• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for helping :)

Post buttons are about to be 8px smaller vertically.
how about like ... 20px smaller lol.
both vertically and horizontally.

and can you make the announcements box as wide as the others? It looks awkward currently.

Oh and also i suggest darkening the bright blue bar at the top with the user cp links and what not on it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Might as well put up specific advise I suppose:

-Already addressed, but shrink the volume of the button sizes by 50%
-Also already addressed: shrink the volume of the top of page banner by 50%
-Remove the sidebar, add the links to their own dropdown tab in the "Welcome/Options" bar at the top of the page. It doesn't need it's own sidebar and disrupts the flow of the site's main page.
-Change colour of the buttons, make them all uniform. The orange colour isn't bad for example, and still has colour without being an eye sore. I know SSB series is colour, but you don't go multicoloured for a web site unless it's for the age group of like, 8-12. Otherwise, it's just a huge "no-no" in site design and looks unprofessional. Banner is colourful enough by itself, thank you very much
-Change colour of the "Welcome/Options" bar to a more muted colour. It's clashing/arguing/just doesn't look right with the site logo.
-Change the message part of the bar to only show unread messages. We don't need to know how many total messages we have and is a waste of space.
-Shrink the icons for Boards/Info/Connection by another 50% within the 50% reduction in the whole upper banner, they shouldn't draw your eye more than the site logo.
-Shrink the gap in between posts by 50%
-Tinker around with the grey scale, it's not quite working as it is. Some of them are too similar and beside each other, such as the "time of post" bar and "space between posts".
-Like others said, re-add multiquote
-Make the announcement box as wide as the others. You are disrupting the flow of the site with it being slightly smaller: another big "no-no" for making web sites.
-Make announcement box collapsable. No, it's not worth the advertising to force everyone to look at it.

And lastly, though not fully on you: please please please please please please please add by the revolution skin option. Don't touch a thing on it. Yes, we know it's broken in a few select minor areas. No, we don't care.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a little curious why there needs to be both an "Announcements" and "Announcements Discussion."

It's a little redundant, especially when the announcements discussion thread is just a copy paste of the announcement thread. Why not just post the announcement and then let it work like any other thread?

Edit:
Actually, this is probably better suited for the suggestion box. Posting it there.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It'll have to grow on me, but the revolution forum had a badass feel to me mainly because it was so organized, the menu banner was appealing enough, and I really liked how the forum's width was slimmer than the new one.

This skin just feels too colorful, and the banner, while well-made, is just too bright.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
People that are crying about Revolution being taken out don't understand that this website does not exist for only them lmao. Having a skin with a bunch of broken options is unprofessional whether you personally are used to it or not.

Smaller buttons sounds **** tho, can't wait for that...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
People that are crying about Revolution being taken out don't understand that this website does not exist for only them lmao. Having a skin with a bunch of broken options is unprofessional whether you personally are used to it or not.

If it ends up being the second most used skin by a large margin, it doesn't hurt to put it back up, now does it?

And broken links are a whole lot more understandable than a kaleidoscope of colour.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
And broken links are a whole lot more understandable than a kaleidoscope of colour.
No, they are not, unless your target audience is a broken links fetishist. You won't find any web designer anywhere that condones broken links regardless of how well the colors around them flow together.

D

Deleted member

that's like saying the internet isn't only seen on IE.

and broken as in 2 missing icons? okay

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If it ends up being the second most used skin by a large margin, it doesn't hurt to put it back up, now does it?

there's only like 3 options lol. being #2 isn't that big of a deal.
except for premium members. but **** those guys.

No, they are not, unless your target audience is a broken links fetishist. You won't find any web designer anywhere that condones broken links regardless of how well the colors around them flow together.
Yeah, this.
If i see a broken link i just don't use that website.
especially on the header area...

Yikarur

Smash Master
I don't like that rainbow smashball icon D: the Black Smash Logo was so good
and..

I would like to have revolution as an option.

<3

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Spelt, right now there are 4 options. Revolution would bring it back to 5.

And seeing as I never found a broken link in Revolution Stingers: they are obviously very minor, rarely obtrusive broken links. Unlike the colours that are there on every single post. Under normal circumstances, if I run into a website with these many different colours for their buttons, I back away. Broken link? Depends on the link.

@MK26: An option is an option.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
and niddo, i dont think mobile really counts as an option...
Yup. And vibrant doesn't count either.

The 3 options i'm talking about are classic blue, smash blue, and revolution. obviously.
and revolution was the default theme too so obviously a lot of people are going to use it.
being the second most used skin in those conditions is actually BAD.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Spelt: I was referring to overall use with all options. Vibrant would be most used because "lol default", but I'm willing to bet that Revolution wouldn't be that behind, and miles ahead of any blue ones.

On a random note: current number of Ike mains who have said something positive about the Vibrant skin on the Ike boards = 0.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I would love to have the Revolution option available because I like it the most and I started using it on SWF when I joined the community in 2007. I'd be very sad to see it go despite any broken links or whatever is wrong with it(never affected me so I wouldn't know about it).

Vibrant skin isn't too bad but I'm not crazy about the darker background with a sudden explosion of color at the top....maybe I'm just weird like that though(not really sure what to suggest for that except maybe consistent dark background but that's just the revolution skin talking probably haha). The buttons being smaller would be a cool change.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
there is no feedback listed, you just said that random nameless people didnt like it, with no constructive criticism or any actual posts whatsoever. all you are doing is *****ing.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
there is no feedback listed, you just said that random nameless people didnt like it, with no constructive criticism or any actual posts whatsoever. all you are doing is *****ing.
Saying you don't like it is feedback. Not good feedback, but still feedback. People are able to click on the one active topic we have on the Ike boards and see it if they are curious. Not that hard to do.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I really like how easy it is to navigate around the site with some of the options it gives now like tournaments, tier list, etc., but I liked how the old one looked a lot more TBH, but it's still great.

Mit

Smash Ace
Man, some of you really overreact to these colors. Rainbows? Kaleidoscopes? There's three colors primarily being used on the forums. Red, orange, and green. The shades of them all work well. It can be difficult incorporating more than 2 colors into designs, but this definitely pulls it off, and I applaud them.

Even the blue, top banner fits. And certainly doesn't clash.

If these changes were implemented I think it would have a lot less people flocking here to complain:

- Designed around a 1024x768 resolution instead of 1280x1024. This is a really wide layout for forums. Very long lines of text. Large stepup from the old 800x600 design.

- Smaller buttons. Not that much smaller, but apparently it's driving people nuts. Post reply and thread icons are fine I think, but the homepage forum icons are a bit huge, and the quote/+/report buttons could be smaller (although personally I think those are fine). Oh, and either get rid of that glow or tone it down.

- Smaller header, and the ability to collapse the Major Tournaments/Announcements box. Combined with the ad and the forum navigation, it makes it so you have to scroll to see just about any content at all, and I'm using a 1920x1080 resolution. SRK recently added something that does this, and it's not very cool... I think the blue in the header is fine, as well as the other colors used up there, as it ties the logo into everything nicely, but yes, you could probably stand to give it a darker background. I can't help but think right now that the whole reason for the light background is due to the lack of a transparent smash ball graphic that would show nicely on a dark background.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Just read overswarms post. Harsh as it may be I agree with about everything he says. The butler vs salesman thing really is the problem here.

This whole situation could have been prevented if we just got to see a mockup and some wireframes of the new skin before this was implemented. We'de have given the same feedback and but we could have aided in finding a new better design.

Why this was all done behind doors is beyond me really.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
the colors just drag the eye away from every post to the bottom right of the screen. Keep things the way they are now and you will see an increase of crossed eyes or glasses at tournaments

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just read overswarms post. Harsh as it may be I agree with about everything he says. The butler vs salesman thing really is the problem here.

This whole situation could have been prevented if we just got to see a mockup and some wireframes of the new skin before this was implemented. We'de have given the same feedback and but we could have aided in finding a new better design.

Why this was all done behind doors is beyond me really.
Overswarm's posts have no meaning for me until he stops using IE.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Are you using 1920x1080? I am, and yeah, I like it :p I did drag it over to a 1280x1024 monitor though, and it doesn't seem as nice.
Yeah I think I am.

And well I dunno, but I'm loving it and I'm hoping they don't make all the buttons small. Mostly because I ran out of Premium so I don't have Leekskin and I really want a skin that totally doesn't suck >_>

Purple

Hi guys!
Moderate me so I can use it too. ^_^

what the hell is this even about? :|. I probably should switch to the home skin to see what's up.

I like this design honestly, However I'd agree with some tab size changes, just having edit, quote, + and ! would be enough.. I think overswarm tried to hard to **** on this skin.

Sariku

Smash Master
wow @ my gif not working.
what the hell is this even about? :|. I probably should switch to the home skin to see what's up.
First, my post was sarcastic. The thing isn't bad. It shows talent and a lot of hard work [trying to be nice]. It just doesn't feel like "Smashboards" to me.

And it's kinda lame that you guys get special skins. jsyk. Airgemini told me about it.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
wow @ my gif not working.

I like this design honestly, However I'd agree with some tab size changes, just having edit, quote, + and ! would be enough.. I think overswarm tried to hard to **** on this skin.
i found it hilarious

Purple

Hi guys!
First, my post was sarcastic. The thing isn't bad. It shows talent and a lot of hard work [trying to be nice]. It just doesn't feel like "Smashboards" to me.

And it's kinda lame that you guys get special skins. jsyk. Airgemini told me about it.
Yeah, we shouldn't get special skins.

Or special powers either.

We should just be members that are named moderators.

Top Bottom