• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Full announcement below. Discuss away!

Smashboards is incredibly excited to announce the new, and completely revamped, home of the boards.

Codenamed the “way more awesome than our last skin” (ok, I just made that part up) smashboards developer MetalMusicMan came up with the mock-up. He and Bionic shouldered majority of the development. There were also contributions and feedback from the entire smashboards senate and the smashboards developer group. It was a team effort in terms of idea, feedback, and making this the best we could.

It provides a better portal for our backroom content, a way to highlight our communities’ upcoming tournaments, optimized forum headings, features great topics, provides fresh and updated graphics, and a lot of positive tweaks throughout. But it is not something I need to tell you about. It’s live, experience it for yourselves.

As great as our new skin is it will be a project that will never be complete. We will continue to make improvements, add different skins/colors, and tweak it. We would love to hear what you think and make for a better and better SWF. So if you have ideas, thoughts, or feedback that can help us do a better job of this, post it up in the announcement discussion topic.

A couple misc. notes. The old revolution default is now selectable. Also, Bionic and MetalMusicMan deserve all the credit in the world for taking this from concept to reality. If you like it, leave them a shout out, or post in the discussion topic to let them know. These guys worked hard on this. Lastly for all you conspiracy theorist out there, NO APRIL FOOLS (Even though Friday World Forums were awesome)!

Forum Changes

Announcement Discussion: Now sub of the "Announcement" parent
SWF Archive: Moved to the bottom of the "General Discussion" main page category
MLG Brawl: Now a Sub of "General Brawl Discussion" *note* will be brought back if and when there is an exciting announcement for Super Smash and the Major League Gaming Pro Circuit
Brawl Stage Discussion, Brawl 1-Player Modes, Brawl Online Discussion: A new main forum "Brawl In-Depth" has been created. The three are now all selectable sub-forums of it.
1-Player Mode: Now a sub-forum of Melee Discussion
All the Smash Back Rooms: A new "Smash Back Rooms" main page forum has been created in the password protected section at the bottom of the forums. All are located within. *Note* We believe the new right bar does such a great job presenting these key pieces of the community to the community it was no longer needed to have them in their old locations. They were the only private forums we had on the home page that were not under the password protected section. We did that so people could see they existed, get interested about them. The new home of SWF does this.

Livestreams

A new functionality added within Smashboards lets everyone know when a livestream is scheduled to begin and end. This will be displayed on the top of the page whenever there is a livestream scheduled to begin:

(red box not included)

Tournament Organizers, if you wish to put your livestream on display on the top of the page: when you create or edit your tournament event in our Tournament Calendar, there is an option at the bottom (below where you type your post) to put in a livestream link:

Nothing else will be needed! Livestreams on the top of the page will be updated automatically using the Tournament Calendar system. All topics advertising a livestream in Tournament Discussion will be locked.

Should there be no livestreams available to watch, the box above will simply show announcements:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
oh God, please tell me this isn't happening.

jk <3.

It's pretty nice. It's great on the eyes - but it may take a bit of getting used to.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Hope everyone enjoys it!

I spent many a long night in Photoshop, pew pewin' dem graphix, in Notepad++ pew pewin' dat code, and endlessly pestering Bionic about Vbulletin-specific nonsense :p We worked really hard on this and hope everyone loves it!!!!

We both accept hugs and high-fives as donations if you feel like giving them out :D

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
OH MAN
OH GOD
OH MAN
OH GOD
OH MAN
OH GOD
OH MAN
OH GOD!!!!

it was worth tuning out lectures in some of my classes to work on this skin :D

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Seeing as how the other skins still work, do you think there could be one made that reflects the one we had 30 minutes ago? I actually liked that one. This new stuff is nice and all, but I need a choice!

Eaode

Smash Champion

I guess I'll be the first to express disgust, not really in the skin (although the obvious brawl theme annoys me also), but mainly in the fact that revolution is no longer selectable. I mean people can select classic blue or whatever the hell, even though i bet like 3 people use it, but we are now forcefully deprived of the revolution we all know and love?

although the live thread update is nice

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I like this new style. However, I also am very fond of the old style. I don't see why it was removed, when there are other styles ("Smash Blue"/"Classic Blue") that seem obsolete. I'd rather have a choice between the two, than be forced on this new style.

Sypherphoenix beat me to it in a simpler form. Also Eaode

I also agree with Espy down there VV It contrasts so much from the rest of the style. I know nothing about design, but that's what I think.

Gotta admit the large buttons are pretty distracting.

----

While I'm here, you guys should consider a NEW version of Smash Mobile. That thing hasn't been optimized in ages, and it's a pain to look at on smartphones.

----

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I just don't like the banner on the tippy top of the page. It's white and hurts my eyes.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
This looks alright. It'll take some getting used to, but I have no complaints. I was posting in a topic and once I posted it all the changes happened and I was like "huh?" lol

I just don't like the banner on the tippy top of the page. It's white
Racist.

M@v

Subarashii!
Very impressive, I approve. As everything new it will take time to adjust, but as an IT major, this new skin makes me very happy.

Props to everyone involved.

link2702

Smash Champion
i want the old skin back....not gonna lie....not too found of the new one.

Mewter

Smash Master
Just refreshed a page about 30 seconds ago and saw it.
Good job guys! It looks very nice. :awesome:

Sails

Smash Ace
I always run Smash Blue, but I heard about this moments ago and have to agree that on small resolutions like 1200x900 (A non-standard resolution that I run) the buttons are gigantic. The bar at the top clashes so hardcore too. This is truly Web 2.0 (starburst) at it's finest...

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Looks like a playschool theme, not a fan but the hard work is appreciated, why not eliminate Smash Blue or Classic Blue since it's like the same thing? Other skin that this seems to have replaced was my favorite.

It was called Revolution, bring it back yo.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Can we please have an option to switch to the old one? This new one is nice, but I actually really liked revolution.

Also, huge glitch for me:

Running Firefox, so it shouldn't be the browser's fault.

Edit: Gah, bad screenie. Essentially, everything is cut in half and shoved to the right for the actual list of boards.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Does the same for me with Opera.

Bionic and MMM, thanks. Screw it I'm VMing you.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Thanks, but why did you completely get rid of the old one? It's the only one I like and I don't see why it needed to be deleted.

I'm not crazy for this new skin since I'm not visually impaired, but good job you guys.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The new skin looks horrible. Can you guys at least make revolution available to pick? I can understand making a new one. But why take away the old?

This new skin has horrible looking quote multi-quote and report buttons. They look like rubber buttons instead of the sleek refined look of the the old skin. The page layout is hard on the eyes, I see colors everywhere. Compared to the old skin this is a HUGE step down.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Buttons are too big, the posts are far too wide...

I miss the old skin, it was quite functional. At least put in the option to go back, guys. There's really noe excuse for deleting it in the year 2011.

EDIT: Lmao, the posts are actually fine on the second page... But then the entire thing is aligned to the left, at least in FF4.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
We're currently tweaking some stuff guys, bear with us.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
The only thing I honestly don't like is the home page and viewing topic looks very ugly with the boards being small, and the buttons are huge. But that's it. :p

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Bionic/Jv, the BBR (and possibly others) are not linkable. Can you put a link to them via the neat little image-hide-away box on the right in some form?

Thanks.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
the buttons in the posts are a little too big imo but besides that this new skin is pretty amazing, im gonna switch to this from smash blue. props =]

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
There was a minor bug with the login boxes being duplicated that caused the error in Werekill's screenshot posted on the previous page. That bug was fixed, we're looking into fixing the dual login box now.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I'm really not digging the sidebar while viewing the topic list.
Can we have it only show on the index please. I like to use my whole browser window efficiently while digging through the list of subforums/topics. >:l

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
This doesn't answer anything, will the Revolution skin be made available in these tweaks? Yes or no?
Maybe. We still gotta talk it over. Reason being Revolution was cut and not smash blue and co was that revolution had some broken links, cut out graphics (things we removed, but it was not so pretty after doing so), etc.

Again like I said, we are open to feedback, we want to hear what you guys think. If enough people want revolution as an option just post and say "I would like to have revolution as an option". Thats all.

Then in a day or something here we will see what the community would like to see and make a decision from there. In the meantime consider this a day to expand your smashboard skin horizons ;) (And no I am not counting the day of Friday World Forums, even though "it should be like that every Friday" was the coolest comment ive heard all day).

Everyone else like to see you happy with it. If you notice any bugs, issues, have feedback, like i said keep it coming.

Alright 1:18, hella tired from my day and coming home from MLG Dallas. Night all

Top Bottom