• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
WiFi suxXssssss.. I'm the only one of the Ike Mains who can't play him online? So, now I'm something special or so.. yeaaa?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wifi Ike is like wifi marth with twice the startup time (which feels longer in lag) and less aerial mobility, so it's much harder to space against so many characters. Not to mention getting around projectiles are harder for most characters (minus projectiles that take skill to hit) because projectiles launch themselves.

I think Ike is hit harder than some other characters.

I lost count of the times where I was doing a single jab, and got punished by a roll (behind me) + attack.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
People say Ike is SSS tier on WiFi because everyone has much less time to react to attacks in general and Ike still has loads of power, range, and priority which, yes, are harder to get by. The main problem with his attacks are that they're relatively laggy on startup, which is to complement the positives of their moves, and WiFi does a nice job in this factor. Everyone has their perks but being unable to reliably PS attacks that you probably won't punish on a normal shield unless ungodly spaced is a nice advantage that few characters get with their moves.

Stuff like... trying to jab and getting punished by someone rolling behind you and hitting you applies to everyone, not just Ike.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I only made that statement about rolling because Ike relies on jab for his ground game far more than anything else, so Ike cannot rely on his jab hardly at all in many matches when it counts. I never really said it didn't apply for other characters, but it hurts Ike pretty bad IMO.

It's harder to get by Ike's moves if they are spaced properly, but because of the startup time and precision needed, is much harder to even space in general. That's one of the reasons why marths do not do good on wifi, because of that lack of precision (even though it is still harder to get by their aerials, too) +OoS stuff but that's for later (most characters have OoS options). Also, quicker moves have less lag at the end, so one cannot capitalize on those moves very easily, even if they are mis-spaced more often.

One could say that fast attacks with little startup time are easier on wifi, because they can come out before one can *possibly react due to the 12+frame lag (estimation) wifi gives, while a longer startup time only makes it a bit harder.

If the ike is spacing so well on wifi that the *only way* to punish is through a PS, something is wrong. Just think of what the Ike can do offline.

Ike has a hard time against projectiles, which is even harder on wifi. DDD throws a projectile at you. Now DDD throws a projectile at you in lag. The second is just harder to avoid. It's much different than actual physical attacks that need a certain distancing to be safe.

Laggy on startup only applies if ike can just use those moves at will, but he can't unless spaced at a certain/safe distance, which Ike gets immensely hurt by if he can't do, with and without lag.

tl;dr version: Ike hurt by bad spacing more than other characters, no projectile

Don't feel like giving long explanations about every little thing.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
You didn't have to explain it because I understand that it's not all wonderful for Ike on WiFi and that you probably didn't mean it.... it's just that, from the perspective of someone whose best Ike play is this, I can't see exactly what hurts Ike so much.

Not that this is really worth discussing. WiFi sucks.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You didn't have to explain it because I understand that it's not all wonderful for Ike on WiFi and that you probably didn't mean it.... it's just that, from the perspective of someone whose best Ike play is this, I can't see exactly what hurts Ike so much.

Not that this is really worth discussing. WiFi sucks.
Wow...I can't believe Metroid got owned that badly in that video. Dang, Metroid...step it up.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap. JV 4-stock

I don't think you understand.

It's Ike. He has a fsmash.

Get it?
My god. This man is a genius!

I have Ghost in the Shell songs stuck in my head. Any one remember Inner Universe? Its awesome @ Final Destination.

Sakeno

Smash Rookie
Heyy guys i got a few question if you dont mind

1. When fighting a camping/spamming ROB
what would be the best approach ?
im having a really hard time whenever i play this kind of ROB

2. Is QD a good method for moving around the stage ?
(Sorry if u guys answered this already, didnt want to look
thru the many, many pages ><)

Thnx in advancee ^^

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Heyy guys i got a few question if you dont mind

1. When fighting a camping/spamming ROB
what would be the best approach ?
im having a really hard time whenever i play this kind of ROB

2. Is QD a good method for moving around the stage ?
(Sorry if u guys answered this already, didnt want to look
thru the many, many pages ><)

Thnx in advancee ^^
1. Fighting a campy/spammy ROB takes a lot of effort on your own end. By effort I mean, good offensive mind games and good hard reads. Note that when I say offensive mind games, this does not mean that you attack every time you approach. By finding out the ROB's habits (shielding, rolling, spot dodging, etc...) in certain situations, you can learn to capitalize on those habits by punishing them properly. Once you do get a chance to land a blow, continue to apply the pressure by being in his face until he gets a chance to reset. Afterward, proceed to do the same stuff over and over again.

In shorter terms, you gotta practice a lot with this match up and come up with stuff as you go along and gain experience.

I recommend approaching and spacing with F-air and N-air to see what he likes to do when the opponent is close. From there, it's all about making the right read and capitalizing on your opponent's actions.

2. Yes, it makes your opponent go "Oh ****!" when you send them flying, only for you to dash right into their face. This doesn't always mean you attack, but it does make your opponent go into a slight panic mode. Other times to use QD is when involved with being flashy or tricky. A perfect example would be when you are hanging on the edge of battle field, you proceed to get back onto stage by jumping into the air, charging QD, and landing on the platform furthest from you. Your opponent chases you, and you can drop beneath the platform and do a b-air.

o_0

That's clearly not me man :urg:.
I enjoy bringing you out from the lurking shadows LOL.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
haha I skimmed that post and it seems the tl:dr version would be move forward don't attack.

pretty odd way of winning even though its right.

edit: san how come you never travel? I think your the only good Ike that hasn't yet.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I've never traveled either, but I have an excuse :laugh:
inb4wowkimchiyoudon'tneedtostudy
wowkimchiyoudon'tneedtostudy.

Also, I'm so bored. My work schedule is messed up so I have several days off in a row and nothing to do because it's not the weekend and everybody's already asleep. Somebody brawl me on LagFi for the lawlz.

:034:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
haha I skimmed that post and it seems the tl:dr version would be move forward don't attack.

pretty odd way of winning even though its right.

edit: san how come you never travel? I think your the only good Ike that hasn't yet.
I'll need to find a ride if I were to travel OoS, and Cornell gives a lot of work, so I don't have too much time to be away. Maybe during break, maybe. At the moment, I can only travel places that are only a couple hours drive away.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll need to find a ride if I were to travel OoS, and Cornell gives a lot of work, so I don't have too much time to be away. Maybe during break, maybe. At the moment, I can only travel places that are only a couple hours drive away.
I feel ya. Not sure what your major is, but doing Pre-Med at UT Austin is a pain in the ***. Bad enough that I've started this week off with two straight days of staying up till 4 doing work.

At least I have bloodshot eyes now. I'm cool.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Engineering. ECE, CS, unsure. It's just that I have to rush and get everything done over the weekend before I go anywhere, or else I get screwed (which is what happened when I went to Syracuse lol).

But no ride = no chance, unless I'm willing to pay $80-$100+ to take the bus.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
San, Red-x,penta, and anyone else who plays ike, come to kosha boy!
If it isn't in this month, I might go, it's gang initiation month over here and I is scared :(
Also, it's gonna be akward if the photoshopped version of me that plays TL goes too >.>

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If it isn't in this month, I might go, it's gang initiation month over here and I is scared :(
Jesus... there's actually a widely accepted month for that kind of thing? The only crime we have where I live is speeding tickets >_>

:034:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Good times, good times..
I'm going to Return of Rochester this weekend, a local, so i cant go to any others.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Is anyone here going to NO KOAST?

I think Brett might be, but I'm not sure who else.
Brett will go as long as you go. That's what I heard from Brett at Phase 2.

Of course, I'll be there, too. :p Kansas shall test your stronger arm.

(If you do show up, I'll be wearing a black hat with shades on top of them, and a black WSU jacket. If it ends up being colder, expect an army coat. *hint-hint*)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
School talk. D=
I remember my senior year of high school. When I had barely any classes and half of them were complete blow-off classes. When I didn't go to school until everyone else had been there for nearly 2 hours. My last class was off campus and sometimes I'd make an excuse like "pep rally day" to skip that one as well.

And here I am as a sophomore music major at UNT. Taking what would be an "easy" degree plan for music, but still taking lessons even though I'm done with the requirements (most time-consuming part of school for a pianist)... meaning I'm actually taking extra.
[/downer]

No Koast: I'll most likely be wearing my white shirt with piano keys and the words "Tickle me!" I've made a habit of wearing it at all the tourneys I attend. That is, I should be wearing it if my Texan blood doesn't freeze and make me need my green NORTH TEXAS hoodie.

Sakeno

Smash Rookie
thnxx for the quick response !

yea ill keep practicing that matchup
and also (i dont if u guys answered this too, sorry if u did ><)
how can u walk off dair without fast falling ?
i always seem to fastfall and die TT

and i guess my friend was wrong bout
the ike community here :D

im definately gonna come here for my question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom