• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

sasook.

Smash Cadet
Soo just hopped onto SWF for the first time today and here's what I think; I'll try to break it down as much as possible.

The Good:
-The new features are fantastic; the livestream thing is a feature AiB just put up very recently too, good to see it's made its way here as well.
-The Info button at the top is so convenient, like honestly whoever thought of that idea deserves a hug.
-Connect is nice to see, sorta reminds me of AiB's "Me" page and I feel it definitely would promote a lot of social interaction, since the rep of this place is really uptight and such.
-The live updater (the little FB-like notification about new posts that were just made) is a really good idea.
-The ease of access to metagame-related material from the homepage (the tier list, the MU chart, etc.) is nice too.

The Bad:
-Lack of an option for Revolution; I'm not saying if it becomes available again, I'm going to immediately switch back. This was probably disabled in order to promote this new skin, which is understandable, but there were several nice things about that skin that are really missed with this one, such as how easy it was on the eyes (everything was simple, to sum it up) and the appearance of everything was professional and sleek, which is what SWF is known for.

-The contrast......everywhere. The banner at the top is exceedingly bright compared to the dark skin of the site (it's pretty hard just to see your own name next to where your PM box is), and the neon glow which all names and words seem to have only adds to that. Sure, it's cool at first, but it's also a bit heavy on the eyes; I've already had to look closely at a few mods' names to actually read their name. Even as I type this now in the quick reply box, there's this little grayish bar made to give me the feel as if my letters are glowing as I type them. Cool idea, but the execution backfired a little, IMO.

-The icons. This issue has been addressed by many people already, but it needs to be said; the icons really are too big. With the size, lack of sleekness that the old ones had, and the colors, they just look goofy. The "this user is online" icon went from a nice, goldish Melee sign to a bright yellow dot which looks like a poor imitation of a 3rd grader's drawing of the sun. But I'm not talking about just the icons within posts; I'm talking about all icons. The sticky icon, the icons next to threads that have new replies, the icons next to character boards, etc. They're all way too big, distracting the reader's eye from the words he's viewing and detracting from the quality of the viewing experience as a whole.

-It doesn't appear as if the space on a page has been used efficiently. This goes hand-in-hand with the icons thing, but the character posts have been widened, yet the font size is the same, which means it was pretty unnecessary. In fact, the only things the new space in the posts accommodates are the giant icons. On the home page, while easy access to the tier list and such is nice, they're so big and bright it's almost forcing your eye to split the page in a skewed manner; if these icons were to go somewhere else (honestly I can't give a suggestion here, so forgive me for sounding hypocritical) I think it may be easier to look at and be more efficient because that new space could be used for something else.

-This one is purely opinion, so take it with more than a grain of salt, but I did prefer SWF's old font better. I don't quite know how to explain it, but that sort of grayish, boldish-but-not-quite-bold like font style was quite fun to type in.

Hmm, that's about all I have to say for now. If I think of more, I'll be sure to add it in. Though, if I may, a few suggestions:

-One of the things that really caught my eye was the section of "Major Tournaments" up at the top. This gave me an idea; could there be a way to monitor tournaments that you choose yourself? I'm not talking about subscribing to threads, I mean sort of like a shopping list on Amazon; you hit "add to cart" and then it's there, accessible at all times. So if I want to follow a tournament that's going to happen in the middle of June in Florida, I may forget about it by the time it comes around. Unless there'd be a little link that says "Upcoming Tournaments You're Watching" or something to that effect. My apologies if something like this already exists and I was not aware of it.

-I'd like the option for Revolution back, just because I feel the option should be available.

If I think of any others, I'll be sure to post that as well.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Removing the brawl icons would do this site wonders in looking less transvestitish.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
After using this skin at lawson computer science building at purdue, I like it.

(but my monitor is !@#$ing huge and wide)

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
This skin is ugly as sin. Removing the old one as an option is a huge slap in the face.

**** barlw.

Stratford

Smash Champion
So I've got premium, and with the new skin, I see ads (there's that banner near the top). But in all the other skins, no ads.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Anything I have to say has already been stated and most likely, noted.

The Revo skin was much easier on the eyes and didn't make me feel like I was 10. Good that we got a new selectable skin, but at the cost of one that many have come to know and love, I don't feel is of order. Don't get me wrong, I like the new skin; a few flaws that have been addressed prior to my post, but it's fine. Although I would enjoy being able to switch to Revo skin at a time of my choosing. The Friday skin was also fun to mess around with, if I may extend my request further.

But that's just me >_> Smash Blue until this gets settled. I'm not too big on forward complaining.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'm not sure if anyone else has really touched on this, because I'm not reading 25 pages during class on discussion, but, I want the OLD revolution skin back, right now I'm on smash blue, if I have to use smash mobile, I'll use it.
So, will revolution be avilable soon? I love that theme to death.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ngh, I honestly don't find what people find good about that skin. I hate the overall layout >_> But that's just me though so I guess other's opinions are different than mine.

But yeah, I still really hope everything still stays as flashy and huge as it is right now

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I actually kind of like the bright colors. The only thing I really wish could change would be the white header at the top, if that was a dark gray or something, then I wouldn't really see anything to complain about. Also think the glow around the names is dope. The size issues people are talking about, I don't really understand, it doesn't look bad to me.

Purple

Hi guys!
You changed your decision in an hour? :V
I guess that teaches me to rely on old news.
what i said earlier said:
I probably should switch to the home skin to see what's up.

I like this design honestly, However I'd agree with some tab size changes, just having edit, quote, + and ! would be enough.. I think overswarm tried to hard to **** on this skin.
That skimming though.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually I don't remember seeing that picture, so it's likely I outright skipped that post when clicking "last page" or something.

Purple

Hi guys!
Yeah probably, that makes sense though.

I'm sure Ankoku absolutely loves this skin, goes right with his postbit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My postbit is more vibrant than Vibrant itself!

But actually I had severe issues with certain elements, and the conclusion of the disagreement was that I did not have the final say, so no changes were made. I don't see much point to bringing it up again.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what is all this talk about broken links on revolution?

I never encountered any

stingers

Smash Obsessed
they were all over the place...clearly you weren't using it right

it is like using MK, and only using down B and utilt, and not understanding why he was a broken character.

BunBun

Smash Master
they were all over the place...clearly you weren't using it right

it is like using MK, and only using down B and utilt, and not understanding why he was a broken character.
They weren't very noticeable. Through my normal use of the forum, I never encountered any. Only when I went hunting for things did I find any.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I am not really a fan at all. In general it is too big and in your face and the header bar is just bleh.

Could you guys supply an option to the layout thingy on the bottom (you know, smash blue, classic blue, etc...) for the pre-vibrant skin?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Oh man, Stylish and Greasemonkey to the rescue. Fixing that width is probably the best thing I've ever done to a webpage, and I've done some great things.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I still don't see what the problem is

Everything is so sleek and modern and colorful enough to keep my short attention span going

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh man, Stylish and Greasemonkey to the rescue. Fixing that width is probably the best thing I've ever done to a webpage, and I've done some great things.
I don't get this.

Revolution's width was the only reason I didn't like it. It was so tiny, especially on a 1900 x 1080 screen.

This width seems perfectly reasonable to me.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I don't get this.

Revolution's width was the only reason I didn't like it. It was so tiny, especially on a 1900 x 1080 screen.

This width seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Of course you don't, because you have a screen of absolutely absurd size.

D

Deleted member

I thought you made it wider.

also 1920x1080 isn't absurd, it's kind of becoming the default large size

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
1900 x 1080 is pretty standard nowadays.

And this is a laptop lololol.

Says the guy who has access to staff-only skins.
This is also dumb. My favorite skins are mod-only. Why are there even mod-only skins? Why deny users the use of them? It's all just cosmetics. Is it supposed to be an incentive to become a mod or something?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Technically, they're unfinished. Along with having a couple of broken image links, they're not properly set up to have MLG's ads.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I thought you made it wider.

also 1920x1080 isn't absurd, it's kind of becoming the default large size
"default large"

OK, kids, most of us can't afford that ****. I pay what is essentially rent, school, car + insurance, and everything else on $10 an hour, what may be standard for you kids who have parents buying you **** isn't for all of us.

Also, I was talking about making it smaller.

Anyways, LMAO

MMM, you said you know how to code, but

Playing around with

{
min-width: XXXpx !important;
}

Where XXX is a number value, anything lower than 975 caused the buttons on the top to begin wrapping. You used the same frame for the top and the main site?

Herp a derp, I guess I can't make the width of the site 800px to match the adbox without completely braking the damn thing.

EDIT: And that's another thing; that ad box should be dynamic and not display for premium, which I have, but yet it's impemented as a static rectangle in the background. Yet more poor design.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Of course you don't, because you have a screen of absolutely absurd size.
How is 1920x1080 absurd? Hell, my laptop's screen is that large, AND IT'S A LAPTOP. I think that's what most screens are starting to use anyways

The fact that the thing is as wide as it is is better than that extremely skinny width that Revolution has. The width was what actually drove me away from Revolution into Smash Blue (then Ambigutor and Leekskin later on) that have either half the amount of times larger than Revolution or twice the amount times larger than Revolution.

Although I would agree that the fact that Revolution went away as an option sucks. Personally I couldn't care less whether or not it leaves, but it does kinda seem unfair to others who used that skin more than I did.

Top Bottom