• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I play Ike because...when he hits with his sword, the sound effect is sexy.
And it's challenging to actually work for those hits with Ike.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I play Ike because...when he hits with his sword, the sound effect is sexy.
And it's challenging to actually work for those hits with Ike.
Exactly, I enjoy the challenge of trying to win consistently with Ike. I have a habit of doing that kind of thing with any game that I play... limiting myself in order to increase the challenge.

:034:

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
First off, any reason why you want to pick him up? If it's for certain matchups, perfect.
If it's for fun....idk -.-
I guess fun is a reason.
I also need someone to use besides Link in low tiers. Getting gimped by every character in the game gets boring after a while. =\

Hi. Have any specific questions or anything? I'm too tired to go over every strategic aspect of Ike for someone who plans to second him right now... although I'd be glad to give you pointers if you need any. Just be warned that getting good with Ike isn't easy, and winning with him consistently at a high level is very difficult and frustrating at times. It's fun though, I couldn't play as any other character... besides Ganondorf and occasionally Captain Falcon.

At the moment, I'm just learning his general playstyle and how he's played at competitive levels. After getting more experience with him I plan to try him out in a few tournaments. Doesn't help that NY/NJ has a lot of Ike experience though. ~_~

Random question: I'm gonna be mm'in a Link player for 10 bucks. What is my best neutral and CPs to go with in this game? And what should I ban?
Try to avoid FD the whole set. Try to take him to maps that **** his recovery like Lylat or Frigate. Maps with platforms are pretty good too, helps get past his mediocre spam game.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
At the moment, I'm just learning his general playstyle and how he's played at competitive levels. After getting more experience with him I plan to try him out in a few tournaments. Doesn't help that NY/NJ has a lot of Ike experience though. ~_~
Sounds good. Just watch some videos, read around some guides and stuff at the forum. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask right here in the general thread... someone's always around.

I take it you main Marth? If so the learning curve for Ike shouldn't be as steep as it would be for some other mains. Their play-style is pretty similar, seeing as neither has a projectile and they both rely on their range and spacing moves a lot. Moves you want to use often and get the hang of early on are Ike's Nair, Fair and his Jabs (also Usmash for punishing instead of other smash attacks). Moves to avoid in most situations are Quick Draw, Dsmash, Dair on-stage... Dash attack unless as a follow-up to Bthrow...

I dunno, I'm too tired to elaborate too much right now. You'll get the hang of it.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
I take it you main Marth? If so the learning curve for Ike shouldn't be as steep as it would be for some other mains. Their play-style is pretty similar, seeing as neither has a projectile and they both rely on their range and spacing moves a lot. Moves you want to use often and get the hang of early on are Ike's Nair, Fair and his Jabs (also Usmash for punishing instead of other smash attacks). Moves to avoid in most situations are Quick Draw, Dsmash, Dair on-stage... Dash attack unless as a follow-up to Bthrow...

I dunno, I'm too tired to elaborate too much right now. You'll get the hang of it.

I've been maining Link and Marth since release, been playing both in tournaments for a few months now.

Yeah, he's pretty similar to Marth. I need to space his Fairs better to avoid shieldgrabs, that's my biggest problem at the moment.

Using Link taught me about how useful jab cancels are, I've been using them a lot for Ike.

Is that Bthrow to dash attack close to guaranteed? I tend to just reset my spacing after throwing them.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Random question: I'm gonna be mm'in a Link player for 10 bucks. What is my best neutral and CPs to go with in this game? And what should I ban?
Bored you need to be MM better characters so you can show off how good your Ike is, we talked about this.

I don't even know why you would need advise against link but all you really need to do if get him off the stage and then a walk of fair will take care of his stock. He has a pretty spikeable recovery too since your using attack stick now.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Is that Bthrow to dash attack close to guaranteed? I tend to just reset my spacing after throwing them.
Resetting your spacing is generally a good idea unless of course you threw them off-stage, in which case by all means follow-up with a walk-off aerial of some kind or whatever. Don't use Uthrow or Dthrow except in very situational moments (throw somebody onto a platform above you to shark them for example). Don't use Fthrow unless it's to get somebody off-stage, because Fthrow has no follow-ups.

Now, Bthrow to DA is guaranteed sometimes. There are certain characters who, at certain percents, will get hit by it no matter what, however extensive testing has yet to be done on it, so I can't tell you exactly what characters and at what percents it is guaranteed. Just be sure that it is usually a safe option... I'd say within the 25% - 60% damage range on most characters. Don't try it too early or too late. I intend to do some testing on Bthrow -> DA myself when I get a chance, and actually figure out the damage range in which it works on each character. That data could certainly be useful.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bored you need to be MM better characters so you can show off how good your Ike is, we talked about this.

I don't even know why you would need advise against link but all you really need to do if get him off the stage and then a walk of fair will take care of his stock. He has a pretty spikeable recovery too since your using attack stick now.
Step by step son. I win guaranteed money, then I move up. I'm actually MM'in Vorguen and Broly's Lucas (Don't know how good his Lucas is).

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I use Fthrow and Bthrow interchangeably. Depending on where on the stage I want my opponent. I tend to follow them up in the same ways... depending on their damage. Either way, just run toward the opponent and keep pressure on them.
But yeah, Bthrow does have an easier dash attack follow up.

Uthrow is the one you never use.
Dsmash doesn't exist.
Special moves are rare ones.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
Resetting your spacing is generally a good idea unless of course you threw them off-stage, in which case by all means follow-up with a walk-off aerial of some kind or whatever. Don't use Uthrow or Dthrow except in very situational moments (throw somebody onto a platform above you to shark them for example). Don't use Fthrow unless it's to get somebody off-stage, because Fthrow has no follow-ups.

Now, Bthrow to DA is guaranteed sometimes. There are certain characters who, at certain percents, will get hit by it no matter what, however extensive testing has yet to be done on it, so I can't tell you exactly what characters and at what percents it is guaranteed. Just be sure that it is usually a safe option... I'd say within the 25% - 60% damage range on most characters. Don't try it too early or too late. I intend to do some testing on Bthrow -> DA myself when I get a chance, and actually figure out the damage range in which it works on each character. That data could certainly be useful.

If it truly is guaranteed on a few characters, I'm gonna start using that a lot. Thanks. xD

Thanks for the throw advice too. Usually I just throw people toward toward the edges and try to pressure them offstage. Gonna try the uthrow and dthrow platform thing out.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
lol, everybody says the sig is awesome. why the **** its awesome? its my ****ing bad english lol

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Uthrow is the one you never use.
Dsmash doesn't exist.
Special moves are rare ones.
Uthrow is the one you use once Dthrow would send them too far.
Dsmash is for epic lulz attempting to Dtilt someone as they recover from the water at Pirate Ship and accidently hit them with both hits of Dsmash.
Special Moves are....special.

:D

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If I grab someone near the ledge and I'm facing the ledge, sometimes I like to fthrow and dash attack. It works surprisingly well, because to avoid it they usually have to air dodge, and in some cases can jump (other characters jump and still get hit by dash attack).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Don't diss counter. I love that move. I've KO'd someone with it on the edge of FD to the far blastzone. The 1.2x thingy + Lucas's charged Usmash = PWN'D.

It's probably Ike's move with the second most built in mindgames after Fsmash. Getting hit by Ike's counter means "Oh snap, I'm getting predictable. Panic time!" While getting hit by Fsmash is "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" *opponent starts running around in circles in a blind panic*

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Actually, full hop or double jump eruption near the ledge works pretty well, because they can't really air dodge towards the stage or attack you, or else they'll get it. They'll have to avoid it entirely, and you won't usually get punished unless that character has great range, too. It works best when the opponent already used his double jump.

It's pretty situational, but it's useable against some characters.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My favorite time to use counter is definitely when you are hanging on the edge and your opponent is charging a smash attack. You can jump back onto the stage, but activate counter right away, causing your opponent to hit Ike in his counter stage, which equals epic damage and epic moment.

Though the downside is if you predict wrong, you are most likely gonna die...but hey, never happened to me.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
I like to run offstage with counter and gimp her recovery with that. It doesnt work with every char, true, but its rly usefull imo, because when ur opponent is still able to come back to the edge, u can kill him with a aetherspike.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I like to run offstage with counter and gimp her recovery with that. It doesnt work with every char, true, but its rly usefull imo, because when ur opponent is still able to come back to the edge, u can kill him with a aetherspike.
That's what you can do easily against DK/Spacies(maybe).

EDIT:
I usually don't bring up topics from a long time ago, but I put that sound effect on my shotgun. Ike's f-tilt is on my chaingun, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRPQ03mfzWg#t=7m3s
Mr. Doom is awesome.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Awesome sig is awesome.

A_B, how'd the tooth surgery go? You have some pain killers you wanna share?

BIG EDIT: http://mmoon24.blogspot.com/

Keep tabs on this for more future awesomeness.
Pretty ok I'll eat food again soon, I've always wondered if pain killers work and they do :laugh:

I doubt broly's lucas is any good though you should have tried for his marth much funner.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Be careful with aether spike attempts on some characters. I have u-air, n-aird, shuttle looped someone after DI'ing out of aether. It was pretty fun :)

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
theeboredone said:
...but I eventually came to accept that a higher being was involved in keeping me alive. For that, I thank you Batman.
...You sir, are truly awesome.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere on the board, I've read that the best method for canceling vertical momentum with Ike is Dair with the C-stick set to smash. But as we're all aware of, using c-stick set to attack removes the fast falling (which we use primarily for walk off dairs). Now what I want to know is how would be the best method for canceling vertical momentum while being equipped with the attack stick?

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
i do my momentun cancels with bair when i use the tilt settings. it works pretty good lol

Palpi

Smash Hero
I thought we all agreed on B-air for momentum cancelling. Especially with tilt stick since it doesn't auto fast fall.

Horizontal is air-dodge + jump.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I thought we all agreed on B-air for momentum cancelling. Especially with tilt stick since it doesn't auto fast fall.
I thought that according to Kirk's thread, BAir and DAir work equally well, but DAir is more commonly recommended because most people have the default C-stick setting, so it will auto-fastfall.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah, you're right. B-air is better with attack stick since it comes out faster...i think.. haha.

I meant that d-air doesnt auto fast fall with attack stick melo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom