter -> power shielding the lava is SO FUN. And SOLELY why I want to talk about who to take to Norfair (when legal).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I took Espy to Norfair, because apparently it's one of Sonic's worse stages.

Stupid lava killed me all three times. >_>

But in a friendly match, I beat some guy's DK at Norfair with Falcon. :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
We should talk about our best and worst matches on Norfair (when legal).
That counter -> power shielding the lava is SO FUN. And SOLELY why I want to talk about who to take to Norfair (when legal).
I figure you can do the same counter/shield thing in the lava at Brinstar? Quite possibly also in the laser beam that is shot out on the Halberd stage?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I figure you can do the same counter/shield thing in the lava at Brinstar? Quite possibly also in the laser beam that is shot out on the Halberd stage?
I wouldn't try the counter/shield thing on Brinstar. The acid is a hit-box that cannot be blocked nor countered, very much like Tabuu's red rings of death, but not anywhere near deadly.

The laser's hitboxes on the Halberd stage come out too quickly. You'll end up being hit before you can power-shield. An interesting thing I did find there (but very stupid) is that you can get stuck in the laser while using aether or eruption. Your super-armor frames will leave you in there.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Norfair is 50/50 for me. I don't feel any particular advantages, yet no disadvantages either. Ike has slight advantages/disadvantages against people who can/can't camp him there.

I heard from someone that falco doesn't like norfair, but I doubt it's true.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
norfair isn't allowed in most tournaments of germany. brinstar > norfair for me, so yea O_o

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
What makes Ike so great at Pirate Ship?(I have little experience there) If they avoid the water, it still seems like just a regular stage to me, the exception being that you can't get gimped. Is simply not getting gimped the only reason? I've just been thinking about it.
TBH i think its because people are completely ******** on that stage.

back in swat my partner was a TL and against xyro and dphat we counter picked pirate ship, they blindly decided to go after TL no matter where he was because they thought they just had to kill him and stay away from me.

My partner ended up spiking them and luring them to the water where we both owned them. The match could have been a lot harder if they just took another approach at it.

Also theres a thread saying Ike should be banned in low tier events lol.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Where, at brawl tactical discussion? Sadly, it's made by a known troll.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I think Ike has a lot of advantages on Pirate Ship, there are some really cool things you can do with some of the stage gimmicks. For example, I've managed to KO people ridiculously early by countering those big bombs and thus hitting them with enormous knockback (they have to not notice the bombs of course, but not a lot of people frequent PS). When the ship crashes on the rocks you can have a lot of fun with these things:

- Obviously there's a bit of a wall infinite on the ship's hull, I find it's not as reliable as a straight vertical wall like in PS1 but it works.
- If you can keep your opponent on the rocks, you can then Aetherdrag them into the water as the rocks recede to set up a water-spike.
- On the ship's deck itself, you slide super-far after an Aether, and people often don't expect it, so you can pretty much spam Aether and rack up some nice damage without having to worry about being punished. I've even Aetherslid below someone and caught them with an Usmash for the KO before they could react. Landing your Aether on the slanted platforms can throw people off as well.

Other than that, the stage isn't perfectly flat and it has obstacles so I've never really had a serious problem with someone camping me there. Also, the stage's gimmicks can really mess with someone who's trying to camp you (the catapult, the bombs, the rock section, the tornado... it all interrupts camping).

As for Norfair, I just like doing all kinds of silly Quickdraw shenanigans on that stage. You can QD through platforms and grab the edge at the other end and stuff, and I've managed to completely mind **** people doing that. I really like Norfair for Ike... not against all characters, but I think Ike does well in stages that are more vertical-based and Norfair has no significant horizontal stretches.

Tl;dr: Pirate Ship and Norfair are Ike's friends, so you should fight fo- well... on them.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I heard from someone that falco doesn't like norfair, but I doubt it's true.
Possibly because he can't laser camp you as easily as he could on a flat non-platform stage. I think Norfair is a common CP against D3 because he can't chaingrab you on the small platforms. In my opinion norfair is an OK stage but I don't think I have ever CPed it or taken an opponent there, I usually CP Smashville, Halberd, or Delfino.. I should probably start thinking more about CP's. Anyone know a good CP for Snake?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Non-flat levels with plenty of obstacles are better vs snake. Ban FD. A good snake would be very hard to approach, when all you have is a flat piece of land. Delfino, Rainbow Cruise (vs snake it's good), PS1, or any level you feel comfortable with (I don't recommend FD or smashville)

Snake is kind of weird, because he's pretty good on a lot of stages we are, too, so it's more player dependent on where you feel is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom